Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-07-2013   #1
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77990 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Adam Schein on Schaub....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...houston-texans

Quote:
Meet Matt Schaub, the most significant player in the NFL this season.

Hyperbole? Hardly.

The Houston Texans are, in theory, ready to dance. Owner Bob McNair is one of the finest leaders in the NFL. The roster is rich, as general manager Rick Smith has put together a championship core with great surrounding parts.
Quote:
Simply put: The Texans have the best roster in the AFC.

Still, there's a "yeah, but" attached to Houston. Conventional wisdom says this is a top-tier Super Bowl competitor. Yeah, but can Matt Schaub beat one of the living legends, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, in the playoffs? Can he go on the road and knock off Joe Flacco and the defending champion Baltimore Ravens in Week 3? Can he take care of division rival Andrew Luck in December?

This is usually the time of year when the word "elite" overwhelms quarterback chatter. Which quarterbacks are elite? Who's declaring himself as such?

Nobody will argue for Matt Schaub in this discussion. Schaub is a very good, winning quarterback. The question isn't whether or not Schaub is elite, it's whether or not Schaub is capable of taking Houston to the one place the Texans expect to be in February: MetLife Stadium, for Super Bowl XLVIII.

Matt Schaub's 2012 season was somewhere between solid and strong. He finished tied for 15th in touchdown passes (with 22) while ranking 11th in passing yards (4,008) and sixth in completion percentage (64.3). Schaub threw just 12 picks in 544 passes.

That's all good. But it has to be better. Just ask Matt Schaub.
Quote:
NBC cameras caught the usually stoic quarterback fist pumping with a deserved expression of satisfaction on his face.

Big deal, eh Matt?

"It was," Schaub confirmed last week. "To me, personally, after dealing with what I dealt with the year before, with my foot injury and coming back and fighting all the way back to that moment. How disappointing the last month had been. Winning the division, but falling short of the ultimate regular-season goal of getting a 1 seed. To go out there and win that game and have that play and to be put in that position to get the ball to Garrett to where we seal the deal. He made the play and took a pretty good hit for it, but it was a good moment. I guess that's what that expressed when the camera caught that, but I don't want to make too big a deal of it, because that was only one step in the climb towards a championship. But that was a big deal for me."
Quote:
The AFC is wide open. Frankly, compared to the NFC, I think it is very weak. The opportunity is there for Houston. Schaub craves a championship, knowing that the writing is on the wall with this group.

"At this point, after the last couple of years, it's a championship or nothing for us," Schaub said.

There's a positive vibe about Houston around the league. What's the vibe about Schaub?

A rival player told me this: "I like Matt. He's a good player. He got over a hump last year. I think that will help him get over the next one. And you can never underestimate his toughness."

As one general manager explained, "If DeAndre Hopkins steps up at receiver opposite Andre, that's big. Can Matt and Gary top Brady and (Bill) Belichick in the playoffs? I know Houston has a better defense and run game. Matt must be a positive in that spot. Last December was concerning."

Another GM says Schaub is not Brady or Aaron Rodgers and doesn't elevate his receivers: "He can spin the rock, but lacks the 'it' factor. Needs a great supporting cast and he has a chance. Not sure he has the receiving corps to get it done."
A couple years ago I never would have thought I would hear the word "toughness" used about Matt. He has a lot to prove and all the pressure to go along with it.

While most point at the faltering of the defense down the stretch last season the blame still falls on the QB. He is the team leader and the face so he gets the blame because he didn't exactly play good.

This team though is loaded from top to bottom and I honestly believe that they are the most talented in the AFC and top 3 in the NFL.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Adam Schein on Schaub....

Going into 2012, everyone said the Texans were a starting QB away from the Super Bowl. Well, they got their starter back for all 16 games in 2012. 'Nuff said.
Old 08-07-2013   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting read, thanks for posting.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
This team though is loaded from top to bottom and I honestly believe that they are the most talented in the AFC and top 3 in the NFL.
We're kinda sorta where the Cowboys were with Wade & Parcells. Very few people would argue those weren't talented teams, but the question was around their QB. They had a defense, they had a run game, but they also had Tony Romo.

I like Romo as a player, love to watch him play. But I don't want him as a Texan, because of that choke factor. Totally different type of player than Schaub, but the end results so far has been the same.

We should have won the Super Bowl in 2011. No doubt in my mind we'd have beat New England in the AFC Championship game.

We should have won the Super Bowl in 2012, you can't tell me we aren't talented enough.

I think our window closes here in 2013. If we don't win it this year, we're not going to with the group we have here; Smith, Kubiak, & Schaub. We might win 10 games in 2014, but we won't be as close to a Super Bowl as we are today. They won't change Matt Schaub, they won't change Gary Kubiak & we might be a "good" play off team through 2016, but we'll never be closer to a Super Bowl than we are now if we don't win it in 2013.
Old 08-07-2013   #5
TexansRule1
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think our window closes here in 2013. If we don't win it this year, we're not going to with the group we have here; Smith, Kubiak, & Schaub. We might win 10 games in 2014, but we won't be as close to a Super Bowl as we are today. They won't change Matt Schaub, they won't change Gary Kubiak & we might be a "good" play off team through 2016, but we'll never be closer to a Super Bowl than we are now if we don't win it in 2013.
Can you elaborate on this? Why?
TexansRule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansRule1 View Post
Can you elaborate on this? Why?
I'm just being Debbie Downer.

We're extremely lucky that Aj is still playing at the level he is playing at. & Arian Foster is already past the life expectancy of the avg running back.

Antonio had a career year in 2011, then again in 2012. Chances of him doing it again is slim. Jj Watt can't play any better than he did last season (I know... I know...)

But we aren't as young as we used to be & it's going to be difficult to keep this up past three years.... this would be our third year of 10+ wins.

The Colts finally got one after years with Peyton, we could get lucky like that, but I think the odds are against it.

The Patriots haven't won one, since Tom Brady became the Patriots. Remember they used to have a run game & a defense...

But the time is now, if we don't win it this year, I don't think we will anytime soon. We might be good enough to win 10 games in 2015 & 2016, but after that... not so much.
Old 08-07-2013   #7
since02
"Step 1"

Rep Power: 0 since02 since02 since02 since02 since02 since02 since02 since02 since02 since02 since02

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I agree, but I'm basing it not on age, and how players produced the past two seasons... I'm basing it on the fact that ALOT of contacts of key players are coming up and were not going to be able to retain alot of them... The core of the team is soon to fall apart.
since02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2013   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by since02 View Post
I agree, but I'm basing it not on age, and how players produced the past two seasons... I'm basing it on the fact that ALOT of contacts of key players are coming up and were not going to be able to retain alot of them... The core of the team is soon to fall apart.
Who do you consider the "core" of the team?

2014: Antonio Smith, Cushing
2015: OD, Manning, KJ, JJ Watt
2016: JJo, Chris Myers
2017: AJ, Schaub, Arian, Hopkins
2019: Duane Brown

This FO has done a good job stockpiling talent and has been almost draconian in letting people go before they turn into an issue: Dunta, Demeco, Winston, Brisiel. The mark of a good FO is the ability to re-load by letting costly vets go, signing the important guys, and drafting everyone's replacement. This FO has shown signs they can do that.

So I'm not worried about losing the core players at this point. We'll burn that bridge when we get there.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #9
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Who do you consider the "core" of the team?

2014: Antonio Smith, Cushing
2015: OD, Manning, KJ, JJ Watt
2016: JJo, Chris Myers
2017: AJ, Schaub, Arian, Hopkins
2019: Duane Brown

This FO has done a good job stockpiling talent and has been almost draconian in letting people go before they turn into an issue: Dunta, Demeco, Winston, Brisiel. The mark of a good FO is the ability to re-load by letting costly vets go, signing the important guys, and drafting everyone's replacement. This FO has shown signs they can do that.

So I'm not worried about losing the core players at this point. We'll burn that bridge when we get there.
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to The Pencil Neck again"
Old 08-08-2013   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...houston-texans

A couple years ago I never would have thought I would hear the word "toughness" used about Matt. He has a lot to prove and all the pressure to go along with it.

While most point at the faltering of the defense down the stretch last season the blame still falls on the QB. He is the team leader and the face so he gets the blame because he didn't exactly play good.

Uh, no it's actually been quite the opposite. People placing the lions share of the blame on Matt and pretty much giving the defense a pass.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Uh, no it's actually been quite the opposite. People placing the lions share of the blame on Matt and pretty much giving the defense a pass.
I heard a lot about how we had no outside pass rush, how our ILBs suck after losing Cush, how we had no presence in the middle, how Demps, Keo, McCain, B Harris, and Ball suck.

I heard how our ST was terrible, and that Marciano should have been fired.

But everything is still on the QB.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #12
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Everything I can find from TC of his footwork, Dr. CND...

--houstontexans.com
Old 08-14-2013   #13
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Courtesy http://www.texansbullpen.com/

Courtesy http://www.texansbullpen.com/
Old 08-26-2013   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Courtesy of TexansBullpen: http://www.texansbullpen.com/

Looking better Doc, no?
Old 08-26-2013   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Schaub looks less like a statue so far this preseason.
I think the weigh loss can help him a little this year.
I hope is probably a better choice of words.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #16
idymoe
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 idymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respectedidymoe is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Looking better Doc, no?

Check out Brooks in each one of those shots.
idymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #17
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by idymoe View Post
Yeah, he's a hoss. Never heard his name called, a good thing.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #18
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77990 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I think Schaub looks less like a statue so far this preseason.
I think the weigh loss can help him a little this year.
I hope is probably a better choice of words.
I was at the game Sunday and he looks slower in real life than on TV
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #19
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by idymoe View Post
IMO he's been the best lineman during preseason. any time i focus on brooks, his man is absolutely stoned. he's even able to tag one guy and slide to help outside, effectively collecting two blocks. i'm also seeing fewer and fewer mental issues, he's firing off better and more decisively each outing.

newton on the other hand, well mama said if i cant say something nice ...
Old 08-26-2013   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leawood Hustla View Post
anybody catch that fox graphic in the saints game where they showed schaub's win loss record vs playoff or winning teams?
Yeah, and it is a bogus stat. Teams win and lose games and every one of them does better against non-playoff teams.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read