Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Choose one. Have funk!
Trevardo Williams 2 2.47%
Deandre Hopkins 51 62.96%
DJ Swearinger 25 30.86%
Ryan Griffin 0 0%
Alan Bonner 0 0%
Sam Montgomery 0 0%
Willie Jefferson 1 1.23%
AJ Bouye 0 0%
Other 2 2.47%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2013   #61
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013

I initially wanted to pick Hopkins. But a couple of thoughts changed my mind. - I want to believe in a rookie Texan WR making a huge impact, but in recent years, just haven't seen it from anyone, so I'm a little reluctant to believe this is the year. I would like to be suprised, but I'm a big believer in the notion it takes a receiver 3 seasons to really get it in the NFL. Sure, there are exceptions each year. Hopkins could be that, but I know too little to think with any certainty we'll be lucky there.
- Houston's offense is really balanced. With the likes of Foster and Tate in the backfield and Andre, OD and Garrett to share catches with, I think its safe to hope Hopkins gets 3 or 4 looks a game and makes the most of them.

It's likely to me that Hopkins' biggest impact this year will be as a down field run blocker.

Reluctantly, Swearinger gets my vote. Ed Reed's health is of REAL concern to me. If/when he is out, this position will be a HUGE concern and I think in this scheme, it's a position more suited for reasonable expectation for 1st year greatness.
Old 08-08-2013   #62
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's kinda funny how some folks thought I was down on Hopkins only to see now that many also don't want
to set their expectation up too high.

My original expectation was at low 30s for Hopkins, IF the core starters and rotational players remain relatively healthy.

My number one concern with Hopkins is whether he can handle a hit after the catch. In practice, our guys didn't go head-hunting on the receivers so there's no way we can tell. The sooner Hopkins can learn to set up the DBs, how to use his body to protect the ball, how to position himself to absorb the hit, etc., the sooner he can be a more effective receiver.

If some guys miss time, Hopkins should see more targets.
If he can learn those tricks of the trade early, he will earn the confidence of Kubiak and get more looks from Schaub.
Hopefully, he doesn't get down on himself like KMart and lose some confidence, and that he doesn't lose his focus like Jacoby.

If he can continue to improve on his phisicality, I could see a revision upward to the high 30s, and gravy if he gets more.
I'm gonna go with Hopkins over Swag if he can demonstrate this in the pre-season.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #63
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It's kinda funny how some folks thought I was down on Hopkins only to see now that many also don't want
to set their expectation up too high.

My original expectation was at low 30s for Hopkins, IF the core starters and rotational players remain relatively healthy.

My number one concern with Hopkins is whether he can handle a hit after the catch. In practice, our guys didn't go head-hunting on the receivers so there's no way we can tell.

If some guys miss time, Hopkins should see more targets.
If he can learn those tricks of the trade early, he will earn the confidence of Kubiak and get more looks from Schaub.
Hopefully, he doesn't get down on himself like KMart and lose some confidence, and that he doesn't lose his focus like Jacoby.

If he can continue to improve on his phisicality, I could see a revision upward to the high 30s, and gravy if he gets more.
I'm gonna go with Hopkins over Swag if he can demonstrate this in the pre-season.
Of course we'll never know until we know but my gut says you're off on your assumed numbers. Matt's certainly not having a problem getting him the ball in PS and developing the chemistry. The reason he quit throwing to Kmat & Jean last year was because THEY KEPT DROPPING THE BALL. Matt's talked about Hopkins' "large catch radius" on several occasions as well as saying he "just has to get it close" and Hopkins is gonna come down with the ball.

My bet's you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

As far as your:

Quote:
"The sooner Hopkins can learn to set up the DBs, how to use his body to protect the ball, how to position himself to absorb the hit, etc., the sooner he can be a more effective receiver."
I'm trying to figure out where in the hell you got that?

...and this:

Quote:
"If he can continue to improve on his physicality"
(got that for ya)

What on earth gives you reason to question this? All that's been discussed about Nuk since Day One is his body control and how he goes up and just muscles the ball away from two of the best cover corners in the league.

I seriously question your thought process/reasoning here and can't disagree any more strongly.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.

Last edited by drs23; 08-08-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added a smidge
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #64
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
My number one concern with Hopkins is whether he can handle a hit after the catch. In practice, our guys didn't go head-hunting on the receivers so there's no way we can tell. The sooner Hopkins can learn to set up the DBs, how to use his body to protect the ball, how to position himself to absorb the hit, etc., the sooner he can be a more effective receiver.
Have you read about what the Titans have been doing with Justin Hunter? It seems the majority of their focus is calling him out for being soft, questioning his toughness, etc. all in attempts to make him play tough. That was my concern with Hunter.

Hopefully AJ, Reed, and our coaches are teaching Nuk how to win while still protecting himself.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #65
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013

Why cant I pick more than one......dang it....Hopkins and DJ...no brainers....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Of course we'll never know until we know but my gut says you're off on your assumed numbers. Matt's certainly not having a problem getting him the ball in PS and developing the chemistry. The reason he quit throwing to Kmat & Jean last year was because THEY KEPT DROPPING THE BALL. Matt's talked about Hopkins' "large catch radius" on several occasions as well as saying he "just has to get it close" and Hopkins is gonna come down with the ball.

My bet's you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

As far as your:

I'm trying to figure out where in the hell you got that?

...and this:

(got that for ya)

What on earth gives you reason to question this? All that's been discussed about Nuk since Day One is his body control and how he goes up and just muscles the ball away from two of the best cover corners in the league.

I seriously question your thought process/reasoning here and can't disagree any more strongly.
It was just my impression after watching more than a dozen of his college games and reading a couple of dozen scouting reports on him.
He wasn't a concensus first rounder (and the ones that put him at the top of the second didn't hate on him; and neither was I.)
There wasn't any receiver in this draft that I was really comfortable putting in the first, mind you - just many borderline guys.

Like I said, we don't know whether JJo and Jackson truly played physical with Hopkins (and this can start at the LOS); we'll just have to wait until the real bullets fly.

If Hopkins had done all that (all the highly positive stuffs in TC) in his last year, he would have been highly regarded as AJ Green and Julio Jones, but he didn't.

Let's hope that he has been working real hard to improve his game.
If he can do those things somewhat consistently in real games, he will be a steal of a deal.
Old 08-08-2013   #67
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Have you read about what the Titans have been doing with Justin Hunter? It seems the majority of their focus is calling him out for being soft, questioning his toughness, etc. all in attempts to make him play tough. That was my concern with Hunter.

Hopefully AJ, Reed, and our coaches are teaching Nuk how to win while still protecting himself.
You and I both.
That was why I thought Hunter as another borderline first-second.
If he develops more toughness in his plays, Hunter has all the measurables to become a nice receiver as well.
Old 08-08-2013   #68
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
Why cant I pick more than one......dang it....Hopkins and DJ...no brainers....
Hey, you can always declare a tie.

It can happen.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read