Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-17-2004   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: more team speed at lb soon...

Quote:
I read somewhere that the Colts will be moving Freeney from right to left this year to create a bit more opportunity for him and for teams to have more to scheme for, so this kind of shifting of our linebackers will likely be something akin to that.
Not a LB comment here, but that seems like a good thing for Wand--the best pass rushing DE in our division moving away from him to take on Wade.
Old 08-17-2004   #22
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
The logical progression is that Wong likely starts on normal down and distance packages at ROLB, when it becomes more of a passing down Foreman will go out and Wong shifts inside and Peek comes in to man the edge ...
I agree with you. I think the Texans want Wong on the field most downs and Peek on the field for passing downs. But I have a question about this rotation. Generally, teams go to nickel packages is passing situatons, meaning that you don't have a 3-4 up front. Does anyone know what the Texans base package is up front in nickel and what does this mean for playing time for Wong/Peeks/Foreman?
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Not a LB comment here, but that seems like a good thing for Wand--the best pass rushing DE in our division moving away from him to take on Wade.
I can't find a link but I'm sure I heard that DF will be moved around the line to create different rushing angles and mismatches. I would assume that he would stay right on top of Wand when he plays us.

Mistril48, I think we will have Peek and Babin drop down and convert to a 4-3 using Smith and Walker inside as Tackles. I'm not sure how much will carry over from last year but I bet we mix in more 4-3 looks in passing downs. In this potential 4-3 look we could possibly have Sharper Foreman and Wong behind them giving us a 5 linebacker front.

Someone who has been watching the practices may have a better clue on what we may be inclined to do in pure nickel and dime situations. I will be looking at our sets during the first quarter this weekend.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004   #24
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

On passing downs the NT will come out and the nickle back will come in. Instead of a 3-4-4 look the Texans will have more of a 4-2-5 look. The OLB's will be more like DE's and the DE's will be more like DT's. However, out of that look anyone can end up doing just about anything. The OLB's can drop back into pass coverage. The ILB's can blitz. Even the DE's turned DT (Walker and Smith) might occassionally drop back in a zone blitz scheme where they cover an area and someone else blitzes. Any of the DB's could also come blitzing.

The more flexible each individual member of the defense is, the more unpredictable the defense as a whole can be.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004   #25
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
On passing downs the NT will come out and the nickle back will come in. Instead of a 3-4-4 look the Texans will have more of a 4-2-5 look. The OLB's will be more like DE's and the DE's will be more like DT's...
To bring this full circle, in the 4-2-5 look, I guess we think they will use Wong and Sharper as the 2, with Babin, Walker, Smith and Peek up front.
Old 08-17-2004   #26
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
To bring this full circle, in the 4-2-5 look, I guess we think they will use Wong and Sharper as the 2, with Babin, Walker, Smith and Peek up front.
Exactly. And right now it looks like Faggins will be the nickle, joining Robinson, Glenn, Coleman, and Brown.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004   #27
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
Exactly. And right now it looks like Faggins will be the nickle, joining Robinson, Glenn, Coleman, and Brown.
I like the potential of that unit, compared to last year.

I addition, I believe the Texans are considering using McCree in nickel instead of Brown.
Old 08-18-2004   #28
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I think McCree plays in the nickel because he is better in coverage than Brown.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #29
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Much better in coverage than Brown.

And when we are in the nickel, you'll most likely see us in the 3-3-5.
Old 08-18-2004   #30
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

wow is that really being considered?
starting brown in run situations then bringing in mcree in the nickel?
is that common at all in the NFL? i dont recall ever seeing safeties being swapped out like that before
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #31
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown is not that good against the run so it wouldn't shock me too much.
Old 08-18-2004   #32
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

^ brown is not that good against the run? isnt that his strength, i mean he is a pretty balanced safety but i would of though more of a run supporter then a pass coverer

and if he wasnt that good against the run like you say then why wouldnt mcree be the starter since he is better in coverage? or am i wrong?

maybe i misunderstood you

id like to know this information though, because in madden i use the texans online and alter my lineup to the way they have it in real life as much as possible
like i put robinson at nickel and faggins at cb in the nickel package and so forth
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #33
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I think Vinny meant pass coverage....

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #34
Vinny
shiny happy fan

yeah, I meant to type in pass.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read