Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2013   #181
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd round Sam Montgomery DE/OLB

Obviously if a players general physical conditioning is poor it increases his exposure to injury, and therefor the Texans have got to be very disappointed in Montgomery and may be less inclined to take another guy with his kind of issues, or atleast not invest a third round pick in such a prospect.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #182
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

The more i read about this guy the more i doubt he makes the 53 man roster......:/
Old 08-05-2013   #183
2002whitegt
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 2002whitegt is a quality contributor and well respected2002whitegt is a quality contributor and well respected2002whitegt is a quality contributor and well respected2002whitegt is a quality contributor and well respected2002whitegt is a quality contributor and well respected2002whitegt is a quality contributor and well respected2002whitegt is a quality contributor and well respected2002whitegt is a quality contributor and well respected2002whitegt is a quality contributor and well respected2002whitegt is a quality contributor and well respected2002whitegt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
The more i read about this guy the more i doubt he makes the 53 man roster......:/
No way they cut a 3rd round pick. Would be placed on IR before being cut.
2002whitegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #184
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Based on the fact that most teams had taken Montgomery off their draft boards there is a very good chance he would pass through waivers and could then be signed to the practice squad. That would give him a year to see if he can get his priorities straight.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #185
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Based on the fact that most teams had taken Montgomery off their draft boards there is a very good chance he would pass through waivers and could then be signed to the practice squad. That would give him a year to see if he can get his priorities straight.
Got some support for that most teams assertion?
Old 08-05-2013   #186
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Basically going off what Mayock said after Montgomery was drafted. I understand some don't consider Mayock as gospel but he does have more contacts than most and many teams and scouts are calling him for information. And Mayock would not have said it if it wasn't true. You just don't make up stuff like that and say it on TV. That's my support.
Old 08-06-2013   #187
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Montgomery is known to march to his own drums, the way Foster did.

It's the Texans gain if Sam can get healthy soon.
IMO, he's second round talent.

Similarly, I thought of Foster as second round talent.
He was better than Montario Hardesty when they played together (but didn't have the number to show.)
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #188
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
A little more support:

4-26-2013
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 1h

Source told me "there is no way that the Texans have all the info on Sam Montgomery.... even WE took him off the board." Yikes.
Old 08-06-2013   #189
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

And you honestly think that is anything? That looks like LZ slapping himself in the face.
Old 08-06-2013   #190
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I've heard that Nwhateverachu is looking very good in camp. He has speed to burn. he's atleast a PS candidate.
I want him to become a decent player cause I want that jersey.

NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #191
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A little more support:

4-26-2013
Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 1h

Source told me "there is no way that the Texans have all the info on Sam Montgomery.... even WE took him off the board." Yikes.
Personally, I thought it was Zierlein who didn't have all the info there.

According to what was out and around at the time, LZ seemed to be basing his assessment on 2 things.

1 -- A picture of a note the LSU S&C coach had put in his window chastising some players who had skipped a workout. ONE workout.

2 -- An interview where Montgomery said that when he was at LSU, he didn't respect the weaker teams and didn't prepare as hard to play them. He also said in that interview that you can't do that in the NFL.

When you look at the tape of Montgomery, he wasn't a guy who slacked off on the field. He did appear to have a slow get-off but that was because of what he was being asked to do in most cases. When he wasn't reading the tackle and could key on the ball, he was fine.

LZ and some other people blew those two things (along with the lack of get-off) into a big thing about him not being a hardworker and not being motivated. But that's not how I read those things at all.

He's got to get on the field, though. His being out of shape coming into the OTAs and Camp is kinda damning, though. JJ, Cush, and the Ninja should get him turned around.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #192
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
And you honestly think that is anything? That looks like LZ slapping himself in the face.
I'm not sure there is anything I could post that would satisfy your request for support. Personally I don't know why Mayock and Zierlein would lie or make up something like that. Say one did, but both??? Of course I am not in denial.

Last edited by Texian; 08-06-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2013   #193
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
“The ankle feels pretty good,” Montgomery said. “I’m doing drops, doing cuts, doing sprints, getting out of stances and everything I can normally. It’s a little sore at times but still I push through it and get better every day.”
Quote:
“Honestly, I feel like I’m right there with the team,” Montgomery said. “You know, I come out there every day with my notepad, my book and I take a lot of mental reps, write down everything, do what I’m supposed to do and I take advantage of every last opportunity I’m given.”
Quote:
“It was just a whole thing of being a pro, learning how to get out there and how to get yourself better without even being in the plays,” he said. “Ed Reed does such a great job of it; a lot of older guys helped me out. It’s helping make me into a pro.”
Quote:
“Well, you know, in life there is a lot of adversity,” Montgomery said. “Every man or woman has to conquer adversity in life. I believe that’s one of the things that helps you grow into a man or a woman. I just believe that I’m writing my history right here of what kind of guy I am and what kind of player I’m going to be.”
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...-better-player

Still waiting for the 1st Chapter, Sonic.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #194
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Personally, I thought it was Zierlein who didn't have all the info there.
It appears that Lance was simply reporting what his source was telling him. Nothing less, nothing more. I don't know if the source gave Lance all the information about SM and the reasons why they took him off their draft board. If the source did Lance probably used good sense and didn't splatter it all over twitter. You can always contact Lance and ask him.
Old 08-06-2013   #195
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
I'm not sure there is anything I could post that would satisfy your request for support. Personally I don't know why Mayock and Zierlein would lie or make up something like that. Say one did, but both??? Of course I am not in denial.
Look, I don't care if this kid ever plays a down for the Texans. I just don't think Mayock or LZ know the draft boards of multiple teams especially below the 2nd round. I'm sorry but they simply don't know about these down the chart players and if they pretend to they are pumping themselves up.
Old 08-06-2013   #196
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Look, I don't care if this kid ever plays a down for the Texans. I just don't think Mayock or LZ know the draft boards of multiple teams especially below the 2nd round. I'm sorry but they simply don't know about these down the chart players and if they pretend to they are pumping themselves up.
Look you were the one who asked for me to corroborate my post, I provided more than one and you choose not to believe either. This much I do know, Mayock & Zielein have better contacts and inside information than anyone on this board, including you, so pardon me if I choose to believe Mayock & Zierlein. They may not know every teams complete draft board but they do know plenty of people who do and confide in them. And like I said before why would they lie? and I am not the one suffering from denial here. There is an old saying, don't ask the question if you don't want to know the answer.
Old 08-06-2013   #197
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Nothing against Mayock & Zeirline, but I think you're right. They may have pretty good knowledge about the game & the players, & maybe some insight about what teams are looking for.

But I don't think their grades are the Gospel a lot of people think they are. It's impossible to make one list that matches all 32 teams with any usable accuracy.
Old 08-06-2013   #198
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Look you were the one who asked for me to corroborate my post, I provided more than one and you choose not to believe either. This much I do know, Mayock & Zielein have better contacts and inside information than anyone on this board, including you, so pardon me if I choose to believe Mayock & Zierlein. They may not know every teams complete draft board but they do know plenty of people who do and confide in them. And like I said before why would they lie? and I am not the one suffering from denial here. There is an old saying, don't ask the question if you don't want to know the answer.
I've seen several players with work ethic issues. I've seen several players with serious developmental needs. But I've never seen a player completely off every teams draft board for something as silly as what we've seen.

Unless there's a mountain of evidence that Mayock & Zierline are witholding, it just doesn't make sense.

Why would they lie? Because they heard one or two teams had taken him off their board, maybe a dozen... either way, it's a big story, so they ran it.

Not really a lie per se, just over emphasis on a particular thing.
Old 08-06-2013   #199
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Nothing against Mayock & Zeirline, but I think you're right. They may have pretty good knowledge about the game & the players, & maybe some insight about what teams are looking for.

But I don't think their grades are the Gospel a lot of people think they are. It's impossible to make one list that matches all 32 teams with any usable accuracy.
I think you're missing the point here, in both instances with Mayock and Zierlein, it was not a compiled list or anything that they had individually done. Both Mayock and Zierlein said their contacts (source) told them that their teams had taken Montgomery off their draft boards. In the case of Mayock his comment was most and with Zierlein it was one. I still don't know why they would lie about something like this. ????
Old 08-06-2013   #200
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I've seen several players with work ethic issues. I've seen several players with serious developmental needs.
Imagine how many more players you will have seen when you're 60.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read