Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-05-2013   #261
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans showing interest in ILB Joe Mays (UPDATE) signed

...................snaps..tackles..assists..missed tkls...stops
Code:
Sharpton 285     19	7       0	12

Mays     305	 16	9       3	 9

Sharpton  55	  7	1       1	 3

Mays     785	 79    10      21	53

Sharpton 210	 15	2       3	 9

Mays     236	 29	3       2	22

Last edited by Playoffs; 08-06-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #262
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think Brooks Reed would be better than both of them next to Cushing.
Old 08-06-2013   #263
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think Brooks Reed would be better than both of them next to Cushing.
You hope Reed is better

I've been rewatching some games and Sharpton is rounding into a pretty good player. I can't wait to see him next to Cushing. The key is Cushing; we better hope that he stays upright. I am so pumped. This D is going back up top, man.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #264
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Code:
Sharpton  28     19	7       0	12

Wow, that's impressive. Sharpton is in on 26 of the 28 snaps he took, haha.
And he batted down passes on the other two plays.
100 batting average
Old 08-06-2013   #265
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Code:
Sharpton  28     19	7       0	12

Where did you get those stats from?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #266
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Where did you get those stats from?
Pretty sure he got them from PFF premium contents.
Old 08-06-2013   #267
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Pretty sure he got them from PFF premium contents.
Well then that puts some serious discredit on them because they are obviously whack.
Old 08-06-2013   #268
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well then that puts some serious discredit on them because they are obviously whack.
I think it's just typo.

At any rate, I don't take some of their numbers as facts though.
Missed tackles, QB pressures, for example, are very subjective.
Old 08-06-2013   #269
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Code:
Sharpton 285     19	7       0	12

Quote:
I think it's just typo.
Yep, my bad. Fixed it.
Old 08-06-2013   #270
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep, my bad. Fixed it.
Are those total tackles or are those Solo tackles.

I'm asking because I've looked at a few different places and those numbers seem off even with the typo corrected.

*I know that different places will have different stats...Just asking for clarification on how the tackles are classified here
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #271
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31940 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm asking because I've looked at a few different places and those numbers seem off even with the typo corrected.

*I know that different places will have different stats...Just asking for clarification on how the tackles are classified here
Looks like solo not including sacks. And with PFF they will generally differ as there whole theme is to review game film and base their information regarding what they see instead of just number presentation. So if they don't think a guy was awarded a stat correctly their site will illustrate and vice versa and such.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #272
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The phrase cant make the club from the tub should apply to Sharpton.

He appears to be more fragile than Kolb.

You cant win with guys like Sharpton.

If Cushing gets hurt again the Texans defense is screwed. 50/50 chance
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #273
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

This is from ProFootballFocus. They don't use other people's stats, they watch every play and gather their own data. Their service is used by ESPN, SI, NFL.com & NFLN among many others.

Tackles- the number of solo defensive tackles made excluding sacks
Assists- the number of defensive assists
Missed Tackles- the number of defensive tackles missed
Stops- the number of solo defensive tackles made which constitute an offensive failure including sacks

More definitions & how they do it & why their numbers might be different: https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/faq/
Old 08-06-2013   #274
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You hope Reed is better

I've been rewatching some games and Sharpton is rounding into a pretty good player. I can't wait to see him next to Cushing. The key is Cushing; we better hope that he stays upright. I am so pumped. This D is going back up top, man.
He was upright when Slauson clipped him. I just hope he can stay clean and healthy no matter what.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #275
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
He was upright when Slauson clipped him. I just hope he can stay clean and healthy no matter what.
Yes, you just can't over emphasize the importance of good hygiene!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #276
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After having watching all of the regular season games that Mays played the last two seasons (I'm not going to bother to watch the two play-offs game because as reported, he missed a ridiculous seven tackles against the Steelers and the other team put up 45 points), I can say that the Broncos made a huge mistake resigning him to $4M per.

Mays did not have a better season than neither Sharpton nor Dobbins in either year. Unless he improves significantly, I would take Dobbins over Mays.
A healthy Sharpton is definitely the starter; I have no doubt about that.

Mays made too many mistakes in both the run game and the passing game;
He's hardly used to rush the passer.
Unless the Texans played against poor QBs or teams that run the ball a whole lot, Mays is not an asset to the D.
Unfortunately you have a better chance of seeing Bigfoot than you do a healthy Sharpton most of the time.
Old 08-06-2013   #277
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Wow, that's impressive. Sharpton is in on 26 of the 28 snaps he took, haha.
And he batted down passes on the other two plays.
100 batting average
MSR
Old 08-06-2013   #278
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Yes, you just can't over emphasize the importance of good hygiene!
Gary agrees:

Quote:
The work never stops. You’ve got to get ready to play. We just preach to our guys over and over again about protecting each other. There are some things there’s nothing you can do something about, but we’ve had our share around here, so hopefully maybe we’ll have one of these years where we’ll be pretty clean. That would be nice.”

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #279
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Sharpton has never impressed me on the field as much as he has impressed some of you guys. You can't tell how a player plays by looking at just a stat line....so those stats don't mean much to me. I have to see his assignment on a given play to make a stat relevant. Stats are for baseball in any case.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013   #280
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Sharpton has never impressed me on the field as much as he has impressed some of you guys. You can't tell how a player plays by looking at just a stat line....so those stats don't mean much to me. I have to see his assignment on a given play to make a stat relevant. Stats are for baseball in any case.
I don't think anybody has ever used the term "impressed" to describe Sharpton; his stat lines certainly were never impressive.

Sharpton was a fourth round draft choice; you expect a back-up at that spot.
If you're lucky to get a decent spot starter out of him, IMO, you're on the plus side.
And this is what I see in him.
But since he hasn't been able to stay healthy, he reverts back to an average draft pick at his spot.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read