Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2013   #241
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans showing interest in ILB Joe Mays (UPDATE) signed

Quote:
Herring on Joe Mays switch from 43 to 34: "That's what Joe's trying to do right now. He's learning the language & the system."
This actually may herald well for Mays being a better fit than with Denver, thriving in this system where his stengths can be played to.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #242
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTexans View Post
Yeah now that i think about it, a guy at the practice said it was "Davis" not sure why i just agreed with him. It was prob woods as he was the one taking the snaps with the first strings.

And i want the guys trying to prove themselves to knock the hell out of each other. If they all just play nice during practice then we would have a lot of talent sitting at home or on the practice squad.

Also it was Veterans day off on friday
What about the PUP or IR?............I think the discussion might be different if it involved players such as Hopkins or AJ............

May's position is pretty solidified. Whether starter or rotational ILB will be determined by whether he can knock the hell out of OPONENTS and perform in general in preseason games.
Old 08-04-2013   #243
SCOTTexans
Veteran

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
What about the PUP or IR?............I think the discussion might be different if it involved players such as Hopkins or AJ............

May's position is pretty solidified. Whether starter or rotational ILB will be determined by whether he can knock the hell out of OPONENTS and perform in general in preseason games.
Yeah, key word "guys trying to prove themselves". But im not sure if Hopkins should be excluded from that group
SCOTTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #244
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And i want the guys trying to prove themselves to knock the hell out of each other. If they all just play nice during practice then we would have a lot of talent sitting at home or on the practice squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Quote:
Yeah, key word "guys trying to prove themselves". But im not sure if Hopkins should be excluded from that group
Yeah, whether it's Hopkins, AJ, or Uzoma Nwachukwu I don't want to see any of our WR's trying to "knock the hell" out of someone.
Old 08-04-2013   #245
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't get the opinion that sharpton is a better player than Mays. I mean, he could be...but I can't even think back and picture him doing a bunch of good things. He hasn't had more than 15 solo tackles in a season....

I'm not saying the guy isn't good but I can't sit here and say that he's a better player than Mays. I can't really remember many good things sharpton has done. Can't remember any bad things either.
You pretty much answer your own question.

Remember I said that before the miss-tackles, Mays also took bad angles or got driven off by blockers quite a few times over the course of the year (both in 2011 and 2012) leaving a huge hole for the RB to shoot through and that he was also a liability in the passing game, allowing 2 TDs directly - and he didn't have that many snaps in coverage to begin with.

He made very few plays by beating a blocker; the majority of his tackles were unblocked - and as Wade had said, when you're unblocked, you really haven't done anything unless you were too quick for the blocker (in which case, I don't consider the defender to be unblocked so that doesn't apply.)

The hit on Schaub, for example, was unblocked; not only that, Schaub was also pressured by another defender. Mays didn't really make a play - according to Wade's standard. I mean how hard is it for a LB to get to a QB in such an instance.

Even if you count the tackles when he was unblocked, many of them could go for 4-6 yards; that doesn't do a whole lot of good.

Even if you count all of his tackles as "plays", the bad plays were enough to negate all of them.

So I do think that Sharpton has been a better player than Mays when he's on the field.

Obviously, you don't want to count on a guy who can't stay on the field, but that doesn't mean that he's not a better player than Mays.

I would take Dobbins over Mays to be on the safe side.
Until Mays cut down on his mistakes, that's the way I see it.
You just can't afford to have a liability on the field.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #246
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Yeah, whether it's Hopkins, AJ, or Uzoma Nwachukwu I don't want to see any of our WR's trying to "knock the hell" out of someone.
Nor would you want them on the receiving end.
Old 08-04-2013   #247
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I hope you're not suggesting that Sharpton doesn't make mistakes (in his limited number of snaps). Go back to last year's home game versus the Jags and watch Sharpton blow a goal line assignment and allow a wide open TD pass to Marcedes Lewis. The problem here is that one of these "liabilities" will be needed to start on this defense. I would choose the one with more experience (Mays) who can stay on the field (Mays). I think Wade will do the same.
Old 08-04-2013   #248
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You pretty much answer your own question.

Remember I said that before the miss-tackles, Mays also took bad angles or got driven off by blockers quite a few times over the course of the year (both in 2011 and 2012) leaving a huge hole for the RB to shoot through and that he was also a liability in the passing game, allowing 2 TDs directly - and he didn't have that many snaps in coverage to begin with.

He made very few plays by beating a blocker; the majority of his tackles were unblocked - and as Wade had said, when you're unblocked, you really haven't done anything unless you were too quick for the blocker (in which case, I don't consider the defender to be unblocked so that doesn't apply.)

The hit on Schaub, for example, was unblocked; not only that, Schaub was also pressured by another defender. Mays didn't really make a play - according to Wade's standard. I mean how hard is it for a LB to get to a QB in such an instance.

Even if you count the tackles when he was unblocked, many of them could go for 4-6 yards; that doesn't do a whole lot of good.

Even if you count all of his tackles as "plays", the bad plays were enough to negate all of them.

So I do think that Sharpton has been a better player than Mays when he's on the field.

Obviously, you don't want to count on a guy who can't stay on the field, but that doesn't mean that he's not a better player than Mays.

Ok.

I don't have a response for all of that. I haven't went back and watched his film nor do I plan on it. We'll see how he does with the texans is all ill say.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #249
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I hope you're not suggesting that Sharpton doesn't make mistakes (in his limited number of snaps). Go back to last year's home game versus the Jags and watch Sharpton blow a goal line assignment and allow a wide open TD pass to Marcedes Lewis. The problem here is that one of these "liabilities" will be needed to start on this defense. I would choose the one with more experience (Mays) who can stay on the field (Mays). I think Wade will do the same.
Honestly I don't know who starts, but just me not having seen sharpton much at all I'd go with mays. I know he's going to play fast and hit people. I have no idea what sharpton looks like as a LB really. So I'll plead ignorance here.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #250
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Honestly I don't know who starts, but just me not having seen sharpton much at all I'd go with mays. I know he's going to play fast and hit people. I have no idea what sharpton looks like as a LB really. So I'll plead ignorance here.
What are you basing your assessment of Mays on? Other than that hit on Schaub & special teams hits, are there any plays that stand out?
Old 08-05-2013   #251
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 4493 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What are you basing your assessment of Mays on? Other than that hit on Schaub & special teams hits, are there any plays that stand out?
I know his "hit power" is high in Madden.
PHILLYTEXANFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #252
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Of course not, Lucky.

You know that I'm one who likes to watch all the games before coming to a definite conclusion.

The whole body of work is really what we all should judge these guys on.

Rey already surmised that he won't review the games, which is alright.
You want to see how much a guy carrying on forward.

It is true that Sharpton wasn't on his assignment on that play, but it is not the only play that he was involved in last year.

I didn't judge Mays on one or two plays, but rather the whole two years.
You make me to back and rewatch some more Texans games (and whether you believe it or not, taking a hiatus for quite a few years now, has been allowing me a ton of time to watch football - that really is a given.

I do try to explain why I form a certain opinion; if one really looks through all the things, they know I try to stay away from the bias that is inherent in all of us (or a vast majority of us, whatever.)

At any rate, I went back and rewatched 5 games from last year that Sharpton played in. (I will re-review the other games).

I will tell you this, there's no doubt in my mind that Sharpton is a better player.

Lucky, go back and watch the entire game to see the plays that Sharpton made besides the one he missed.

I'm really honest here.
You have to watch each and every snap these guys take in the hope to evaluate them.

What I can tell for sure is that Sharpton was used in a multitude of ways, while Mays was a "limited" player.

I kid you not.
Just watch two years worth of Broncos games and Texans games.
Old 08-05-2013   #253
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

the Texans are better @ ILB today because they have both Mays and Sharpton. Neither is some sort of all world player. Mays is more proven because he has multiple season of being generic NFL starter. Sharpton has been in the system three years and has flashed energy/hitting ability but has missed way too much time because of health. I am fine waiting to see the battle play out on the field letting the one or the other win the starting job and the other being the top back-up for both ILB positions.
Old 08-05-2013   #254
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 70974 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Of course not, Lucky.

You know that I'm one who likes to watch all the games before coming to a definite conclusion.

The whole body of work is really what we all should judge these guys on.

Rey already surmised that he won't review the games, which is alright.
You want to see how much a guy carrying on forward.

It is true that Sharpton wasn't on his assignment on that play, but it is not the only play that he was involved in last year.

I didn't judge Mays on one or two plays, but rather the whole two years.
You make me to back and rewatch some more Texans games (and whether you believe it or not, taking a hiatus for quite a few years now, has been allowing me a ton of time to watch football - that really is a given.

I do try to explain why I form a certain opinion; if one really looks through all the things, they know I try to stay away from the bias that is inherent in all of us (or a vast majority of us, whatever.)

At any rate, I went back and rewatched 5 games from last year that Sharpton played in. (I will re-review the other games).

I will tell you this, there's no doubt in my mind that Sharpton is a better player.

Lucky, go back and watch the entire game to see the plays that Sharpton made besides the one he missed.

I'm really honest here.
You have to watch each and every snap these guys take in the hope to evaluate them.

What I can tell for sure is that Sharpton was used in a multitude of ways, while Mays was a "limited" player.

I kid you not.
Just watch two years worth of Broncos games and Texans games.
I see no need for this debate considering Sharpton cant play more than 2 games before he's out hurt again. All that we base Sharptons ability on is hope, he has never showed us enough in the NFL to base it on anything else. Atleast we know what mays can and cannot do and atleast he will be on the field and not IR.
Old 08-05-2013   #255
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am happier in that when Sharpton goes out and historically it is indicated he will, we now have some one to sub. Posters can talk all they want about Dobbins (and I like him) but if he could replace Sharpton, he would have. All I am saying, we are now stronger at LB.
Old 08-05-2013   #256
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I see no need for this debate considering Sharpton cant play more than 2 games before he's out hurt again. All that we base Sharptons ability on is hope, he has never showed us enough in the NFL to base it on anything else. Atleast we know what mays can and cannot do and atleast he will be on the field and not IR.
So how many games did Mays play last year ?
Old 08-05-2013   #257
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 70974 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am happier in that when Sharpton goes out and historically it is indicated he will, we now have some one to sub. Posters can talk all they want about Dobbins (and I like him) but if he could replace Sharpton, he would have. All I am saying, we are now stronger at LB.
i feel better about or LBs this year than i did going into last year for some reason, not sure why though.
Old 08-05-2013   #258
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know he played at least one, and so does Matt!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #259
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Joe Mays 2012 played in 6 Games
Sharpton in 2012 played in 7 games

Joe Mays in 2011 played in 16 games
Sharpton in 2011 played in 8 games

Joe Mays in 2010 played in 12 games
Sharpton in 2010 played in 12 games

3 season span Mays 34 games Sharpton 27

Mays - 116 tackles, .5 sack, 1 FF, 12 stf
Sharpton - 51 tackles, 1 sack, 1 int. 3 stf

Take it for what its worth but if we go off numbers then Mays is more productive and stays slightly more healthy.
Old 08-05-2013   #260
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Take it for what its worth but if we go off numbers then Mays is more productive and stays slightly more healthy.
This is why I'm hoping that between the two of them, we have 1 good player that starts most of our games.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read