Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013   #161
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
And all I said was he cleared waivers and signed on the Saints PS. Both those things are true, so I'm not sure what you're challenging about that.

CT, I'm not challenging anything.
I'm just saying that it certainly looks like the Saints had interest in Daniel before they knew that he would clear waiver.

Also, the Redskins indicated that they wanted to bring him back onto their PS.

That, along with the Matt Moore situation, did show that when a team hopes to sneak a player onto their PS, there's a risk.
All I was saying.

With a guy like Keenum in his second year, who has now learn the rope of the WCO, besides being familiar with a multitude of offenses from his college days - from the pistol to the spread, the option read, etc. - he can be more attractive as a free agent. There's more risk in trying to stash him onto the PS.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #162
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

"Dear Lord, please keep Matt Schaub healthy and allow him to take every offensive snap so we can have this fan excitement this time next year for our #2 QB."
Old 08-05-2013   #163
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think there is a reason they traded a 3rd rounder for a young QB and then signed a steady vet. Because they were moving towards releasing Carter.

His drug problem didn't just magically pop up in August. They already knew about it.
Yes, but they hoped he doesn't fail a drug test.

Look, the Jets picked him up; that has got to be out of sheer hope that he can kick the habit.

At any rate, drafting Henson in the third can't be good news for an UDFA like Romo.
My main point is that Romo was an UDFA who at one point seemed not to be in the plan, but he persevered and made it in the NFL.
Old 08-05-2013   #164
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Yes, but they hoped he doesn't fail a drug test.

Look, the Jets picked him up; that has got to be out of sheer hope that he can kick the habit.

At any rate, drafting Henson in the third can't be good news for an UDFA like Romo.
My main point is that Romo was an UDFA who at one point seemed not to be in the plan, but he persevered and made it in the NFL.
I agree with your point. Well, there's no disputing that....but what I'm saying is that I agree that keenum can have a similar type of path...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #165
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
To be fair, there was a room full of Texan fans booing Watt when he was selected. Most are now wearing 99 jerseys.
I was there for the draft party at Reliant in 2011, and while this is somewhat true that was more of a case of a few loud voices not an entire group consensus.

That writer is still garbage, and that piece that is presented in the link has no real analysis behind it, it's mostly the author drawing conclusions off of quotes. There's no actual comparison of Yates's current game to Keenum's current game, there's a whole two actual football tidbits in the article (That Keenum's deepball has improved a lot, and his command of the huddle has improved), and the rest is hyperbole and assumptions.

This article is piss, just like the writer.
Old 08-05-2013   #166
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I was there for the draft party at Reliant in 2011, and while this is somewhat true that was more of a case of a few loud voices not an entire group consensus.
Well, JJ remembers the boos.

Quote:
"How much love the city is showing me after booing me last year is awesome," Watt said. "It's so cool."

"A lot of them wanted Nick Fairley, a lot of them wanted Prince Amukamara," Watt said. "There were a lot of people saying I was just a big white guy, that the team was taking a high character guy, not the best football player."

Watt has a computer file of a video that shows fans at Reliant Stadium booing as the Texans selected him on draft day. The video also has interviews with some of those fans. One said he was canceling his season tickets. Another said it was a wasted pick.

But the last fan interviewed felt differently. That person said he loved the pick and that Watt would lead the Texans to a Super Bowl.

"If my dream comes true and we win a Super Bowl here, I want to find that guy," Watt said. "And I want to shake that guy's hand (and) say, 'Thank you for believing in me, and you were right.' "
I have never read an article by this guy prior to the Keenum piece. That I'm aware of. This reads as a typical preseason fluff piece that could be found on any web site, even chron.com. As I said, I don't see the outrageousness in this piece (by itself) that would bring up such venom.

It's the 1st week of preseason, and I don't know if the coaches know who the starters are at RT or MO LB, much less who the backup QB is. Maybe in 4 weeks, the piece will look like hot garbage or brilliant insight. Who really knows?
Old 08-05-2013   #167
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
If he ended up with Sean Payton and the Saints as TK suggested, he would still be a backup QB to Brees, most likely.
I don't think the Saints were going to be looking for a starting caliber guy like Brees. They'd have been looking for a veteran back up to Tony.
Old 08-05-2013   #168
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ummmm...

Maybe Romo ends up starting sooner if Carter had lasted a bit longer.
I'm going to admit I didn't look at the chronology.... he said Carter, I went with it.

Bledsoe was brought in to be a starter in Romo's second year. Obviously the feelings on Romo weren't so high at that time. I like to think there was another QB there on the roster between Bledsoe & Romo. Romo didn't "win" the back-up job until 2006. (Just checked, it was Drew Henson).

OT; Bledsoe is the guy I think about when I think about QBs similar to Schaub. Very good in the pocket. Probably good enough to get you to a Super Bowl... Probably never win one.

However, we can change him out with a more mobile guy, like Romo & thread water for a decade.
Old 08-05-2013   #169
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
????

But I don't believe Carter staying there was ever in the plans. Therefore I don't believe Romo was ever going to be cut because of QC.
Jerrah loved him some Quincy Carter. The drug thing was probably the only way Parcells could get rid of him.
Old 08-05-2013   #170
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
OT; Bledsoe is the guy I think about when I think about QBs similar to Schaub. Very good in the pocket. Probably good enough to get you to a Super Bowl... Probably never win one.

However, we can change him out with a more mobile guy, like Romo & thread water for a decade.
Whoa...Now you've gone and switched directions (or so it seems)...

Is this your argument against Case/Yates?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #171
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm a big JJ Watt fan, but he is one of those guys that wants a chip on his shoulder. If it was 1 fan out 60,000, he'd carry that around with him.

He's been on this crusade against The Doubters(tm) this off season, and he's arguing against people that think it's reasonable not to expect him to have the all time greatest season by a defensive lineman again.

That's kind of making up an enemy, but if it makes him play better and work harder, by all means, you can put me at the front of the hater line.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #172
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Whoa...Now you've gone and switched directions (or so it seems)...

Is this your argument against Case/Yates?
OT= off topic

I honestly don't think there is a competition. If there was going to be someone competing with Yates, it would be someone with playing time.

I don't believe Kubiak Kubiak sees Yates as anything but a back-up, & don't believe he's going to keep him on the roster past this year (this is his third year). If Keenum impresses Kubiak, Keenum will be our back up next year & we'll find another guy to develop.

Keenum is fighting with McGee for the third spot & a spot on next years roster.
Old 08-05-2013   #173
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jerrah loved him some Quincy Carter. The drug thing was probably the only way Parcells could get rid of him.
He wanted Carter to be Vick so so bad.
GuerillaBlack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #174
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

McClain today pointed out Keenum has not had even one pass batted down during TC. Although not even close to the 6'4" and 6'5" height of Yates and Schaub, he attributed this to the invaluable talent of Keenum having total control of navigating the passing lanes.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #175
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
McClain today pointed out Keenum has not had even one pass batted down during TC. Although not even close to the 6'4" and 6'5" height of Yates and Schaub, he attributed this to the invaluable talent of Keenum having total control of navigating the passing lanes.
We used to have a QB here that was plenty tall, but had quite a few batted passes.
Old 08-06-2013   #176
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Keenum has not had even one pass batted down during TC. Although not even close to the 6'4" and 6'5" height of Yates and Schaub, he attributed this to the invaluable talent of Keenum having total control of navigating the passing lanes.
This is one of the things I mentioned when I evaluate his play in college.

The guy is straight smart. It's really remarkable how few of his passes were batted down, and he put up a ton of them.

I need to see him against JJ Watt though.
Old 08-06-2013   #177
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 8515 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
keenum can model qb's like drew brees. keenum is actually a little bigger and taller. there's a lot of tangibles being a qb besides height and size (IQ, vision, reading defenses, speed, etc.)
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #178
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Want to emphasize that not everybody sees things the same way. That happens with games too.

But saying "Case Keenum grabs early edge" when he's not taking the vast majority of 2nd team snaps is a fart noises article. Just seeing the headline makes me angry because I think it is affirmatively misleading to people who cannot see most of this themselves.

I'm going to be away from camp next week so I know how it is when you want real news and you get this bleep.
Well I think I will say Case grabs early edge, LOL. I'm sorry texans-chick, I love all your articles but I can't forget your statements from before. If Case rocks the rest of preseason the competition is on IMHO. If case has not had much 2nd team practice reps then they need to give it to him.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #179
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
Well I think I will say Case grabs early edge, LOL. I'm sorry texans-chick, I love all your articles but I can't forget your statements from before. If Case rocks the rest of preseason the competition is on IMHO. If case has not had much 2nd team practice reps then they need to give it to him.
This is really getting funny.

There is no competition.
Old 08-10-2013   #180
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is really getting funny.

There is no competition.
What is your source for this assertion?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read