Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013   #141
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Romo was a third stringer in 2004.
He wasn't thought of very highly entering 2005, as the Cowboys signed veteran Testaverde and traded a third rounder to obtain Drew Henson.
Quincy Carter was the starter (a former second rounder in 2001.)
It looked as if Romo was about to be cut when Carter failed a drug test; who knows where Romo might be now had Carter stayed clean.
Romo wasn't going anywhere, well, sorta... The Cowboys thought they had something special the minute they signed him. At least their offensive coordinator Sean Peyton did. Sean Peyton was very familiar with Tony Romo as they both were quarterbacks for Eastern Illinois.

It may be urban legend, but the way I heard it someone from his alma mater asked Payton to take a look at Tony Romo. Payton got familiar with him & "worked" with him while he was at Eastern Illinois. Payton got on with the Cowboys under Bill Parcels.

The way it was told to me, was the Payton wanted to bring Romo to Nawl'ns, but Parcel wouldn't allow it. Had Quincy Carter been able to stay clean & continued as the Cowboys starting QB, Romo would have gone to New Orleans with Sean Payton.
Old 08-05-2013   #142
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

As to Mr. Daniel, your memory is a bit off. Yeah, he did end up with the Saints the next day, but he ended up there because nobody claimed him off of waivers, and for whatever reason he chose to .
Are you sure, my man?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-chase-daniel/
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #143
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Romo wasn't going anywhere, well, sorta... The Cowboys thought they had something special the minute they signed him. At least their offensive coordinator Sean Peyton did. Sean Peyton was very familiar with Tony Romo as they both were quarterbacks for Eastern Illinois.

It may be urban legend, but the way I heard it someone from his alma mater asked Payton to take a look at Tony Romo. Payton got familiar with him & "worked" with him while he was at Eastern Illinois. Payton got on with the Cowboys under Bill Parcels.

The way it was told to me, was the Payton wanted to bring Romo to Nawl'ns, but Parcel wouldn't allow it. Had Quincy Carter been able to stay clean & continued as the Cowboys starting QB, Romo would have gone to New Orleans with Sean Payton.
Basically, you're saying that Romo would have been cut by the Cowboys, right?
Old 08-05-2013   #144
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That Daniels cleared waivers? Yeah - I am.

From the article you linked:
Quote:
Per a league source, the notice regarding waiver claims arrived from Park Avenue at 4:45 p.m. ET on Sunday. “That is the first time any team could have known that Chase Daniel actually cleared waivers and was a free agent,” the source said.
That Daniel signed with the Saints as a PS player? Yeah - I am.

From the Sept. 7th New Orleans Times Picayune.
Quote:
Not many quarterbacks can literally look up to the Saints' Drew Brees, who has emerged as one of the NFL's elite passers despite measuring 6 feet, 0 inches. But rookie Chase Daniel, who appears to be about an inch shorter, will do just that now that he's signed on as New Orleans' practice squad QB.
LINK
Old 08-05-2013   #145
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_gt View Post
Everyone today on 610 (mark) is saying Keenum is doing well but all comes down to the preseason games.

Haters can hate but Case is making a run at 2nd. If he's working really hard and given a chance to play in the pre-season (something I feel he didn't last yr) and playing well, he will be the 2nd guy.

I really like Yates. He showed he can run and throw. But he had a terrible last year and some of those decisions last year were terrible. He's going into his 3rd year and Yates hasn't shown some significant improvement.

If anything, the battle between the two (TJvsCase) makes the team much better.

What do you think McGee's chances are of beating Keenum out for the #3 spot?

It's the same for Tj.

We are going to need one, or maybe two QBs to go into a game & fill in for Schaub. Hopefully it will only be for a Qtr, maybe a game at most. But If I'm Kubiak, I'm thinking I will need my back up QB this year. Tj gets the nod, because of his "extensive" experience playing in real games, including play-offs, & he's already got experience leading the offense, from a leadership pov.

Nothing against Case, but he's going to have to wait behind Tj, just like Romo had to wait behind Testeverde. Just like Kaepernick had to sit behind Smith & wait for an opportunity.

Matt's the starter, he's not going to lose his job unless someone comes in & outperforms him on game day. Yates is the back up, he's not going to lose his job this year, unless someone outperforms him on game day.

Now, if Keenum puts on a good show through camp & the team gets comfortable with him, there's a good chance we'll let Tj go at the end of the year, give Keenum another year to get an opportunity, & bring in another prospect.

It's just highly unlikely that an undrafted QB is going to unseat Yates.
Old 08-05-2013   #146
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Basically, you're saying that Romo would have been cut by the Cowboys, right?
Or traded to the Saints.
Old 08-05-2013   #147
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Romo took over for Bledsoe. What does Quincy Carter have to do with that?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #148
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
That Daniels cleared waivers? Yeah - I am.

From the article you linked:

That Daniel signed with the Saints as a PS player? Yeah - I am.

From the Sept. 7th New Orleans Times Picayune.

LINK
CT, I read it as the Saints worked out a deal with Chase Daniel before he actually cleared waiver.

It is quite possible that his agent already informed other team that he preferred the Saints, so they didn't bother to create an unwanted situation.
As I understand it, the Redskins also wanted to resign him to the PS.
But after Daniel chose to go with the Saints, he basically severed the tie to them.
This is a risk that a team takes.

For example, the Texans cut KW.
He went on to sign with another team for the vet minimum.

What I'm saying is that there is a risk, no matter how slight it is, when you cut a guy.
Old 08-05-2013   #149
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Romo took over for Bledsoe. What does Quincy Carter have to do with that?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quincy_Carter
Old 08-05-2013   #150
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
CT, I read it as the Saints worked out a deal with Chase Daniel before he actually cleared waiver.

It is quite possible that his agent already informed other team that he preferred the Saints, so they didn't bother to create an unwanted situation.
As I understand it, the Redskins also wanted to resign him to the PS.
But after Daniel chose to go with the Saints, he basically severed the tie to them.
This is a risk that a team takes.

For example, the Texans cut KW.
He went on to sign with another team for the vet minimum.

What I'm saying is that there is a risk, no matter how slight it is, when you cut a guy.
And all I said was he cleared waivers and signed on the Saints PS. Both those things are true, so I'm not sure what you're challenging about that.

Yeah, of course there's a risk, but managing that risk is what it's all about. If the Texans decide they want to go the PS route with Case again this year, it's up to them to judge whether he'll make it through waivers, and if they decide he likely will, it's up to them to decide if there's a realistic risk of Case choosing another team's PS. It's also up to them to determine the likelihood they're wrong, and if they're willing to live with that level of risk.

The same argument was on these boards last off-season (In May no less), with several folks (I honestly don't know if you were one of them) swearing that Case would never clear waivers if the Texans attempted to put him on the PS. And others (me very definitely included) saying it was ridiculous to think that another NFL team was going to use a 53 man roster spot on a player under the circumstances that would be present. Now we don't know what the Texans are going to do with Case this season, but what happened with him last season is a matter of record.
Old 08-05-2013   #151
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Huh?

Again, what do Romo and Carter have to do with one another?
Old 08-05-2013   #152
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 11376 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What do you think McGee's chances are of beating Keenum out for the #3 spot?

It's the same for Tj.

We are going to need one, or maybe two QBs to go into a game & fill in for Schaub. Hopefully it will only be for a Qtr, maybe a game at most. But If I'm Kubiak, I'm thinking I will need my back up QB this year. Tj gets the nod, because of his "extensive" experience playing in real games, including play-offs, & he's already got experience leading the offense, from a leadership pov.

Nothing against Case, but he's going to have to wait behind Tj, just like Romo had to wait behind Testeverde. Just like Kaepernick had to sit behind Smith & wait for an opportunity.

Matt's the starter, he's not going to lose his job unless someone comes in & outperforms him on game day. Yates is the back up, he's not going to lose his job this year, unless someone outperforms him on game day.

Now, if Keenum puts on a good show through camp & the team gets comfortable with him, there's a good chance we'll let Tj go at the end of the year, give Keenum another year to get an opportunity, & bring in another prospect.

It's just highly unlikely that an undrafted QB is going to unseat Yates.
Yates will definitely eventually go if Keenum improves and he doesn't get better. I can agree that Case will need to wait even if he is a 3rd stringer. If Yates can do somewhat on par to the results of Case, Yates will be the 2nd QB. Excited to see the dual in the pre-season.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #153
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66846 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a Case Keenum fan - in college. It's debatable how well that transfers to the pro game. There was a reason (multiple ones) that Case was undrafted.

As pointed out, that doesn't rule out the fact that he can overcome his somewhat short stature, lack of pro-nfl offense experience, a mediocre arm, etc. Others have done it. Case imo, actually in the long run is the better prospect than Yates IMHO.

To me Yates is what he is - a pretty decent career back-up. I don't look at Yates and see future starter. I just don't. But Case has an it factor, leadership skills, and that will to win that make me think that he at least has a shot from going to UDFA to future starter. Likely? I don't know. Let's see what he has this preseason.

But, that's down the road at least a couple of years in any event. He needs much more seasoning. This year it's about getting on a roster. And I think he has an excellent chance of making the 53 man squad and being that #3 QB. Is there a chance he beats out Yates? Sure, but it's very, very unlikely imo. Next year - could be different. Let's keep this year realistic, and we'll follow his career and see what happens.

I kind of feel sorry for Mcgee. Outside of you know what (knock on wood) I just see virtually no chance that McGee makes it over Case or Yates. Kubes is going to give the nod to the young guy that has some real upside over a Yates knockoff who is likely to be a career backup and Yates has been here and he experience in the playoffs. McGee should basically be trying to showcase any playing time to see if he can latch on elsewhere.
Old 08-05-2013   #154
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Huh?

I guess they're saying that if Carter had played well Romo wouldn't be there....

But that is just a funny way to look at things since the Cowboys had 3 starters in between the time that Carter left and Romo became a starter.

Might as well say that if Chad Hutchinson had played well enough Romo wouldn't be there....

Cowboys traded a third round pick to us for Drew Henson. Romo was not really viewed as an heir apparent and only moved up the depth chart when Henson bombed out.

Just a strange way to look at it to me.
Old 08-05-2013   #155
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Huh?

If Carter had stayed cleaned, the Cowboys would have kept him.
They signed Testaverde and traded a third for Henson.
That means Romo was likely the odd man out.
The possibility of him getting cut was up there.
And if he was cut, he might make another team PS or he might decide to go to work in a grocery store, I don't know.

If he ended up with Sean Payton and the Saints as TK suggested, he would still be a backup QB to Brees, most likely.
In that case, he wouldn't have been with the Cowboys the next year to take over Bledsoe's job.

Last edited by 76Texan; 08-05-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-05-2013   #156
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If Carter had stayed cleaned, the Cowboys would have kept him.
They signed Testaverde and traded a third for Henson.
That means Romo was likely the odd man out.
Ummmm...

Maybe they don't trade a third rounder for a QB if their starter was still there?

Maybe they don't go out and sign Testaverde either?

Maybe Romo ends up starting sooner if Carter had lasted a bit longer.
Old 08-05-2013   #157
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I guess they're saying that if Carter had played well Romo wouldn't be there....

But that is just a funny way to look at things since the Cowboys had 3 starters in between the time that Carter left and Romo became a starter.

Might as well say that if Chad Hutchinson had played well enough Romo wouldn't be there....

Cowboys traded a third round pick to us for Drew Henson. Romo was not really viewed as an heir apparent and only moved up the depth chart when Henson bombed out.

Just a strange way to look at it to me.
Rey, read the above post #155 and this:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_...Cowboys_season

Signing Testaverde and trading a third round draft pick for Henson while Carter is still the starter couldn't have been a shot in the arm for Romo.
Old 08-05-2013   #158
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ummmm...

Maybe they don't trade a third rounder for a QB if their starter was still there?

Maybe they don't go out and sign Testaverde either?

Maybe Romo ends up starting sooner if Carter had lasted a bit longer.
Quote:

Signing Testaverde and trading a third round draft pick for Henson while Carter is still the starter couldn't have been a shot in the arm for Romo.
Rey, the Cowboys took Henson first, then they signed Testaverde in June:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022

They cut Carter in August; he eventually went into rehab.
If Carter didn't have an addiction, he would have been kept, don't you think?

And if you're Bill Parcels, would you keep 3 young QBs on the roster instead of bringing in Testaverde who had played for Parcels.
Who is more likely to be the odd man out?
Old 08-05-2013   #159
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:

????

Do you realize that Carter was released the first week of camp?

I don't think the Cowboys cut their starting QB in the first week of camp just on the spur of the moment.

And I'm supposed to believe that the Cowboys traded a third round pick for a 2nd or 3rd string QB in Henson?

Maybe there is a reason they went out and signed Testaverde and traded for Henson.

Yeah, if Carter would have stayed there Romo likely would have been cut. But I don't believe Carter staying there was ever in the plans. Therefore I don't believe Romo was ever going to be cut because of QC.
Old 08-05-2013   #160
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Rey, the Cowboys took Henson first, then they signed Testaverde in June:

They cut Carter in August; he eventually went into rehab.
If Carter didn't have an addiction, he would have been kept, don't you think?

I think there is a reason they traded a 3rd rounder for a young QB and then signed a steady vet. Because they were moving towards releasing Carter.

His drug problem didn't just magically pop up in August. They already knew about it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read