Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013   #121
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
And so have others who are reporting things differently ...
Not the guy who wrote the article in question.

Look, Tj Yates is the back up, he's #2. Kubiak has said nothing different. No one from the Texans organization has hinted different. Yes, they've said there is competition, but no one other than this guy has said anything about Keenum gaining any "edge"

I like Case. I'd love it if Keenum can win the starting role & continue his winning ways in Houston. Steph may have some bias against Keenum(I've never thought so), but here all she is saying is that the guy who wrote this article made up the "edge"
Old 08-04-2013   #122
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Friday is not so far off now. Not sure how much time he'll see. The first pre-season game I would imagine who ever goes in right after Schaub is done is the back up, at least for now. Frankly I'd be surprised if that's Case. Very pleasantly surprised, but surprised.

My guess is a couple of possessions for Schaub, at least two full quarters and then some for TJ, and the left overs to Case. If TJ isn't ready to be the backup by now he is in trouble anyway, not withstanding Case.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #123
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't read the article as the author saying that keenum is ahead of Yates. I read it as it saying that he has a good shot to get the #2 position.

No offense to Steph, but honestly my feeling on a lot of what she says and types is based on: 'those guys' with opinions I don't like...it's ridiculous; listen to me and what I have to say about it'.

They'll be plenty of time for everyone to see and debate who they think should be the back up. This article is just someone talking up keenum for the job. Who cares.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #124
GoCoogs
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have the benefit of being at Training Camp, and have to rely on what has been reported. From all accounts I have not heard of anything suggesting that Yates play on the field has distanced himself from Case.

That being the case, I don't see why it is such a stretch to entertain the thought that Case might win the backup job.

Texans_Chick seems to suggest that there is no possibility of this occurring. I read her blog and her reasons why. I understand that Case has practice squad eligibility and Yates does not. But I have still yet to hear any accounts that Yates play is significantly better than Keenum's so far this year.

This will all play out soon enough, and Yates may be the best QB for the job, but I don't think it's unreasonable to not count out Case Keenum.
GoCoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #125
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoogs View Post
I don't have the benefit of being at Training Camp, and have to rely on what has been reported. From all accounts I have not heard of anything suggesting that Yates play on the field has distanced himself from Case.

That being the case, I don't see why it is such a stretch to entertain the thought that Case might win the backup job.

Texans_Chick seems to suggest that there is no possibility of this occurring. I read her blog and her reasons why. I understand that Case has practice squad eligibility and Yates does not. But I have still yet to hear any accounts that Yates play is significantly better than Keenum's so far this year.

This will all play out soon enough, and Yates may be the best QB for the job, but I don't think it's unreasonable to not count out Case Keenum.
I think the point is that TJ's play doesn't have to be significantly better than Keenum's. If he's better at all, he keeps his backup role.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #126
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The best chance for Keenum is just to make the team as one of the backup QBs.

Brady started out as a fourth string QB.

Flutie, after a year in the CFL, joined the NFL as a fourth string QB.

Jim Zorn made it as a third string QB his first year, but was cut early.
He latched on with the Seahawks the following year.

Dave Krieg was the third string QB his first two years.

Jeff Garcia started his career in the CFL as a third string QB, and didn't make the NFL until his fifth year.

Jake Delhome was on the PS for two years before making it as a third string QB.

It doesn't matter where you start, is what I try to say.

And I honestly can't agree that Keenum was horrible last year.
A horrible QB doesn't make the PS; it doesn't compute.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #127
GoCoogs
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
I think the point is that TJ's play doesn't have to be significantly better than Keenum's. If he's better at all, he keeps his backup role.
I am good with that, that's the way it should be.
GoCoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #128
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't heard anyone say Case is now the #2 .... only that (except for Steph) he has looked really good and is pushing TJ.

Personally, if I were the coaching staff and, at the end of preseason, Case has not asserted himself as the clear #2, then I would keep TJ as the #2 because of his experience. However, I would not risk losing Case being claimed off the PS.

I believe in Case and think he will start in this league. I don't expect it to be this year. But, I do believe he has more upside than TJ.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #129
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Ok you are right. College success always guarantees NFL success.

Signed,

Andre Ware, Eric Crouch, JP Losman, Graham Harell, Brady Quinn, David Klingler, Todd Marinivich, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Tim Tebow, Jeff George, David Carr, Joey Harrington, JaMarcus Russell, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, and Ryan Leaf.

Not worth replying to.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #130
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

"grabs the early edge" means he has the early lead, he's on the inside track, it's his to lose.
Old 08-05-2013   #131
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
"grabs the early edge" means he has the early lead, he's on the inside track, it's his to lose.
That's just how you're taking it. If I'm studying for a test and I put in extra hours of study time I'm gaining and edge. If I am in line for a possible promotion and I put in extra work, I'm trying to gain an edge.

I just took the article as building keenum up as putting in extra work to gain whatever edge he could. Not that he's now in the lead for the back up qb job. I don't know what Yates is doing, but no one wrote an article about him. He could be doing things to gain an edge too.

But regardless of what the title is, the article says nothing about keenum being ahead of Yates.
Old 08-05-2013   #132
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

They said he has the edge, not trying to gain an edge which would have been more accurate going by the other info we've gotten so far.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-05-2013   #133
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
They said he has the edge, not trying to gain an edge which would have been more accurate going by the other info we've gotten so far.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
That's not what the title says. Read it again. It says he grabs early edge. You're intepreting it as THE edge...However, I'm reading it as AN edge. Considering what the article actually says, I think AN edge is the best way to read it, but to each his/her own.

Sent from my Lap Top using The regular website
Old 08-05-2013   #134
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we're going to have to bring in a PhD in Semantics to straighten this out - the franchise is riding on it.

Sent by my noggin through my fingers out to the Interwebs.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #135
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That's not what the title says. Read it again. It says he grabs early edge. You're intepreting it as THE edge...However, I'm reading it as AN edge. Considering what the article actually says, I think AN edge is the best way to read it, but to each his/her own.

Sent from my Lap Top using The regular website
I won't try to interpret the title, but the article itself doesn't claim anything really. The strongest sentence was that Keenum is gaining on Yates.

This sounds like the correct scenario, in my eyes.

Gaining on means that Keenum is still trailing (for whatever reason); he has yet to surpass Yates.

Even those who who think that Keenum wasn't much of anything last year agreed that he has made good stride.
The only way that Yates can keep the same distance is for him to improve by the same amount, something I haven't heard from anybody, including TC or Lance Z.

By those accounts, it should be clear that Keenum is gaining on Yates; by how much, I don't know.
Old 08-05-2013   #136
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Now, more on undrafted QBs.

Kurt Warner wasn't doing anything his first four years after college.
He only joined the NFL as a third string QB in his fifth year.

The Seahawks had three QBs in 1997; they only brought in Kitna as third stringer when their starter went down with an injury.

Romo was a third stringer in 2004.
He wasn't thought of very highly entering 2005, as the Cowboys signed veteran Testaverde and traded a third rounder to obtain Drew Henson.
Quincy Carter was the starter (a former second rounder in 2001.)
It looked as if Romo was about to be cut when Carter failed a drug test; who knows where Romo might be now had Carter stayed clean.

As far as not being concern about another team claiming a young QB off waiver; it sure sounds logical, but there's always a risk.
Matt Moore was an UDFA in 07 when the Cowboys waived him on Sep 1.
The Panthers scooped him up the next day.
Old 08-05-2013   #137
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 8515 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone today on 610 (mark) is saying Keenum is doing well but all comes down to the preseason games.

Haters can hate but Case is making a run at 2nd. If he's working really hard and given a chance to play in the pre-season (something I feel he didn't last yr) and playing well, he will be the 2nd guy.

I really like Yates. He showed he can run and throw. But he had a terrible last year and some of those decisions last year were terrible. He's going into his 3rd year and Yates hasn't shown some significant improvement.

If anything, the battle between the two (TJvsCase) makes the team much better.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #138
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Another name that I recall is Chase Daniel who also went undrafted.
He was cut by the Redskins on the final day of cut and was picked up by the Saints the next day.
A year later, he battled with Patrick Ramsey and won the backup job.
Old 08-05-2013   #139
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Now, more on undrafted QBs.

As far as not being concern about another team claiming a young QB off waiver; it sure sounds logical, but there's always a risk.
Matt Moore was an UDFA in 07 when the Cowboys waived him on Sep 1.
The Panthers scooped him up the next day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Another name that I recall is Chase Daniel who also went undrafted.
He was cut by the Redskins on the final day of cut and was picked up by the Saints the next day.
A year later, he battled with Patrick Ramsey and won the backup job.
First, it depends on the preseason. When Moore was picked up, he was coming off of a preseason where he had a 72% completion rate, and a 100.1 QB rating. I think virtually everybody expects it to improve, but consider that in his rookie season, Case's preseason showed a completion percentage of 50%, and a rating of 68.8. If Chase has a QB rating of over 100 this preseason, I think there's an excellent chance he'll be on the Texans 53 man roster.

As to Mr. Daniel, your memory is a bit off. Yeah, he did end up with the Saints the next day, but he ended up there because nobody claimed him off of waivers, and for whatever reason he chose to be on the Saints practice squad rather than the Redskins. He actually did get promoted to the 53 man roster in late Sept. of his rookie year, but he also ended up getting waived 3 times that season (twice from the active roster, and once from the PS). It was actually January of 2010 before he was promoted to the 53 man roster and stayed there.

Look - I don't think think there are many folks (even within the context of this thread) saying Case has zero chance to become a legitimate NFL QB, but just like there are a few folks who (IMO) are unrealistically adamant in their stance that he's destined to be a starter in the NFL, there's some who (for whatever reason) choose to write off his chances prematurely.
Old 08-05-2013   #140
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Then we have Gary Danielson who was undrafted and spent two years in
the WFL before making it a career in the NFL.

Steve Deberg was drafted at #275 overall, which is basically an UDFA.
He went on to a long career after not making the roster his first year.

A lesser name is Jay Fielder, who was undrafted.
After not playing in 1995, he became a college coach for two years before making it to the NFL in 1998, finishing with a career 37-23 record.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read