Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2013   #221
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans showing interest in ILB Joe Mays (UPDATE) signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Granted, I just hope he doesn't become a marked man. The refs are calling a much tighter game now with the new rules which are different that what DJS has been accustomed to in school.
I wish I could remember where I read it but personal fouls are down. In 2009 there were 620 odd PFs called and last year it was about 460.
Old 08-03-2013   #222
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161936 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I have nothing to base it on but my "feeling" is Sharpton will not be healthy much but Mays will. A healthy Sharpton IMO would be better than Mays but not if he is on the sidelines.
Old 08-03-2013   #223
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222730 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I wish I could remember where I read it but personal fouls are down. In 2009 there were 620 odd PFs called and last year it was about 460.
Found this interesting site.......lists all NFL fines/players/$/action resulting in fine, by year........last year got pretty expensive.
http://justfines.com/listFines.php?year=2009

And this site also breaks down the stats on the types of penalties by year.
http://www.nflpenalties.com/
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #224
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222730 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I have nothing to base it on but my "feeling" is Sharpton will not be healthy much but Mays will. A healthy Sharpton IMO would be better than Mays but not if he is on the sidelines.
Old 08-03-2013   #225
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Also toss in Swearinger to that "you-will-PAY" corps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Granted, I just hope he doesn't become a marked man. The refs are calling a much tighter game now with the new rules which are different that what DJS has been accustomed to in school.
Honestly, I think swearinger's being sold as a big hitter is overblown. Yeah, he has some big hits and he will crush you if it sets up right, but he's not a guy out there just head hunting. He a much more well rounded player than people tend to think. I'm not at all worried about him being a constant risk for flags, fines and suspensions. That's really not his game tbh.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #226
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get the opinion that sharpton is a better player than Mays. I mean, he could be...but I can't even think back and picture him doing a bunch of good things. He hasn't had more than 15 solo tackles in a season....

I'm not saying the guy isn't good but I can't sit here and say that he's a better player than Mays. I can't really remember many good things sharpton has done. Can't remember any bad things either.
Old 08-03-2013   #227
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #228
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28177 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't get the opinion that sharpton is a better player than Mays. I mean, he could be...but I can't even think back and picture him doing a bunch of good things. He hasn't had more than 15 solo tackles in a season....

I'm not saying the guy isn't good but I can't sit here and say that he's a better player than Mays. I can't really remember many good things sharpton has done. Can't remember any bad things either.
One needs to be on the field to remember good things or bad. It seems as if one looks at Sharpton sideways and he gets hurt.

Some of y'all think Schaub is fragile, but Sharpton seems to be the definition of fragile.
Old 08-04-2013   #229
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Also toss in Swearinger to that "you-will-PAY" corps.
Kareem, Manning, & Brandon Harris are pretty good hitters too.

Them guys in our secondary are some serious dudes.
Old 08-04-2013   #230
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't get the opinion that sharpton is a better player than Mays.
To me it's like saying Andre Luck is better than Schaub. History doesn't support it, but the feel is going forward, you're better off with the young'n.

Other than that big hit on Schaub, I don't remember seeing many plays from Mays that was much different than what we get from Sharpton. Granted, like '76 I've only gone back a couple of years, but if what I've seen in the last two years is indicative of the play we're getting from Mays.... it's a marginal improvement at best.
Old 08-04-2013   #231
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
To me it's like saying Andre Luck is better than Schaub. History doesn't support it, but the feel is going forward, you're better off with the young'n.

Other than that big hit on Schaub, I don't remember seeing many plays from Mays that was much different than what we get from Sharpton. Granted, like '76 I've only gone back a couple of years, but if what I've seen in the last two years is indicative of the play we're getting from Mays.... it's a marginal improvement at best.
I'm not really a fan of the comparison because Luck just played a whole consecutive season. He's fresh on our minds. When I say I can't remember sharpton, I'm not saying that for effect. I literally can't remember him.

But I do understand what you're saying. As far as the film watching, I'm not going there. Some people look one way in some systems then look another way in others. I have not gone back and watched mays and I'm not going to. But I know what type of player he is and I'm glad he's playing for us. I'll leave it there.
Old 08-04-2013   #232
SCOTTexans
All Pro

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Just wanted to add I saw Mays at practice on Friday knock the hell out of Davis causing an fumble.

If it was in a game it would have been in a highlight reel
SCOTTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #233
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTexans View Post
Just wanted to add I saw Mays at practice on Friday knock the hell out of Davis causing an fumble.

If it was in a game it would have been in a highlight reel
The only "Davis" I can think of on our roster is Ja'Gared Davis......another ILB.
Is there another one I'm missing? Either way, I don't know that I like hearing any one of our players are getting the hell knocked out of by anyone on their own team.
Old 08-04-2013   #234
GoCoogs
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respected

From the tweets from today's practice, it sounds like the Mays signing lit a fire under Sharpton.
GoCoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #235
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Sharpton came from the U right?
Old 08-04-2013   #236
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes. So?
Old 08-04-2013   #237
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wouldn't it have been just as easy for you to google that and have an answer to your question?
Old 08-04-2013   #238
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wouldn't it have been just as easy for you to google that and have an answer to your question?
I took it as that Sharpton being a Hurricane implied something about him or his ability. Not sure what that would be.
Old 08-04-2013   #239
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Then I'd have to find another reason to rep Lucky.
Old 08-04-2013   #240
SCOTTexans
All Pro

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The only "Davis" I can think of on our roster is Ja'Gared Davis......another ILB.
Is there another one I'm missing? Either way, I don't know that I like hearing any one of our players are getting the hell knocked out of by anyone on their own team.
Yeah now that i think about it, a guy at the practice said it was "Davis" not sure why i just agreed with him. It was prob woods as he was the one taking the snaps with the first strings.

And i want the guys trying to prove themselves to knock the hell out of each other. If they all just play nice during practice then we would have a lot of talent sitting at home or on the practice squad.

Also it was Veterans day off on friday
SCOTTexans is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read