Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2013   #61
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Football Outsiders bullish on the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Clutts - Jones - Casey they still haven't replaced some of the best TE blocking abilities of Joel Dreessen. While it does appear they've replaced blocking successes of Leach & Vickers with Jones the Texans lose the versatility of Casey. Owen Daniels appears to be regressing and Graham has shown he's not any better. On paper it appears the Texans have taken another step or two backwards in the play from the TE position.
They might lose the versatility of Casey but tell me did the really ever take advantage of having casey last season ? To me it was his most unproductive year and he could of been used so much better than he was. So comparing the way they used casey to adding jones in there i dont see much of a difference and if anything it improves the running game. And then add on to it that we didnt have dressn last year anyways we wont be any worse.
Old 08-04-2013   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
well i dont believe Clutts is better than jones, but in that situation u have to consider what is better. A mediocra FB and 2 TEs, or 1 FB and and 1 TE. I would go with option 1 cause option 2 limits us way more.
If nothing else, leaving Clutts on the sideline should have helped us.

We still played 2 TE sets, Casey lined up at TE at times, it's just that there were no FBs on those sets.

& that's normal. We do that all the time. What we lost, were the 2 TE, 1 FB sets, which I don't know how many of those we ran anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
WTF? Dreessen was a good not great blocker. Hell Manning got less out of him last year than Schaub got out of him as a receiver. Jones is one of the best blocking FBs in the league.
Agreed. Graham is easily a better blocking TE than Dreessen. & I liked Dressen's run blocking.
Old 08-04-2013   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They might lose the versatility of Casey but tell me did the really ever take advantage of having casey last season ? To me it was his most unproductive year and he could of been used so much better than he was. So comparing the way they used casey to adding jones in there i dont see much of a difference and if anything it improves the running game. And then add on to it that we didnt have dressn last year anyways we wont be any worse.
I don't know. I see him the same as I see KDub, only slower. If the dude would get open, they'd throw the ball at him. If he'd catch the ball, they'd throw it more often.

Casey being unproductive is just as much on him (imo) than anyone else, since there was plenty of opportunity for someone to step up.
Old 08-04-2013   #64
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If nothing else, leaving Clutts on the sideline should have helped us.

We still played 2 TE sets, Casey lined up at TE at times, it's just that there were no FBs on those sets.

& that's normal. We do that all the time. What we lost, were the 2 TE, 1 FB sets, which I don't know how many of those we ran anyway.

Agreed. Graham is easily a better blocking TE than Dreessen. & I liked Dressen's run blocking.
i agree with this, but my point is texans chick said using clutss would of limited us, i dont agree as we could of used the 1 FB 2 TE set like u mentioned and when we didnt Casey could of still went back to FB. Thats my whole point.
Old 08-04-2013   #65
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22354 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
WTF? Dreessen was a good not great blocker. Hell Manning got less out of him last year than Schaub got out of him as a receiver. Jones is one of the best blocking FBs in the league.
According to PFF In 2011 when Dreessen was a Texans he was rated in the Top 3 in TE in Run Blocking.

Quote:
They might lose the versatility of Casey but tell me did the really ever take advantage of having casey last season ? To me it was his most unproductive year and he could of been used so much better than he was. So comparing the way they used casey to adding jones in there i dont see much of a difference and if anything it improves the running game. And then add on to it that we didn't have dressn last year anyways we wont be any worse.
In 2010 & 2011 when the Texans were at their very best at running the football, Dreessen was the primary blocking TE, Leach/Vickers were the blocking FBs and Brisel and Winston were on the right side. In 2012 Texans run game DECLINED and the above 5 were no longer Texans. There will be plenty of excuses and rationale to explain the decline but in the end, it is what it is.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #66
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
According to PFF In 2011 when Dreessen was a Texans he was rated in the Top 3 in TE in Run Blocking.

In 2010 & 2011 when the Texans were at their very best at running the football, Dreessen was the primary blocking TE, Leach/Vickers were the blocking FBs and Brisel and Winston were on the right side. In 2012 Texans run game DECLINED and the above 5 were no longer Texans. There will be plenty of excuses and rationale to explain the decline but in the end, it is what it is.
Last season we also had the right side of the line playing terrible, with newton and harris rotating, anlong with caldwell and jones along with casey not being much of a power blocker. Foster still did pretty good considering IMO
Old 08-09-2013   #67
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Who izzat masked woman in the bubba hat?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TroHT...ature=youtu.be
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #68
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Who izzat masked woman in the bubba hat?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TroHT...ature=youtu.be
Steph on camera!
Rare find!!
Repped!

Edit:
To the discussion on that video... sounds like the same argument we have all the time around here regarding Matt Schaub. Schaub has good-to-very good numbers historically but does not pass the "eye test".
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Steph on camera!
Rare find!!
Repped!

Edit:
To the discussion on that video... sounds like the same argument we have all the time around here regarding Matt Schaub. Schaub has good-to-very good numbers historically but does not pass the "eye test".
That woman knows what she's talking about.

One thing she said though... the Flacco narrative. "It was the defense that did it." blah, blah, blah.... "But then Flacco did it." She's right, Flacco is very inconsistent, especially during the regular season, but this wasn't the first time that Flacco nutted up in the play offs. Not that it's something that you can turn on or turn off, but once the play offs start, odds are that Flacco is going to be better than Peyton & Brady.

Matt Schaub hasn't shown to be able to be that guy. The defense didn't step up, the running game didn't step up.... well, Matt didn't either.

She's right, Matt hasn't had the opportunities, but the opportunities he did have weren't very promising.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read