Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you grade the first selection in the first round?
A 23 28.75%
B 31 38.75%
C 9 11.25%
D 2 2.50%
F 15 18.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2013   #101
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/1 Brennan Williams

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Williams finished morning practice but told trainers his knee was bothering him.

Rookie OT Brennan Williams is getting MRI on knee that was scoped and kept him out of offseason program.
Marc Vandermeer ‏@TexansVoice
Quote:
Kubiak: Brennan Williams had his knee swell up. Getting an MRI
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013   #102
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199937 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If it's truly a "minor" outer ring meniscus tear, 6-8 weeks of aggressive rehab without allowing exposure to re-injury or injury extension should result in return to play thereafter. Of course, if this is the case, he will still have fallen behind in his position development, having missed a good part of OTAs and minicamp.

If it is simply a "minor" collateral ligament sprain, he should be back for minicamp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

He was brought back too soon!

Quote:
His surgery occurred the end of the first week of June. IDEALLY he could be released to practice (non-contact) ~ beginning to mid August.........that's if he were able to maintain a semblance of conditioning to that point. It is obvious to all reporting, that at already at ~7 weeks post op he is nowhere close to appearing in shape. Conditioning for a big man is not an overnight, or one or two week endeavor. Even if he is released to "practice" one to two weeks prior to the beginning of the season, again I ask how much can he make up for essentially no previous experience in an unforgiving synchronous ZBS offensive line? Can you really afford to lose a roster spot just hoping that you might get "some" contribution...............from a rookie, as opposed to a vet who knows how to best handle such a situation. Even for a vet, it would be a challenge.........for a rookie who has little "clue" from the very beginning, this would more likely to be an insurmountable task.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013   #103
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans need a new Chief of Staff ..... I nominate you!
Old 07-30-2013   #104
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 48076 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans need a new Chief of Staff ..... I nominate you!
I second the motion...if that helps.
Old 07-31-2013   #105
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

-Tackle Brennan Williams had his knee drained following swelling that kept him out of practice yesterday. Williams did some individual work on the bike in the morning but did not participate in team practice.

"His knee swelled up on him," Kubiak said Wednesday mornig. "We drained his knee yesterday. It looks fine. We’re going to calm him down here for a day or two, so I don’t know if that means he comes back after we take our break this weekend or not. He’s up and at ‘em today, but we’ll have to settle it back down and see where we’re at.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...9-5617e5207b35
Old 07-31-2013   #106
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Quote:
If it's truly a "minor" outer ring meniscus tear, 6-8 weeks of aggressive rehab without allowing exposure to re-injury or injury extension should result in return to play thereafter. Of course, if this is the case, he will still have fallen behind in his position development, having missed a good part of OTAs and minicamp.

If it is simply a "minor" collateral ligament sprain, he should be back for minicamp.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
His surgery occurred the end of the first week of June. IDEALLY he could be released to practice (non-contact) ~ beginning to mid August.........that's if he were able to maintain a semblance of conditioning to that point. It is obvious to all reporting, that at already at ~7 weeks post op he is nowhere close to appearing in shape. Conditioning for a big man is not an overnight, or one or two week endeavor. Even if he is released to "practice" one to two weeks prior to the beginning of the season, again I ask how much can he make up for essentially no previous experience in an unforgiving synchronous ZBS offensive line? Can you really afford to lose a roster spot just hoping that you might get "some" contribution...............from a rookie, as opposed to a vet who knows how to best handle such a situation. Even for a vet, it would be a challenge.........for a rookie who has little "clue" from the very beginning, this would more likely to be an insurmountable task.

okay,

In the real world, the doctors on the Texans' staff would have shared similar information with the Texans coaches & managers, right?

At some time in the last 12 hours, someone should have been looking at one of those doctors with a big, "WTF!!!" right?

Surely no one at Reliant is thinking, "This is just one of those things.... again."
Old 08-01-2013   #107
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82375 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
okay,

In the real world, the doctors on the Texans' staff would have shared similar information with the Texans coaches & managers, right?

At some time in the last 12 hours, someone should have been looking at one of those doctors with a big, "WTF!!!" right?

Surely no one at Reliant is thinking, "This is just one of those things.... again."
The Texans team Dr.'s seem to have those WTF moments quite regurlarly. Starting with Tony Boselli and further to todays Texans Ed Reed/Brennan Williams.

I'll raise you DDW,

Welcome to the club of doubters.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #108
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The Texans team Dr.'s seem to have those WTF moments quite regurlarly. Starting with Tony Boselli and further to todays Texans Ed Reed/Brennan Williams.

I'll raise you DDW,
I still don't put Ed Reed in that category. I'm sure there wasn't an MRI or XRay to show Reed's condition where the doctors could have pointed & said, "There's a hip issue, I'd go cheap."

He didn't tell Baltimore about it, it was something he decided to live with. After we signed him, then he disclosed it. Probably said, "I got this thing in my hip. It sort of hurts every now & then, but it's no big deal."

Then the doctors looked at it & said, "Yeah, it might not be a big deal, but if it's going to turn into a problem, it's going to be in December & January."

To that, Kubiak & Smith said, "Ah hell no. Tell him he's having surgery now. He doesn't have a choice, we want this taken care of now. We'd rather he might miss game one than game 16. He's having that surgery now. Make sure he understands that."
Old 08-02-2013   #109
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I still don't put Ed Reed in that category. I'm sure there wasn't an MRI or XRay to show Reed's condition where the doctors could have pointed & said, "There's a hip issue, I'd go cheap."

He didn't tell Baltimore about it, it was something he decided to live with. After we signed him, then he disclosed it. Probably said, "I got this thing in my hip. It sort of hurts every now & then, but it's no big deal."

Then the doctors looked at it & said, "Yeah, it might not be a big deal, but if it's going to turn into a problem, it's going to be in December & January."

To that, Kubiak & Smith said, "Ah hell no. Tell him he's having surgery now. He doesn't have a choice, we want this taken care of now. We'd rather he might miss game one than game 16. He's having that surgery now. Make sure he understands that."
Did you use tarot cards for that or a crystal ball? Or have you been talking with our poster from North Texas?
Old 08-02-2013   #110
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Did you use tarot cards for that or a crystal ball? Or have you been talking with our poster from North Texas?
It wasn't disclosed on any of Baltimore's injury reports. He said he played through it including the Super Bowl.

I'm pretty sure we didn't MRI every inch of his body before we signed the deal.

& If I remember correctly it was reported that the Texans staff advised him to have the surgery (I'll try to find a link) but I don't think it was a case where he came in one day & said..... "I's got your money, now I'm having this surgery, I'll let you know when I'll be able to play."
Old 08-02-2013   #111
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
It wasn't disclosed on any of Baltimore's injury reports. He said he played through it including the Super Bowl.
Hey, if they don't know about it, keep your mouth shut and get paid, right?

Mostly, I'm just ribbing ya a bit. Sounded like something GP would post. Figured you two were coordinating theories.
Old 08-02-2013   #112
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199937 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm pretty sure we didn't MRI every inch of his body before we signed the deal.

& If I remember correctly it was reported that the Texans staff advised him to have the surgery (I'll try to find a link) but I don't think it was a case where he came in one day & said..... "I's got your money, now I'm having this surgery, I'll let you know when I'll be able to play."
With his history of major hip reconstruction in the past, and some of his performance decline in the past year, any team would have carefully examined that hip very carefully......and they Texans did, with an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). They evidently saw nothing. When he revealed his "deficit" in the other hip, the Texans went ahead and performed an MRA (magnetic resonance arthrogram) which would be the only test that would uncover smaller labrum tears....and it did. The MRI would have missed the same type of injury, had it been present in the reconstructed hip, and as such would have been considered an inadequate evaluation of that hip (Keep in mind, you would definitely want to know the condition of this hip, in that a high percentage of similar reconstruction will progress for the need for hip replacement within 5 years [Reed had the reconstruction the beginning of 2010]).

Furthermore, you would have wanted to know the condition of the other hip as well, as significant contralateral hip wear is far from uncommon. Finally, when you perform an MRI, through computerization software, it takes sagittal cuts/views (like a magician cutting a lady in half end on view[bottom illustration in Example #2]) and longitudinal cuts/views (like a sandwich is sliced with you being able to see the bottom surface of the top piece and the top surface of the bottom piece [top view of Example #2] ) of the full girth of the level you are examining. It's not like an x-ray where you can take a locally focused image such as one hand, one shoulder or one hip [example #1 below].

Example #1

Example #2

So putting Reed through an MRI for concern over either hip, would have automatically visualized the contralateral hip. In his case, the appropriate completion of a thorough evaluation INITIALLY would have entailed a simple injection of dye into the hip joints during the MRI.......which they eventually did.......but not until after they committed to his contract. Whether anyone would say that the Texans probably would have taken him anyway, no smart team is going to make that decision beforehand without that significant base knowledge of a player's condition.....especially knowing his age, his general wear, his vicious play style, and his extensive injury history.
Old 08-02-2013   #113
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
In his case, the appropriate completion of a thorough evaluation INITIALLY would have entailed a simple injection of dye into the hip joints during the MRI.......which they eventually did.......but not until after they committed to his contract. Whether anyone would say that the Texans probably would have taken him anyway, no smart team is going to make that decision beforehand without that significant base knowledge of a player's condition.....especially knowing his age, his general wear, his vicious play style, and his extensive injury history.
Thanks CnD... good stuff. Very thorough. Sounds like another "WTF" "Come to Jesus" meeting was warranted for our team doctors as they did not do their due diligence.

& I caught that you're saying this was not the hip that was reconstructed? I didn't know that.
Old 08-02-2013   #114
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Mostly, I'm just ribbing ya a bit. Sounded like something GP would post. Figured you two were coordinating theories.
Where's he been?
Old 08-03-2013   #115
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

I'll raise you DDW,

Welcome to the club of doubters.
I personally would not give up on Williams yet. He had a torn Labrum and missed the final 4 games his senior year but he played 13 games as a Junior and 10 as a Sophomore. He got hurt in minicamp, had his knee scoped, and was brought back too soon. He is a good player who is a very good fit for our scheme and I think he will surprise once they let him get healthy, probably next year. This will be an IR year.

Montgomery and Williams are the guys I'm worried about. Montgomery is looking like potential bust material and Williams has pretty much no pass rush moves, 2 year project.

Pretty sure we will be picking LB in the 1st next year, which of the 2 positions will depend on Reed's performance this year IMO.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #116
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I personally would not give up on Williams yet. He had a torn Labrum and missed the final 4 games his senior year but he played 13 games as a Junior and 10 as a Sophomore. He got hurt in minicamp, had his knee scoped, and was brought back too soon.
That's the point. We're not giving up on Williams, we're giving up on the team doctors.
Old 08-12-2013   #117
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Williams would do well to focus his efforts in ONE direction............lest he get his chance much sooner than he expects.

Brennan Williams Wants to Become WWE Pro Wrestler After Lengthy, Healthy NFL Career Is Over

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/07/brennan-williams-wants-to-become-wwe-pro-wrestler-after-lengthy-healthy-nfl-career-is-over/
Old 08-13-2013   #118
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Although the Texans have expected Williams to return this week, he continues to have problems with his knee. Next week is likely not be realistic either. The end of TC will be here before you know it.
Old 09-05-2013   #119
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Quote:
Brennan Williams has undergone microfracture surgery. Much more extensive surgery then he had this summer. #Texans
Old 09-05-2013   #120
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
And this is only one example of why I try to keep things "realistic."

From June:
Quote:
Team Injuries

HOUSTON (CBS Houston) - The Texans woes at right tackle continue with third-round draft pick Brennan Williams’ return now pushed out to July.

Williams had a prime opportunity move up on the depth chart with starter Derek Newton sidelined after knee surgery. However, Williams is less than 100% after suffering what was considered a minor knee injury during the second day of rookie minicamp on May 11. An MRI cleared him of any major issues but Williams did not participate for the remainder of minicamp. He was expected to return in time for OTAs.link

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read