Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-02-2013   #201
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31940 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans showing interest in ILB Joe Mays (UPDATE) signed

Kind of surprised so many posts on this. What's so different from this guy to Sharpton to Dobbins? Little. They are all interchangeable because none of them are above average players. All suffer in the area of pass coverage, all are decent to good run stoppers and all are decent rushers though Mays and Sharpton beat Dobbins here.

Not even sure where all the Sharpton praise is coming from. The seldom times he has been on the field have not been anything close to memorable. He's been exactly what the other two are....servicable. Nothing more than that. Servicable isn't something that makes me go 'Oh you are not beating him out!' If anything it makes me go 'Please beat him out!' I rather an upgrade if I can get one. If Mays is or not who knows. What we do know is the Texans liked what they saw enough to leap on the guy almost immediately upon his release. He came cheap so no harm or loss. We either got another servicable starter or more depth. Either way it came at little cost so more to gain than lose.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #202
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't even count sharpton as a player for us right now. I hope he comes back and has a good healthy season, but I cannot logically assume that will happen. As far as I'm concerned mays was a huge pick up because all we had as vets was dobbins and Cushing inside.
I share you concerns. And with his hip, groin/adductor, and quad problems, he is a perfect set up for "sports hernia" (Athletic Pubalgia).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #203
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I don't even count sharpton as a player for us right now. I hope he comes back and has a good healthy season, but I cannot logically assume that will happen. As far as I'm concerned mays was a huge pick up because all we had as vets was dobbins and Cushing inside.
Just Curious, do you look at Ben Tate the same way? I know we got more out of Ben Tate so far, but he is a second round pick where Sharpton was a 4th (& Mays was a 6th).

FYI, I feel the same way about Tate. I'd have liked for us to get someone that would really challenge him for his spot. Maybe one of the UDFA RBs can, I don't know. But I'd have felt better if we'd have gotten someone in FA. There were a few good #2 RBs out there.
Old 08-02-2013   #204
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Just Curious, do you look at Ben Tate the same way? I know we got more out of Ben Tate so far, but he is a second round pick where Sharpton was a 4th (& Mays was a 6th).

FYI, I feel the same way about Tate. I'd have liked for us to get someone that would really challenge him for his spot. Maybe one of the UDFA RBs can, I don't know. But I'd have felt better if we'd have gotten someone in FA. There were a few good #2 RBs out there.
Do I feel the "same"? No. Am I worried about Tate's health over the course of the season? Absolutely.

Tate hasn't been the perfect picture of health, but I believe we've gotten more out of him than we have out of Sharpton. In the last two seasons Ben Tate has played in 26 games...sharpton has played in 15...And Tate maybe could have played in more last year had he not gotten himself in the dog house. Tate has played in one fewer game than Sharpton and that is with Tate missing his whole rookie season. Tate has had one major injury...Sharpton seems to have a bunch of small stuff and then some big stuff takes him out.

I'll put it like this. I think we'll get something out of Tate this year. I feel pretty good about that. With Sharpton, I have no idea. He could come back to practice and tweak or pull or strain something at anytime. Tate supposedly had an injury today (I don't know how severe it is), but at least he's out there practicing.

But I get what you are saying completely...Tate needs to stay healthy for a full season. But I don't put him quite on the same level as Sharpton...

As far as bringing in another RB FA...I hear you, but I think with our cap situation, the UDFA backs might have been the best way to go...I think that we can find quality backs going the UDFA route. But it's not like I would be opposed to grabbing a vet back up....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #205
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I'll put it like this. I think we'll get something out of Tate this year. I feel pretty good about that. With Sharpton, I have no idea. He could come back to practice and tweak or pull or strain something at anytime. Tate supposedly had an injury today (I don't know how severe it is), but at least he's out there practicing.

But I get what you are saying completely...Tate needs to stay healthy for a full season. But I don't put him quite on the same level as Sharpton...
I don't know that Tate has had one significant injury. We "presumed" he was in the dog house, but for all we know, it was knicks & bruises keeping him from playing. I remember Kubiak expressing some frustration with getting Tate on the field last offseason.

& it's not looking good now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Ben Tate has suffered a totally unspecified injury this morning and is presently on the trainer's table. No other details to report to you at this time.
Quote:
Tate has a groin problem.
Quote:
No, speaking to someone at practice.
Old 08-02-2013   #206
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know that Tate has had one significant injury. We "presumed" he was in the dog house, but for all we know, it was knicks & bruises keeping him from playing. I remember Kubiak expressing some frustration with getting Tate on the field last offseason.
No...He was in the dog house. I don't know that for certain, but I know that for certain.

Tate was suited up but not playing. That would be very dumb for the team to suit up an injured player. Especially at the RB position.

Still, I feel pretty confident that Tate will be back on the field at some point. I don't even know if Sharpton will or if he does come back will there be something that knocks him right back out.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #207
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the idea of Mays next to Cushing! Why?

Because I want him to do this to Manning, Brady, Wilson, Kaepernick and Luck:

DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #208
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

After having watching all of the regular season games that Mays played the last two seasons (I'm not going to bother to watch the two play-offs game because as reported, he missed a ridiculous seven tackles against the Steelers and the other team put up 45 points), I can say that the Broncos made a huge mistake resigning him to $4M per.

Mays did not have a better season than neither Sharpton nor Dobbins in either year. Unless he improves significantly, I would take Dobbins over Mays.
A healthy Sharpton is definitely the starter; I have no doubt about that.

Mays made too many mistakes in both the run game and the passing game;
He's hardly used to rush the passer.
Unless the Texans played against poor QBs or teams that run the ball a whole lot, Mays is not an asset to the D.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #209
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
After having watching all of the regular season games that Mays played the last two seasons (I'm not going to bother to watch the two play-offs game because as reported, he missed a ridiculous seven tackles against the Steelers and the other team put up 45 points), I can say that the Broncos made a huge mistake resigning him to $4M per.

Mays did not have a better season than neither Sharpton nor Dobbins in either year. Unless he improves significantly, I would take Dobbins over Mays.
A healthy Sharpton is definitely the starter; I have no doubt about that.

Mays made too many mistakes in both the run game and the passing game;
He's hardly used to rush the passer.
Unless the Texans played against poor QBs or teams that run the ball a whole lot, Mays is not an asset to the D.
Has Sharpton ever been healthy?

We have no way of know how good Sharpton is/isn't.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #210
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Has Sharpton ever been healthy?

We have no way of know how good Sharpton is/isn't.
He's played in 27 games - starting 11 of them. You don't think 27 games is enough to at least start forming an opinion?
Old 08-03-2013   #211
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
He's played in 27 games - starting 11 of them. You don't think 27 games is enough to at least start forming an opinion?
Yeah, and my opinion is he is the Sage Rosenfels of LBs. He can fill in but not excel as a starter or he can be an above average backup.
Old 08-03-2013   #212
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Looking at Sharpton's games where he took at least 30 snaps in a game, we have 4 in 2010, 0 in 2011, and 5 in 2012. His PFF ratings in those games go from average to below average ..... but the sample size is really too small to make a valid assessment, imo. One positive is he rarely has missed tackles.

A team's defensive snaps per game can range from ~50 to ~80.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #213
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I said this earlier but...

Sharpton and Mays may well be the same guy. And they may not be the greatest guys. But I think they're an upgrade over what we had last year for the majority of the season AND between the two of them, we might be able to cobble together a full season.

That at least allows us to make it to next year's draft looking for the monster ILB to pair with Cush.

Of course, in a perfect world, UDFA Cameron Collins surprises the hell out of everyone and becomes The Man.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #214
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I like the idea of Mays next to Cushing! Why?

Because I want him to do this to Manning, Brady, Wilson, Kaepernick and Luck:

i dont think he is making enough money with us to do that to them all haha
Old 08-03-2013   #215
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i dont think he is making enough money with us to do that to them all haha
We should do a kickstarter for him. The JoeMaysgonnakillabitchQB.com
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #216
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I said this earlier but...

Sharpton and Mays may well be the same guy. And they may not be the greatest guys. But I think they're an upgrade over what we had last year for the majority of the season AND between the two of them, we might be able to cobble together a full season.

That at least allows us to make it to next year's draft looking for the monster ILB to pair with Cush.

Of course, in a perfect world, UDFA Cameron Collins surprises the hell out of everyone and becomes The Man.
Same guy?
If you say so.
I know this... I ain't NEVAH seen Sharpton clock anyone like Mays clocked Schaub. And the Denver fans say that's what he brings to the table.

Good.

You might recall that's how Baltimore beat N.E. in the playoffs. Their defense (mainly Pollard) flat killed any RB/TE foolish enough to catch a pass.

So if Mays can bring some "you-will-PAY" to our LB corps - in addition to Cushings' punishing style - I'm for it.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #217
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 133685 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Same guy?
If you say so.
I know this... I ain't NEVAH seen Sharpton clock anyone like Mays clocked Schaub. And the Denver fans say that's what he brings to the table.

Good.

You might recall that's how Baltimore beat N.E. in the playoffs. Their defense (mainly Pollard) flat killed any RB/TE foolish enough to catch a pass.

So if Mays can bring some "you-will-PAY" to our LB corps - in addition to Cushings' punishing style - I'm for it.
Also toss in Swearinger to that "you-will-PAY" corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #218
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Also toss in Swearinger to that "you-will-PAY" corps.
Granted, I just hope he doesn't become a marked man. The refs are calling a much tighter game now with the new rules which are different that what DJS has been accustomed to in school.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #219
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Granted, I just hope he doesn't become a marked man. The refs are calling a much tighter game now with the new rules which are different that what DJS has been accustomed to in school.
yeah but even the fact that WRs, TEs know how they are will have some kind of affect on how they play, they may look to see where they are for an instance and lose sight of the ball. Many ways having guys like that can help out without actually having to get the kill shot.
Old 08-03-2013   #220
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Aggressiveness can be a great trait in a safety. But it needs to remain "controlled aggression." Even though his college day rules were administered "looser," he still developed a reputation for repeatedly going for the upper chest-head area and was called for numerous such penalties throughout his career. He even drew a one game suspension last year for nailing a defenseless receiver with a vicious helmet-to-helmet hit. He did not seem to exhibit quick learning from previous experience/penalties. If he continues to exhibit that pattern of "learning disability" this year, he will become substantially poorer, and definitely less effective while having to watch games while eating popcorn from his home theater room.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read