Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013   #61
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_gt View Post
the thread title is the title of the article
So I guess that makes it true then.

Not blaming you for the journalistic leap.

Old 08-03-2013   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
One of the reasons Keenum didn't get drafted is because his hindered combine performance supported what scouts were already suspicious of. He had actually pulled a hamstring when trying to improve his 40 time, and the injury affected his throwing. He had a much better performance during his Pro Day workout, but no one was paying attention by then.

From what I've been reading, Keenum has ample momentum towards winning the #2 spot. Kubiak has indicated that both Case and Yates will be playing an increased number of snaps in preseason as part of the competition, so the opportunity for Case is a realistic one.

Concerning Yates' chances: First off, I'm not going to put too much weight on his disappointing performance last season since (according to the Texans Huddle podcast) he was affected by elbow tendonitis all season. I do knock him for lapses of situational awareness, like in the Vikings game. What I know at this time is that Zierlein said that TJ has not created enough distance between himself and Keenum to have an advantage. So apparently he's vulnerable.

Though this thread is about the #2 spot, John McClain's assertion that Keenum is being groomed as the QB of the future is not unrealistic. Kubiak has already said that he believes Keenum will be a starter in the NFL, but my belief on this is more related to cap management. Schaub has two years of guaranteed money left, and JJ Watt will be due a monster contract in two years. And this is after Cushing's huge contract extension. Some veterans will be cut, and if Case (or some X-factor acquisition) possesses anywhere near the effectiveness of Schaub, then Schaub is a cap casualty.
That's understandable, well thought out. But I think Kubiak understands there is a good chance we're going to see both of these QBs in 2013, in the event that Schaub gets hurt, so he needs both of them ready, which supports putting Keenum on the fast track. He doesn't want to put Keenum in the same situation Yates was in two years ago, thrown to the wolves with nothing but scout team reps (Yates didn't have any reps in our system other than what he had in camp before Lienart got here).

So I believe Kubiak looks at them as 2a & 2b. There's no real "competition" Yates will be the back up & Keenum will be ready to go if needed.

If Schaub gets hurt, Yates is going in. If Yates is ineffective, he will get pulled (something that was not an option 2 years ago). Then Keenum will get his chance.

If Schaub is out for an extended period of time, he may very well bounce back & forth between the two if neither shows themselves ready to be a starter.

In 2012, I'm sure Kubiak felt restricted because of his receiving options & their performance during real games. in 2013, it will be the same with the QBs. We'll see 100% of the play book with Schaub. I would assume we should expect to see 100% of the play book with Yates, & Gary is trying his damdest to get Keenum there as well.

But after that first game with Yates, in a real game situation, Kubiak will find out if Yates can or cannot handle 100% of the playbook. He should have a good feel for it since Yates has been in that situation before. At that time he probably ran 65% to 75% of the play book. & now Kubiak expects 80% before he pulls him. (I am totally making these numbers up).

So if Kubiak thinks 80% of the play book, plus Tj's ability to go off script is enough to win games with little risk, Tj will continue to play. If he thinks that 80% + offscript gives him a better shot at winning (because in this league, you need that off script ability) Matt Schaub will never see the field as our starter again.

If he thinks there's too much risk & Keenum can give us 100% of the play book, then he'll yank Yates & Keenum will start. Again, you don't know until you know, so expect that theoretical 100% number to come down once Keenum is in a real game that counts. Just like Tj's. Realistically Kubiak should be expecting 80% + off script ability. He's going to expect some mistakes, but not to see those mistakes again & again & again.

I think what we saw from Russel Wilson & Kaepernick was more like 70% of their offense plus a high off script ability & moderate risk. That got the Seahawks as far as we got & it got the 49ers to the Super Bowl.

All those numbers are made up, but I think it's the best way to describe my thought process & I believe Kubiak would follow a similar process. The main thing I wanted to convey is that Yates already has a real life quantifiable grade (including play offs), where Keenum does not & I think it's going to be really difficult for Keenum to overcome that. It can happen, Russell Wilson did it Last year, but Flynn did not play as much or as well as Yates did so his grade wasn't really as solid.

I'm rooting for Keenum, but I'm also rooting for Tj as long as we get a guy that gives us a chance to go all the way, I don't care which. But it doesn't make sense to me, to throw out what you've already got with Yates for an unknown. Even Kaepernick would never have seen the field if Smith didn't get hurt & Stevie Wonder can see the difference between Smith & Kaepernick.
Old 08-03-2013   #63
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24776 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
This article is a joke.
Agreed.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #64
GoCoogs
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respected

It all comes down to play in the preseason. If Case outplays Yates he should get the backup spot.

If Yates plays better or even, he should get it based on tenure and NFL experience.
GoCoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #65
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24776 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoogs View Post
It all comes down to play in the preseason. If Case outplays Yates he should get the backup spot.

If Yates plays better or even, he should get it based on tenure and NFL experience.
Come on Keenum doesn't have the physical ability to play NFL quarterback, let's please get a real successor to Schaub and not have another backup QB as the heir to our team.

As much as I like them, a real QB needs to be drafted in the next year or two.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #66
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Come on Keenum doesn't have the physical ability to play NFL quarterback, let's please get a real successor to Schaub and not have another backup QB as the heir to our team.

Join the conversation - it is about backup not successor.
Old 08-03-2013   #67
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 280296 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Articles like this one are exactly the reason I like to be at camp. I don't see what he is seeing. "Grabs early edge." Oh please.

And some of the strong views on what is happening at camp are from people who are there sporadically.
This was written to generate website hits/page clicks by an author with a demonstrated ignorance about pro football.

It's the Florio Model of yellow - as in pee - journalism.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #68
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

At least we are lucky enough to have a backup QB controversy. Some teams in the NFL don't even have a starting caliber QB, let alone any backups worth a crap.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #69
GoCoogs
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post

The main knock on his physical ability seem to be his height and arm strength. His arm strength was graded poor at the combine. But he was injured during the combine and did not throw well.

He threw much better at hisUH pro day. For what it's worth, one NFL scout in attendance told UH Blogger Sam Khan Jr. that Keenum had above average arm strength.

As far as height goes, his is not ideal but there have been other successful NFL QBs who were not the tallest guys.
GoCoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #70
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Just got through reading your blog and thanks for info. I now have clearer understanding on what is happening at camp. Glad we have you as TTC member!
Want to emphasize that not everybody sees things the same way. That happens with games too.

But saying "Case Keenum grabs early edge" when he's not taking the vast majority of 2nd team snaps is a fart noises article. Just seeing the headline makes me angry because I think it is affirmatively misleading to people who cannot see most of this themselves.

I'm going to be away from camp next week so I know how it is when you want real news and you get this bleep.
Old 08-03-2013   #71
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
So I guess that makes it true then.

Not blaming you for the journalistic leap.

Never said it was true. I sited the article so people could discuss.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #72
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114521 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Only people who want Keenum are bloated Texans homers and Red Bloods. If the guy was sooooo damn good he would have been drafted, plain and simple. If he is the future after Schaub we are royally screwed IMO

Im not sure who it was but some writer did an early NFL free agent 2014 list and who could potentially land where. They stated Cutler would wind up in Houston if Schaub falters again. I wouldn't give too much credence to this but the Bears haven't even discussed an extension with Cutler and he has history with Kubiak.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #73
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Only people who want Keenum are bloated Texans homers and Red Bloods. If the guy was sooooo damn good he would have been drafted, plain and simple. If he is the future after Schaub we are royally screwed IMO

Im not sure who it was but some writer did an early NFL free agent 2014 list and who could potentially land where. They stated Cutler would wind up in Houston if Schaub falters again. I wouldn't give too much credence to this but the Bears haven't even discussed an extension with Cutler and he has history with Kubiak.
I'm all for replacing Schaub when the time comes due, but we should have learned by now, that Cutler is fools gold. Schaub has been better & healthier than Cutler since 2006.
Old 08-03-2013   #74
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Only people who want Keenum are bloated Texans homers and Red Bloods. If the guy was sooooo damn good he would have been drafted...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
What do these QBs have in common: Jeff Garcia, Tony Romo, Warren Moon, and Kurt Warner?

None of them were drafted.

What about Doug Flutie?
Well, he was drafted in the 11th round (285th overall),
so basically, he was also an UDFA.

Those are pretty good names there, would'nt you say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
There have been several more QBs that were undrafted and became starter in the NFL, most notably Jim Zorn, Jake Delhome, Dave Krieg, Jim Hart, and John Kitna.

So, no, I can't agree that Keenum has no shot at all.
Now, this is not to say I predict Keenum will be a starting NFL QB, it's merely to point out that there has been a fair number of undrafted FAs that went on to very decent to excellent career in the NFL.

Some of them were damn good, and they weren't drafted.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #75
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84986 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Cutler has no history with Kubiak.
Old 08-03-2013   #76
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
You are absolutely wrong, CT! They played golf together in the Drive for Dinger golf tournament (for Heimerdinger) last year.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #77
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Well other than that who wouldn't want him? - lower completion %, higher INT %, lower YPA, lower YPG, lower QB rating (by a lot). That has upgrade spelled all over it.
Old 08-03-2013   #78
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84986 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
You are absolutely wrong, CT! They played golf together in the Drive for Dinger golf tournament (for Heimerdinger) last year.
Fair enough - I am very aware the the whole Kubiak/Schaub relationship started with a round of golf.
Old 08-03-2013   #79
mmwest
Site Contributor

Section: 638 The one always standing & yelling.
Rep Power: 0 mmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respectedmmwest is a quality contributor and well respected

Cutler is more of a head case where Matty boy doesn't have the big play instinct and can't keep a play alive to save his life. After the hit he took from Mays last year I do respect his toughness.

Case over Cutler. We all may be suprised
Old 08-03-2013   #80
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwest View Post
Cutler is more of a head case where Matty boy doesn't have the big play instinct and can't keep a play alive to save his life.
Last four years:

Cutler 20+ 167, 40+ 22

Schaub 20+ 203, 40+ 41

Whose instincts have paid off?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read