Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013   #41
darnbni99a
Veteran

Rep Power: 1441 darnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Case Keenum grabs early edge in Texans backup QB

gonna be a nice battle
darnbni99a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #42
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
By all accounts Keenum has made great strides. And I think he has a little bit of an "it" factor that TJ lacks in my view. He might even have more upside - TBD.

Having said that, he has to pass not one, but two guys with real NFL game experience, one of whom has playoff experience.

In my mind, Case has to not play even, or play a little better. He has to be clearly head and shoulders above TJ to be named #2. It has to be so obvious that Kubes has no choice.

To put it another way. it's a big game and the playoffs are on the line. Schaub just got sacked. It's 17 for the opponent, 10 for the Texans. There is 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Plenty of time. Looks like Schaub might be out the rest of the game, as he's limping to the sideline. Time to bring in your backup.

Now, do you want a guy there that's never taken a single NFL snap, or do you want the guy that led the team to the playoffs and was the starting QB in a playoff game?

If you answered the guy with no experience, then...

If you had witnessed the numerous come from behind victories that Keenum led at UH there would be no discussion.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #43
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Good to know that Case doing well and stepping up. I hope this isn't due to TJ not stepping up. If both are playing better than the last year, it is all good for us as our quality depth at QB has been improved.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #44
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
With the running back play and defense play, in 2011, Yates was not really called upon to generate his own come from behinds......nor did he look like he could......he simply tried not to have games get out of hand by his own hand. That impression was not changed by last year's performance in the preseason or the times he came into 3 games for limited playing time, where he had 1 int, 1 sack and 0 TDs (won't rag on him for no TD).......in "garbage" time with an average passer rating of 35. Yates has never looked to me like he was capable of coming back from a significant deficit or putting up quick numbers on his own. Just my opinion that with the type of QB Keenum is, he has a better chance of developing into such weapon.
I see Yates as a QB that you hope holds onto the game. I see Keenum as a creator that can take over a game. He keeps getting better and I'm not sure if Yates has topped out. I want the best 2 and the other traded. I see Schaub gone after 2014 with Yates or Keenum starting and a draft pick like Fales waiting and learning in the wings. Keenum and Fales are in my crystal ball. Trading Schaub and Yates for players/picks would be perfect scenario for me.
Old 08-02-2013   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Amen.

Yates, by most observers at training camp, is being caught from behind by someone that the NFL didn't even think was draft worthy. That Yates has had "playoff experience" is a matter of record. But I don't get the sense that he's stepping up, progressing enough, to legitimately challenge Schaub for the #1 spot. Don't you guys think that, in his third year, if Yates was "all that", that he should have Schaub looking nervously over his shoulder?
No.

Schaub may not be well liked by the fans, but Kubiak loves the guy. Schaub's job is safe & will be safe. After 2014 if Schaub wanted to sign an extension with the Texans I'm sure the Texans would do it paying him at least what he's getting paid now.

Our next starting QB is going to earn the job on the field, not in camp, not in FA.
Old 08-02-2013   #46
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

If Schaub struggles this year he's going to get pulled.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If Schaub struggles this year he's going to get pulled.
I think either Chase or Tj will get a chance to show they should be starters, but more so because Schaub is going to get hurt.

Schaub won't struggle, history is against that.
Old 08-02-2013   #48
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

So many folks in so many threads projecting their hopes as predictions.
Old 08-02-2013   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
So many folks in so many threads projecting their hopes as predictions.
Yep but if we didn't you might not be a moderator.
Old 08-02-2013   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
No.

Schaub may not be well liked by the fans, but Kubiak loves the guy. Schaub's job is safe & will be safe. After 2014 if Schaub wanted to sign an extension with the Texans I'm sure the Texans would do it paying him at least what he's getting paid now.

Our next starting QB is going to earn the job on the field, not in camp, not in FA.
FYI, Matt is under contract thru 2016.
Old 08-02-2013   #51
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

This article is a joke.
Old 08-02-2013   #52
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
FYI, Matt is under contract thru 2016.
I give it about a 10% chance he sees the end of that contract.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #53
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Agreed but he will be playing somewhere the next three years but maybe not the 4th barring injuries.
Old 08-02-2013   #54
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

They can say what they want,but keenam is not a nfl quality qb. They can say what they want,but we've seen tj yates make plays in crucial parts of the game that won games. He did that as a rookie. Neither case or schaub wouldvehave made those plays with the pocket broken that yates did. So, I guess we will see.
Old 08-02-2013   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Agreed. If we get to the Super Bowl in the next two seasons, they'll redo his contract to put him in line with Flacco & Romo.
Old 08-02-2013   #56
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
This article is a joke.
TC, how good in your eyes Case and TJ are doing? I trust your opinion more this article.
Old 08-03-2013   #57
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
TC, how good in your eyes Case and TJ are doing? I trust your opinion more this article.
I detail it in my blog post.

Articles like this one are exactly the reason I like to be at camp. I don't see what he is seeing. "Grabs early edge." Oh please.

And some of the strong views on what is happening at camp are from people who are there sporadically.
Old 08-03-2013   #58
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I detail it in my blog post.

Articles like this one are exactly the reason I like to be at camp. I don't see what he is seeing. "Grabs early edge." Oh please.

And some of the strong views on what is happening at camp are from people who are there sporadically.
Just got through reading your blog and thanks for info. I now have clearer understanding on what is happening at camp. Glad we have you as TTC member!
Old 08-03-2013   #59
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the reasons Keenum didn't get drafted is because his hindered combine performance supported what scouts were already suspicious of. He had actually pulled a hamstring when trying to improve his 40 time, and the injury affected his throwing. He had a much better performance during his Pro Day workout, but no one was paying attention by then.

From what I've been reading, Keenum has ample momentum towards winning the #2 spot. Kubiak has indicated that both Case and Yates will be playing an increased number of snaps in preseason as part of the competition, so the opportunity for Case is a realistic one.

Concerning Yates' chances: First off, I'm not going to put too much weight on his disappointing performance last season since (according to the Texans Huddle podcast) he was affected by elbow tendonitis all season. I do knock him for lapses of situational awareness, like in the Vikings game. What I know at this time is that Zierlein said that TJ has not created enough distance between himself and Keenum to have an advantage. So apparently he's vulnerable.

Though this thread is about the #2 spot, John McClain's assertion that Keenum is being groomed as the QB of the future is not unrealistic. Kubiak has already said that he believes Keenum will be a starter in the NFL, but my belief on this is more related to cap management. Schaub has two years of guaranteed money left, and JJ Watt will be due a monster contract in two years. And this is after Cushing's huge contract extension. Some veterans will be cut, and if Case (or some X-factor acquisition) possesses anywhere near the effectiveness of Schaub, then Schaub is a cap casualty.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013   #60
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Preseason should separate the 2. I'll reserve judgement until I see them on the field with the lights on. TJ looked terrible in preseason last year and I didn't see enough of Case to say what I think he'll look like this year. Both of them need to step up in order for me to feel comfortable with our backup QB situation.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read