Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-02-2013   #41
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Football Outsiders bullish on the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Think Rey was pointing out to the 'handing them their butts' meaning a whipping. Pats lost by a combined 3 points in both those games and the Packers only loss once to the Vikings and it was by 3 points. The other game they won it.
Yes that was exactly what I was wanting to know. I was trying to find out which lesser teams came out and killed those guys.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Listen TK...All I see are a bunch of excuses.

.The excuses will never stop...You guys can rationalize all you want.

Spineless coach or Spineless QB are not two options I want to choose from. We just need to do better.
Yeah, I wish I could act like my sht doesn't stink, but that's not my make up. First we need to compete in the division, then we needed to win the division, then we needed to get into the playoffs, then we needed to win in the playoffs.

Now we've got to go undefeated & winning in the play offs don't count unless we beat New England. You can say that's not what you're saying, but if that's the case, what are you complaining about?

You win some, you lose some. You do the best you can with what you got. Maybe the team underperformed by your standards & I'm just as upset as anyone that we didn't win the Super Bowl. But I'm not going to piss on them because they weren't undefeated.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 08-02-2013 at 02:38 PM.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok so handed their butts to them may not have been accurate. But the point is they weren't undefeated. They didn't win the Super Bowl. But they're still good teams & we suck.
Old 08-02-2013   #44
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Giants were a lesser team and they handed the Packers their butts.
The Ravens were a lesser team and they kicked the Pats in the rear.

76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #45
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Yeah, I wish I could act like my sht doesn't stink, but that's not my make up. First we need to compete in the division, then we needed to win the division, then we needed to get into the playoffs, then we needed to win in the playoffs.

Now we've got to go undefeated & winning in the play offs don't count unless we beat New England. You can say that's not what you're saying, but if that's the case, what are you complaining about?

You win some, you lose some. You do the best you can with what you got. Maybe the team underperformed by your standards & I'm just as upset as anyone that we didn't win the Super Bowl. But I'm not going to piss on them because they weren't undefeated.
I didn't piss on them. I stated some things that I thought were wrong with the team, but some of you guys turn into mother goose when someone says that the team played poorly last season and could have done better.

Who said anything about going undefeated?

This was my initial reply to your post:

Quote:
My argument is not to open the offense up. I actually LOVE this offense and I have a great, great respect for Kubiak as a playcaller.

I honestly don't know what Kubiak could have done to improve the offense last year. I can come up with a bunch of stuff I would have tried or done differently, but I don't know if it'd have worked...I'm not saying they should have done anything specifically right now.

The reason I quoted you with that comment I made is because I don't have a problem with people wanting more in this instance. I think it's reasonable to expect this offense to be better.
Now, I'll end it here; If you have a problem with that, then IMO, you are trying to bring others down to your standards of awwww shucks...They did well enough...I wish they'd have done better but hey...

I don't care what you, or anyone else here says. They didn't do good enough. They underachieved. They need to correct their mistakes and put it on display this year. They played like **** to close the year out, and that's not all good to me.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #46
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What good teams? Denver early in the year when they were still feeling themselves out? Baltimore before they switched OC's and had one of their worst games of the year?

Chicago? Seriously? The offense didn't do much that game and had Cutler not gotten hurt that game could have easily gone either way.

But yeah...Lets celebrate those wins. Nevermind them getting their asses handed to them when they were: 1) Undefeated against a good team playing in front of a national audience 2) getting owned against the lowly vikings and colts when they needed to win for home field advantage 3) being one slightly overthrown ball away from being bounced in the first round against the Bengals 4) And then finally, going into NE and getting thrashed

You don't have to say everything directly. When you say something was good enough, that defines your expectations. If it wasn't good enough, then what exactly is your point?

You're all over the map.

You specificially said, "I don't care what their record is as long as it gets them into the play-offs." They made the playoffs and won a game.

You are then saying the Broncos weren't good when we played them and the Bears weren't good at the end. You can't have it both ways. Either you can take the variability into account, or don't. Regardless, in my opinion both were good teams. Not great teams, but good teams, and we beat both of them on the road.

Then you're reading into my comments to argue against something I haven't said or implied.
I didn't say they were good enough. I said it's not realistic to expect them to win every game.

If you're only going to be happy if they win the Super Bowl, fine. That's your perrogative. But don't make stuff up if you don't want to come out and say it directly.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #47
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260168 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
No one's "pissing on them" because they didn't go undefeated. Given last year's team and circumstances, it's completely unacceptable that they didn't wrap up home field advantage and a bye one of the multiple times they had a chance. It's also unacceptable that they were predictably uncompetitive against the Patriots. No one gave them a chance against the Patriots and they came out and proved the world correct. They didn't lose by three points. They didn't compete and fall off int he 4th quarter. They got their doors blown off and they looked like they didn't even belong on the field. Hell, they looked like they should have been wearing those ridiculous high school letterman jackets again.
Old 08-02-2013   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I didn't piss on them. I stated some things that I thought were wrong with the team, but some of you guys turn into mother goose when someone says that the team played poorly last season and could have done better.

Who said anything about going undefeated?

This was my initial reply to your post:

Now, I'll end it here; If you have a problem with that, then IMO, you are trying to bring others down to your standards of awwww shucks...They did well enough...I wish they'd have done better but hey...

I don't care what you, or anyone else here says. They didn't do good enough. They underachieved. They need to correct their mistakes and put it on display this year. They played like **** to close the year out, and that's not all good to me.
Maybe I got out of hand..... taking somethings out of proportion.... Or just got excited about arguing something, I don't know... I'm sorry I'm just in a bad mood. You know how it is. 1st of the month & all.... gov't check not on time, half of it already spent. y'know, bs
Old 08-03-2013   #49
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I saw that part, but kubiak gets to conservative at the wrong times IMO.like the last 4 games of the season for example. He should have pulled out all the tricks to secure the #1 seed, and look what happened.
What stops? His offensive line was doing a rotation with injuries. His tight ends who were so effective earlier in the season were nicked up down the stretch. His 3-5 wide receivers had catch rates so bad that Jacoby Jones would laugh at them. His number 2 wide receiver was Kevin Walter. Earlier in the season, Matt Schaub was getting hit so much after the throw he lost part of an ear. Their defense that had been so effective earlier in the year had their own deals, and they were not getting the turnover luck they had earlier in the season. Oh, and stupid special teams.

They were dealing with schizz. There was a lot of stuff going on. No excuses because it isn't my homework the dog ate, but how you going to open up the offense given these circumstances? In the Patriots game, they didn't have enough TEs so they had to run a Olinemen in there for jumbo packages.
Old 08-03-2013   #50
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 119552 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
What stops? His offensive line was doing a rotation with injuries. His tight ends who were so effective earlier in the season were nicked up down the stretch. His 3-5 wide receivers had catch rates so bad that Jacoby Jones would laugh at them. His number 2 wide receiver was Kevin Walter. Earlier in the season, Matt Schaub was getting hit so much after the throw he lost part of an ear. Their defense that had been so effective earlier in the year had their own deals, and they were not getting the turnover luck they had earlier in the season. Oh, and stupid special teams.

They were dealing with schizz. There was a lot of stuff going on. No excuses because it isn't my homework the dog ate, but how you going to open up the offense given these circumstances? In the Patriots game, they didn't have enough TEs so they had to run a Olinemen in there for jumbo packages.
In the Patriots game they had FB clutts sitting on the bench, and kept Casey at FB with OD as the only TE. Common sense says take Clutts and put him in the game, move casey to TE. But NO Clutts didnt play in the game until the game was lost and our starters were pulled. That is the kind of BS i'm talking about.

Why sign Clutts if you dont use him, especially in a situation like that.
Old 08-03-2013   #51
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In the Patriots game they had FB clutts sitting on the bench, and kept Casey at FB with OD as the only TE. Common sense says take Clutts and put him in the game, move casey to TE. But NO Clutts didnt play in the game until the game was lost and our starters were pulled. That is the kind of BS i'm talking about.

Why sign Clutts if you dont use him, especially in a situation like that.
Clutts is not an option that "opens up your offense." He wasn't part of camp at all. Casey knew the offense better.

And when Casey is playing FB, offenses have to play him differently than most FBs because he can catch passes if defenses are sleeping.
Old 08-03-2013   #52
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 119552 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Clutts is not an option that "opens up your offense." He wasn't part of camp at all. Casey knew the offense better.

And when Casey is playing FB, offenses have to play him differently than most FBs because he can catch passes if defenses are sleeping.
i understand ur theory, but its not like we utilized casey properly at FB last season anyways. Clutts could of came in and blocked for foster while casey went back to TE.

Your saying it wouldnt have worked ? Well did it work the way Kubiak did it ? No it didnt.

Not to mention the whole thing about not opening up ur offense, only haveing 1 TE didnt help open up our offense either, but having a FB and 2 TEs would have.
Old 08-03-2013   #53
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
i understand ur theory, but its not like we utilized casey properly at FB last season anyways. Clutts could of came in and blocked for foster while casey went back to TE.

Your saying it wouldnt have worked ? Well did it work the way Kubiak did it ? No it didnt.

Not to mention the whole thing about not opening up ur offense, only haveing 1 TE didnt help open up our offense either, but having a FB and 2 TEs would have.
The Patriots were a difficult matchup for the Texans given the composition of the team particularly with the injuries they had at the time.

Wilfork creates problems for everyone, but ungood matchup for Myers, esp with not above average guard play next to him.

Patriots CBs were weak link but Texans had only 1 real WR to test.

Texans TEs were a strength but they were not right by that time in the season.

And I asked all sorts of football people I respected prior to the game how they would defense the Patriots offense given the issues the Texans had at linebacker. The answers were not very encouraging.

In other words, I'm not sure any way to open up the offense would have particularly mattered in 2012.

They were dealing with schizz. Dealt pretty well with it for most of the season. But the Texans are less about trickery and more about execution and they made too many mistakes down the stretch.
Old 08-03-2013   #54
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
The Patriots were a difficult matchup for the Texans given the composition of the team particularly with the injuries they had at the time.

Wilfork creates problems for everyone, but ungood matchup for Myers, esp with not above average guard play next to him.

Patriots CBs were weak link but Texans had only 1 real WR to test.

Texans TEs were a strength but they were not right by that time in the season.

And I asked all sorts of football people I respected prior to the game how they would defense the Patriots offense given the issues the Texans had at linebacker. The answers were not very encouraging.

In other words, I'm not sure any way to open up the offense would have particularly mattered in 2012.

They were dealing with schizz. Dealt pretty well with it for most of the season. But the Texans are less about trickery and more about execution and they made too many mistakes down the stretch.
Not saying putting clutts in at FB and casey back to TE would of made a difference but IMO it just makes the most sense if your trying to win a game/open up your offense.

For example when we played them in the play-offs atleast it was closer for a while anyways. Gotta try to win no matter what is all i'm saying. Cause a lot of the people who make the patriots so good are not players who would make a lot of teams, but the coach and QB know how to utilize their guys.
Old 08-04-2013   #55
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Not saying putting clutts in at FB and casey back to TE would of made a difference but IMO it just makes the most sense if your trying to win a game/open up your offense.

For example when we played them in the play-offs atleast it was closer for a while anyways. Gotta try to win no matter what is all i'm saying. Cause a lot of the people who make the patriots so good are not players who would make a lot of teams, but the coach and QB know how to utilize their guys.
I'm guessing if the Texans were comfortable that Clutts would be an improvement and knew the playbook, he'd be in.

The Texans like Clutts so much they went after Greg Jones.
Old 08-04-2013   #56
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61508 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

I read the FO article with a keen interest. I see where FO says the Texans play the 3rd easiest schedule in 2013. I am assuming that is based on the 2012 won-loss percentages. It doesn't appear that FO takes into account one of the great equalizers, the salary cap. Texans 2013 opponents on average have approximately $18 million more to spend in Salary Cap dollars vs the Texans. While the Texans may have the 3rd weakest schedule on paper don't expect it to play like the 3rd easiest schedule on Sundays. An $18 million salary cap advantage is equivalent to adding (6) $3 million a year players.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I read the FO article with a keen interest. I see where FO says the Texans play the 3rd easiest schedule in 2013. I am assuming that is based on the 2012 won-loss percentages. It doesn't appear that FO takes into account one of the great equalizers, the salary cap. Texans 2013 opponents on average have approximately $18 million more to spend in Salary Cap dollars vs the Texans. While the Texans may have the 3rd weakest schedule on paper don't expect it to play like the 3rd easiest schedule on Sundays. An $18 million salary cap advantage is equivalent to adding (6) $3 million a year players.
If they don't spend it, isn't that like saying we have (6) $3 Million dollars a year players against their thin air? That the advantage is actually ours?

I like S.O.S. some people don't. I look at SOS & predict how I think the Texans should do against it. At the end of the season, we'll see how much those teams changed relative to the Texans.

For instance, in 2011, we had a winning record against a winning SoS, meaning we improved more than the teams on our schedule did. Last year, we finished strong against a losing schedule, again, we improved more than the teams on our schedule did.

If 2013's schedule is similar to last seasons, .473 (& It is) we should expect to win 10-12 games again if we've improved as much as the teams on our schedule did. If we win 8-10 games, then we're falling behind. If we win 12+ games, then we've gained improved more than the teams on our schedule did.
Old 08-04-2013   #58
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
I'm guessing if the Texans were comfortable that Clutts would be an improvement and knew the playbook, he'd be in.

The Texans like Clutts so much they went after Greg Jones.
well i dont believe Clutts is better than jones, but in that situation u have to consider what is better. A mediocra FB and 2 TEs, or 1 FB and and 1 TE. I would go with option 1 cause option 2 limits us way more.
Old 08-04-2013   #59
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61508 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Clutts - Jones - Casey they still haven't replaced some of the best TE blocking abilities of Joel Dreessen. While it does appear they've replaced blocking successes of Leach & Vickers with Jones the Texans lose the versatility of Casey. Owen Daniels appears to be regressing and Graham has shown he's not any better. On paper it appears the Texans have taken another step or two backwards in the play from the TE position.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #60
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Clutts - Jones - Casey they still haven't replaced some of the best TE blocking abilities of Joel Dreessen. While it does appear they've replaced blocking successes of Leach & Vickers with Jones the Texans lose the versatility of Casey. Owen Daniels appears to be regressing and Graham has shown he's not any better. On paper it appears the Texans have taken another step or two backwards in the play from the TE position.
WTF? Dreessen was a good not great blocker. Hell Manning got less out of him last year than Schaub got out of him as a receiver. Jones is one of the best blocking FBs in the league.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read