Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-01-2013   #181
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173360 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans showing interest in ILB Joe Mays (UPDATE) signed

Mays was cut for salary when it was clear he would not start. Some FOs will do a player a favor by cutting him early so he can catch on with another team. A number of team pursued Mays, but he made it pretty clear that Rick Smith sold him on the Texans.

Mays will be on 610 AM SportsRadio in the next/4 o'clock hour.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #182
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That's more like a bounce. Rather than a bouncing....

But seriously, trying to use the fact that the Broncos cut him as evidence that he's not good is kind of silly.
And didn't the Broncos change from a 3-4 to 4-3 this year?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #183
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
And didn't the Broncos change from a 3-4 to 4-3 this year?
Pretty sure they changed to a 4-3 when John Fox got there a few years ago.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #184
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21706 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's more like a bounce. Rather than a bouncing....

But seriously, trying to use the fact that the Broncos cut him as evidence that he's not good is kind of silly.
I didn't say he was not good, I did indicate he was kind of average and ordinary. I'm not trying to make him to be more than what has been his 5 years in the league which is pretty much a journeyman. If Cush was at 100% and Sharpton was on the field I doubt Mays is even a blip on the Texans radar.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #185
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
GB or SD? PFF shows Mays only took 25/72 snaps vs. GB with 2 missed tackles, but he took 48/78 snaps with 4 missed tackles vs. SD -- which is pretty bad, but...

PFF has him for 7 missed tackles in 2011 WC game vs. Steelers(68/73 snaps).
One of them games; I guess I can go back quickly to find out which one, because the majority of the misses were in the first half. I'm pretty sure I counted 4 in the first half and 1 in the second. Obviously, there's a discrepancy as my total is different from the other guys; it was probably their thinking that Mays was blocked out of one of them. I knew I thought about that one, too. Let just say I'm a little more bias against Mays - which I know I'm not - that's OK.
The core of the matter is there.

(And I know that you are quite appreciative of my watching games and try to convey thing as they are to the best of my knowledge, so I never had a beef with ya' - just as I appreciate all the info you've been providing us -we're good).

But you're telling me there's another game that I haven't got to, and Mays missed 7 tackles? Hot dang. How the heck did he get that contract?

Icak, man, Mays must have been balling out in the other ten games that I haven't got to or something was very wrong.

So far, I know that I'm not pulling a rabbit out of a hat.
Perhaps, you can watch some games and tell us what was it that you saw that was great about Mays. I'm all ears (pun intended, haha).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #186
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I didn't say he was not good, I did indicate he was kind of average and ordinary. I'm not trying to make him to be more than what has been his 5 years in the league which is pretty much a journeyman. If Cush was at 100% and Sharpton was on the field I doubt Mays is even a blip on the Texans radar.
If tell a girl that he make-up is bad, her clothes don't fit right, her lips are too small for her face, her ears turn me off, her hair looks bad..... but then say...Baby....I'm not saying you're ugly....

What is she supposed to think?

You named a bunch of negatives about the guy and then you're saying that you didn't say he was not good?

Journeyman is a non-descript word so I don't even know what you mean by that. He's only actually played for two teams in his career and this is his third.

As for your last sentence, I disagree. Sharpton can't be counted on to stay healthy and there isn't much depth there even if he was healthy and practicing. Plus, the guy had interest from quite a few other teams.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #187
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Icak, man, Mays must have been balling out in the other ten games that I haven't got to or something was very wrong.
you realize he wasn't talking about games from last year right?
Old 08-01-2013   #188
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Their look can be like a 4-3, but basically, their base is more like a 52, same as the Texans. It was explained on the Broncos website by a couple of guys who know the X and O as much as Rey does.

If you follow what Kubiak said about how much we were in the dime and nickel;
the Broncos were, too.
There isn't much difference, just the cirscumstances that prompted the media to classify one from the other.
Old 08-01-2013   #189
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
you realize he wasn't talking about games from last year right?
Yes, that's why I said I had watched all the 2012 games and 5 games from 2011 so far (probably six, I think - but I may want to watch that 6th game one more time). There are still more games from 2011 that I need to watch.
Old 08-01-2013   #190
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Their look can be like a 4-3, but basically, their base is more like a 52, same as the Texans. It was explained on the Broncos website by a couple of guys who know the X and O as much as Rey does.

the Broncos were, too.
There isn't much difference, just the cirscumstances that prompted the media to classify one from the other.
Gotcha, I can't say I follow or analyze the Broncos enough to say what "looks" they actually show. Just was responding to Doc mainly of when they switched from the 3-4. Thanks for breaking it down though.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #191
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173360 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But you're telling me there's another game that I haven't got to, and Mays missed 7 tackles? Hot dang. How the heck did he get that contract?
Yup, playoff game. I was one-uppin' ya. He got $12 mill/$4 guaranteed first year after that.

I guess Elway had a soft spot for him?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #192
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Thanks, he actually changed it for the 2012 season. The point I was trying to make is that maybe Mays just didn't fit as well last year after the change.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #193
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Thanks, he actually changed it for the 2012 season. The point I was trying to make is that maybe Mays just didn't fit as well last year after the change.
Mays was signed and brought in for the 2010 season. That year, they were a 3-4 team. In 2011, they shifted to a 4-3 team.

Mays came in to Denver as a RILB.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #194
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

the Broncos were, too.
Mays must be a good fit, he's currently running with the 1st team. The Broncos changed over from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in 2011 when Fox became HC. Fox has always run a 4-3 defense. 1st as DC with the Giants and then during his many sucessful yrs with the Panthers.

Fox does have some 5-2 princilples in his defense, he will occasionally play the OLB's close to the LOS. But he only does this about 20% of the time. Wade's defense is in the 5-2 look 70-80 % of the time by contrast.

The reason many think the Fox runs a base 5-2 is because he used Miller and Dumervil as DE's on pass rushing downs and dropped down DE Derek Wolf to pair up at DT with Kevin Vickerson in pass rushing situations. (Having all of his best pass rushers on the field on passing downs seems like a good idea.)

The Broncos use their DT's to control the running game and need a fast MLB to cover the middle of the field. This didn't play well to Mays strengths. Even though Mays is a pretty god blitzer. (See Schaub hit) Mays is also a very good ST guy which is sorely needed. (Thanks Coach Joe)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #195
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Whats better a healthy mays or an injuried on IR sharpton ? Lord he is better than a lot of other people who could be filling in so whats all the whinning about ?
Old 08-01-2013   #196
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Whats better a healthy mays or an injuried on IR sharpton ? Lord he is better than a lot of other people who could be filling in so whats all the whinning about ?
I'm just hoping that between Sharpton and Mays, we get a full season of play at about the same level. But of course, they'll probably both go down at the worst possible time and in the same game.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #197
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I'll take average and ordinary. We're not going to have above-average talent at every position, and ILB was a weakness after Cushing went down last year. I don't know if he's an upgrade over a healthy Sharpton, but he's an upgrade over Bradie James and Tim Dobbins. Our depth at ILB was weak before Mays signing and now he helps solidify it.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #198
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the only reason people dont seem to like him is because of what he did to Schaub in Denver, other than that I think mostly everyone would be on board with this move. Lets face it, we're ULTRA thin at the ILB position, and the guy who's suppose to be our guy is made of glass. Then who else do we have? Dobbins? OK...
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #199
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

In 2009, the Texans defense looked like an NFL defense. Pollard was chop'n heads, Quin & McCain were making it difficult for receivers to make a living, Demeco & Cushing rulled the middle, & Mario was doing his thing.

We signed Pollard I think for a second season. He looked like crap in 2010, missing many assignments, getting burned, missing tackles.... didn't look like a guy we signed.

We let him go. He was a starting safety for the Baltimore Ravens in 2011 when they had their best finish in years, earning a home play off game. He started again on that same team in 2012 when they won a Super Bowl.

Do you think maybe Mays played in a system that allowed him to shine prior to 2012, but then switched to a different scheme/philosophy where he was being asked to do things that don't necessarily suit his strengths? & then maybe our system is more like the one he flourished in?

I don't think this guy is all that. I doubt he'll start over Daryl Sharpton. But I think there might be something to icak's point.

Fingers crossed.
Old 08-02-2013   #200
Rey
Hall of Fame

I don't even count sharpton as a player for us right now. I hope he comes back and has a good healthy season, but I cannot logically assume that will happen. As far as I'm concerned mays was a huge pick up because all we had as vets was dobbins and Cushing inside.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read