Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2013   #161
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans showing interest in ILB Joe Mays (UPDATE) signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm ok with the signing. If Sharpton stays healthy, we probably won't see much of Mays anyway.

If I'm wrong, he starts, & he's a big part of what our defense does... we make out pretty good.
I watched all the games he played last year and another one in 2011.

Too many missed tackles (one per game on the average), and he blew his coverage assignment 4 times in 5 games. 2 led directly to a TD (think of the Patriots game); one could have been a TD, but the QB looked the other way first, and one was a catch that the safety made the tackle. He took bad angles on several plays (again, average about one per game) that allowed the RB to get past him.

If they can correct theses mistakes then he has a chance to compete for a job; but even then, there's no guarantee that he can beat Sharpton. Mays is not strong by any mean. If he can't get off the blocker by using his hands well or avoiding him with his quickness, he got swallowed up somewhat easily. The Patriots' linemen, in particular, made him look like a little bug.
Maybe the injury affected his plays, I don't know.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #162
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I watched all the games he played last year and another one in 2011.

Too many missed tackles (one per game on the average), and he blew his coverage assignment 4 times in 5 games. 2 led directly to a TD (think of the Patriots game); one could have been a TD, but the QB looked the other way first, and one was a catch that the safety made the tackle. He took bad angles on several plays (again, average about one per game) that allowed the RB to get past him.

If they can correct theses mistakes then he has a chance to compete for a job; but even then, there's no guarantee that he can beat Sharpton. Mays is not strong by any mean. If he can't get off the blocker by using his hands well or avoiding him with his quickness, he got swallowed up somewhat easily. The Patriots' linemen, in particular, made him look like a little bug.
Maybe the injury affected his plays, I don't know.
Mirrors what I've seen on pony forums, hence the nickname Idiot Cannonball.

Said he was always making bad decisions and a liability in coverage, but can blow a player up occasionally. Still better than Sharpton in the tub, though.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #163
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

If they can correct theses mistakes then he has a chance to compete for a job; but even then, there's no guarantee that he can beat Sharpton.
Agree. Don't count Sharpton out yet. His play is strong when he's healthy.
Old 07-31-2013   #164
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Agree. Don't count Sharpton out yet. His play is strong when he's healthy.
When Healthy is the key word...
Seeing how he just got a groin injury....
I hope its not that serious
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #165
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't even seen Sharpton play enough to evaluate him...I can barely even remember what he looks like out there on the field....

If Sharpton can get healthy and start playing soon...Ok...Cross your fingers and good luck..

If this crap lingers...I'd cut him. I'd rather carry a young guy with promise that I didn't want to mess around with trying to PS them than carry someone that gets injured this often.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #166
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Joe Mays

Caption this photo!

Old 07-31-2013   #167
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Caption this photo!

Cushing: "We hug around here after good plays bro...No homo"
Old 07-31-2013   #168
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Caption this photo!

Whatchu talking bout, Cushing?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #169
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Caption this photo!

Hey man, I just talked to Schaub. He wants to give you an earful.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #170
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If this crap lingers...I'd cut him. I'd rather carry a young guy with promise that I didn't want to mess around with trying to PS them than carry someone that gets injured this often.
Yeah. You could give that roster spot to a promising young talent, then put another developmental type on your PS, then if push comes to shove, you can always resign Shartpon at a later date. There is absolutely nothing on him that would make another NFL team raise their ears.
Old 07-31-2013   #171
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
bb, I see the "lol" thingy so "not sure if serious"?

Camp reviews have been surprisingly positive (to some) about Earl Mitchell and all the cats behind him.

So are you serious or are we "lol-ing"?

Just axin'.
I'm just not confident in any on the roster. I am hopeful for Chris Jones. Sure hope I am wrong on the rest.
Old 07-31-2013   #172
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like that we added Mays. I was hopeful when I saw that he was released but didn't think signing him was possible. He'll be a good addition to the team.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #173
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, so I watched some more Broncos games besides the 2012 season, I had finished with week 5 of the 2011 season. I know some of you hope to see a good player to pair with Cushing; all I can say is that if he's good, the Broncos would have retained him. Perhaps he showed better later on in the year; I haven't gotten that far yet, so I can't comment on them games.

For the first five games; he didn't play a whole lot in four of them.
Mays was like a rotational player that was not in the lineup much in nickel and dime situation. He was so-so in those games; the term non-descript probably suits him the best.

The game he saw the most playing time was against the Packers. He showed up around the ball on five or six plays, which sounds good, but all except one was unblocked... And as Wade had said, you aren't doing nothing really when you have a free path to the play.

It could still make for a good game, except that Mays also missed five tackles, something I haven't seen before; have you?

And no, after watching ten games, there's no indication that he's a decent blitzer either; he was hardly used in that capacity.
I still have eleven games to go; I can't say I can come to a definite conclusion yet.
You can't blame me for not being all hyped up about the signing, a vet minimum at that.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #174
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
The game he saw the most playing time was against the Packers. He showed up around the ball on five or six plays, which sounds good, but all except one was unblocked... And as Wade had said, you aren't doing nothing really when you have a free path to the play.

It could still make for a good game, except that Mays also missed five tackles, something I haven't seen before; have you?
GB or SD? PFF shows Mays only took 25/72 snaps vs. GB with 2 missed tackles, but he took 48/78 snaps with 4 missed tackles vs. SD -- which is pretty bad, but...

PFF has him for 7 missed tackles in 2011 WC game vs. Steelers(68/73 snaps).
Old 08-01-2013   #175
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know some of you hope to see a good player to pair with Cushing; all I can say is that if he's good, the Broncos would have retained him.
1) try looking at film that caused the Broncos to give him a large contract and 2) Peyton wasn't eating up $20 mil per year of cap when they signed him. With a cap, sometimes you let go of players you want to keep.

Last edited by infantrycak; 08-01-2013 at 02:46 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #176
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

IMHO I see Joe Mays as just another guy. I don't think he's the answer to the Texans stopping the run up the middle. From what I've seen Mays will have trouble with average and ordinary TE's and FB's in league and will get swallowed up by interior lineman. When you are bouncing around 90 man rosters in the first week of training camp you're pretty much a camp body, a stop gap and/or the best that the salary cap could afford and that's not necessarily a good thing. Making do!
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #177
Rey
Hall of Fame

I think Mays is going to be an upgrade over anything we put out there last year after Cushing went down.

He's a fast playing, high energy, hard hitting player. I think he fits well in this defense playing next to Cushing and I expect him to be a plus player this upcoming season defensively and on special teams if he plays there.
Old 08-01-2013   #178
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
When you are bouncing around 90 man rosters in the first week of training camp you're pretty much a camp body, a stop gap and/or the best that the salary cap could afford and that's not necessarily a good thing. Making do!
Mays was not bouncing around 90 man rosters. He just got cut and then was pursued by 6-7 teams. That isn't the typical camp fodder you are talking about.
Old 08-01-2013   #179
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Mays was not bouncing around 90 man rosters. He just got cut and then was pursued by 6-7 teams. That isn't the typical camp fodder you are talking about.
I guess it all depends on your definition of bouncing. In my definition going from one team's 90 man roster to another team's 90 man roster in the first week of training camp is bouncing.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #180
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I guess it all depends on your definition of bouncing. In my definition going from one team's 90 man roster to another team's 90 man roster in the first week of training camp is bouncing.
That's more like a bounce. Rather than a bouncing....

But seriously, trying to use the fact that the Broncos cut him as evidence that he's not good is kind of silly.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read