Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-17-2013   #21
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 26769 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brandon Harris: lost cause?

I'm surprised I didn't break the TV watching Harris play. Witnessing all his penalties is just absolutely painful. When you watch a player play football, sometimes you see that he has "it." Brandon Harris does not have "it." He doesn't look natural at all playing the position. Get rid of this scrub.
Old 07-31-2013   #22
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

From today's Z Report:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Zierlein
CB Brandon Harris is frustrating to watch. He doesn't have the quickness to sit down on routes and still explode after WRs who are making cuts and that is a big problem. The good news is that he's got pretty good ball skills and when he's in position to make a play, he's pretty good at making that play.
Old 07-31-2013   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
From today's Z Report:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Zierlein
CB Brandon Harris is frustrating to watch. He doesn't have the quickness to sit down on routes and still explode after WRs who are making cuts and that is a big problem.
That must be why Rick Smith & Wade Phillips traded up to get him.
Old 07-31-2013   #24
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That must be why Rick Smith & Wade Phillips traded up to get him.
Well, it sure couldn't be because they planned on playing him, because they haven't. Even the best GMs and coaches miss on players. The best ones don't exacerbate the mistake by forcing the issue. If the guy can't play, try to coach him up and see what you can do. If nothing, cut him loose. Harris is closer to being cut loose than he is to starting.
Old 07-31-2013   #25
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 55166 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Harris will be fine. None of us knows why is hasn't played a lot, but the answer could simply be a numbers thing. Kubes isn't known for putting the best player on the field. He's better known for putting the best reputation on the field. See also Cody and Mitchell. Or Foster waiting behind who he waited behind.
Old 07-31-2013   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Harris will be fine. None of us knows why is hasn't played a lot, but the answer could simply be a numbers thing. Kubes isn't known for putting the best player on the field. He's better known for putting the best reputation on the field. See also Cody and Mitchell. Or Foster waiting behind who he waited behind.
I totally and completely disagree with that.

Foster has said himself that he wasn't ready to play. And when he started to show some life and got put in, he promptly fumbled and had to work his way back in.

If Kubiak played people because of their reputation, then Keenan McCardell and Roosevelt Colvin would have been on the field instead of cut during TC.

The thing about Kubiak is that he doesn't trust rookies and he prefers to ease them in. BUT... I don't think he has a ton of input on which DBs play and which ones don't. I think Brandon Harris was drafted in an attempt to patch up the Kareem Jackson problem. But KJ stepped up and started playing better. That would have allowed Harris to play the slot where he should be a better fit except that McCain outplayed him.

The reason Harris isn't on the field is because he's not one of the best CBs we have. Even Alan Ball was better than Harris is.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I totally and completely disagree with that.

Foster has said himself that he wasn't ready to play. And when he started to show some life and got put in, he promptly fumbled and had to work his way back in.

If Kubiak played people because of their reputation, then Keenan McCardell and Roosevelt Colvin would have been on the field instead of cut during TC.

The thing about Kubiak is that he doesn't trust rookies and he prefers to ease them in. BUT... I don't think he has a ton of input on which DBs play and which ones don't. I think Brandon Harris was drafted in an attempt to patch up the Kareem Jackson problem. But KJ stepped up and started playing better. That would have allowed Harris to play the slot where he should be a better fit except that McCain outplayed him.

The reason Harris isn't on the field is because he's not one of the best CBs we have. Even Alan Ball was better than Harris is.
I agree with part of what you say. Joseph, KJ and McCain are better than Harris who is 4th IMO. He should be fine this year but does need to step it up. Many of us knocked KJ until his third season. Add an improved Carmichael & we should be good to go at corner.
Old 07-31-2013   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Well, it sure couldn't be because they planned on playing him, because they haven't. Even the best GMs and coaches miss on players. The best ones don't exacerbate the mistake by forcing the issue. If the guy can't play, try to coach him up and see what you can do. If nothing, cut him loose. Harris is closer to being cut loose than he is to starting.
Miss because the player doesn't have the work ethic, the mental capacity, the minimum amount of maturity required.... yes. Players with "major" flaws in talent & ability (for their position) don't usually get drafted in the second round (unless it's Tim Tebow).

You'll draft an Amobi Okoye because he's got the size, strength, speed, burst, explosion that has been successful in the NFL. Maybe he'll need to add a little weight. Maybe he plays a little high. Heck, I'd draft a corner lacking world class speed because I can compensate with scheme.

But if a corner can't break & run, but you drafted him in the second, he'd have been moved to safety immediately.
Old 07-31-2013   #29
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
None of us knows why is hasn't played a lot ...
Speak for yourself. The rest of us know damn good and well why he hasn't played a lot. He's not been good. When you can't find any playing time as a 2nd round draft pick in a secondary that has shown a need for guys behind JJo and KJ (and even in place of KJ earlier), it's pretty obvious why you aren't playing.
Old 07-31-2013   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I agree with part of what you say. Joseph, KJ and McCain are better than Harris who is 4th IMO. He should be fine this year but does need to step it up. Many of us knocked KJ until his third season. Add an improved Carmichael & we should be good to go at corner.
I liked what little bit I saw of Brandon Harris more than the season I saw out of McCain in 2012.

I think McCain plays small. He's got good speed, can change direction well, good coverage skills. But there ain't no guarantee that slot receiver is going to be a little guy. Percy Harvin would have physically abused McCain...... imo, McCain plays small.

Harris is a lot more physical.... maybe he's got short man syndrome, but he's going to get in your grill & make you work for your spot. I like that. He's got a good burst, & though he may not be as fast as McCain, he's more explosive.

Waaaaayyyy too much confidence & if I had to guess, that's what's keeping him off the field.
Old 07-31-2013   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I liked what little bit I saw of Brandon Harris more than the season I saw out of McCain in 2012.

I think McCain plays small. He's got good speed, can change direction well, good coverage skills. But there ain't no guarantee that slot receiver is going to be a little guy. Percy Harvin would have physically abused McCain...... imo, McCain plays small.

Harris is a lot more physical.... maybe he's got short man syndrome, but he's going to get in your grill & make you work for your spot. I like that. He's got a good burst, & though he may not be as fast as McCain, he's more explosive.

Waaaaayyyy too much confidence & if I had to guess, that's what's keeping him off the field.
A CB cannot have too much confidence. Harvin may light up Harris but he cannot stay on a team; was just traded IIRC. There will always be some player that can beat one of our guys. I think Harris will be Joseph's back up. On another subject, I think Pleasant beats out Keo.
Old 08-01-2013   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
A CB cannot have too much confidence.
Agreed. When I'm talking about too much confidence keeping him off the field, I'm imagining some kind of entitlement attitude where he's not working as hard as he should, or whatever that has him in the coaches dog-house. I don't think it's his lack of ability to play this game at this level.
Old 06-09-2014   #33
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 237890 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Last chance for romance...

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Quote:
Brandon Harris continued on the new staff. “I think it is a clean slate for everybody. Just all depends what you do with it.” #Texans

Brandon Harris “New impressions, new staff. Myself as well as everybody else has an opportunity to earn the proper playing time.” #Texans
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #34
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Last chance for romance...

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Has there been one single positive thing said about him by any of the coaching staff or people attending the workouts?
Old 06-09-2014   #35
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 237890 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Has there been one single positive thing said about him by any of the coaching staff or people attending the workouts?
Yes.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #36
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

If there's a spot on the roster, give Harris some time to develop. Remember Kareem used to look like a stirred pot of ____ but developed into a decent, though not great, CB. Harris might do as well.

Let's all pray to the high heavens that this defense won't be another all-man-coverage/zone-helpless concoction. If they, hopefully, play some zone then Harris could fit in.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
If there's a spot on the roster, give Harris some time to develop. Remember Kareem used to look like a stirred pot of ____ but developed into a decent, though not great, CB. Harris might do as well.

Let's all pray to the high heavens that this defense won't be another all-man-coverage/zone-helpless concoction. If they, hopefully, play some zone then Harris could fit in.
Agreed but it is time for Brandon to step up. Mocked him out of school as late round one and when we did not take him in second, I was stunned which turned to excitement when we trade back into second to select him.
Old 06-10-2014   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Agreed but it is time for Brandon to step up. Mocked him out of school as late round one and when we did not take him in second, I was stunned which turned to excitement when we trade back into second to select him.
I thought he played well when he got to play. Rookie mistakes, sure, but with the playing time he's been getting, that should be expected. I think Kubiak didn't like him. Like Tate, I think he was a Rick Smith pick & Kubiak took it out on the kid.
Old 06-10-2014   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought he played well when he got to play. Rookie mistakes, sure, but with the playing time he's been getting, that should be expected. I think Kubiak didn't like him. Like Tate, I think he was a Rick Smith pick & Kubiak took it out on the kid.
If we're going for pure speculation, I bet Kubiak didn't say jack sh!t about who got played on D.
Old 06-10-2014   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
If we're going for pure speculation, I bet Kubiak didn't say jack sh!t about who got played on D.
To further speculate, I bet Wade chose Gary's side as coaches like to stick together & don't need "the man" telling them who to play.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read