Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2013   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training camp 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I do understand that. The issue here is with the read-option offense, not the Pistol formation. That the read option works very well out of the Pistol or Shotgun doesn't make those particular formations, or any other formation it's run from, necessarily dangerous to the QB's health.......if your QB is built for hard hits even when standing still. I saw Big Ben running his offense from the Pistol. He wasn't a QB dual-threat at all. It was all about giving the QB the benefit of the shotgun to read and diagnose the defense while presenting the threat of a power running game to the defense. It would also change the offensive line play. With the RB positioned behind the "shotgun" QB, the ZBS timing would no doubt lose some of its effectiveness.
The most obvious thing I see is the ability of the ZBS to make pass and run plays look the same. That's the biggest advantage of the ZBS and, to me, trumps the read-option. There's no need to be "flukey" and put your QB at risk. Maybe "read-option teams are trying to compensate for poor NFL OL play? I'm just typing and thinking out loud here. Regardless, I see the "read-option" going the way of the Dodo in the near future.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read