Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2013   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Football Outsiders bullish on the Texans

A Q&A I did with Tom Gower on this year's Texans prediction:

Football Outsiders Almanac bullish on the Texans

Tons of stuff we didn't talk about but a nice taste of what is in this year's FOA.
Old 07-31-2013   #2
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Football Outsiders bullish on the Texans

I don't know why but I initially read that as "football outsiders bulls**t on the texans"
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
I don't know why but I initially read that as "football outsiders bulls**t on the texans"
I think that headline would get me in trouble.

In semi-related news, I hate writing headlines.
Old 07-31-2013   #4
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
That's exactly what I first read... LOL
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251670 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Why would it get you in trouble. We bull***t on the Texans all the time around here
Old 07-31-2013   #6
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43559 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What trouble? Aren't you doing Chronicle a favor these days by working for them for free?
Old 07-31-2013   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the read, TC.

BTW, the poll on Keenum and Yates is interesting.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2013   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

TC.... thanks. Somehow you always manage to ask the questions I would ask.

I found this interesting
Quote:
The Texans were right to play such a conservative personnel grouping so often, as they’ve struggled badly the past couple seasons when they’ve played “11.” In 2012, their DVOA in “12″ was 14.9%, compared to -27.5% in “11.” In 2011, when they had Jacoby Jones and thus better WR depth (at least in the games Andre Johnson played), they had a 17.6% DVOA in “12″ and -7.3% DVOA in “11.” DVOA includes an adjustment for game situation, so this suggests the Texans offense simply hasn’t worked as well when they’ve played with more wide receivers. This could reflect the quality of the wide receiver depth, the particular strengths of the offense, or a number of things it’s hard to tease out.”
Old 07-31-2013   #9
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102457 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad to see we all werent just crazy saying Kubiak is slightly conservative
Old 07-31-2013   #10
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
What the hell do they know? Just generating page hits.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
What trouble? Aren't you doing Chronicle a favor these days by working for them for free?
You make a terrific point that is best for me to ignore.

I try to think of it as not a Chronicle thing and more as something I can give to fans who I love. Some people host big tailgates, I host a blog.

Old 07-31-2013   #12
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You make a terrific point that is best for me to ignore.

I try to think of it as not a Chronicle thing and more as something I can give to fans who I love. Some people host big tailgates, I host a blog.

And we all greatly appreciate it!
Old 07-31-2013   #13
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Very good article. Definitely worth the click.
Old 08-01-2013   #14
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Cool, thx!
Old 08-01-2013   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Interestingly, the conclusion is that given the way the team is structured, such conservatism makes sense.

FWIW, this is part of the conclusion about the coaching staff that is included at the end of the chapter:

Quote:
It's a popular thing to claim the Texans need to "open up" or otherwise "diversify" their offense after their playoff failures the past two seasons. Yet detailed reviews of the team's play show a scheme that stresses defenses and punishes indiscipline, often with big plays. Gary Kubiak handles more of the pass game and Rick Dennison more of the run game and both do an excellent job of getting the most out of the talent they have. It will be up to well-regarded offensive line coach John Benton to help get the right side of the line in better shape this season.
Old 08-01-2013   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Makes you wonder if there was really a problem. We still won 12 games during the regular season. We still managed to have one of the top offenses in the NFL, points as well as yards.

Maybe Kubiak knows this team better than we give him credit for & were he not as conservative, we wouldn't have won so many games.

I know people don't like the 3 yards & a cloud of dust offense. Personally, If we get a 12+ point lead, we should work on running the ball when the other team knows we're going to run the ball. I want to win the TOP, I don't want to give the ball to the other team.... ever.

Even without a lead, I want to run the ball & keep it away from Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, & Peyton Manning. As long as we aren't down by two scores with less than a qtr to play, I want to see that ground & pound against those guys.

But those long drawn out possessions need to end in points, 6 preferably.
Old 08-01-2013   #17
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Maybe Kubiak knows this team better than we give him credit for & were he not as conservative, we wouldn't have won so many games...
Don't! You're just encouraging him to run more 3rd down draws!
Old 08-01-2013   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Makes you wonder if there was really a problem. We still won 12 games during the regular season. We still managed to have one of the top offenses in the NFL, points as well as yards.
Maybe something different could have helped us be THE TOP offense in the NFL.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I've said it before and I'll probably have to say it again but...

I prefer this conservative approach. I prefer winning by choking someone out than losing with big, flashy, grandiose plays. I've got no problem with a team that isn't afraid to punt and trust its defense to step up instead of having to flail around and pray for a big play to bail them out.

And it's not like we're a conservative team that wins squeaker after squeaker by the skin of our teeth, a team that keeps it close and tries to get some last second score to win. We dominated most of the games we won last year... even when we weren't playing all that well. To me, that's just some good damn strategy right there.

We have to play better down the stretch and we have to find a way to stop higher-caliber offenses and not get ourselves in out-of-hand situations against teams like the Patriots and Packers. But. This is a young team that is new to winning and it's in the process of developing a winning tradition and a winning identity. I'm cool with that. We just need to keep winning and keep getting better at it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I've said it before and I'll probably have to say it again but...

I prefer this conservative approach. I prefer winning by choking someone out than losing with big, flashy, grandiose plays. I've got no problem with a team that isn't afraid to punt and trust its defense to step up instead of having to flail around and pray for a big play to bail them out.

And it's not like we're a conservative team that wins squeaker after squeaker by the skin of our teeth, a team that keeps it close and tries to get some last second score to win. We dominated most of the games we won last year... even when we weren't playing all that well. To me, that's just some good damn strategy right there.

We have to play better down the stretch and we have to find a way to stop higher-caliber offenses and not get ourselves in out-of-hand situations against teams like the Patriots and Packers. But. This is a young team that is new to winning and it's in the process of developing a winning tradition and a winning identity. I'm cool with that. We just need to keep winning and keep getting better at it.
Co-signed.
Just win.

The aforementioned Patriots and Packers threw the ball around the yard. Neither made the Super Bowl last year. Arguably the best QB of this "age" (#18) who's known for his lofty passing stats was one-and-done in the playoffs last year.

Just do whatever the heck works against whoever the heck we're playing.
Just win.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read