Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013   #321
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 280296 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training camp 2013

--houstontexans.com
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #322
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Ben Tate is getting ready to have a great year. I see it.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #323
GoCoogs
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
My thoughts on the above comments.

Reason why Kubiak is being asked about Dennis Johnson is that in camp in particular he has stood out. In yesterday's AM practice there was a play he did going into the endzone where he showed incredible power and balance and speed at the same time.

I'm not buying that TJ v. Case is a real thing. Kubiak is asked a lot about case and he wants to push TJ. Both TJ and Case had a meh preseason last year.

The good news is that both TJ and Case look better this season. All the QBs had a difficult day today and Kubiak wasn't pleased by that. JJ Watt was causing all sorts of mischief. Others too, but Watt was nuts.
Thank you for your insight. As compared to McGee how does Case look?
GoCoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #324
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 280296 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

For those who want to get an idea of who Ed Reed is, http://www.stateofthetexans.com/ posted this video of yesterday's little Q&A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UYbN8bjQ8w

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 41m
Quote:
"He's buried on the depth chart... But every time he gets a chance to make a play, he makes it," Kubiak on Alec Lemon. #Texans

Kubiak says Jeff Maehl's hamstring is a concern. Lester Jean has a bit of a hamstring issue too. #Texans
Old 07-31-2013   #325
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
For those who want to get an idea of who Ed Reed is, http://www.stateofthetexans.com/ posted this video of yesterday's little Q&A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UYbN8bjQ8w
Somebody needs to get that wino a BattleRed T-Shirt.
Old 07-31-2013   #326
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

reads bottom-to-top
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Quote:
If he can continue to learn as fast as he is now, the 6'5 shot blocking Watt will have a 6'6 twin tower in Willie coming thru the lane.

Very limited action on the defensive side of the ball, but he still wins matchup. He has & is still working to add more weight.

Watched him the rest of OTAs & continued to intrigue. Now in TC he's still making plays. It's crazy to see such a raw, former WR / TE w/ pop

First time I went to Texans' OTAs I asked myself who is this lanky 6'6 guy w/ heavy hands working the bag. Turned out to be Willie Jefferson

Mays said that in the time he's been around JJ he sees that same element in Watt. Says they both have talent, but work ethic sets apart

Mays smiled & said that they were special players. They both make your job easier. Working w/ Von you see he's the hardest worker...

Talked to Joe Mays for a minute today, asked him what it's like to go from playing w/ Von Miller to now JJ Watt?

If Roc starts to trust what he sees and knows, he will be a stud. He's always had the skill set, it's now on him to show the confidence.

Roc Carmichael is in a big camp for him. He may have the best feet, hips on the team. He can make plays, but not trusting his instincts.

I asked Chick Harris how does this team keep getting all this UDFA RB talent? Harris smirked & said hell of a scouting department & FO.

That doesn't mean Texans look to him over Tate this yr. Fear factor for Houston is another team steals him off PS. I have to think DJ is on.

I actually think that Wood will be a better every down back in Houston's ZBS than Tate. It's the reason Tate won't be back in 2014 IMO.

Wood isn't flashy, but neither was Foster. Wood is patient, understands the scheme, & sees the blueprint of the blocking.

Ray Graham & Cierre Wood look the same in practice as they did on last year's tape. Graham still not back to pre-injury form. Year away.

Regardless, that's what I like about Bouye's game. Crazy to think UCF had Bouye & Josh Robinson. Bouye's instant vert closes sideline down.

AJ Bouye is a tough one for me. On tape, in drills, he doesn't have great feet & struggles w/ transition. His vertical explosion is superb!

DeVier Posey said he has a goal of playing week 1. He looks hungry & the fact the team drafted a WR in the 1st has to drive him.

After AJ, Hopkins rookie, Posey & Martin yr 2, Jean & Maehl yr 3. Team may decide to keep a guy they've invested 3 yrs on in young group.

If Bonner isn't head & shoulders better than DJ on returns, may keep 3rd down back on returns & get Bonner on PS.

I've been high on Dennis Johnson for awhile now. Legitimate homerun threat & return man. DJ could factor into decision on WRs.

EZ Nwachukwu is old reliable. He doesn't have great speed or size etc. He could easily get lost in the shuffle, but he's consistent.

Andy Cruze catches your eye every now & then, but way too heavy footed. You can literally hear the thud on his breaks.

Bonner will be a watch & game action will be huge for him. Alec Lemon is making me look bad. Thought he had 0 shot. Catching everything now

Alan Bonner is the wildcard. He's already grown tremendously from OTAs to Training Camp. Great speed, most natural catcher on STs.

Will be a lot of variables in who / how many Texans keep at WR. Jean isn't showing great growth. Maehl routes are a + now, but inconsistent

I imagine Johnson, Hopkins, Posey, Martin are all on the roster. I'd expect them to have long ongoing conversations about whether to keep 5+

Texans' fans shouldn't expect it to be absolute. If Posey is performing, they'll work him in rotation. His versatility will be huge.

Speaking w/ Texans' WR coach, Larry Kirksey the other day, it was apparent that they want versatility. While AJ may be X, Hop - Z, Martin- Y

Like most young players that get hurt, Posey will come back w/ greater knowledge on routes. He's a key player that will be able to do X,Y,Z

Finally got a chance to speak w/ DeVier Posey today. I can't go into details on injured players, so I'll keep it basic....

Hopkins said that Schaub would stay out there and work with the WRs after practice. You can tell Schaub realizes how important chemistry is.

Hopkins said that the whole WR group has been more than helpful, but said that Schaub was actually taking a lot of time w/ them.

Saw DeVier Posey telling Hopkins something on his transition out of a cut, so I asked who's been helping him develop...

I told Hopkins that he reminded me of Hakeem Nicks & asked who he felt his game was closest to. Said no one, he just wants to be himself.

Hopkins asked for 1 last ball & still at high velocity caught it back handed w/ his right hand. He didn't have any touch the ground.

The rookie, Hopkins put on a show. DeAndre snagged 4 passes at high velocity off the jugs w/ his right hand & turned & did 4 w/ his left

Daily Foster, Reed, AJ, & Daniels practice on the jugs machine together. This was the 1st day that I saw Hopkins participate w/ them.

Hopkins said that it wasn't anything serious, came back out and finished the rest of the drills at full speed & didn't think more about it.

After Hopkins came back from getting his ankle wrapped, they made him test repeatedly. When asked if it was an issue. ....

There are just too many talented WRs on this Texans' roster. Alan Bonner will get the best look, but a lot tied into his ST play.

EZ took several reps with the 1s. He hasn't been flashy, but a consistent WR. Obviously a favorite (Aggies) of Kubiak's.

Hopkins had to come off the field for a second at practice. It appeared that he tweaked the ankle. While he was out EZ Nwachukwu subbed in

Hopkins said that he's still learning & made a mistake on the route. The same thing has happened a few times in camp. It's still early.

I gave Hopkins an out & asked if it was an option route & he just saw something different than Schaub. DeAndre owned up though.

Despite Hopkins' talent, even 1st round WRs have an adjustment period to the NFL game & it takes time to get on the same page w/ new QB.

I spoke with DeAndre Hopkins after practice about his chemistry with Schaub. Hopkins ran a deep post & Schaub threw the "go".

Some quick notes from the Texans' practice this morning:
Old 07-31-2013   #327
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep grinding Willie! We need that pass rusher.
Old 07-31-2013   #328
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Talked to Joe Mays for a minute today, asked him what it's like to go from playing w/ Von Miller to now JJ Watt?

Mays said that in the time he's been around JJ he sees that same element in Watt. Says they both have talent, but work ethic sets apart

Mays smiled & said that they were special players. They both make your job easier. Working w/ Von you see he's the hardest worker...
So he's saying Von Miller was the "hardest worker" in Denver and JJ is the "hardest worker" on the Texans? Or Miller is a harder worker than JJ?

Help a short bus out...kinda ambiguous or I'm reading it wrong.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #329
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 51991 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
So he's saying Von Miller was the "hardest worker" in Denver and JJ is the "hardest worker" on the Texans? Or Miller is a harder worker than JJ?

Help a short bus out...kinda ambiguous or I'm reading it wrong.
i think he says they both have talent but JJ has the better work ethic, thats how I read it.
Old 07-31-2013   #330
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
So he's saying Von Miller was the "hardest worker" in Denver and JJ is...
a hard worker, which is as much as he could know from one practice with the Texans.
Old 07-31-2013   #331
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

When it was reported that the offense was running the Pistol, it was mentioned that it was to prepare the defense for facing the Pistol during the season. It was mentioned that it was logically Keenum that was running it. But now, I find out that SCHAUB was running it. Furthermore, the defensive players that were asked about what the idea was behind it, they supposedly became totally evasive. Keenum running the Pistol...........OK. Schaub running the Pistol?????????????
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #332
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Schaub running the Pistol?????????????
The Pistol isn't a strictly QB run option formation.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #333
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When it was reported that the offense was running the Pistol, it was mentioned that it was to prepare the defense for facing the Pistol during the season. It was mentioned that it was logically Keenum that was running it. But now, I find out that SCHAUB was running it. Furthermore, the defensive players that were asked about what the idea was behind it, they supposedly became totally evasive. Keenum running the Pistol...........OK. Schaub running the Pistol?????????????
Old 07-31-2013   #334
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The Pistol isn't a strictly QB run option formation.
I do understand that. The issue here is with the read-option offense, not the Pistol formation. That the read option works very well out of the Pistol or Shotgun doesn't make those particular formations, or any other formation it's run from, necessarily dangerous to the QB's health.......if your QB is built for hard hits even when standing still. I saw Big Ben running his offense from the Pistol. He wasn't a QB dual-threat at all. It was all about giving the QB the benefit of the shotgun to read and diagnose the defense while presenting the threat of a power running game to the defense. It would also change the offensive line play. With the RB positioned behind the "shotgun" QB, the ZBS timing would no doubt lose some of its effectiveness.
Old 07-31-2013   #335
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 3223 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Ben Tate is getting ready to have a great year. I see it.
Thx ill keep that in mind for fantasy . p
Old 07-31-2013   #336
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
i think he says they both have talent but JJ has the better work ethic, thats how I read it.
????

How did you get that?

He's saying they both have talent but what makes them both special is their work ethic.
Old 07-31-2013   #337
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I do understand that. The issue here is with the read-option offense, not the Pistol formation. That the read option works very well out of the Pistol or Shotgun doesn't make those particular formations, or any other formation it's run from, necessarily dangerous to the QB's health.......if your QB is built for hard hits even when standing still. I saw Big Ben running his offense from the Pistol. He wasn't a QB dual-threat at all. It was all about giving the QB the benefit of the shotgun to read and diagnose the defense while presenting the threat of a power running game to the defense. It would also change the offensive line play. With the RB positioned behind the "shotgun" QB, the ZBS timing would no doubt lose some of its effectiveness.
http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...nesday-morning

Quote:
I was then told by a Texans employee that Gary Kubiak has already addressed the "Pistol" question and that he is simply using it to give his defenses a look at the formation since they will likely see it more often.

Honestly, I believe that to be the case. If Kubiak wanted to unveil a new formation during the season, he probably wouldn't show it at an open practice for the fans. I believe the Texans need to run some Pistol formation as I think it could help Schaub get into a rhythm with his quick passing game and the Texans can still run their stretch plays out of that formation as well.
Old 07-31-2013   #338
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If it is indeed mostly/only for the defense, the dangerous Pistol teams we will be facing are the ones that will have their QBs as high risk for tucking the ball and running..........you aren't going to mimicking that by using anyone but Keenum........certainly, not Schaub.
Old 07-31-2013   #339
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If it is indeed mostly/only for the defense, the dangerous Pistol teams we will be facing are the ones that will have their QBs as high risk for tucking the ball and running..........you aren't going to mimicking that by using anyone but Keenum........certainly, not Schaub.
Exactly. Either way, it's chuckle worthy.
Old 07-31-2013   #340
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I asked a generalized read option question the other day re: SF & Seattle. The question isn't exactly the way I worded it, but it never is. This was the answer 7/29:

(on defending the read-option and playing more teams that employ that scheme this season) “We always do things or put things in that we may not necessarily do because we have to do it to prepare for other teams. It is something that we’re going to teach here in a couple of days as part of our progression, so that we can get our defense ready to do that. That doesn’t mean we’re going to be a read-option team. We’ve got to go with what we have strength-wise as a team, but you’re always teaching things. (Defensive Coordinator) Wade (Phillips) has to run some defensive schemes so that we can get ready offensively. We have to do the same thing as them offensively to get Wade and them ready. It’s all part of the grand scheme and obviously it’s a big part of football right now.”

They start off teaching the basics of the defense from scratch so that the rookies know it and then install more of it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read