Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2013   #141
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think this says a little bit about where the Texans are as an organization.

Mays was making $3M/yr last season. He signed for next to nothing. I'd have thought he would "believe" he is worth more than what we offered. Maybe even go to the 'skins to play with RG3, or New Orleans & try to win a Super Bowl.

But he picked us & it wasn't for the money.
I mentioned that a coworker, Redskins fan, when the signing news broke. Hey we don't suck anymore! People will take less to play for us now. No more Orlando Pace deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #142
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans showing interest in ILB Joe Mays (UPDATE) signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Doc, if you don't mind looking into Mays' fractured fibula story, please.

Mays lost his starting job to old-man Brooking, I doubt that he's a better option than a healthy Sharpton.

Also, isn't Cushing supposed to be playing more at the MO for Wade?
This is what I previously posted re. the fibula fracture:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This^^^^^

Hell, he'd be great without being next to Cushing. He sustained what at first was thought to be an "ankle fracture" last October. However, it ended up being a distal fibula fracture, just above the level of the ankle joint. He had it surgically repaired and should be able to return to pre-injury level this season.
Reading the negative comments to us signing him on........especially based on his possibly losing his starting status following poor play in (and/or leading up to) the NE game last year, I have a thought on this. It would not be very "out in left field" to surmise that the several games preceding his fracture could have been a sign of "things to come".........a prodome. Overt fibula fractures are not uncommonly preceded by an undiagnosed fibula STRESS fracture. With a stress fracture, there may only be significant "soreness." Plain x-rays many times will not show the stress fracture, especially the first couple of weeks.........and there would be no signs of ankle bone separation expected in ankle sprains (including high ankle sprains) which can also be seen on plain x-rays if present. So significant injury is felt to be ruled out and the player is taped up and allowed to continue playing with resulting uncharacteristic subpar performance. Then later on, a significant loading force on the fibula, which he received when he jumped up high and came down hard for the punt block play where he suffered a completed fracture to the fibula, would not be surprising at all.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #143
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 25876 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is what I previously posted re. the fibula fracture:

Reading the negative comments to us signing him on........especially based on his possibly losing his starting status following poor play in (and/or leading up to) the NE game last year, I have a thought on this. It would not be very "out in left field" to surmise that the several games preceding his fracture could have been a sign of "things to come".........a prodome. Overt fibula fractures are not uncommonly preceded by an undiagnosed fibula STRESS fracture. With a stress fracture, there may only be significant "soreness." Plain x-rays many times will not show the stress fracture, especially the first couple of weeks.........and there would be no signs of ankle bone separation expected in ankle sprains (including high ankle sprains) which can also be seen on plain x-rays if present. So significant injury is felt to be ruled out and the player is taped up and allowed to continue playing with resulting uncharacteristic subpar performance. Then later on, a significant loading force on the fibula, which he received when he jumped up high and came down hard for the punt block play where he suffered a completed fracture to the fibula, would not be surprising at all.
Didn't Brisiel have a similar injury for us the year before, which was preceded by soreness or sprain, or negative xrays, or something else the team fed us?
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #144
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I kid you for your apocolyptic predictions, but I truly am thankful that you freely share your knowledge & opinions with us.
Old 07-29-2013   #145
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Its a good signing. We upgraded depth and possibly becomes our #2. Nothing really has changed tho. It all comes down to Cush being healthy or not. Denver also had a problem with Mays was in pass coverage.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #146
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Didn't Brisiel have a similar injury for us the year before, which was preceded by soreness or sprain, or negative xrays, or something else the team fed us?
Yes very similar.
Old 07-29-2013   #147
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I kid you for your apocolyptic predictions, but I truly am thankful that you freely share your knowledge & opinions with us.
Thank you for your kind words. I've actually enjoyed our little "fencing" episodes over the years (such as but not restricted to Schaub's foot ). It keeps me on my toes having to always dig deep for honing my points.
Old 07-29-2013   #148
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Doc, your take was quite logical, and I was about to say so... but I thought I check things out a little more.

He sustained the injury in game seven while blocking on a punt return.

We're back to square one.

It doesn't make sense to me that the Broncos would cut him.
Brooking is gone, and they don't have any proven player behind these two guys.
They also have plenty of cap space, so this doesn't sound like a cost cutting move.

Unless both of the young players on the roster showed tremendous improvement in OTA... but do coaches evaluate players without pads on that quickly?

I can't help but remain skeptical.

Maybe I should go back and watch some tapes; at least I heard that he's a good special team player, and we do need that.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013   #149
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Doc, your take was quite logical, and I was about to say so... but I thought I check things out a little more.

He sustained the injury in game seven while blocking on a punt return.

We're back to square one.

It doesn't make sense to me that the Broncos would cut him.
Brooking is gone, and they don't have any proven player behind these two guys.
They also have plenty of cap space, so this doesn't sound like a cost cutting move.

Unless both of the young players on the roster showed tremendous improvement in OTA... but do coaches evaluate players without pads on that quickly?

I can't help but remain skeptical.

Maybe I should go back and watch some tapes; at least I heard that he's a good special team player, and we do need that.
Actually, the timing fits the picture for a non weight-bearing bone like the fibula. From player to player, there will be variable factors affecting IF and HOW MUCH TIME passes from original development of a fibula stress fracture to overt fracture of this bone. I've seen examples where stress fractures were actually missed on x-ray reading (as demonstrated in re-readings made in retrospect) with the overt fracture not occurring for a months thereafter. Meanwhile, the player is in significant pain (tough football players tend to "suck it up" and minimize their complaints) with performance definitely negatively effected. The pain of a stress fracture may begin gradually. Usually the pain worsens with increasing levels of activity and is relieved by rest. When rest is not provided, the stress fracture line may extend and deepen until a point in time (different in each case) when it weakens enough to go on to overt fracture. A sudden loading impact (jumping up then landing hard) will many times be the factor that creates this ultimate event.
Old 07-30-2013   #150
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-h...n-starting-ilb

Quote:
The Texans signed veteran linebacker Joe Mays to a one-year contract on Monday. But they might have done it for more than depth purposes.

Mays, who spent the last three years in Denver, does give the Texans some much-needed depth at the inside linebacker position, with Brian Cushing recovering from an ACL surgery and Darryl Sharpton on the Non-football Injury list.

But he’s also going to be given a chance to win a starting role.
Quote:
In reality, nobody has earned a starting job at MO here right now,” Herring said. “So we’re going to take the recourses we have on the field, implement them competitively. And whoever plays the best, will play that week. But we’re not going to get into all of that right now. We just need to get Darryl back on the field. He’s gotta get on the field and play and sustain. We have to get Joe Mays on the field and caught up.”
Explains how the Texans signed him at such a low number versus the Redskins who said it would be a back up position on their team.

Also feel this sends a message to Sharpton, "Shape up or ship out".
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013   #151
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Quote:
In reality, nobody has earned a starting job at MO here right now, Herring said

That settles that. Cushing is back to MIKE
Old 07-30-2013   #152
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

Explains how the Texans signed him at such a low number versus the Redskins who said it would be a back up position on their team.

Also feel this sends a message to Sharpton, "Shape up or ship out".
I am really hoping Sharpton gets that message this season. I am concerned why Denver cut Mays if not a cap issue. $4m is not extreme for a ILB and if he is recovered enough to start for Houston why not Denver?
Old 07-30-2013   #153
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am really hoping Sharpton gets that message this season. I am concerned why Denver cut Mays if not a cap issue. $4m is not extreme for a ILB and if he is recovered enough to start for Houston why not Denver?
Don't be concerned. If he doesn't work out, so what? We didn't invest anything really.

Only reason to be worried is if you think he's our last hope at ILB next to Cushing.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013   #154
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
It's possible Mays hit his ceiling & Denver felt they overpaid for him. We don't need him to be a $4M guy.

He's a sixth round pick that's flashed a time or two. More than likely they paid him like we paid Winston who couldn't get a job until just recently.
Quote:
The Texans need depth at inside 'backer, but they're not going to like it if Mays is ever forced to start.
Old 07-30-2013   #155
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
It's possible Mays hit his ceiling & Denver felt they overpaid for him. We don't need him to be a $4M guy.

He's a sixth round pick that's flashed a time or two. More than likely they paid him like we paid Winston who couldn't get a job until just recently.
Consider the fact that since the Broncos signed him prior to the 2010 season:

They have gone from a 3-4 to a 4-3 base defense
They have a new head coach (McDaniels then, Fox now)
They have a new D-Coordinator (Don Martindale then, Jack Del Rio now, Dennis Allen in-between)
They have a new GM/Exec. VP of Fball operations (Brian Xander then, John Elway now)

I don't know if there was a "football" reason that the Broncos got rid of him, but realistically, even if there was a "football" reason to keep him, it's a pretty good bet that there was nobody left who was invested in him enough to point it out.
Old 07-30-2013   #156
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

All very true guys and I still like the signing. If he is healthy, imo he starts over Sharpton. Now if we could just bring in a vet NT. lol
Old 07-30-2013   #157
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
All very true guys and I still like the signing. If he is healthy, imo he starts over Sharpton. Now if we could just bring in a vet NT. lol
I'm ok with the signing. If Sharpton stays healthy, we probably won't see much of Mays anyway.

If I'm wrong, he starts, & he's a big part of what our defense does... we make out pretty good.
Old 07-30-2013   #158
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
bb, I see the "lol" thingy so "not sure if serious"?

Camp reviews have been surprisingly positive (to some) about Earl Mitchell and all the cats behind him.

So are you serious or are we "lol-ing"?

Just axin'.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #159
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49619 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub should do this the first time he meets Mays:

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #160
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13265 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Schaub should do this the first time he meets Mays:

Good one

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read