Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 07-30-2013   #61
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lets make fun of the cowboys....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCowboy View Post
I am serious when I say this,

people really need to stop getting on that bus when it comes to the division
title! it's meaningless, the media only uses it to hype up the team for next
season

the ones who matter are the ones who win a Lombardi title not the ones
who win a division title and make the playoffs
Division title means automatic playoff birth. Can't win the Super Bowl without a playoff birth. Pretty sure they mean something. Reference this board 2 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan View Post
A rivalry has never formed on the field

I prefer the TITans/Colts rivalry and now I believe its going to get good between us and the Pats.
Have we earned any rivalries yet?

The only thing I can think of is maybe Cincinnati since we knocked them out of the play off twice. We've never really gotten the best of anyone else when there was something on the line.
Old 07-30-2013   #63
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

The only thing I can think of is maybe Cincinnati since we knocked them out of the play off twice. We've never really gotten the best of anyone else when there was something on the line.
Well, if that's your definition of a rivalry, this can't be one since the Bengals have never beaten the Texans with anything on the line. As you've implied, rivalries can't work one-way.
Old 07-30-2013   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
seeing them win a division title and earning a playoff birth and
even winning in the post season has become a old hat for me!
Maybe so... but it's gotta hurt going into week 17 knowing if you win that game... that one game, you would have a chance to go on & win that Lombardi... if you could only win that one game.

But you lose that game. You don't win the division. You don't get into the play offs. You don't win the Lombardi.

Two years in a row, the same scenario. You win, you're in.
Old 07-30-2013   #65
revan
Veteran

Rep Power: 27197 revan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respectedrevan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Well, if that's your definition of a rivalry, this can't be one since the Bengals have never beaten the Texans with anything on the line. As you've implied, rivalries can't work one-way.
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

IMO when Andre dropped the biggest case of whoop a** on Finnegan that's when it became a true rivalry for me. After that the games vs the Titans were always something to watch. I know to most people they actually like the Titans as evidenced by the hardcore cheering when Vince Young scored on us and he basically got a standing ovation.

I hated the cowboys, now I just don't care and every time I see a Texan fan arguing with a Cowboys fan they just bring up the same points over and over. "We got five rings", "we have won more playoff games" after a while it gets tiring and I'm not one to get excited over preseason games. But to each his own.
Old 07-31-2013   #66
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is what it is!!!

whether you don't make the post season and get another chance or
you do make the post season and get another chance,

Losing ends all bets and that is the price you pay when you are
gambling in high stakes. and so it means nothing in the end if you
came in hoping for the best only the reality of you going home with
your head hung in shame is all you take away at the end of the day

so don't expect keys to the city and a large parade with fans
lining the street cheering as you ride down the main drag, You
clean out your locker and pray like hell there is a job waiting for
you next season
Are you enjoying not winning the division and being in 3rd in your division? Because cleaning out lockers and not winning division titles is becoming common place in Dallas. Facts speak for themselves. Winning cures all and the Cowboys have a serious case of not going to the dance.

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 07-31-2013   #67
gwallaia

Rep Power: 66021 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowboys Stadium has been renamed AT&T Cowboys Stadium and Tony Romo will be used in a marketing campaign to promote the new name. AT&T customers should expect to have many of their calls intercepted.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #68
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
It is what it is!!!
I see.

So when Dallas was backing into the play offs, going one & done & we were on the outside looking in, making the play offs was a big deal.

Now that we're winning our division & advancing past the Wild-Card round while Dallas is clearing out their lockers, it's no big deal.

I see how you are.
Old 07-31-2013   #69
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
Having never won a Lombardi title I really can not expect you to undersmakitand
true expectations, but will give it a shot

Dallas is buried deep in history, Landry's era winning 2 titles with great teams
Johnson's 90's dynasty winning it 3 times in a 4 year span.

and now we have the Jerruh era! which has produced nothing since the
fore mentioned era's above

the point I am making here

is the emphasis is not on something you can not hold on to, but the 1
prize you can hold on to.

So at the end of the day it does not matter if you had a winning record
that is gone once you reach the post season. doesn't matter if you won
the division that too is also gone once you reach the post season

Hell even wins in the regular season just like the loses in the regular
season are gone as well! like I said that is the price payed when you
are playing in high stakes gambling

these guys aren't looking back at last week and saying gee fella's
remember when I picked off Jay Cutler and destroyed their biggest
Linebacker on my way for the game winning TD in OT?

They know what the result was and now it's new week and last week
is last week! the result is or isn't in their favor, nothing they can do
to change it..

Simply put

It's let go they move on until they can no longer go any further due to
winning of the super bowl or they fell short of winning the super bowl

if they fall short, as I said there is no ticker tape parade, fans lining
the street and keys to the city while people make speeches

and so I am not about to cling to the unimportant stuff and get all
worked up knowing that their is a bigger goal I expect them to claim

You want to talk playoffs? They've won TWO playoff games since their last championship; 17 seasons ago. You don't win a Superbowl without winning playoff games. Wins from 20 to 40 years ago mean squat today.

Even the Cowboys Official site talks about winning regular season games to get into the playoffs!

Can This Cowboys Team Get That Elusive Playoff Win?; LINK

Quote:
But fans want to know if the Cowboys will finally be good enough to translate their success to playoff wins. Obviously the last two years, they have come up short in the final game of the season, losing to the Giants in 2011 and Washington in 2012 with the NFC East title on the line.
Holding on to championships from the 70's and 90's is like the Prom Queen that got old and fat. Yeah she was hot once but you sure as hell wouldn't bang her now. You keep remembering those days while the rest of the league looks at winning now.

Quote:
Old 07-31-2013   #70
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Since the Texans inaugural season (2002), the Texans have won twice as many playoff games as the 'Gurls.
Old 07-31-2013   #71
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is what you don't have and so like I said it is hard for you to
understand true expectations..These guys have 1 goal to be like the
greats on the wall or get the hell out the way

and I can tell you with out a single doubt in my mind that is not going
to be achieved unless they win a Lombardi title
The players on the Cowboys are professional athletes just like players on every other NFL team. To think they have different expectations of themselves simply because they play for the Cowboys is dumb. The "greatness" and aura of a team is more for the fans than for the players.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
This is were we are gonna differ

wins from 10-20 years ago mean all the world to players on the roster
today, because these are the guys they idolize and look up and have
a hard time ignoring when they walk down the hall to Jerruh's office or
to the weight and film room and there hanging on the wall
I agree with that. Those trophies in the case should let every player know they're falling short of that legacy.
Old 07-31-2013   #73
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
The players on the Cowboys are professional athletes just like players on every other NFL team. To think they have different expectations of themselves simply because they play for the Cowboys is dumb. The "greatness" and aura of a team is more for the fans than for the players.
I don't know if I agree with that. Before these guys were players they were fans or NFL observers...

They know about team mystique just like all the fans do.

That's not to say that someone drafted to the Jaguars isn't going to work hard, but there is a different feeling around an organization when you walk in the building and see multiple hall of fame players, several championship trophies and just a rich history of winning.

As a player you know that you are in a place where the expectations of you are championship or bust. Greatness is your goal.

In some other place where there isn't that rich history of winning the atmosphere is a lot more forgiving if you have a good season and do good things but don't win or make a superbowl.

The players know that. They feel that.

That's like if you go to work for Apple or Microsoft vs someone working for some small local technology company. Or like working for Google vs working for DuckDuckGo.com

You know when you walk into your Job at Microsoft that there's a different level of expectations....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #74
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
that's right they are professional athletes and as professional athletes
they do not put themselves above the all time greats, they know what
they must do in order to achieve the respect they want

They win a Lombardi title or they continue to give the greats
the homage they rightfully have earned, there is no room at
the top for 2

There can only be 1 Romo and everyone since the triplets has known
this to be the case.

yet it seems fans still can't grasp what is the simplest of concepts
fighting over what mediocrity is the better mediocrity? the answer
is no mediocrity is better

Despite what the mediots have said repeatedly...there isn't ice cream
and cake for the runners up as a pity party cheer up!

if the Cowboys and Texans both started their inaugural seasons in 2002
then yes your statement is correct.

but here in reality your statement is false

Dallas is 5 decades ahead of the expansion Texans as far as existence
goes and light years ahead in wins including that of the post season,
division titles, conference and Lombardi title

there is no comparison between the 2 except in the fact that
both current teams are unable to achieve the ultimate prize
making them equal not greater
My statement is in no way false. Since the inception of the Texans in 2002 (or the last 11 seasons) the Texans have won twice as many playoff games as the 'Gurls over that span.

FACT!

Comprehension is key!
Old 07-31-2013   #75
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't know if I agree with that. Before these guys were players they were fans or NFL observers...

Not only that, there's a difference between NFL players just putting in their time to get paid & the NFL players putting in the work to be a champion. If you have too many of one & too few of the other... you get what they Cowboys have had for the last 10 years.

Just make it look good, son.
Old 07-31-2013   #76
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

That's not to say that someone drafted to the Jaguars isn't going to work hard, but there is a different feeling around an organization when you walk in the building and see multiple hall of fame players, several championship trophies and just a rich history of winning.

As a player you know that you are in a place where the expectations of you are championship or bust. Greatness is your goal.

In some other place where there isn't that rich history of winning the atmosphere is a lot more forgiving if you have a good season and do good things but don't win or make a superbowl.

The players know that. They feel that.

That's like if you go to work for Apple or Microsoft vs someone working for some small local technology company. Or like working for Google vs working for DuckDuckGo.com

You know when you walk into your Job at Microsoft that there's a different level of expectations....
I think all that has more do with the current make up of an organization rather than the history behind it. I would say the mindset of the Texans organization right now is not much different than that of the Packers, Steelers, Patriots, or Cowboys. But when an organization that has a long tradition of winning starts to lose, I don't think players have a different mindset. I don't think Cowboys players during the Dave Campo years were in awe because of the team they were on, simply because those teams weren't any good. So even though the Texans have sucked for most of our short existence, this team probably has the same mentality that the Patriots, Packers, or Ravens do because they're all capable of winning the Super Bowl and not because of the history of the franchise.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #77
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Mem'ries,

Light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories
Of the way we were

Scattered pictures,
Of the smiles we left behind

Smiles we gave to one another
For the way we were

Can it be that it was all so simple then?

Or has time re-written every line?

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #78
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Goodness gracious

Maybe they are right. The Cowboys do need to broadcast their games on the History channel
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #79
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Wrong

Actually I like the cowboys but I don't feel the need to bring up super bowl wins from almost 20 years ago to prove a point. Same way I don't feel the need to bring up the rockets NBA titles.

It Just has an Al Bunday "4 touchdowns in a high school championship game" vibe

Cowboys have rich history.no denying it but they haven't pissed a drop since since 1996. For the most part one and done when it mattered.

We will see what happens this season

Your kidding yourself if you think players on any team aren't thinking of a Lombardi trophy whether they have none or 5 sitting at the teams facilities
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #80
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read