Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2013   #121
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans showing interest in ILB Joe Mays (UPDATE) signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Yeah.... I don't think Mays improves our team in this dept.

I did a quick look at ESPN Stats. Looks like Dobbins got 4 PDs, Reed got 3 PDs, Brian Cushing got 2, & Ruud got 2 PDs

I may have missed it, but I'm sure Barwin got at least two as well.. though his & Reed's would include batting balls down at the LOS, which is different as it says nothing about their ability in coverage.

If you click on my link, you'll see where the LBs start showing up. There are a few on page 2, but you start to see a lot of them here on page 3, with 7 PDs. Those are the guys working that middle level, making it difficult for QBs... Ryan Kerrigan, Luke Kuechly, Akeem Ayers, Bryan Urlacher, D'Qwell Jackson, Paul Posluszny, & Curtis Lofton. Had Cushing played all year, he probably would have had 11.

At the same time, had Dobbins been used more in pass defense, he most likely would have had more than 4, Ruud as well.

So.... looks like Wade has the players, or has had the players to do what I'm looking for, he just chooses not to.... & he picks up players that are basically carbon copies of one another... Mays looks like Sharpton to me.

& that's ok. I'll stop looking for that coverage LB just like I stopped looking for that space eating NT a long time ago.
The vast majority of the guys you listed played in a 43 system; while Kerrigan was an OLB in the 34.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #122
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Between you and TK the data mining I had planned to do has been done. The bottom line appears to be that no other team's ILB set has done any better than the Texans' bunch did last year; even with Cushing out for most of the year.
Except we don't know how many TDs they allowed, LOL

You can do that as I'm taking a long break
Old 07-29-2013   #123
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbbc833 View Post
Broncos fans are unanimously happy to see him gone. Maybe he will be their version of Jacoby and prove them wrong
I'd be happy too if we just cut a 2 down player making $3M/yr (not named Demeco Ryans)

Who are they happy with replacing him with?
Old 07-29-2013   #124
76Texan
Hall of Fame

http://www.footballnation.com/conten...nswer/21747/2/

Not pretty.
Old 07-29-2013   #125
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Per the ESPN Texans' stats link, Barwin had 5 PDs. That's the most on the team for a non-DB not named J.J.Watt.
LINK
Keep in mind, a lot of the PDs by the OLBs were at the LOS, batting balls down & not in coverage. I don't remember one Barwin had in coverage. I think Reed had at least one in coverage, but I also remember him batting a ball down at the LOS.

I'm good with moving Reed to ILB, I think he'd thrive in zone coverage rather than man coverage which he plays more of at OLB.
Old 07-29-2013   #126
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The Broncos were like the Texans; they used the 34 as the base D and switched to the 42 in nickel
http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/4...he-3-4-defense

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...roncos-defense
Old 07-29-2013   #127
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Between you and TK the data mining I had planned to do has been done. The bottom line appears to be that no other team's ILB set has done any better than the Texans' bunch did last year; even with Cushing out for most of the year.
So did you find the 12 by our ILBs?

4 for Dobbins
2 for Ruud
2 for Cushing

I guess Brady James & Sharpton had three between them?

I don't know if I'd put much stock in "no other team did better than we did" when 4-3 teams only have one ILB & Brian Urlacher got 7. If Nick Roach is their Will, he'd be the closest thing to the MO in a 3-4 & he got 4.

Just because the other 3-4 teams suck in coverage, doesn't mean we should take pride in being the best of the worst.
Old 07-29-2013   #128
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 299943 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just because the other 3-4 teams suck in coverage, doesn't mean we should take pride in being the best of the worst.
Let's take a step back and examine what stats mean. There is a step before throwing the pass - the QB deciding there is an opportunity, i.e. the coverage is poor enough to attempt the pass. A low number of PDs may indicate great coverage (the coverage was great and the QB went somewhere else) or crappy coverage (the coverage was poor enough for the QB to throw the ball and then the D didn't make the play) either one.
Old 07-29-2013   #129
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So did you find the 12 by our ILBs?

4 for Dobbins
2 for Ruud
2 for Cushing

I guess Brady James & Sharpton had three between them?

I don't know if I'd put much stock in "no other team did better than we did" when 4-3 teams only have one ILB & Brian Urlacher got 7. If Nick Roach is their Will, he'd be the closest thing to the MO in a 3-4 & he got 4.

I must be counting wrong... I come up with more than 12...

Barwin --- 5
Dobbins -- 4
Reed ----- 3
Cushing--- 2
James ---- 2
Rudd ----- 2
Sharpton - 2
Mercilus - 1

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #130
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I must be counting wrong... I come up with more than 12...
Barwin --- 5
Dobbins -- 4
Reed ----- 3
Cushing--- 2
James ---- 2
Rudd ----- 2
Sharpton - 2
Mercilus - 1

ILBs, not LBs. Right?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #131
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
ILBs, not LBs. Right?
Aah... riiiight...
Well there they all are. You guys sort 'em out.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #132
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Patrick Willis had 9

Navarro Bowman had 6

That's 15 right there for SF
Old 07-29-2013   #133
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Let's take a step back and examine what stats mean. There is a step before throwing the pass - the QB deciding there is an opportunity, i.e. the coverage is poor enough to attempt the pass. A low number of PDs may indicate great coverage (the coverage was great and the QB went somewhere else) or crappy coverage (the coverage was poor enough for the QB to throw the ball and then the D didn't make the play) either one.
True...
Old 07-29-2013   #134
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Like ICaK said, one stat doesn't really say much if anything.

Then there's the scheme.

And then there's the flow of games and there's game plans.

And then there's the opponents.

There are so many variables to consider; they can render stats useless.
Old 07-29-2013   #135
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Like ICaK said, one stat doesn't really say much if anything.
But... but... you were the one who started the "no one did better than the Texans with 12 PDs"
Old 07-29-2013   #136
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Patrick Willis had 9

Navarro Bowman had 6

That's 15 right there for SF
I actually looked up the Niners first and counted 15 for them, but then in the haste of looking further, I had a brain fart and forgot completely to mention it.
Old 07-29-2013   #137
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
But... but... you were the one who started the "no one did better than the Texans with 12 PDs"
I know; I was only playing around.

You know that I always said I do not believe in stats by themselves.
Old 07-29-2013   #138
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

i am actually pleased with this signing, everyone has been worried about LB depth and this guy looks pretty solid IMO. Plus we all know he can lay a hit on someone ask Schaub
Old 07-29-2013   #139
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a little sad when a Joe Mays represents a upgrade in your LB corps. Having said that, I'm glad the Texans picked him up. Hopefully, they keep looking.
Old 07-29-2013   #140
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i am actually pleased with this signing, everyone has been worried about LB depth and this guy looks pretty solid IMO. Plus we all know he can lay a hit on someone ask Schaub
I think this says a little bit about where the Texans are as an organization.

Mays was making $3M/yr last season. He signed for next to nothing. I'd have thought he would "believe" he is worth more than what we offered. Maybe even go to the 'skins to play with RG3, or New Orleans & try to win a Super Bowl.

But he picked us & it wasn't for the money.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read