Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-26-2013   #21
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 113586 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans audibles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Him giving an easy, easy call or a relax call or whatever they do to let them know a change is coming...And then him setting up the the route of the guy he wants to go to in order to exploit what he's just seen. It could be anything from being tipped off of what coverage or blitz is coming or seeing that they substituted #?? and he's covering someone he doesn't think he can hold.

You can subtly make a call like that on occasion, but sometimes you're going to have to back out...go to shotgun...move your RB...Give a call to the O-line...and then let the receivers know what you want them to do with a signal. And sometimes if there isn't a signal for it, you might have to yell out a call and they might have to come in closer to hear you and then go back and get set.
Again, my problem with that approach is it alerts the defense. The safety you were planning to exploit stops cheating because he sees (hears?) you changing the play and suspects (knows?) "he's been made" (as they say on the cop shows) and stops "cheating".

The guy (#??) who subbed in temporarily now knows that he's been targeted for exploitation. And so do his teammates so he get's a little help.

No, I like the stealth approach. If we can't see the play alteration, then maybe the defense can't either.

Personally, I think Peyton and Brady do the same thing. All that flapping and pointing is done every dang play so that the D cannot tell when they're REALLY changing the play vs. when they're just putting on a show.

So what's the diff at the end of the day. ...other than being more demonstrative to the great, unwashed masses of fandom (us).
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #22
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Here's my take on audibles: When you have a QB as experienced as Schaub, at no point should he ever be required to run a play that he thinks is going to fail before he runs it. He's the one out there running the show, so if he feels like PLAY X gives them a better chance than PLAY Z VARIANT A, B, or C, then he should run PLAY X.

JMO.
Old 07-27-2013   #23
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Audibles always a question by fans and some media.

TC, I do appreciate you asking the question.

Do you think you can ask Andre, OD &/or maybe Kubiak what they think about under thrown balls? Does it make the ball easier to field? Do they prefer under thrown balls vs leading a receiver?

Things like that.
Old 07-29-2013   #24
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13099 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Audibles always a question by fans and some media. So I asked Schaub/Myers about them yesterday. Tried to get them to explain it better to fans but they were reluctant not to share stuff that could give opponents an advantage.

If you could see their answers as oppose to just a transcript, you could see they think it is a dumb fan *issue*. Myers in particular thought I was trying to trick him with my question.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...talk-audibles/

The Texans had issues on offense last year. That Matt Schaub didn't have "enough authority" at the line I do not think is an issue.
Err. Everyone knows Schaub is not allowed to audible. C'mon, Steph!
Old 07-29-2013   #25
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Err. Everyone knows Schaub is not allowed to audible. C'mon, Steph!
I always thought Matt had the ability to change the play at the LOS. I do believe if a run plays is called say to the right he could change the play to a run to the left. But not to a pass play...

Oh well, everything is hunky dory, Super Bowl here we come. Johnny Football is gonna win a NC fur dem Aggies. He's a god. Unless he's out there partying with dem damned ole Longhorns. Or hanging out with the stars at the Laker games. He should be hangin out with us at the Dixie Chicken countin sheep, buildin bondfires/buildings etc...

I digress......
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #26
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224914 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I always thought Matt had the ability to change the play at the LOS. I do believe if a run plays is called say to the right he could change the play to a run to the left. But not to a pass play...
Despite every Texan assertion to the contrary.
Old 07-29-2013   #27
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
So what's the diff at the end of the day. ...other than being more demonstrative to the great, unwashed masses of fandom (us).
What I'm saying is what you're saying makes 0 sense.....to me at least...

You think the defense doesn't know when calls are being made?

More subtle to you doesn't mean more subtle to the players on the field.

You're assuming a lot. Nowhere has any player or coach ever said "we call audibles, but we just try to do it stealthily as to not alert the defense"...They won't say that because it doesn't make any functional sense.

I don't understand what is wrong with saying Matt calls audibles, but not as freely or as often as some other QB's may call them. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Like Meyers said, the offense is designed so that they don't have to.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #28
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We struggle with the 2 minute drill.
I don't even know if that's true, but if it is, maybe it's because we don't have a lot of practice running a fast paced offense where the QB thinks independently on the fly.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #29
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 113586 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
What I'm saying is what you're saying makes 0 sense.....to me at least...

You think the defense doesn't know when calls are being made?

More subtle to you doesn't mean more subtle to the players on the field.

You're assuming a lot. Nowhere has any player or coach ever said "we call audibles, but we just try to do it stealthily as to not alert the defense"...They won't say that because it doesn't make any functional sense.

I don't understand what is wrong with saying Matt calls audibles, but not as freely or as often as some other QB's may call them. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Like Meyers said, the offense is designed so that they don't have to.
It is quite possible that if done right, the defense has no clue that you've decided to run left rather than right or go to a slant pass as opposed to a stretch run. The code could be in the signals; it could be as simple as "if I start the count with 'red' its a pass; if I start with 'green' its a run... and so forth.

For example, the call in the huddle could have been "stretch run left" but Matt gets to the line, sees something to exploit and says "Red! blah, blah, blah"... The 'Red' call tells all our guys that he's changed the play to a pass and the rest of the blah, blah, blah is whatever code is necessary to alert the primary receiver he's now hot and is expected to run a slant or Go or Out or whatever...

The play just got completely re-done with no formation shifting or Peyton-esque arm-waiving or Tom Brady pointing or anything. And yeah, it's totally possible the defense doesn't know the play has been changed.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read