Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2013   #101
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans showing interest in ILB Joe Mays (UPDATE) signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Until I see some on the field results I'm very ehhhhhhhh on this signing. I just don't see what he brings to the team that Dobbins doesn't already provide. He's a 2 down ILB.
Anyone playing next to Cush will be a two down player, so I'm not sure what the knock is...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #102
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the move! Im assuming Cush will be more of a coverage ILB now since Mays mainly rushes (from what I remember) someone correct me if I'm wrong
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #103
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Anyone playing next to Cush will be a two down player, so I'm not sure what the knock is...
That's all I expect from him. Sharpton was supposed to be good enough in coverage to give Wade more options when going to nickel and dime. But, I've yet to see it, considering he hasn't been able to stay on the field. To be honest, I never thought he was all that when he was on the field. I'm not a coach, nor do I pretend to be one. Which may be the reason I don't see what the coaches see in the guy.
Old 07-29-2013   #104
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264425 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Also, isn't Cushing supposed to be playing more at the MO for Wade?
Wade moved Cushing to MO when we had Brady James. Without Brady James I assume they'll be moving Cushing back to MIKE....

However, Sharpton is a MIKE. Maybe they'll leave Cushing at MO.... But I think it makes more sense to move Cushing.
Old 07-29-2013   #105
roooshi
#Demaryius2HOU

Rep Power: 0 roooshi is a quality contributor and well respectedroooshi is a quality contributor and well respectedroooshi is a quality contributor and well respectedroooshi is a quality contributor and well respectedroooshi is a quality contributor and well respectedroooshi is a quality contributor and well respectedroooshi is a quality contributor and well respectedroooshi is a quality contributor and well respectedroooshi is a quality contributor and well respectedroooshi is a quality contributor and well respectedroooshi is a quality contributor and well respected

http://youtu.be/Mr-ELKhmWj8
roooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #106
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264425 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
IMO, we need an ILB that gives us the versatility to do more coverage stuff, incase we're in our base set & two tightends release into routes. I'd also like a guy who's as good as Cushing in zone coverages to help protect the inside routes & force QBs to make tough throws by getting into passing lanes (by watching the QB's eyse) forcing him to have to get the ball up & over the LB, but drop it in front of the safeties.

As it is now, too many QBs like Fitzgerald, Tebow, Sanchez look good against us (when our pass rush isn't getting there) because they can make easy throws, on a rope with little fear that the ball will be tipped.

Watch other teams play, or watch the defense of other teams when we play them, their LBs are more active than ours are. I'll look, but I would bet our LBs are near the bottom of the league in passes defensed.
Old 07-29-2013   #107
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 238286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by roooshi View Post
http://reactiongifs.com/?p=4281

ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #108
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans ILBs had 12 PDs; the Broncos 5

The Steelers and the Cards both had 7.

The Jets had 3, the Chargers had 8.

The Packers 4, the Ravens 8, Redskins 11, Cowboys 6

These are the 3-4 teams that I had looked at so far.

Last edited by 76Texan; 07-29-2013 at 04:46 PM.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #109
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 66263 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by roooshi View Post
wow

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #110
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 238286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Source please?
It's not that I doubt your info, it's that I'd like to know which guys did what. So I need the raw data.
Old 07-29-2013   #111
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If you are going to post that picture, you have to show what they were looking at. Right?
Old 07-29-2013   #112
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If you are going to post that picture, you have to show what they were looking at. Right?
Let's just pretend they were looking at that Joe Mays hit and let it go at that.
Old 07-29-2013   #113
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Yeah.... I don't think Mays improves our team in this dept.

I did a quick look at ESPN Stats. Looks like Dobbins got 4 PDs, Reed got 3 PDs, Brian Cushing got 2, & Ruud got 2 PDs

I may have missed it, but I'm sure Barwin got at least two as well.. though his & Reed's would include batting balls down at the LOS, which is different as it says nothing about their ability in coverage.

If you click on my link, you'll see where the LBs start showing up. There are a few on page 2, but you start to see a lot of them here on page 3, with 7 PDs. Those are the guys working that middle level, making it difficult for QBs... Ryan Kerrigan, Luke Kuechly, Akeem Ayers, Bryan Urlacher, D'Qwell Jackson, Paul Posluszny, & Curtis Lofton. Had Cushing played all year, he probably would have had 11.

At the same time, had Dobbins been used more in pass defense, he most likely would have had more than 4, Ruud as well.

So.... looks like Wade has the players, or has had the players to do what I'm looking for, he just chooses not to.... & he picks up players that are basically carbon copies of one another... Mays looks like Sharpton to me.

& that's ok. I'll stop looking for that coverage LB just like I stopped looking for that space eating NT a long time ago.
Old 07-29-2013   #114
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Didn't the Broncos run a 43 last year?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #115
msbbc833
Veteran

Rep Power: 577 msbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respected

Broncos fans are unanimously happy to see him gone. Maybe he will be their version of Jacoby and prove them wrong
msbbc833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #116
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Jets had 3, the Chargers had 8.

The Packers 4, the Ravens 8, Redskins 11, Cowboys 6

These are the 3-4 teams that I had looked at so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Source please?
It's not that I doubt your info, it's that I'd like to know which guys did what. So I need the raw data.
I use Advanced NFL Stats for the Data and Wiki for players' positions.

Almost get to the end, and no team had more PDs than the Texans.
Old 07-29-2013   #117
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Didn't the Broncos run a 43 last year?
The Broncos were like the Texans; they used the 34 as the base D and switched to the 42 in nickel
Old 07-29-2013   #118
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Yeah.... I don't think Mays improves our team in this dept.

I did a quick look at ESPN Stats. Looks like Dobbins got 4 PDs, Reed got 3 PDs, Brian Cushing got 2, & Ruud got 2 PDs

I may have missed it, but I'm sure Barwin got at least two as well.. though his & Reed's would include batting balls down at the LOS, which is different as it says nothing about their ability in coverage.
Per the ESPN Texans' stats link, Barwin had 5 PDs. That's the most on the team for a non-DB not named J.J.Watt.
LINK

If I were Wade, I might just turn Mays loose to demolish the opposing QB and leave Cush in pass coverage.
Old 07-29-2013   #119
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The Colts had 9, and the Chiefs 4.

That's it.
In conclusion, the Texans ILB corp led the league in PD last year.
Old 07-29-2013   #120
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
I use Advanced NFL Stats for the Data and Wiki for players' positions.

Almost get to the end, and no team had more PDs than the Texans.
Between you and TK the data mining I had planned to do has been done. The bottom line appears to be that no other team's ILB set has done any better than the Texans' bunch did last year; even with Cushing out for most of the year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read