Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-27-2013   #1
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "Eagles Have A Very Talented Player In Connor Barwin"

For years the Eagles have had major problems trying to contain opposing tight ends. I think they’ll be able to rid themselves of that problem going forward because of the size and coverage ability of newly acquired veteran outside linebacker Connor Barwin. Barwin has all the ingredients needed to defend a tight end. He’s got great size at 6’4″ 264 pounds with surprising catchup speed and the ability to change of direction very quickly.
The former Houston Texan also has the long arms which are needed to get a good jam on the tight end. I think this is one of the most important keys to limiting the effectiveness of the tight end. You’ve got to make it difficult for them to get off the line and into their routes. He’s shown me that he can hold up the tight ends with his jam.
http://gcobb.com/2013/07/26/eagles-h...connor-barwin/
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014   #2
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Eagles Have A Very Talented Player In Connor Barwin"

After last nights game vs Carolina when Connor got 3.5 sacks, Barwin is now tied for second in league sack rankings with a total of 10.5.
Old 11-11-2014   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The Eagles are doing some great things with castoffs from other teams.

I did not think Mark Sanchez had it in him anymore.

As for Barwin, I guess Wade's system did not utilize him properly. We sure could use him on our d-line right now.
Old 11-11-2014   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
As for Barwin, I guess Wade's system did not utilize him properly. We sure could use him on our d-line right now.
He'd sure be a good fit for us now, imo. Congrats to him and the Eagles for getting the most out of him.
Old 11-11-2014   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The Eagles are doing some great things with castoffs from other teams.

I did not think Mark Sanchez had it in him anymore.

Really ! We've got 2 pass-rushers (Mercilus & Clowney), but neither knows anything about covering the TE while Reed does but can't effectively rush from the edge, while Connor can do it all including very effectivley setting the edge on rush defense. But as I recall, the Texans were really kinda apathetic about giving Connor a solid offer.
Old 11-11-2014   #6
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68452 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Really ! We've got 2 pass-rushers (Mercilus & Clowney), but neither knows anything about covering the TE while Reed does but can't effectively rush from the edge, while Connor can do it all including very effectivley setting the edge on rush defense. But as I recall, the Texans were really kinda apathetic about giving Connor a solid offer.
I'm starting to see this as a pattern. I wonder if he would have stayed here for a little less.

I wonder how different the Texans would have looked with Sanchez and Barwin at the beginning of the season.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's not forget most folks around wanted Barwin gone or kept only on a cheap deal.

Oh luck, a poll turns useful. 92 responses, 3 thought he was worth paying what the Eagles gave him - Link

The most popular response, 33 of 92, was half as much.
Old 11-11-2014   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Let's not forget most folks around wanted Barwin gone or kept only on a cheap deal.

Oh luck, a poll turns useful. 92 responses, 3 thought he was worth paying what the Eagles gave him - Link

Yeah, as I recall I didn't vote in that one. I think it was because my preferred choice "Pay him even more than that because he's going to be tied for the league lead in sacks in Philadelphia by 2014" wasn't included.

Yeah, that's it.
Old 11-11-2014   #9
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I won't go so far as to say that Barwins contract year was abysmal, but it was weak, with only 3 or 4 sacks as I recall (coming off of a double-digit total from the previous year) and he was a guy trading on his pass-rushing skills more than anything in free agency. And the Eagles didn't give Barwin a strong deal as it was very much incentive-based with minimal guaranteed money. It was kinda in line with what many of us suggested as I recall ?
Old 11-11-2014   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Bill Davis has done a good job turning a pretty pedestrian 2013 Barwin into a productive 2014 one.
Old 11-11-2014   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin's contract had $8 mil guaranteed. Not sure what you are calling incentive based. The money is in base salaries.
Old 11-11-2014   #12
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

His last year here sucked huge. I hate that we make a def/off scheme and hope the players adapt instead of looking at personnel THEN developing a style that's right for them.
Old 11-11-2014   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I never cared when Barwin left. D-Ryans, on the other hand, irked me a bit. He was getting much better towards the end of the 2011 season.

It normally doesn't bother me when players come and go, but that one did a little for some reason.
Old 11-11-2014   #14
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131191 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We thought we were golden with Watt, Mercilus, and Reed. Could you blame us?
Old 11-11-2014   #15
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137288 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I never cared when Barwin left. D-Ryans, on the other hand, irked me a bit. He was getting much better towards the end of the 2011 season.

It normally doesn't bother me when players come and go, but that one did a little for some reason.
I didn't know what to make out of our OLB's under Wade other than he short time he had Mario.

None of them did much for me. I thought both Reed and Barwin were better suited for over the TE and I didn't feel comfortable with Merciless as the premiere edge rusher on the team.

If this team didn't have JJ Watt we all know the team would be much worse off....

But dang...that defensive front might be the worst in football...
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin had one great year here that was a statistical anomaly, as I recall most of his sacks came from being unblocked. He was used poorly in our scheme
Old 11-11-2014   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

I was going to say the same thing (great minds!).

I was indifferent about Barwin, but we knew what we had with DeMeco Ryans. And he's fulfilled all of our expectations and more in Philly.

I know you can't keep them all, but DeMeco was one of those players that I always thought you keep and figure out a way to make it happen.
Old 11-11-2014   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If we had Connor on our team & the Eagles had gotten Reed instead, Reed would have had 3.5 sacks last night. Connor Barwin is not a corner stone, or even a building block. He's good to have around while you're waiting for your young guys to develop.

He's got all the talent, he's very athletic, but he's got poor instincts & he's soft.
Old 11-12-2014   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

vindication, but I'm happy for him never the less.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014   #20
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If we had Connor on our team & the Eagles had gotten Reed instead, Reed would have had 3.5 sacks last night. Connor Barwin is not a corner stone, or even a building block. He's good to have around while you're waiting for your young guys to develop.

He's got all the talent, he's very athletic, but he's got poor instincts & he's soft.
He's got other interests outside of work that I always felt like he was spending more time on than being a great football player.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read