Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who wins division?
Houston Texans 129 88.36%
Indy Colts 14 9.59%
Nashville Titans 0 0%
Jacksonville Jaguars 3 2.05%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2013   #41
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who wins division?

I picked the Colts off just after the way the offense took a nosedive down the stretch and the lack of pass rush from anyone other than Watt. The schedule is much harder this year and the offense needs to really step its game back up this year to give me some confidence in this team again.

It was not good to see us having to throw on 3 and short late last year.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #42
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Interesting... everything that can go wrong does.

I think we won 12 games last season because Kubiak wouldn't let the mistakes get away & snowball. But when the guys needed to play loose, when they needed to play fast... they couldn't & we got our butts handed to us vs GB & New England.

I think he lets it all hang out in 2013, & we break all kinds of total offense ratings, Andre, Arian, Matt are all at the top of their respective charts..... but we can't score.

We can't score & we can't stop the other team from scoring. We're back to 2010. We'll win 4 games outright. another 3 on a last minute "what the Hey, heay, hail Mary"

We lose another 7 games by one stinking play, or on a last minute interception, or we fail to convert a 4th down as time runs out, or we give up a last minute goal line stand..... the Texans mental toughness is once again in question & everyone is looking at the guy on the sideline with the hair.

Dec 29th, noon. The Texans square off on the road with the Tennessee Titans. They win this game, they win the division at 9-7, they go into the play-offs as the 4th seed. They lose, they go home.

Then it clicks. Schaub turns into the next Kurt Warner, Andre is Andre, Arian becomes a megastar, Jj Watt reminds everyone he is the best defensive player in the league, Jjo Kj, Reed, Manning, Swearinger, & McCain declare a no fly zone wherever they happen to be.... Kj & Swearinger are literally chopping heads, punishing anyone foolish enough to run anything deeper than 5 yard route.

We tear through the play offs. A juggernaut, blowing teams out 40 to 12 and the like. We win the Super Bowl. & we tear through the NFL the following 2 seasons
Oh waiter...

...and make mine a double.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #43
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 110481 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course, I went with the Texans. I think the Colts will give them a run for their money though.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #44
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like I am one of the three that picked the COlts.

Although it was very tough and I went back and forth on it, and today I sort of think the Texans win it. It was that close for me honestly.

I picked the COlts though because of Luck. I had that much confidence in him coming into the league and he exceeded expectations. I feel like he is one of those QB's that can make his team over achieve and "believe" where they can sneak out a few extra wins on confidence as long as they aren't getting blown out.

The Texans are better all around on paper. However, the Colts are much better at the main position which is the QB position. I like Schaub and defended him a lot last season when a lot of people went way overboard in criticizing him where they acted like he was pure trash. But by the end of the season, Schaub's late season plunge simply could not be ignored. I still think that Schaub could have a pretty good season, but he simply won't ever be that QB that makes huge plays in big games consistently going forward in my eyes while Luck will. And that goes a long way.

And then you have the Kubiak factor where he plays not to lose so much and Gary has shown far to many times that his philosophy will cost this team games, and Gary won't learn from it. He is who he is, and I've accepted that. But it will take a super great QB to over come Gary's inefficiencies, and Schaub simply is not that guy. I could be wrong, and I certainly hope so, but it will take our defense being 2001 Baltimore Ravens like to get a ring with Schaub and Kubes in my opinion based off of what I've seen. I do believe in WATT though!!! Maybe Watt can bring it home.

Right now I'll switch back to the Texans for the division, but I might change it again tomorrow or in a few weeks. It's simply that close of a call.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #45
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Uhmm...I BUT, Linda Evans' port nipp is about to put an ear out! Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #46
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Oh waiter...

...and make mine a double.
...and I'll have a DOUBLE, double. Rock-n-roll!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #47
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Looks like I am one of the three that picked the COlts.

Although it was very tough and I went back and forth on it, and today I sort of think the Texans win it. It was that close for me honestly.

I picked the COlts though because of Luck. I had that much confidence in him coming into the league and he exceeded expectations. I feel like he is one of those QB's that can make his team over achieve and "believe" where they can sneak out a few extra wins on confidence as long as they aren't getting blown out.

The Texans are better all around on paper. However, the Colts are much better at the main position which is the QB position. I like Schaub and defended him a lot last season when a lot of people went way overboard in criticizing him where they acted like he was pure trash. But by the end of the season, Schaub's late season plunge simply could not be ignored. I still think that Schaub could have a pretty good season, but he simply won't ever be that QB that makes huge plays in big games consistently going forward in my eyes while Luck will. And that goes a long way.
You have to remember that Schaub's hands were tied. Otherwise he'd have been much more effective.
Quote:
And then you have the Kubiak factor where he plays not to lose so much and Gary has shown far to many times that his philosophy will cost this team games, and Gary won't learn from it. He is who he is, and I've accepted that. But it will take a super great QB to over come Gary's inefficiencies, and Schaub simply is not that guy. I could be wrong, and I certainly hope so, but it will take our defense being 2001 Baltimore Ravens like to get a ring with Schaub and Kubes in my opinion based off of what I've seen. I do believe in WATT though!!! Maybe Watt can bring it home.
Even a super great QB couldn't save the team if he wasn't allowed to adjust to the defense.
Quote:
Right now I'll switch back to the Texans for the division, but I might change it again tomorrow or in a few weeks. It's simply that close of a call.
Head coach is undoubtedly the most important position on the team. Ever noticed how the Jaguars collapsed after they got rid of Jack del Rio?
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I picked the COlts though because of Luck. I had that much confidence in him coming into the league and he exceeded expectations.

The Texans are better all around on paper. However, the Colts are much better at the main position which is the QB position.
It's interesting that Luck exceeded expectations, Schaub played below expectation, yet at the end of the day they turned in similar numbers.
Old 07-25-2013   #49
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164570 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get all the hype for the Colts. I mean every site I hit they talk about how good the Colts are and seem to just ignore the abysmal stats from last year. Luck almost got killed and they didn't do much to strengthen the O line. Do I need to even mention the defense?? They played a last place schedule last year with a TON of emotion (rightfully so) from Paganos issues.

I think they come back to earth this year.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #50
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's interesting that Luck exceeded expectations, Schaub played below expectation, yet at the end of the day they turned in similar numbers.
TK...Their numbers are about as similar as the light bulb and the lightning bug.

Matt Schaub 64% completion
Andrew Luck 54% completion

Matt Schaub 90.7 QB rating
Andrew Luck 76.5 QB rating

The only things that are similar is that they threw for roughly the same amount of TDs and yards, but Schaub was better at doing it. Luck can run, and Schaub can't, sure, but Luck doesn't have the 2nd best RB in the league, either.

I don't see that they are that similar. Give me Nick Foles in a Texans uni and then we can talk similarities as both players grow into their own.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
TK...Their numbers are about as similar as the light bulb and the lightning bug.

Matt Schaub 64% completion
Andrew Luck 54% completion

Matt Schaub 90.7 QB rating
Andrew Luck 76.5 QB rating
So in a bad year, Schaub was still better than Luck?

I stand corrected.
Old 07-25-2013   #52
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So in a bad year, Schaub was still better than Luck?

I stand corrected.
Yes in a bad year a 31 year old QB was better than a 22 year old rookie. You got it. I stand more interested in 2013.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Yes in a bad year a 31 year old QB was better than a 22 year old rookie. You got it. I stand more interested in 2013.
That doesn't concern you?

I'd be worried if a 31 year old "never was" played like crap & still played better than the next wunderkind.... but that's just me.
Old 07-29-2013   #54
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

Bill,

There isn't enough teal kool aid, to pick the Jags to win the division this year! LOL Don't write off the Jags off as no tallent...it's a completely new team/coaching staff. QB is the issue, as most NFL teams have that problem. MJD is looking great! Surprised me! This is his contract year, so look out. The WR corps is the best I've seen in 10 years. I'll be happy with a 6-10 record this season. No expectations, just be competitve and get stronger this year. How's Greg Jones been doing in camp? He is so good...you guys are going to be dangerous in the run game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
If y'all didn't answer the Texans, y'all are jacked up!!!

Although, the OP does bring up an interesting point about the Colts getting some, "somewhat calls"...

BTW, who in the EFF voted for the Jags?? I haven't seen Mootini on the boards for a while...

For those of you newer members, "Mootini" is a great contributor to TexansTalk that happens to be a Jags fan.

TREAT HIM WITH RESPECT!!!

*EDIT*
Treat him with respect, right up until becomes an ass!!
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #55
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

The Colts will take a step back this year, no cream puff schedule too!
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013   #56
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I don't get all the hype for the Colts. I mean every site I hit they talk about how good the Colts are and seem to just ignore the abysmal stats from last year. Luck almost got killed and they didn't do much to strengthen the O line. Do I need to even mention the defense?? They played a last place schedule last year with a TON of emotion (rightfully so) from Paganos issues.

I think they come back to earth this year.
Yeah. People are crazy.
Old 07-30-2013   #57
BullBlitz
Section 331

Quote:
That doesn't concern you?

I'd be worried if a 31 year old "never was" played like crap & still played better than the next wunderkind.... but that's just me.
Agree.
Old 07-30-2013   #58
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't the ponies win 8 or 9 'close' games last year? Not all of that is skill I would reckon. Definitely not the norm. Im still not sold on that defense either.
Old 07-30-2013   #59
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Didn't the ponies win 8 or 9 'close' games last year? Not all of that is skill I would reckon. Definitely not the norm. Im still not sold on that defense either.
7 of their 11 victories were by 6 points or less. 9 of their 11 victories were by 7 points or less. They won by an average of just over 6 points.

3 of their 5 losses were by 20 points or more. They only had 1 loss by fewer than 10 points and that was a 5 point loss to the Jaguars. They lost by an average of 19.6 ponts.

On the other hand, 5 of our 12 victories were by less than 10 points.We won by an average of just over 13 points.

All of our losses were over 10 points and we lost by an average of 19.7 points.

So one strange thing we had in common with the Colts was when we lost, we usually lost big-time. But we generally won by a lot more points.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #60
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 6383 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Wont even be close.
You said in '82 you could throw a ball 1/4 of a mile?? Obviously, in '82 that wasn't as far as it is now

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read