Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-25-2013   #41
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans whistling past the graveyard at Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I don't know why not, it would put your team at 3rd best in the league in kickoff coverage.
Coaches would go further and would love to have a kicker who could kick it through the end zone every time and not give returners a chance at all.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #42
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Coaches would go further and would love to have a kicker who could kick it through the end zone every time and not give returners a chance at all.
I think it might be worth it to use a roster spot for a kick-off-er who could give you 100% touchbacks.

It would reduce the injuries on kickoffs after teams realized it was auto-touchback ..... it would reduce the need for a special teams monster tackler spot on the roster (but not for a blocker when we receive the kick) ..... and it puts you at the top of the league. I'd do it.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #43
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

My problem is this; what if he's re-injured or strains something else? The fact that we never went out and got another K is kinda disturbing, IMO. How can the coaching staff trust in something they've never seen?
Old 07-25-2013   #44
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
My problem is this; what if he's re-injured or strains something else? The fact that we never went out and got another K is kinda disturbing, IMO. How can the coaching staff trust in something they've never seen?
Very disturbing!

Wake up people. Does anyone really believe that Shane Graham was brought in by the Texans to be an HONEST competition for Bullock? He was just THERE for the SHOW. Bullock was THE CHOSEN ONE right from the pick. But Bullock wasn't really showing up Graham in any way, in fact there were times that Graham looked better............then, when Bullock suffered his untimely injury, the Texans suddenly found themselves "stuck" with someone they never wanted or expected.........Graham. This year, if they can help it, they don't want anyone getting in the way of "their" boy..........hence no challenger to"accidentally" mess with their plans........and even if Bullock comes in last in the "competition" this year, he will still be first on the Texans roster..........INGENIOUS!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I don't know why not, it would put your team at 3rd best in the league in kickoff coverage.
That just means a lot of teams are doing it wrong.

The game is changing & as soon as we start seeing kickers who can get some air under the ball & drop it in the 5, the league will start looking for more of them.
Old 07-25-2013   #46
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

The game is changing & as soon as we start seeing kickers who can get some air under the ball & drop it in the 5, the league will start looking for more of them.
You're wrong
Old 07-25-2013   #47
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't know if you realize how hard that is.

To kick the ball that high off of a kicking tee and be able to pin a team inside the 5 would require skill that this league has never seen.

When was the last time you saw someone fair catch a normal kick-off? Not one of those short pooches...but a kick off that went past the twenty?

If there is a kicker that can make teams fair catch inside their own ten yard line, they'd be guaranteed a roster spot even if they couldn't do anything else. Even if they couldn't kick extra points.

Do you realize how valuable that would be?

I understand the idea you have, but kickers aren't able to kick the ball that high and that far in order to give the return team enough time to get down there to be pinned inside the 5.

I agree with it in principal, but I don't think it's a realistic expectation.

I mean...I like the high and deep (but not too deep) approach with a strong legged kicker...But you are realistically still looking at a stop around the 15-20..maybe around the 11 or 12 if you are lucky/that good. And if a guy is able to run with it and doesn't have to call a fair catch, there's always the chance it could go much farther.

Having said all that, if I'm a coach I'd rather kick it out of the EZ and have opposing teams start on the 20 every time and not even risk having them return it.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't know if you realize how hard that is.

To kick the ball that high off of a kicking tee and be able to pin a team inside the 5 would require skill that this league has never seen.
Yeah..... I'm not expecting anyone to pin anyone inside the 5. I want a kicker who can get the ball so high, that if it drops inside the 5, my coverage team is already crossing the 20. If they do their job right from there, they should be able pin the returner short of the 20.

He doesn't even have to drop it inside the 5..... 5 yards into the endzone would be fine. But my coverage team has to be at the 20, or at the very least crossing the 25 when it's fielded. I want that guy to come out of the endzone, because I want to stop him before the 20.

I want him to risk fumbling the ball.

If our Special Teams were as bad as they were last year, absolutely I want to kick it out the back of the endzone every time.
Old 07-25-2013   #49
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah..... I'm not expecting anyone to pin anyone inside the 5. I want a kicker who can get the ball so high, that if it drops inside the 5, my coverage team is already crossing the 20. If they do their job right from there, they should be able pin the returner short of the 20.

He doesn't even have to drop it inside the 5..... 5 yards into the endzone would be fine. But my coverage team has to be at the 20, or at the very least crossing the 25 when it's fielded. I want that guy to come out of the endzone, because I want to stop him before the 20.

If our Special Teams were as bad as they were last year, absolutely I want to kick it out the back of the endzone every time.
Gotcha....That makes sense to me...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013   #50
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That would indeed be an "ideal" combination of kicker and coverage team. I would then have to point out that the boomer, high hanging kicker you speak of is probably the same type of kicker that would have the comparable power to at will when needed kick the ball with less height, but greater distance (ala out of the EZ).
Old 07-27-2013   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
That would indeed be an "ideal" combination of kicker and coverage team. I would then have to point out that the boomer, high hanging kicker you speak of is probably the same type of kicker that would have the comparable power to at will when needed kick the ball with less height, but greater distance (ala out of the EZ).
Allz I said, was that I don't get the point of kicking touchbacks all the time.
Old 07-27-2013   #52
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Allz I said, was that I don't get the point of kicking touchbacks all the time.
Oh that's an easy one. if you have a kicker that can boot it thru the end zone each and every time, that removes the possibility of long run backs, injuries, penalties, etc.... all those variables that make kickoffs interesting for the fans but drive coaches nuts.

Plus, your defense knows where it's starting and has a decent idea (if you have a capable D-coordinator) of what plays the opposing offense is going to run. Most teams go run-first - or dink & dunk if they pass at all - in the shadow of their own goalposts. So that should make things easier for the defense.

I like where your head is at - and trust me, I'd LUUUV to see it pulled off - but the truth is it takes a perfect storm for your scenario to work as planned.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I like where your head is at - and trust me, I'd LUUUV to see it pulled off - but the truth is it takes a perfect storm for your scenario to work as planned.
It's coming.
Old 07-27-2013   #54
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 6383 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
Our Texans have some issues going into training camp next week. Inside LB, right side of OL, QB, Nose Tackle, WR depth, Safety... we have more questions than answers at this point.

Our biggest concern however may be an area that isn't really being discussed.... Place Kicker. Randy Bullock is the lone PK on the roster and given his limited reps last preseason he is a huge question mark. He was somewhat shaky on field goals and showed a weak leg on kickoffs. Obviously this is an extremely important position that often wins or loses games for a team, especially one involved in a lot of close games like the Texans given their ultra-conservative play with a lead.

With zero competition on the roster it seems like the organization is content to just whistle past the graveyard on this one and hope for the best which seems like a huge risk. What say you???
I think the team upgraded everywhere. No team is without concerns, nor will any ever be....it is designed to be this way.....that is what parity means. I think we have a good med staff and good conditioning staff, and good nutrition people. Today I watched all these teams suffering injuries and I'm glad we've got the people we have in place to help with that and I'm glad our players have paid appropriate attention to their health coming into camp. I pray that their work provides a healthy preseason and full season/playoffs. I think the vision of the Texans organization to try to have good people in positions all over the team instead of one or two stars we totally rely on is going to help with that. I wouldn't want to be the New England patriots right now and have to pray that nothing happens to Tom Brady.
Old 07-29-2013   #55
jtexas
Veteran

Rep Power: 3408 jtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respected

The only issue that concerns me will be their ability to cut him loose if he struggles. Outside of that, i assume our offense will be alittle more agressive and not settling for 3 as much.
jtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013   #56
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

I don't think that this piece has has been posted (excuse if so). It reviews/compares a long list of relatively contemporary kickers and their performance stats in their rookie year (data courtesy Pro-Football-Reference.com.). Pretty interesting.

Will Young Randy Bullock Cost The Houston Texans Any Games?
Old 08-01-2013   #57
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

If Bullock doesn't work out, we can always sign the loser of the kick-off between David Akers -- who is healthy now -- and...

Kickalicious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDwbjHV8jLo
Old 08-01-2013   #58
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Bullock doesn't work out, we can always sign the loser of the kick-off between David Akers -- who is healthy now -- and...

Kickalicious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDwbjHV8jLo
Surely skills like that should get you at least a tryout with someone, right?
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #59
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Surely skills like that should get you at least a tryout with someone, right?
Akers vs. Kickalicious for Lions job.
Old 08-01-2013   #60
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Akers vs. Kickalicious for Lions job.
I have read that the YouTube guy can't kick fast enough to not get it blocked a significant amount of times in the Lions camp.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read