Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you grade the first selection in the first round?
A 23 31.94%
B 31 43.06%
C 9 12.50%
D 2 2.78%
F 7 9.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2013   #81
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/1 Brennan Williams

I'm going to have to agree with Rey. If he isn't on the field within the first week or so of camp, I think he'll be IR'd. Kubiak tends to stash a player or two on IR every year and BW's presently a perfect candidate.
Old 07-24-2013   #82
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
He will be a rookie that will have missed the most part of the offseason/preseason..........Honestly, how valuable can he be even if he returns to this team later this season since he can't practice with the team during preseason and/or season PUP for whatever reason?
I wouldn't look for him to sniff a chance to play until the last third of the season at the earliest, and then only in rotation. A virtual loss of most of the season.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #83
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate to say it.....but we need Winston in a major way right now. IMO, Newton and Harris are not the answer. Is Quess, the 6th rounder, the answer? Doubt any time soon
Old 07-24-2013   #84
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm going to have to agree with Rey. If he isn't on the field within the first week or so of camp, I think he'll be IR'd. Kubiak tends to stash a player or two on IR every year and BW's presently a perfect candidate.
Maybe, But RT is such a big question mark for the Texans and they have more invested in Williams than any other RT prospect on their roster at this time. Kubiak might be extraordinarily patient and deliberate with him given how tenuous the Texans current DC is at RT ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #85
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 52734 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He missed minicamp......

His injury was again greater than what they initially assessed that it was........he required surgery......

He will be a rookie that will have missed the most part of the offseason/preseason..........Honestly, how valuable can he be even if he returns to this team later this season since he can't practice with the team during preseason and/or season PUP for whatever reason?
Do we have an idea of the date or week that surgery occurred? What's the timeframe for recovery?

The second roster cut is August 31st. After that, he's IR'd. Before that date, he misses most of camp, and is IR'd anyway.

How the hell does someone get himself IR'd on the first day of OTA's?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #86
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Do we have an idea of the date or week that surgery occurred? What's the timeframe for recovery?

The second roster cut is August 31st. After that, he's IR'd. Before that date, he misses most of camp, and is IR'd anyway.

How the hell does someone get himself IR'd on the first day of OTA's?
His surgery occurred the end of the first week of June. IDEALLY he could be released to practice (non-contact) ~ beginning to mid August.........that's if he were able to maintain a semblance of conditioning to that point. It is obvious to all reporting, that at already at ~7 weeks post op he is nowhere close to appearing in shape. Conditioning for a big man is not an overnight, or one or two week endeavor. Even if he is released to "practice" one to two weeks prior to the beginning of the season, again I ask how much can he make up for essentially no previous experience in an unforgiving synchronous ZBS offensive line? Can you really afford to lose a roster spot just hoping that you might get "some" contribution...............from a rookie, as opposed to a vet who knows how to best handle such a situation. Even for a vet, it would be a challenge.........for a rookie who has little "clue" from the very beginning, this would more likely to be an insurmountable task.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #87
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
His surgery occurred the end of the first week of June. IDEALLY he could be released to practice (non-contact) ~ beginning to mid August.........that's if he were able to maintain a semblance of conditioning to that point. It is obvious to all reporting, that at already at ~7 weeks post op he is nowhere close to appearing in shape. Conditioning for a big man is not an overnight, or one or two week endeavor. Even if he is released to "practice" one to two weeks prior to the beginning of the season, again I ask how much can he make up for essentially no previous experience in an unforgiving synchronous ZBS offensive line? Can you really afford to lose a roster spot just hoping that you might get "some" contribution...............from a rookie, as opposed to a vet who knows how to best handle such a situation. Even for a vet, it would be a challenge.........for a rookie who has little "clue" from the very beginning, this would more likely to be an insurmountable task.
Well, he did play in the ZBS at North Carolina. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #88
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
I hate to say it.....but we need Winston in a major way right now. IMO, Newton and Harris are not the answer. Is Quess, the 6th rounder, the answer? Doubt any time soon
Well, I guess we didn't want him at all. Signed with the Cards for close to vet minimum.
Old 07-25-2013   #89
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, I guess we didn't want him at all. Signed with the Cards for close to vet minimum.
He said the Texans never showed any interest in bringing him in.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #90
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Good
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #91
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
I was never really high on him either, but it's hard getting fired up about what we currently have at RT.
Old 07-25-2013   #92
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I think with the guys we have a competent starter will be found. I'm not all that concerned about the RT position tbh.
Old 07-25-2013   #93
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was never really high on him either, but it's hard getting fired up about what we currently have at RT.
Agreed, although I think there might be some potential upside to Newton, I just hope 2013 is better than 2012 as far as RT goes. Fortunately that's not setting the bar particularly high.

As far as Winston goes, while I never thought the Texans would be where he ended up, I did think he'd get more interest (and more money) than he ended up getting. I didn't think he'd be on the FA market very long - obviously that was way wrong.
Old 07-25-2013   #94
Rey
Hall of Fame

I think folks are way too hard on Newton. Yeah he had some rough moments, but the dude was not out there just getting pwned left and right. For his first year starting he was actually ok. Not as good as you'd want from the position, but the dude didn't completely suck.

I'm more worried about his injury recovery than I am about his actual ability.

And I also really like Quess for RT. I'm not sure if he's ready this year, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked.
Old 07-25-2013   #95
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think folks are way too hard on Newton. Yeah he had some rough moments, but the dude was not out there just getting pwned left and right. For his first year starting he was actually ok. Not as good as you'd want from the position, but the dude didn't completely suck.

I'm more worried about his injury recovery than I am about his actual ability.

And I also really like Quess for RT. I'm not sure if he's ready this year, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked.
The typical history of a patella tendon tear/rupture is that there is usually a long-standing chronic inflammation of the tendon (tendonitis). Without adequate conservative treatment which most importantly involves adequate REST from the repetitive traumatic movements (overuse syndrome) that caused it to begin with, the tendon eventually weakens to the point that it tears/ruptures.

I go through this explanation just to say that it is very likely that Newton's performance was negatively affected long before he went on to require his patella tendon surgery, and that we probably did not appreciate what he was truly capable of last year. That being said, this type of surgery is a difficult recovery for any player, and for many reasons can be especially unpredictable as far as time of return and ultimate level of return for a "big" man.
Old 07-25-2013   #96
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I saw him play in the Senior Bowl, including the week of practice with one-on-one drills leading up to the game, and he was impressive. So why do you think he fell all of the way to the sixth round ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #97
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 52734 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The typical history of a patella tendon tear/rupture is that there is usually a long-standing chronic inflammation of the tendon (tendonitis). Without adequate conservative treatment which most importantly involves adequate REST from the repetitive traumatic movements (overuse syndrome) that caused it to begin with, the tendon eventually weakens to the point that it tears/ruptures.

I go through this explanation just to say that it is very likely that Newton's performance was negatively affected long before he went on to require his patella tendon surgery, and that we probably did not appreciate what he was truly capable of last year. That being said, this type of surgery is a difficult recovery for any player, and for many reasons can be especially unpredictable as far as time of return and ultimate level of return for a "big" man.
Not to mention getting back in shape for zone blocking. He's going to have to bust ass in August.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #98
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Back on active roster as of last evening.
Quote:
Two rookie third-round picks – offensive tackle Brennan Williams and outside linebacker Sam Montgomery – were moved to the active roster. Williams had been on preseason PUP and Montgomery on the non-football injury list because he reported out of shape.
LINK
Old 07-26-2013   #99
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Back on active roster as of last evening.

LINK
Anyone know what's up with Sharpton being on the NFI list? That kid seems to be made of glass.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #100
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:

And if you are referring to Cushing's patellar tendon surgery recovery in comparison to Newton's???...............Cushing underwent the surgery in Jan 2011...........he didn't return to play until the end of August As I've said before, this is a tough surgery rehab for anyone..........but much more so for a "big man" such as Newton. I stay very skeptical that Newton returns anytime soon, and once he does return I will still be concerned how quickly he is truly contributory and to what extend he regains level of performance.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read