Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-23-2013   #61
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: One post that has everything about Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
He could just be his own type of guy too.

A guy that can make brilliant plays followed by terrible, awful plays.

But my point is, that he's proven that when it matters most he can step it up through a tough stretch of games and help his team win.

Doesn't mean he'll do it every time, but we know he can.

I don't know that Schaub can do that. Not for multiple games in a row down the stretch, into the play-offs and in the Superbowl.

And back to my original point about system...There's really 0 excuse for why he shouldn't be able to play well when it gets tough late in the year other than his own limitations or injuries. We know that this system works.

With Flacco, we don't know that his old system worked for him. We do know that his new system did.

Really there's no comparing the two at this point. Flacco has played well in a stretch of big games. Schaub hasn't. That's really the end of it right there.

Until Schaub can play well in tough games down the stretch then you can't put him on Flacco's level...IMO...
Quote:
What do those QB's have in common?

You want to know what one hell of a qualifier is? Winning a Superbowl. There's only one of those handed out a year.

And I'm not saying I don't believe Schaub can do it because he hasn't done it. I'm saying I don't believe he can do it because I don't believe he can do it.

I'm anxiously waiting to be proven wrong. I want nothing more than Schaub to make all the doubters eat dirt and give the NFL a big stfu and suck these in late December. That would be awesome.

I don't believe he has it in him, but my belief has 0 to do with whether or not he actually can.
Agreed...Although there is the little caveat of him actually winning us a SB as our starting qb........but not actually being the key component. Maybe he game manages us to 1...So there is still a way you can be right but still be wrong..lol....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I don't understand what point you're making with that though.

They've already won a superbowl.

The book still being open means it can go positively or negatively from this point. And what I'm saying is that even if it all goes to hell, they've already accomplished the ultimate together. That can't be taken away.

If they do more positive things together that just adds to their legacy.
This back & forth between you & I started because you said when Caldwell took over, Flacco played better.

I said I don't know about Caldwell. We've seen Flacco flash a time or two before.

If Flacco comes out inconsistent next season, then we'll know it was more about Flacco's streakyness than it was about Caldwell.

Over the last 5 years, watching the two play, I never doubted that Schuab was the better of the two. Just because Flacco won a Super Bowl doesn't change that for me. He had a helluva run through the play offs, better than Peyton, & Brady both. That doesn't make him a better QB than either of them, doesn't make him a better QB than Schaub.

If he ever got to the point where you can expect him to play like that more often than not, then I'll say he's a better QB than Schaub.
Old 07-23-2013   #63
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This back & forth between you & I started because you said when Caldwell took over, Flacco played better.

I said I don't know about Caldwell. We've seen Flacco flash a time or two before.

If Flacco comes out inconsistent next season, then we'll know it was more about Flacco's streakyness than it was about Caldwell.
Gotcha. Understood.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #64
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I cant wait till schaub wins a Super bowl so all this talk can die
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #65
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I cant wait till schaub wins a Super bowl so all this talk can die
I 2nd that!
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #66
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Over the last 5 years, watching the two play, I never doubted that Schuab was the better of the two. Just because Flacco won a Super Bowl doesn't change that for me. He had a helluva run through the play offs, better than Peyton, & Brady both. That doesn't make him a better QB than either of them, doesn't make him a better QB than Schaub.

If he ever got to the point where you can expect him to play like that more often than not, then I'll say he's a better QB than Schaub.
What about the yr before when the Ravens were 1 Evans dropped pass away from the SB? Did you know Flacco's teams have made it to the playoffs every yr? Clutch gene?

Flacco has the clutch gene, Schaub not so much.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
What about the yr before when the Ravens were 1 Evans dropped pass away from the SB? Did you know Flacco's teams have made it to the playoffs every yr? Clutch gene?

Flacco has the clutch gene, Schaub not so much.
If he was clutch, Evans would have caught that ball same as Casey should have caught the one Schaub served up for him.

Flacco stepped it up in the play offs, can't take that away from him.
Old 07-24-2013   #68
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are one QB with decent mobility, decent accuracy, and decent arm strength away from being tough to deal with.
Old 07-24-2013   #69
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

No Schaub thread is complete without this:

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #70
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
No Schaub thread is complete without this:

We can always count on you FS.

MSR

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #71
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
We can always count on you FS.

MSR

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #72
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanna see that schaub were its like OT and the game goes into clutch mode so Schaub goes into robot BEAST MODE

drives down the field and scores a 7
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #73
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 30463 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I wanna see that schaub were its like OT and the game goes into clutch mode so Schaub goes into robot BEAST MODE

drives down the field and scores a 7
You mean like vs WAS in 2010? Or a number of other games in 2010? Or JAX last year?
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #74
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 30463 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we put the audible arguments to rest after this?

Quote:
Stephanie Stradley @StephStradley
#Texans @MSchaub8 said that they may change play at line based on D look maybe 30% of time but do in way not as obvious as other teams.
Quote:
#Texans @CMyers55 talked about Schaub having flexibility for calling plays. They audible/have options but more subtle than some teams.
Quote:
Re: Myers/Schaub audible qs. Neither wanted to discuss details of play changing at line, but seemed to think silly some concerned with that.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #75
OrangeLotPole8
Veteran

Section: Bullpen 116
Rep Power: 3716 OrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respectedOrangeLotPole8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Because Flacco is better than allz them btches.

DUDE!!!!!!!!!! You are repped on that alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am still laughing!
Old 07-26-2013   #76
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Can we put the audible arguments to rest after this?
She went into more detail in her blog.
Quote:
In our scheme, Matt doesnít necessarily have to do that all the time. You guys may not notice, but we audible a lot. You guys may not notice and talk about it all the time because you guys donít notice it. Itís one of the things that come with the territory. Itís a smooth transition for us with the zone blocking scheme and with the rollouts that we have that Mattís been able to run. We donít have to audible as much because we have the potential for other things to happen. Our audibles arenít the same as other teams, but we get it done just as much as they do.
Quote:
We do have a built-in system but itís something that we do at the line of scrimmage that is not as dramatic as some teams do. We do it about 30 percent of the game. We have two or maybe three plays at the line of scrimmage and then we go from there. Itís all based on what the defense is doing. Sometimes itís run to run, run to pass, it can be any one of those things, but itís all predicated on the defense.
Quote:
So there you go. If they told you how it was done, they would have to kill you.

I know I've seen things on TV or at the game & wondered why they don't take advantage of them... I've seen Andre in the slot with a LB covering him & we go with a run play.

But when you look at how prolific our offense is I can't imagine we don't have the ability to change the play based on what the defense shows. Personally, I think if every player on the OL has options, where the FB has to read & react, then the HB has to read & react, then it stands to reason the QB & the receivers have a "read & react" portion in the offense as well and there's got to be a system to make sure they are all on the same page.
Quote:
Yes, some teamsí schemes mean that they dramatically change plays. And they may change plays to a larger part of their playbook. With the Texans scheme in particular, since so much of it is from formations where run and pass are intended to look the same, they usually donít want to be obvious in play changing. Non-obvious audibles isnít an unusual thing in the NFL either, but appears to be a pet issue of some.
Which brings up another point. When teams do audible, the defense audibles... how is that taking advantage of a situation? If it's like Schaub & Myers says, other teams don't know when we change, then we've got them where we want them.
Old 07-26-2013   #77
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
She went into more detail in her blog.

I know I've seen things on TV or at the game & wondered why they don't take advantage of them... I've seen Andre in the slot with a LB covering him & we go with a run play.

But when you look at how prolific our offense is I can't imagine we don't have the ability to change the play based on what the defense shows. Personally, I think if every player on the OL has options, where the FB has to read & react, then the HB has to read & react, then it stands to reason the QB & the receivers have a "read & react" portion in the offense as well and there's got to be a system to make sure they are all on the same page.
Which brings up another point. When teams do audible, the defense audibles... how is that taking advantage of a situation? If it's like Schaub & Myers says, other teams don't know when we change, then we've got them where we want them.

The same thing Schaub and Meyers said is the same thing I've been saying for a few years.

With this scheme the audibles aren't like other teams. That's a good and bad thing. It's good because with the ZBS you don't really need wholesale changes on any given play because the scheme is designed to make the defense wrong under several different situations. Our audibles are based more on defensive formations vs defensive personnel.

The only drawback to our audible system is that in the past (I'll explain why I say past later) if Andre has a mouse in the house or if Matt sees some other mismatch, he doesn't go completely off the grid and call something all on his own to take advantage of that.

Our audibles are basic audibles. If you see this when we have this play called this do that. Matt hasn't had the freedom to go and do what I call creative audibles.

So they are right. Our audible system is different.

Now the reason that I keep saying "in the past" is because Rick Smith was on the radio maybe like a week ago and he said something about Matt having more freedom at the LOS this year than he's had in the past...Something about giving him more responsibility. My only guess is that Matt will be allowed to completely change plays to something he likes in certain instances based on things he himself picked up on film or a match up he likes...or whatever reason he comes up with. I think they are going to allow him more freedom to be creative at the line.

That's something that I've been wanting to see because it might actually help him play better. Give him more confidence in what he's doing...And he's a smart guy, so maybe he will be able to call some things on the fly that really help the offense.

But yeah...They are right. We audible quite a bit. But it's not like a lot of other teams where you see QB's walking down the line calling stuff out because we aren't making those kinds of changes.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read