Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-23-2013   #141
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: 3rd round Sam Montgomery DE/OLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The Texans obviously take being in shape seriously. They just cut Harris for not being in shape. They publicized Brooks weight woes...And now this...

Shape up guys.
Had me worried there for a minute... thought you were talking about Brandon Harris.
Quote:
The Texans also made some other moves on Monday, releasing defensive tackle Ra'Shon "Sunny" Harris, who was injured this spring. They also placed rookie defensive end Earl Okine on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform List.
Old 07-23-2013   #142
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
As I wrote in the "Ratliff" thread, conditioning tests the way they are used are essentially worthless.
Unless you're Big Shanny lookin' for a way to punish Fat Albert. Hey, Hey, Hey

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #143
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans obviously take being in shape seriously. They just cut Harris for not being in shape. They publicized Brooks weight woes...And now this...

Shape up guys.
That triceps tear may have been the problem. It was never characterized as to tendon, muscle, musculo-tendinous, or tendon to bone tear........nor as to complete or partial. Most of the aforementioned tears can be expected to heal after rehab and after surgery both. But some, especially a significant percentage of those treated by rehab only fail and never regain pre-injury strength, or go on to re-injury or ultimately to surgery. There was no mention of Harris having undergone surgery following his tear. If he has had lingering problems with the triceps, upper body mass and strength would be very difficult to regain or maintain, accounting for an "out of shape" appearance. Furthermore, a nose tackle would be essentially worthless without being able to maintain strong triceps.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #144
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Had me worried there for a minute... thought you were talking about Brandon Harris.
Me too. I just broke a fingernail (J/K) googling.
Old 07-23-2013   #145
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Consider the source, but...

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Texans, 3rd-rd picks off to slow start... LB Sam Montgomery woefully out of shape.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #146
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Consider the source, but...

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Well, guess I gotta go with Pancakes on this one. After all, takes one to know one, eh?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #147
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmm, dude better get his crap straight. The Kubiak doghouse lasts a long time

Quote:
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 3m
Swearinger said he told Sam Montgomery to "step it up" after Sam landed on "the list" added that its disappointing.
Old 07-25-2013   #148
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Then there's this...

Quote:
Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant 4m
@JJWatt talked to Sam Montgomery. He has a lot of talent. "We'll get him right." #Texans
Quote:
Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant 4m
@JJWatt talked to Sam Montgomery. He has a lot of talent. "We'll get him right." #Texans
Old 07-25-2013   #149
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Nobody's going to get him right. He's the only one that can do that. You would think that he would have done that by now.........but he hasn't. Indeed, very disappointing.
Old 07-25-2013   #150
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Hmm, dude better get his crap straight. The Kubiak doghouse lasts a long time
I like that Swearinger is already comfortable telling guys to step up...

As far as Montgomery goes, this isn't a great sign. Sounds like he has some maturing to do.

It's not like the coaches checking to see if he's in good shape is a pop quiz.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #151
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Back during the draft when that Strength coach's note talking about selfish players who weren't working hard was passed around, I didn't pay that much mind. From what I'd heard, Montgomery missed a single workout and the guy put that up there. But, from what I'd heard, Montgomery hadn't missed any workouts since then.

BUT.

This is very troubling.

I expect the leaders of our team to light a fire under this guy's ass but it's still very troubling.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #152
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
I like that Swearinger is already comfortable telling guys to step up...

As far as Montgomery goes, this isn't a great sign. Sounds like he has some maturing to do.

It's not like the coaches checking to see if he's in good shape is a pop quiz.
Yup, and that's bad news for him from what I've gathered over Kubiak's tenure. Foster didn't see the field until the end of the season. A season where our running game was horrible. Hope he's able to get his mind right. Otherwise, we can scratch him off the depth chart for most of this year.
Old 07-25-2013   #153
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yup, and that's bad news for him from what I've gathered over Kubiak's tenure. Foster didn't see the field until the end of the season. A season where our running game was horrible. Hope he's able to get his mind right. Otherwise, we can scratch him off the depth chart for most of this year.
I was expecting a 4-man OLB rotation with Reed and Williams on the strong side and Mercilus and Montgomery on the weak.

But now... I'm expecting a 3-man OLB rotation with Williams backing up both strong and weak... unless Braman steps up.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #154
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I was expecting a 4-man OLB rotation with Reed and Williams on the strong side and Mercilus and Montgomery on the weak.

But now... I'm expecting a 3-man OLB rotation with Williams backing up both strong and weak... unless Braman steps up.
Agreed. I painted a pretty bleak picture. There's a very good chance he gets right quick, but it's not looking great.

I've heard some very good things about this Jefferson cat. He'll be one of my key focuses throughout camp.
Old 07-25-2013   #155
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Braman was already ahead of those guys unless they proved to be better. When Reed was playing inside, Braman was starting outside.

I always expected Braman to be in the rotation this year unless the two rookies proved to be really good.
Old 07-25-2013   #156
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

We've got very little information about what the actual issue was. We're letting our imaginations run wild here.

This just might be a little push saying, "We know you've got what it takes to be great, we need you to be great this year."

What he's been doing so far could have been great for 80% of the teams in the league for all we know & we're just telling him we expect better.
Old 07-25-2013   #157
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We've got very little information about what the actual issue was. We're letting our imaginations run wild here.
We don't know for sure, but we have several reports of him not being in good enough shape and then we have three teammates coming out and not only not denying those reports, but making comments that seem to support it's validity.

You have Swearinger saying that Montgomery is on the "list" and that he basically told him to get it in gear...You have Watt saying something about helping him get his stuff together...And then Antonio comments that it's better than it happened now rather than later.

I think at this point it's pretty much confirmed that he was not in shape.
Old 07-25-2013   #158
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Back during the draft when that Strength coach's note talking about selfish players who weren't working hard was passed around, I didn't pay that much mind. From what I'd heard, Montgomery missed a single workout and the guy put that up there. But, from what I'd heard, Montgomery hadn't missed any workouts since then.

BUT.

This is very troubling.

I expect the leaders of our team to light a fire under this guy's ass but it's still very troubling.
Yep...
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #159
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
We don't know for sure, but we have several reports of him not being in good enough shape...
The only report I've seen saying he was out of shape was one from McCain. The guy with less access to the Texans than Bud Adams.

Then someone else posted here that the Texans don't even use a "conditioning" test.

Quote:
and then we have three teammates coming out and not only not denying those reports, but making comments that seem to support it's validity.

You have Swearinger saying that Montgomery is on the "list" and that he basically told him to get it in gear...You have Watt saying something about helping him get his stuff together...And then Antonio comments that it's better than it happened now rather than later.
True, I'm still trying to figure that out.

Quote:
I think at this point it's pretty much confirmed that he was not in shape.
You ever hear of anyone described as "hard-headed"?

That's me. Not dumb, not slow, but a severe distrust of anyone not me.
Old 07-25-2013   #160
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

As I've said before conditioning tests are usually worthless. We are not the only team that doesn't use formal conditioning tests. Some only use them if you've missed OTAs and mini-camps. Many are given in air conditioning. Most that are given, are performed without pads and other equipment. Physicians and trained personnel can pretty well tell if a player is in or out of shape upon basic examination and testing that does not entail so-called formal "conditioning tests."

BTW, I would trust John McClain to be a connoisseur of recognizing "out of shape."

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read