Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-22-2013   #1
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22889 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Braman

There's been considerable comment as far as our two draft picks - Montgomery and Williams - but I believe, starting training camp, the key to our linebacking corp is going to be Bryan Braman. His progress is going to determine whether Brooks Reed is moved inside.

My understanding is that he made a positive impact during OTA's.

There was comments about size over in the Willie Jackson thread; he's 6'-5" and, I think he has said, he's up to 240 lbs. Well, Braman, also at 6'-5", has toned down to 242 lbs. At 251 lbs, Braman ran a 4.64. Losing 10 pounds, he's probably picked up a step or two.

Going into his third year, he has the experience now to pick it up a notch and, as he puts it, be the next man up. And I think the coaching staff expects it of him.

If Braman can start solidifying the SS OLB position to start camp, this will allow Reed to be moved to the SS inside, continuing what began during OTA's.

The rookies will get playing time to start the season (Philips wants a rotation) but I think it's Braman's position to loose. If not this, then Reed starts the season outside.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Braman

I don't think lack of speed has been Braman's issue. Holding the edge against the run and instincts have been. Losing weight seems to be regressing to me, but I guess we will see at camp and preseason.
Old 07-22-2013   #3
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22889 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree, I think, that losing weight seems to be regressing, and holding the edge against the run is the question mark. But who else do we have on the roster, except for Brooks Reed? Williams, Jackson, Montgomery - three rookies?

Tim Dobbins, with 7 years experience, is the elder vet on the team. Cushing is next with 4 years experience and Sharpton follows with 3 years. Reed and Braman have 2 years experience. Merci has 1.

From what I read, Bramen has taken this past off season very seriously, preparing to be "the next man up". If he lost 10 pounds, deliberately, in his preparation - why? Was this entirely his decision or was the coaching & training staff behind it?

I think the experience thing is why the staff are saying that Cushing + Sharpton and Merci + Reed are our starters going into camp. But probably Cushing + Reed and Merci + Braman are on their radar. I'd bet that one of these two options will be the opening game starters.

So take your pick.
Old 07-22-2013   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Sucker looked pretty fit to me. Not much fat to get rid of.

I don't see how loosing 10 lbs is going to help
Old 07-22-2013   #5
Number19
All Pro

Here's the link where I read he had dropped to 242 pounds : http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=854...hows-up-leaner
Old 07-22-2013   #6
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

not so sure that its as simple as weight, instincts or position. I happen to think he doesn't seem to have it upstairs. Nothing will get you doghoused or ****canned faster than missing assignments on the field. Put him on special teams, point him in the direction of the runner and and set him free, that's what he does best.
Old 07-23-2013   #7
Number19
All Pro

You have to remember, he is only going into his third training camp, and his football background before being signed by the Texans. He had practically none. It is instincts. He had no football instincts to speak of before signing. He was the text book example of a "project".

I can't link this, but one of his comments that I read somewhere on the net, that this off season he put in a lot of time studying and learning his playbook. Not mentioned, but I hope he also put a lot of time in the film room.

Basically, he said he had really dedicated his off season to preparing to take his game to the next level. When I read Kubiak's comment, during OTA's, about the progress he had made, my thoughts were that this preparation was showing up on the field.

This is Braman's year. His dedication and preparation has to start showing up on the field this training camp. If this happens, it will be an important key to our success this season.
Sponsored links
Old 07-23-2013   #8
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 40659 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Braman takes the next step and becomes a bonafide starter outside. I like his tenacity and the heart he plays with. If he learns how to set the edge and how to read offenses better and anticipate things better, he could be a great player IMO.
Old 07-23-2013   #9
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
I hope Braman takes the next step and becomes a bonafide starter outside. I like his tenacity and the heart he plays with. If he learns how to set the edge and how to read offenses better and anticipate things better, he could be a great player IMO.
That's just a term for defending against rushing plays at the end of the los, something that's xtra challenging @ only 242 lbs. That's awfully light for a 3-down defender.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If Wade is who we think he is, we need guys like Braman & Jamison to step up & contribute big time to this defense. They can't all be 1st & 2nd rounders.
Old 07-23-2013   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think with all the guys we have the LB situation will sort itself out.

I don't know why Barwin got all season to not be productive when you had Braman and Merciless on the bench, but I'm hoping Wade will be liberal with his subs this year if the starters aren't making an impact.

The only think I'm worried about with Braman as an every down LB is his patience. But on passing downs, I'd like to see him get some rush opportunities. I think he'd be good in those spots.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
not so sure that its as simple as weight, instincts or position. I happen to think he doesn't seem to have it upstairs. Nothing will get you doghoused or ****canned faster than missing assignments on the field. Put him on special teams, point him in the direction of the runner and and set him free, that's what he does best.
Those are the same qualities that situational pass rushers throughout the league have...Fair criticism of Wade etc for not mixing in a really quick fast guy in obvious pass rushing situations to go get that guy standing 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

All the setting edges and understanding the defense does not preclude that guy from 5-10 snaps when there is a 90% plus chance of the team passing.
Old 07-23-2013   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

For those criticizing Braman's mental capacity, special teams is not for the dumb. A lot of it is just want to and a bit of craziness, but there are obviously responsibilities on special teams. Big responsibilities because one mistake can cost the team big time.

For those that don't know, you have to be disciplined in your lanes when you're running down the field. And most special teams will have a certain direction that you want to go around blockers..Either avoid right, or avoid left...That is because if you have two guys avoiding blocks in different directions you will create a huge hole. And then when you get withing 5 yards of the ball carrier you are taught to break down. There's a bunch of other stuff too..

Basically, Braman is not just some idiot out there running around with rocks in his head just being crazy on special teams. I'm not saying it's as mentally challenging as being on defense, but for him to be as good as he is on special teams it does show that he pays attention in meetings/practice and is able to apply it to games.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 264510 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
Quote:
"Braman is a physical freak. He's gonna contribute this year one way or the other." -@Brooksreed58 on @50_Braman
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #15
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

I've seen the guy get what 5 sacks in a game? Run down the field with no helmet and make the tackle (freaking awesome by the way) but what I don't see is what goes on at practice, film room or meetings and I can only suspect that the coaches have their reservations for good reason. I get that you can load up a physical freak on the outside and let her rip, but offenses will get hip to that pretty fast. I don't know, I hope ya'll are right and he does take that next step, his measurables were never the things in question IMO.
Old 07-24-2013   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
I've seen the guy get what 5 sacks in a game? Run down the field with no helmet and make the tackle (freaking awesome by the way) but what I don't see is what goes on at practice, film room or meetings and I can only suspect that the coaches have their reservations for good reason. I get that you can load up a physical freak on the outside and let her rip, but offenses will get hip to that pretty fast. I don't know, I hope ya'll are right and he does take that next step, his measurables were never the things in question IMO.
When was this?
Old 07-24-2013   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
When was this?
It was in an alternate reality.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
It was in an alternate reality.
Sweet!
Old 07-24-2013   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel this is the best group of coaches in Texan franchise history & would be in the mix of best in the league if they can develop then exploit the talents of a player like Bramen. I believe he (they-coaches) WILL get it done!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #20
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope he's capabale enough to be a solid back-up. Our LB corps was decimated last season, so hopefully we have some depth their now. No more Barret Ruud's please.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read