Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-21-2013   #21
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13099 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: On 3rd and extra long runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't care.

There was a time when the only stat that mattered was the W-L. Now that Schaub & Kubiak are winning that one, we're going into minutia stats that "really" matter.
MSR

At first it was, 'If Kubiak can't produce a winning season in 4 tries then he never will'.

They swiftly moved on to, 'Kubiak will never make the playoffs'.

Then it became, 'Kubiak will never be able to win a playoff game, he's too _________'.

Which then morphed into, 'Kubiak has plateaued, he'll never win the big one'.
Old 07-21-2013   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
MSR

At first it was, 'If Kubiak can't produce a winning season in 4 tries then he never will'.

Then it became, 'Kubiak will never be able to win a playoff game, he's too _________'.

I've followed the NFL since the early 70's and it's no different than any other era in any other city.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #23
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
MSR

Yeah, kinda funny huh?

If we were to go to Met Life Stadium in February and take home the prize, what would it be next.

"Bet he can't do it again next year..."

I can hear it now.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #24
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13099 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I've followed the NFL since the early 70's and it's no different than any other era in any other city.
Ah yes. The authority has spoken.

/close thread
Old 07-22-2013   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
MSR.

That's so true. When we're losing, the people who are trying to look on the bright side retreat to a position using stats to show that we're close to winning. When we're winning, the people who are trying to look on the dark side retreat to a position using stats to show that we're close to losing.

For me, a dissection of the stats of a winning team is really a dissection of how they won. Kubiak was more conservative last year... at times... because he could afford to be. He didn't have to take as many risks to try to win the game. The fact that we won so many games proves that he was right about that.

Now, he just has to figure out what he needs to fix and change to be able to take out teams like the Packers and Patriots and how to construct the team so it doesn't fade at the end of the season.
One thing I found interesting, among one of the playbook series that I was able to download some time ago is that some of them are game plan where one team actually record the tendency of another.

You quickly realize that it's already irrelevant by the time you read it; but it's still fascinating or informative just the same.

On the other hand, there are other play books that actually spell out the strength and weakness of the individual players on a certain team and what was the general goal that the coaches looked for entering the season.
Again, these are somewhat to very out of date; they don't affect anything.

There's really nothing that Belichik did that Shanahan can't tell and vice versa by watching regular game tapes.

What was "informative" to me is to see (or to try to get a glimpse of) different systems teached by different coaches at different points in time.

I still go back to them here and there, as I know I can get a little more out of each every time around.

It's just a fascinating sport; things that are old can come back anew with a different twist.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read