Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-21-2013   #61
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed may miss games now

old, injured player past his prime....kinda what I said when the deal went down. How much vet leadership did Ahman Green give that overcame his lack of ability to get on the field as a difference maker?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #62
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
My implication was that if our opponents do what they can to contain Watt as best as possible like they did last year with minimal success, the remaining 10 players on our defense this season don't look as good as the remaining 10 did last year. They ran on us last year fairly well despite Watt so I expect more of the same.
First off, we were 7th against the run last year, 10th if you want to look at ypc. So most teams did not run on us "fairly well" last year. We had some issues with our OLBs, ILBs, and NT last year not playing up to what we would have liked. I think we're going to see improved play from both the NT and ILB spots this year and I think our OLB rotation got more athletic.

I don't know if we're going to improve much from last year but I don't expect to get a lot worse, either.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
My implication was that if our opponents do what they can to contain Watt as best as possible like they did last year with minimal success, the remaining 10 players on our defense this season don't look as good as the remaining 10 did last year. They ran on us last year fairly well despite Watt so I expect more of the same.
The Packers & Patriots found a way to minimize Jj Watt. The Patriots did it twice. The blue print is out there, I agree with you, that more teams will copy that blue print.....

It's the same for Kaepernick, Wilson, & RG3. Teams will figure them out.

It's possible that Watt can be like Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Ronnie Lot, Deion Sanders..... & he finds a way to produce at an elite level regardless. But those guys are rare & I haven't seen one on the defense side of the ball in a long, long time.

Ray Lewis & Brian Urlacher...... maybe?
Old 07-21-2013   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
old, injured player past his prime....kinda what I said when the deal went down. How much vet leadership did Ahman Green give that overcame his lack of ability to get on the field as a difference maker?
So you & John McClain think alike? You should be proud.
Old 07-21-2013   #65
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The Packers & Patriots found a way to minimize Jj Watt. The Patriots did it twice. The blue print is out there, I agree with you, that more teams will copy that blue print.....

It's possible that Watt can be like Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Ronnie Lot, Deion Sanders..... & he finds a way to produce at an elite level regardless. But those guys are rare & I haven't seen one on the defense side of the ball in a long, long time.

Just to be clear, I do believe that Watt is special, and will be one of those guys who can personally make a difference despite being double-teamed or strategically planned for. Definitely one of the best football players in the NFL.

I just don't believe that his 10 remaining defensive teammates are going to be any better than just OK. Not bad, but not great. So I think that decent offenses will have a chance to score 17-24 points on us. Our offense just has to deliver.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #66
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Why does Blitz keep saying "us"? I'm confused.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #67
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
That's nothing new.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #68
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not every team has the tools, talent and QB to follow that blue print. And Didnt Watt get to Rogers twice ? and he hit brady like 5 times in the first meeting, would be more worried about the LBs and CBs in coverage than the ability of JJ Watt in those games.
Old 07-21-2013   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
People think he's a Colts fan. I'm unsure. I think he's a Texans fan who just really hates Schaub. He likes the Colts as opposed to the Texans because they had Peyton, then got Luck.. "looks" like they are doing everything right, while we waste our time with Schaub.
Old 07-21-2013   #70
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80234 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

At least they took out insurance in DJ. TBH as long as he mentors DJ and could potentially help us in the PLAYOFFS, I would be fine with it.
Old 07-21-2013   #71
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
At least they took out insurance in DJ. TBH as long as he mentors DJ and could potentially help us in the PLAYOFFS, I would be fine with it.
This is my mind set as well. I realize its PreSeason but DJ looks legit! Will he make mistakes? No doubt. What he will need to know to decipher what he sees and react to it. That is taught in the film room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #72
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Hmm, the Packers minimized him to 2 sacks, 5 tackles and 1 assist. The Patriots did a better job on him, holding him to .5 sacks, 3 tackles, 5 assists and 1 forced fumble.

Can't say it's much of a blueprint, but if teams want to use it...go for it.
Old 07-22-2013   #73
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just to be clear, I do believe that Watt is special, and will be one of those guys who can personally make a difference despite being double-teamed or strategically planned for. Definitely one of the best football players in the NFL.

I just don't believe that his 10 remaining defensive teammates are going to be any better than just OK. Not bad, but not great. So I think that decent offenses will have a chance to score 17-24 points on us. Our offense just has to deliver.
Just to give some context to this...

17 points per game over an entire season comes to 272 points total. Last year, only 1 defense did better than that: the Seahawks who gave up 15 points per game. We gave up 20 points per game and we were ranked 10th in the league.

24 points per game over an entire season comes to 384 points total. Last year, that would have been good enough for 20th and better than the Colts, Cowboys, Redskins, Jaguars, and Titans... among others.

Our defense was doing pretty good, keeping most opponents under 20 points, until the last several games of the season. I think our issues at ILB were just too much by that point and people started taking advantage of us. If we can keep Cush upright and playing fierce, I think we can improve our points allowed per game.

If we can do that, we're going to be tough to beat.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #74
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Just to give some context to this...

17 points per game over an entire season comes to 272 points total. Last year, only 1 defense did better than that: the Seahawks who gave up 15 points per game. We gave up 20 points per game and we were ranked 10th in the league.

24 points per game over an entire season comes to 384 points total. Last year, that would have been good enough for 20th and better than the Colts, Cowboys, Redskins, Jaguars, and Titans... among others.

Our defense was doing pretty good, keeping most opponents under 20 points, until the last several games of the season. I think our issues at ILB were just too much by that point and people started taking advantage of us. If we can keep Cush upright and playing fierce, I think we can improve our points allowed per game.

If we can do that, we're going to be tough to beat.
Especially the Pats. Our ILBs were getting abused in the passing game. They knew it was our weakest link and attacked the heck out of it.
Old 08-22-2013   #75
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 246198 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 6h

Ed Reed’s contract has $1 million worth of per-game incentives, meaning for each game he plays, Reed collects $62,500.

Interesting in that incentives are categorized as either "Likely to be Earned" (LTBE) or "Not Likely to be Earned" (NLTBE). Their names are pretty self explanatory. LTBE incentives count towards the cap while NLTBE incentives do not. But the way it goes is that if the player achieves those NLTBE incentives then they count toward the following year's cap. So how would you really categorize Reed's incentive??
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #76
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd catagorize his incentives as very doubtful, just like his chances of seeing the field in the first half of the season. This FA signing is backfiring on us so far, we'll see what happens for the season but it's not looking good.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #77
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'd catagorize his incentives as very doubtful, just like his chances of seeing the field in the first half of the season. This FA signing is backfiring on us so far, we'll see what happens for the season but it's not looking good.
Like Reed already said, if the Super Bowl were today he'd be playing. If Reed plays second half/playoffs for us that is a BIG win for me, especially as Swearinger gets better as the season goes on and it all comes together in time for stretch run.

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Reed missed the pre season last year too.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #78
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Interesting in that incentives are categorized as either "Likely to be Earned" (LTBE) or "Not Likely to be Earned" (NLTBE). Their names are pretty self explanatory. LTBE incentives count towards the cap while NLTBE incentives do not. But the way it goes is that if the player achieves those NLTBE incentives then they count toward the following year's cap. So how would you really categorize Reed's incentive??
Here's the CBA language on incentives being "Likely" or "Not Likely":
Quote:
Any and all incentive amounts, including but not limited to performance bonuses, shall be included in Team Salary if they are “likely to be earned” during such League Year based upon the player’s and/or Team’s performance during the prior year.
The bolded part is what drives the determination. Ed Reed played all 16 regular season games for the Ravens last season, therefore, the entire $1 Million is considered "Likely to be earned". Should he miss any games in the 2013 regular season, the Texans will be credited $62,500 against the 2014 salary cap for each game missed (Assuming of course that Schefter's info is correct).

Last edited by ChampionTexan; 08-23-2013 at 08:27 AM.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #79
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
It's backfiring because he hasn't played in the Preseason?

I'm not concerned at all. My gut says he's starting week 3 but hypothetically if he's PUP'd and returns for the KC game I'm still cool with that. The games in Dec-Feb are what we brought him in for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #80
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Ed will be there week one. I've heard too many people that know him say they think he'll be there week one so that'll be my guess.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read