Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-20-2013   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default PFT Preseason Power Rankings No. 10: Houston Texans

Ten is certainly not a glowing vote of confidence for a SuperBowl run.

Quote:
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 20, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT

The Texans had a long climb to respectability.

But now that they’ve achieved it, there’s suddenly a sense of unfulfilled potential.

The Texans have looked like Super Bowl contenders the last two years, but have lost in the Divisional Round of the playoffs both years.

The year before it unraveled when their quarterback went down, but they squandered a chance at home field advantage after an 11-1 start last year. That makes this year seem a bit of a repeat of last year’s expectations.

But teams are now pecking away at their base of talent, and some key losses in free agency mean they’re relying on young or new players in several spots.

The Texans are fully capable of winning 12 games again, but they’ve created the questions about their mental ability to win the ones that matter most.

Strengths.

The Texans have star power at some key positions, with players such as defensive end J.J. Watt, left tackle Duane Brown, running back Arian Foster and wide receiver Andre Johnson among the very best in the game.

Watt’s season last year was remarkable in many ways, primarily because he dominated games from a position usually tailored to tying up blocks so other guys can make plays. His ability to change the passing game both as a sack guy (20.5) and by batting down passes is something few can match.

And the offensive stars got a lift with the addition of first-round wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, who should be able to take some pressure off Johnson (and by extension, Foster) with his deep ball ability.

Weaknesses.

Quarterback Matt Schaub has been pretty good, and maybe a top 10-in-the-league caliber guy, so it’s hard to call him a true weakness. But it is getting close to the time where he either has to move up or they have to start wondering when to move him out.

He’s accurate, he’s productive, he puts up huge numbers.

But he’s not pushing into the top tier of quarterbacks until he plays better in December and January, and more and more people are starting to realize that he hasn’t done that yet. He had one touchdown pass in the last four games last season, making it no surprise the Texans only won one of them.

He’s had the benefit of excellent talent around him — with a strong running game and offensive line making play-action easier — and now’s the time for him to prove he belongs in the conversation with the very top quarterbacks.

If he doesn’t, people are going to zoom in on him as the reason the Texans are falling short, rather than one of the reasons they’re so close.
THE REST OF THE STORY
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #2
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Ravens weren't a top 10 contender last year. Preseason endorsements don't concern me. Have to play great at then end of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #3
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: PFT Preseason Power Rankings No. 10: Houston Texans

Cant really argue with anything they said, we have a lot of good talent at some key positions. Schaub appears to be a weakness, the O-line is in question, Reed is a downgrade over quin in the aspect of long term potential he does bring swagger and experience though.

I am feeling really positive about this season, with the draft and everything i feel we wont see a drop off in talent anywhere, and i think the right side of the o-line will be improved.

This could very well be our year, if not and Schaub fails to perform in clutch then i feel we wont see him here starting next year.
Old 07-20-2013   #4
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Florio and the team at PFT don't really like the Texans much anyway since he's been picking other teams to win the division the last 2 years so this is no surprise. The Texans really didn't help the situation either by playing so poorly at the end of the season. I would have put us around 6 or 7 so I can't really complain about this all that much.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #5
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone else excited that this is the last week of no football? Fri is training camp and two weeks after that we are playing the Vikings.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #6
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Ravens weren't a top 10 contender last year. Preseason endorsements don't concern me. Have to play great at then end of the season.
Not Exactly. Here's last year's PFT Pre-season rankings. Link

Quote:
No. 32: The Browns.

No. 31: The Colts.

No. 30: The Jaguars.

No. 29: The Vikings.

No. 28: The Rams.

No. 27: The Dolphins.

No. 26: The Buccaneers.

No. 25: The Cardinals.

No. 24: The Redskins.

No. 23: The Raiders.

No. 22: The Seahawks.

No. 21: The Chiefs.

No. 20 The Titans.

No. 19: The Bills.

No. 18: The Jets.

No. 17: The Panthers.

No. 16: The Chargers.

No. 15: The Bengals.

No. 14: The Cowboys.

No. 13: The Lions.

No. 12: The Falcons.

No. 11: The Bears.

No. 10: The Broncos.

No. 9: The Saints.

No. 8: The Eagles.

No. 7: The Texans.

No. 6: The Steelers.

No. 5: The Ravens.

No. 4: The 49ers.

No. 3: The Giants.

No. 2: The Patriots.

No. 1: The Packers.[
Old 07-20-2013   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Ravens weren't a top 10 contender last year.
PFT had Ravens at #5 in 2012. No matter, the midgets at PFT know about as much about pro football as Jerruh Jones and his son, Boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Anyone else excited that this is the last week of no football? Fri is training camp and two weeks after that we are playing the Vikings.
Yeah, I'm pumped.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2013   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Florio and the team at PFT don't really like the Texans much anyway since he's been picking other teams to win the division the last 2 years so this is no surprise. The Texans really didn't help the situation either by playing so poorly at the end of the season. I would have put us around 6 or 7 so I can't really complain about this all that much.
Florio is a tool. I listen to him on In the Loop on Fridays and although entertaining still a tool.

How can anyone pick the Titans or Colts to finish 1st in the division. Neither team has the talent that we do and our coaching staff is head and shoulders above theirs.

Haters do what they do best, hate.

Old 07-20-2013   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

They haven't ranked the 9 teams ahead of the Texans yet. But by omission of the teams not on the list, here is what I came up with.

9. Bengals - The Texans have had their number in the playoffs the past 2 years. Don't see anything Cincy has done to assume that would change.
8. Ravens - They are the defending champs, though they've lost a lot in this offseason. I think they are in real danger to slip out of the playoffs entirely.
7. Saints - Still not sure why the return of head coach Sean Payton will help the one of the very worst defenses in the NFL.
6. Patriots - I think they are a paper tiger, considering all of their offseason losses and turmoil. But they do have Tom Brady, so I guess that fact alone ranks them ahead of many teams.
5. Falcons - Often compared to the Texans in terms of regular season success but playoff disappointment.
4. Packers - They've proven that they should be ranked ahead of the Texans.
3. Broncos - Very similar talent base to the Texans. One has Peyton Manning, the other doesn't.
2. Seahawks - I still think this team has holes. But what they do well (defense and controlling they ball), they do as well as anyone.
1. 49ers - Should go into the 2013 as the favorite.

I would rank the Texans around 6 or 7. But if we see the Matt Schaub of December/January, then there may be a struggle just to win the division. I have to agree with the jest of the blog piece. The 2013 season is about which Matt Schaub shows up.
Old 07-20-2013   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Bah humbug on Payton Manning. For all his publicity, he's got one ring. I'll take Tom Brady over him any day of the week. And as to Schaub, this is the very last year I'm going easy on him if he doesn't start producing when it counts. He's done some fine things for us in the past, but has yet to do what top notch Super Bowl QBs do. We'll see. I think he's capable, but I want to SEE it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #11
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Bah humbug on Payton Manning. For all his publicity, he's got one ring. I'll take Tom Brady over him any day of the week. And as to Schaub, this is the very last year I'm going easy on him if he doesn't start producing when it counts. He's done some fine things for us in the past, but has yet to do what top notch Super Bowl QBs do. We'll see. I think he's capable, but I want to SEE it.
Schaub is 32 years old. He is the QB that he is. If we win the SB we are going to have to run the ball and play defense.

Old 07-20-2013   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
OK I will take the 3 rings as a fan but really how much of that reflects on the QB?

Brady 3 SB wins - 9 points total over the opponents.
Manning 1 SB win - 12 points.
Aikman - 3 SB wins - 62 points.

I don't know of the most die hard Cowboys fan who would argue Aikman is a better QB than Manning or Brady. I am sure someone has a chromosome deficient example otherwise.

Now Aikman was the turtle during the regular season and became the hare in the post-season. People don't give him credit for that.
Old 07-20-2013   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Schaub is 32 years old. He is the QB that he is. If we win the SB we are going to have to run the ball and play defense.

I sure would have liked to see that run game or defense in our last game.

Like iCak said, the play offs are a totally different thing. Flacco is Jeckyl/Hyde when we're talking regular/post season. Schaub's been in two play-off games... maybe we just haven't seen who he really is.
Old 07-20-2013   #14
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Definitely. Then 5 full months of continuous football into February!
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #15
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Definitely. Then 5 full months of continuous football into February!
And 5 moew months of us blessed by your trash talking of anything that has to do with the texans.
Old 07-20-2013   #16
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub may be 32, but Brady is 36 and Manning is a year older than that and
those guys can't go on forever at the level of play they've had historically, especially Manning who has got to be a real risk for reinjury with his medical problems.
If we can get some stability and continuity restored to the right side of our OLine so that our rushing game can find its Mojo, we don't have to stress out about Schaub being unable to step up his game to approach the performances of the Mannings & Bradys so long as he can avoid the pics.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #17
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Schaub may be 32, but Brady is 36 and Manning is a year older than that and
those guys can't go on forever at the level of play they've had historically, especially Manning who has got to be a real risk for reinjury with his medical problems.
If we can get some stability and continuity restored to the right side of our OLine so that our rushing game can find its Mojo, we don't have to stress out about Schaub being unable to step up his game to approach the performances of the Mannings & Bradys so long as he can avoid the pics.
As you said, we need to get better in other areas on and off the field, and hope that Schaub can get us there at his current level. I think he can. He's good enough and gets more than his share of the blame.

Call a good offense. Get the guy another couple of effective WRs.

Last edited by BullBlitz; 07-20-2013 at 06:01 PM.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #18
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmm jaws said 9th best q b and PFT ranks us a ten. Nuff said
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #19
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

10th going into the preseason?

lol ok bro
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
10th going into the preseason?

lol ok bro
The NFL is made up of a few good teams & a bunch of bad teams. Being ranked 10th means we're the best of the bad, or at least into the "not so bad" range.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read