Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-18-2013   #1
Bert Orange
Rookie

Default JJ Watt can jump 5ft in the air (well, almost)

Only 59.5" - weak sauce

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...005724563.html
Bert Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222469 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Watt can jump 5ft in the air (well, almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Orange View Post
Yeah.

He's JAG.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #3
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109144 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yeah.

He's JAG.
JJ who?

Just kidding. That was awesome.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I've tried the link on two different computers and my phone and it doesn't work.

What an I not getting.

Nvm. I just searched for it, but that link brings up a blank page for me.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222469 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I've tried the link on two different computers and my phone and it doesn't work.

What an I not getting.

Nvm. I just searched for it, but that link brings up a blank page for me.
Try this.

I had to go to Yahoo to see it.
Old 07-18-2013   #6
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected

He posted a bad link

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-18-2013   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Makes you glad you're not an opposing NFL QB.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-19-2013   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Makes me think of how far he can jump sideways, because that's what's often getting him sacks.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013   #9
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Try this.

I had to go to Yahoo to see it.
Thank you. That's just amazing!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013   #10
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

We couldn't afford to keep Mario last year. Is there any way we'll be able to come up with the coin it'll take to keep JJ on board? I just can't see the Texans letting him get away but at what expense to the rest of the team?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

JJ will be like AJ: Texans for life!
Old 07-19-2013   #12
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51561 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the difference between a standing and sitting vertical? I know Cush did a 52 inch "sitting vertical" and I know he was literally sitting down before he jumped but how much harder is one to do than the other? Do they serve different purposes as far as training goes?
Old 07-19-2013   #13
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected

It is incredibly unlikely that the Texans let jj walk. They'll probably get rid of guys like ninja, manning, tate, etc in the next few years to clear space for cush and watt. When schaub and/or andre are gone in the next five years, they'll finally have some cap to play with.

I could seriously see them cutting andre or schaub in two years to make room for watt if necessary.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-19-2013   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
What's the difference between a standing and sitting vertical? I know Cush did a 52 inch "sitting vertical" and I know he was literally sitting down before he jumped but how much harder is one to do than the other? Do they serve different purposes as far as training goes?
A sitting vertical is harder than a standing vertical.

The sitting vertical is based on the concept of the "box squat" which is common in powerlifting training. With the box squat, you put the bar on your back, sit down on a box, pause, and then stand up. By sitting and pausing, you remove the spring effect from the elasticity of your muscles. In a regular squat, if you just go down and then come back up with the weight, there's extra kinetic energy stored in your muscles that you can use to get more explosiveness. It's like a rubber band thing. You stretch the muscle and it wants to snap back to its normal shape. But the longer you hold it, the less it wants to snap back.

So by going from a standing position, dropping down, and then exploding back up, JJ was able to use that stored kinetic energy. By sitting down and pausing, Cush dampened it and made the jump harder on himself.
Old 07-19-2013   #15
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Are there really people who think Watt will not be a Texan for life? He is McNairs ideal player personified! Good kid, great with the community, stays out of trouble, loved by all and he can play some pretty damn good football.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013   #16
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51561 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A sitting vertical is harder than a standing vertical.

The sitting vertical is based on the concept of the "box squat" which is common in powerlifting training. With the box squat, you put the bar on your back, sit down on a box, pause, and then stand up. By sitting and pausing, you remove the spring effect from the elasticity of your muscles. In a regular squat, if you just go down and then come back up with the weight, there's extra kinetic energy stored in your muscles that you can use to get more explosiveness. It's like a rubber band thing. You stretch the muscle and it wants to snap back to its normal shape. But the longer you hold it, the less it wants to snap back.

So by going from a standing position, dropping down, and then exploding back up, JJ was able to use that stored kinetic energy. By sitting down and pausing, Cush dampened it and made the jump harder on himself.
Thank you, I gotta spread it around though...
Old 07-19-2013   #17
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 18057 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
We couldn't afford to keep Mario last year. Is there any way we'll be able to come up with the coin it'll take to keep JJ on board? I just can't see the Texans letting him get away but at what expense to the rest of the team?
He's in his 2nd year and he's the best defensive player in the NFL. There's no way you let him go. As much as it pains to say it but if I had to choose between Cushing and Watt, i'd pick Watt.

But Cushing is a freak and I hope we keep both.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013   #18
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
He's in his 2nd year and he's the best defensive player in the NFL. There's no way you let him go. As much as it pains to say it but if I had to choose between Cushing and Watt, i'd pick Watt.

But Cushing is a freak and I hope we keep both.
Let's hope we don't have to choose. We also have KJ's contract coming up soon.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013   #19
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 82763 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Let's hope we don't have to choose. We also have KJ's contract coming up soon.
I'd prefer you not say we.....
Old 07-26-2013   #20
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
J.J. Watt put on a monstrous performance in 2012. If you happen to be a critic claiming there is no chance he can duplicate his dominance, please don't tell Mr. Watt.

"Why not? Why not? Don't sit here and tell me what I can and can't do," Watt said Thursday.

Not only does the Houston Texans defensive lineman plan to replicate his 20.5-sack season, he plans to enhance his performance in 2013.

"I'm going to be better," he said. "Just watch."

When asked about how he will respond when teams scheme for him with double and triple teams this season -- as if they didn't last year -- Watt dismissed the idea as folly.

"If you want to focus all your attention on me, a) it's not guaranteed to work and b) you have to worry about the 10 other guys on the field with me," he said. "And I'm very fortunate to have 10 great other players on the field with me. I'm also not going to give up just because I've got three or four guys on me. I'm going to get that sack."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ans-just-watch
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read