Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-17-2013   #81
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I'm pretty sure finding guys who are "cheap" to play the QB spot is not a good idea at all. The Texans are probably looking for Schaub's replacement, but as 90% of the NFL has shown us, finding a great QB is no small task at all. I mean look at who the Chiefs have had playing QB for the last 20 years, or the Bears, or the Lions or the Browns or one of the other myriad of teams who draft, trade for, and start terrible QB's.

Kubiak got us a decent QB after the David Carr experience, I'll trust him to try to do the same thing after Schaub.
Yes, he did. I'm probably way off base here with nothing to go on but my gut feeling but it's been kicked around a few times here.

That gut feeling being I would not be at all surprised to see Kubes and Rick do a Matt Schaub V2.0. That being calling his old mentor Big Shanny and working a deal that puts Kirk Cousins in a Texans uni.

Granted his playing time has been somewhat limited but when he played, he played well and he knows the system.

Prolly won't happen but if it did I wouldn't be at all surprised and very pleased.

Just my

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #82
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Yes, he did. I'm probably way off base here with nothing to go on but my gut feeling but it's been kicked around a few times here.

That gut feeling being I would not be at all surprised to see Kubes and Rick do a Matt Schaub V2.0. That being calling his old mentor Big Shanny and working a deal that puts Kirk Cousins in a Texans uni.

Granted his playing time has been somewhat limited but when he played, he played well and he knows the system.

Prolly won't happen but if it did I wouldn't be at all surprised and very pleased.

Just my
If I'm Shannie, I'm not so sure I do that deal. Until RGIII shows that he's not going to get himself killed OR The Shannies show that they're not going to kill RGIII with their play-calling, I'm expecting them to keep Cousins around as a really nice insurance policy.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #83
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Guys better than schaub at qb arent coming out on the FA market...the manning situation was the exception not the rule..

Its all about the draft......
All I hear are a bunch of excuses.

I don't care that the Manning situation doesn't happen all the time. The point is that when opportunities do arise you can't capitalize if you aren't prepared to or wanting to.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #84
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I read a lot of the same stuff in these threads and it always ties back to misguided hate. A lot of you hate Schaub and want him removed, what's your solution?

Go get Alex Smith at the end of the season? I promise you Schaub is better.

Let TJ Yates run the show? LOL, I promise that dude sucks. When his rookie contract is up he will likely be out of the NFL if he can't find a team that keeps 3 QBs on the 53 man roster.

Go draft RusWil in the 3rd? I promise a lot of teams have tried for years and haven't done it yet. And let's not give these rookies the Lombardi trophy just yet. I want to see how all of them do in their 2nd year (that includes RG3 and Luck). I've got a lot of money with friends riding on Seahawks missing playoffs.

Go use a 1st round pick on a QB when we have a 2 year window to win a Super Bowl? This leads to a lifetime of mediocrity not addressing key positions when it's time to strike.

Jaws knows football quarterbacks better than most. Jaws stood on top of his desk yelling about how Flacco could make "all the throws" and everyone else just laughed at him and called him an idiot. 1 Super Bowl MVP later people aren't laughing anymore.
I dont hate Schaub, in fact I like him.

I dont think you can win a SB with Schaub as a 16 game + playoffs starter, due to his foot injuries. How that makes me a hater is beyond me.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #85
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Guys better than schaub at qb arent coming out on the FA market...the manning situation was the exception not the rule..

Its all about the draft......
The Manning situation, Favre situation, Warner situation, Cutler situation, Brees situation, Hasselbeck situation. A situation that didn't work out but was a bold move, Carson Palmer top the Raiders and then the Cardinals taking another gamble on Palmer

In the draft recently you have the E. Manning/Rivers situation, the RG3 situation, Kaepernick, R.Wilson situations.

So yes this situations happen more often than you you think. But it takes a bold move. If Schaub doesn't get it done this yr I hope Gary/Rick makes a bold move like these. Gary made his bold move bringing in Schaub and it may be time for another bold move.
Old 07-17-2013   #86
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The Manning situation, Favre situation, Warner situation, Cutler situation, Brees situation, Hasselbeck situation. A situation that didn't work out but was a bold move, Carson Palmer top the Raiders and then the Cardinals taking another gamble on Palmer

In the draft recently you have the E. Manning/Rivers situation, the RG3 situation, Kaepernick, R.Wilson situations.

So yes this situations happen more often than you you think. But it takes a bold move. If Schaub doesn't get it done this yr I hope Gary/Rick makes a bold move like these. Gary made his bold move bringing in Schaub and it may be time for another bold move.
Unlike you, I think Schaub can take us to the promised land. I don't put as much stock in the QB as some people. I don't consider some SB winning QBs as all that great.

BUT... I agree that it may be time for another bold move at the QB position. This year (or next year) might be Schaub's last chance with the Texans.

OTOH, when you were mentioning all the QB moves that have been made, you mostly mentioned the successful ones. You didn't mention the Cassel situation, the Vince Young (in Philly and Buffalo) situations, the Michael Vick situation (still in progress, I suppose), the Ryan Fitzpatrick situation, the Josh Freeman situation, the Blaine Gabbert situation, the Jimmy Clausen situation, the Colt McCoy situation, the John Beck situation, ... all moves that for one reason or another haven't worked out.
Old 07-17-2013   #87
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

steelb, do you think he has the "hangie downies" to do that or do you think Rick would just say "this is what I'm gonna do?"

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #88
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Another person mentioned a LOT of failures. Look at the Raiders for example. They blew that team up and now will be the #1 pick AKA last place in the league for the next 2 years likely.

Bold moves can bury a good organization or greatly help a terrible one. We aren't terrible and therefore don't need it. The Houston Texans are trending UP. We are getting better each year, and if we can avoid disaster in the form of injury I believe the sky is the limit here. Let's make bold moves when the time comes, but today, let's play this season out. AFCCG or then let's look at the draft, 4 premiere QBs coming out next year, maybe even 6.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #89
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
steelb, do you think he has the "hangie downies" to do that or do you think Rick would just say "this is what I'm gonna do?"
I think Rick will do what Gary tells him to do when it comes to who Gary wants on his offense. Likewise with Wade and the defense.

If Schaub continues his late seaslon decline next yr I could see Gary growing a pair and making a move. The question is would he trade for an established NFL QB, (Cousins) or move up in the draft and pick a Bridgewater/Boyd/Fales/McCarron/Murray etc....

If Casey Pachall is straightened out he would be my pick in the 2/3rd rd. This doesn't even include Johnny Football.
Old 07-17-2013   #90
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Another person mentioned a LOT of failures. Look at the Raiders for example. They blew that team up and now will be the #1 pick AKA last place in the league for the next 2 years likely.

Bold moves can bury a good organization or greatly help a terrible one. We aren't terrible and therefore don't need it. The Houston Texans are trending UP. We are getting better each year, and if we can avoid disaster in the form of injury I believe the sky is the limit here. Let's make bold moves when the time comes, but today, let's play this season out. AFCCG or then let's look at the draft, 4 premiere QBs coming out next year, maybe even 6.
Agreed,

They are probably going to let this yr play out and if Schaub performs poorly they will look for his eventual replacement.
Old 07-18-2013   #91
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Agreed,

They are probably going to let this yr play out and if Schaub performs poorly they will look for his eventual replacement.
This is what I've been saying. We've had other positions that we've had to fix the past couple of years and we've had a QB who was at the very least very serviceable. I think we've done a lot to plug a lot of important holes the past couple of drafts and that should set us up to go after a QB in next year's draft if we have to. And we could come away with an awesome QB without even having to break the bank to trade up into the first few picks of the first round.

I'm not even sure if Schaub has to perform that poorly for them to make the change.

But with Kubiak's known mistrust of rookies, I don't expect this new QB to start immediately. So that means -- barring some complete meltdown -- Schaub is probably our starter for the next two seasons.
Old 07-18-2013   #92
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the fact that Rick Smith came out, in front of everyone, and said "Schaub needs to step up in big situations." is as close as the Texans' front office will come to saying "Crap or get off the pot, Matt. Get it done - THIS YEAR."

Usually when Smithiak makes those sort of "so-and-so needs to play better..." statements, the guy rises to the challenge or Smith soon finds his replacement.

I won't say Schaub is on the hot seat, but its not far from it.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #93
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
But with Kubiak's known mistrust of rookies, I don't expect this new QB to start immediately. So that means -- barring some complete meltdown -- Schaub is probably our starter for the next two seasons.
I cannot see that. I don't see kubiak drafting Schaub's replacement and having Schaub hanging in the wind.

Texans don't really jerk guys around like that. I think either Schaub will be here, they'll trade up or take a qb very high that they feel comfortable starting early on, or they'll let Yates and keenum battle for the job with perhaps a good rookie in the mix.

I just don't see them creating an awkward situation on the team where everyone knows Schaub is on his way out and this young hot shot rookie is here to take his spot because Schaub didn't perform how they wanted him to.
Old 07-18-2013   #94
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:

This is the nfl. Trending up means nothing.

The teams that have trended up have not been as successful as the teams that have just jumped up and won superbowls.

We've been trending up for 7 years. Trending in the NFL is fools gold. With free agency, injuries, guys not performing as expected...you can't afford to have someone as important as the qb melting down during the stretch run. Not sucking is one thing...being ok..mediocre...not throwing the game away....

But playing poorly is not going to cut it.
Old 07-18-2013   #95
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

We've got another 2-3 years of Matt until we can't keept his core of player together unless he gets hurt again.

- Matt Schaub
- Andre Johnson
- Chris Myers
- Daniel Manning
- Duane Brown
- Owen Daniels

Adding Ed Reed we have another good 2-3 years at our superbowl we'll have to make it happen soon or else we get a ridiculous good draft in the next 2-3 years.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #96
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think the starting job belongs to Matt Schaub unless Tj Yates wins it after a Matt Schau injury (I'm not hoping for this to happen, or looking forward to it)

If Matt goes down due to injury & Yates does not light it up, Yates' time with Houston is done. If Matt is out long enough that Keenum gets a shot, he'll have his opportunity. If he doesn't play well enough that Kubiak can say, "He's our new starter." He'll be a back up again & Schaub will be the starter when he comes back.

Depending on how they feel about Schaub at that time will determine how aggressive they are in filling that role. Being that Schaub will be a year closer to Tom Brady's age now I doubt they'll be as aggressive as many here would hope.

Schaub is pretty similar to Carson Palmer. The Bengals felt they needed to get aggressive to find his replacement & Palmer forced a trade. We know of at least two teams that still think of Palmer as a starting QB in this league.

Unless they know that something is really going on with Schaub's foot, I don't see the Texans moving on from Matt Schaub anytime soon. His contract was set up for him to be very successful in 2012 or 2013 & have an opportunity to earn the money Flacco, Stafford, & Romo got. It wasn't set up to cut bait after next season.
Old 07-18-2013   #97
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
We've got another 2-3 years of Matt until we can't keept his core of player together unless he gets hurt again.

- Matt Schaub
- Andre Johnson
- Chris Myers
- Daniel Manning
- Duane Brown
- Owen Daniels

Adding Ed Reed we have another good 2-3 years at our superbowl we'll have to make it happen soon or else we get a ridiculous good draft in the next 2-3 years.
With the exception of Schaub (unless you're really optimistic about either Yates or Keenum) and Brown, every one of those guys possible departure has been addressed via (in the same order you listed them) Deandre Hopkins, Ben Jones, D.J. Swearinger, and Garrett Graham. How they'll turn out, who knows, but Jones and Graham have given us reason for cautious optimism, and the other two are rookies, so while we've seen some positive comments come out of OTA's, the reality is there's no reason to assume either good or bad things about their future. The good news is that with the clear and obvious exception of Andre, none of these guys is so good that it's unrealistic to believe that their replacements can't play at pretty much the same level they currently are. The point is the pending areas of need have already been very specifically addressed.

As far as Schaub goes, while I'm probably a little more optimistic about his 2013 prospects than many, the reality is when we do need to replace him, it's not like we're looking for a replacement for Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, or Peyton Manning. We're looking for a replacement for an above average QB. If - on the other hand - he does surprise many of us with an effective 2013 season (including playoffs), he's a 32 year old QB who doesn't rely heavily on his physical assets for his effectiveness. If he played another 4-5 years, he certainly wouldn't be unique in that regard.

Finally, IMO, Brown absolutely doesn't belong on that list. He just signed a 7 year contract, and he's 28 years old (at the beginning of this season). If you're good enough (and he clearly is), it's absolutely not uncommon for O-linemen to play well into their 30's. There's no reason to believe Duane Brown's time with the Texans will be limited to the 2-3 years you mention.
Old 07-18-2013   #98
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
...he's a 32 year old QB who doesn't rely heavily on his physical assets for his effectiveness. If he played another 4-5 years, he certainly wouldn't be unique in that regard.
I think we overstate the physical assets when we're talking about QBs.

Matt Schaub has averaged over 90 in QBR (NFL.com) & has thrown for (or been on track to throw for) 4000 yards in the past 5 seasons. & we've been winning more than not over that time..... it's not like there are a bunch of garbage stats/yards in there.

He's got it upstairs & that's not easy to replace.

I understand we've got a QB friendly system, but we've seen others in this system not do so well. Plummer never had those numbers, John Beck, Grossman, & a bunch of other guys who played in that system. I can't think of anyone, but John Elway, who has been as productive as Schaub in this system.

32+ QBs will start in 2013, but there are not 32 starting QBs in the NFL. We've got one.
Old 07-18-2013   #99
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
With the exception of Schaub (unless you're really optimistic about either Yates or Keenum) and Brown, every one of those guys possible departure has been addressed via (in the same order you listed them) Deandre Hopkins, Ben Jones, D.J. Swearinger, and Garrett Graham. How they'll turn out, who knows, but Jones and Graham have given us reason for cautious optimism, and the other two are rookies, so while we've seen some positive comments come out of OTA's, the reality is there's no reason to assume either good or bad things about their future. The good news is that with the clear and obvious exception of Andre, none of these guys is so good that it's unrealistic to believe that their replacements can't play at pretty much the same level they currently are. The point is the pending areas of need have already been very specifically addressed.

As far as Schaub goes, while I'm probably a little more optimistic about his 2013 prospects than many, the reality is when we do need to replace him, it's not like we're looking for a replacement for Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, or Peyton Manning. We're looking for a replacement for an above average QB. If - on the other hand - he does surprise many of us with an effective 2013 season (including playoffs), he's a 32 year old QB who doesn't rely heavily on his physical assets for his effectiveness. If he played another 4-5 years, he certainly wouldn't be unique in that regard.

Finally, IMO, Brown absolutely doesn't belong on that list. He just signed a 7 year contract, and he's 28 years old (at the beginning of this season). If you're good enough (and he clearly is), it's absolutely not uncommon for O-linemen to play well into their 30's. There's no reason to believe Duane Brown's time with the Texans will be limited to the 2-3 years you mention.
MSR. Good post.
Old 07-19-2013   #100
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
This is the nfl. Trending up means nothing.

The teams that have trended up have not been as successful as the teams that have just jumped up and won superbowls.

We've been trending up for 7 years. Trending in the NFL is fools gold. With free agency, injuries, guys not performing as expected...you can't afford to have someone as important as the qb melting down during the stretch run. Not sucking is one thing...being ok..mediocre...not throwing the game away....

But playing poorly is not going to cut it.
I have to completely disagree. Just look at the Baltimore Ravens. Those guys have been trending up each year constantly deep in the playoffs or in the AFC championship game... they just won a Super Bowl.

I also disagree with the Texans trending up the past 7 years. I remember in 2010 we had one of the worst defenses in the NFL and tied for last place in our division (obviously missing playoffs). In 2011 our D got better and we finally snuck into the playoffs and scraped out a win. Last year we kicked A in our division whipped ass in a playoff game. Then our wounded D got 41 points put up against them in a playoff game and we were bounced out.

All in all I see a 2 year trend upwards, we are putting the pieces in place and I'm excited moving forward. If you want to blow this team up before the season starts go ahead and see how many front offices will hire you as a GM. Me, I like this hand that's been dealt and plan on holding it to the river (seeing this through).

Side Note... Cap strapped teams don't cut QBs that will cost their team $13.5 mill against the cap. All these arguments are null and void. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/ Most likely scenario he gets his contract restructured at the end of this season depending on the results of the season and we see where we are then.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read