Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2013   #201
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Manziel is doing what most famous 20 yr old kids would be doing in this situation. He's probably been this way most of his life. His dad is an oilfield guy and his grandfather was a cockfighting legend. This is a way of life for his family. It's nothing new, but it doesn't sit well with the Aggies.

With that said most Aggies would sell their souls for another win against Saban and Alabama at Kyle field this yr. Dont count on it, I'm sure you will have your built in scapegoat. (Manziel) When in truth the A&M program would still be a relative little sisters of the poor without Manziel.

BTW, didn't Manziel get arrested last yr before he became the starting QB at A&M? What's changed? Manziel winning a Heisman? A&M becoming relevant in college football? There's a trade off, and winning conquers all. Even if Aggies wont admit it. You cant win big in sports with a chiorboy mentality that some/most Aggies want/seem to have.
Old 07-16-2013   #202
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no idea wtf you're trying to say, but yes, he was arrested last spring.

johnny is an immature ****, but god damnit, he's ****in' great at football
Old 07-16-2013   #203
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
I have no idea wtf you're trying to say, but yes, he was arrested last spring.

johnny is an immature ****, but god damnit, he's ****in' great at football
If your addressing my post, I'm saying Manziel has done more for Aggie football than any player in the last 50 yrs. (Made them relevant in the SEC) and the studentbody/cops/Bryan, College Station citizenry are doing everything they can to make his life as hard as possible there.

Cant a 20 yr old college kid be a 20 yr old college kid? When Johnny Football is gone after next yr and A&M falls back into irrelevance again they will have nobody to blame but themselves. They wont be as bad as the Coach Fran yrs, which really provided great humor for other colleges around the state, but I wouldn't count on finishing in the top 10 again any time soon.

BTW, how many confrence championships has Sumlin won? I could see him winning 8-10 games a yr for the next 4-5 yrs with Sherman's guys and then giving A&M the Gillispie maneuver.

Hope that helps clarify my previous post.
Old 07-16-2013   #204
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of the posters here sound like oldfarts at a barbershop (Except for steelb which is baffling to me). If Manziel is out there on Saturday's throwing the ball and doing what he did in 2012 most of the people dogging him in this thread will either be cheering him on or will keep it to themselves.

And most A&M fans will probably tell you, if he's Johnny Football on Saturdays then they don't give a **** if he's Johnny Partyboy on Friday nights.
Old 07-16-2013   #205
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Glad to baffle you, I will be of service any time you like.

You are a hard man to baffle.

LOL
Old 07-16-2013   #206
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

There was issues in Kerrville also. He needs to hopefully grow up a little bit.
Old 07-16-2013   #207
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bama will crush aTm in college station. I do mean crush. Payback is a mofo
Old 07-16-2013   #208
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 31037 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Manziel is doing what most famous 20 yr old kids would be doing in this situation. He's probably been this way most of his life. His dad is an oilfield guy and his grandfather was a cockfighting legend. This is a way of life for his family. It's nothing new, but it doesn't sit well with the Aggies.
True, and that is why most famous 20 year old kids become 22 year old has-beens. (I'm looking at you, Lindsay Lohan.)

Overheard in 2015: "Who's the angry homeless drunk in the corner?" "That's Johnny Manziel. Won the Heisman a couple of years ago." "Really? Wow, that's sad."

At the rate he is going, while Bridgewater and Boyd are starting for NFL teams, Johnny will be trying to weedle a loan so he can get some action down on the next cockfight.

Quote:
With that said most Aggies would sell their souls for another win against Saban and Alabama at Kyle field this yr. Dont count on it, I'm sure you will have your built in scapegoat. (Manziel) When in truth the A&M program would still be a relative little sisters of the poor without Manziel.
No, not just a win over Alabama, needs to be a National Championship. If Manziel doesn't make the improvement in play you should expect between the first and second year, yeah people will think he probably didn't work very hard on football, and that he may have even been drunk or hungover (errr, "dehydrated") during the games. That is 100% on him for working so hard to create that impression. And A&M has done a lot more for Manziel than vice versa.

Quote:
BTW, didn't Manziel get arrested last yr before he became the starting QB at A&M? What's changed? Manziel winning a Heisman? A&M becoming relevant in college football? There's a trade off, and winning conquers all. Even if Aggies wont admit it. You cant win big in sports with a chiorboy mentality that some/most Aggies want/seem to have.
Being the starting QB instead of a 3rd stringer who has never been in a game? Yes, it makes a difference. And he should be a year more mature. Instead he is building a pattern. And you are right, if he can roll out of the locker room drunk off his butt and lead the team to an undefeated season then that's awesome. As to the silly "choirboys can't win" no one is demanding angels. But I don't see how having your star player being drunk 7 nights a week and hungover 7 mornings a week improves your chances of winning.
Old 07-17-2013   #209
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112833 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

We'll be fine when Manziel leaves. I believe in Kevin Sumlin and his system.
But yeah, Manziel needs to be in Championship or bust attitude. This is the statement year if he's planning on leaving for the draft.

As for the Bama game, I don't think we'll be crushed. We might lose a tight game, but not crushed. We have some cream puffs prior to the bama game for the team to get acclimated to football. Hopefully they'll be back in the swing of things when the tide comes to Kyle. The 12th Man, myself iincluded (got my damn sports pass) will be waiting for them to help out our team win this thing.
Manziel, just bring us home.
Old 07-17-2013   #210
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point I'll be surprised if JM has a great year.

I don't think he's fully committed to football and I don't know if he's that much better than everyone else where he can afford for that to be the case.
Old 07-17-2013   #211
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

I don't think he's fully committed to football and I don't know if he's that much better than everyone else where he can afford for that to be the case.
I guess you are in for a surprise.
If this was happening during the season or a week or so before the season started I could understand.
But all this happened in the offseason. Plus people were positive he would play poorly in the CB due to all the hoopla for the award season and the heisman and he destroyed OU.

So I think you are a bit premature with your thinking. Or you are just a hater.
Old 07-17-2013   #212
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
I guess you are in for a surprise.
If this was happening during the season or a week or so before the season started I could understand.
But all this happened in the offseason. Plus people were positive he would play poorly in the CB due to all the hoopla for the award season and the heisman and he destroyed OU.

So I think you are a bit premature with your thinking. Or you are just a hater.

How you take my comments as being a hater is beyond me, but maybe you're just a jock rider. If that's is the case, then I fully understand.

Maybe you should tuck your emotions away for a second.
Old 07-17-2013   #213
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
True, and that is why most famous 20 year old kids become 22 year old has-beens. (I'm looking at you, Lindsay Lohan.)

Overheard in 2015: "Who's the angry homeless drunk in the corner?" "That's Johnny Manziel. Won the Heisman a couple of years ago." "Really? Wow, that's sad."

At the rate he is going, while Bridgewater and Boyd are starting for NFL teams, Johnny will be trying to weedle a loan so he can get some action down on the next cockfight.

No, not just a win over Alabama, needs to be a National Championship. If Manziel doesn't make the improvement in play you should expect between the first and second year, yeah people will think he probably didn't work very hard on football, and that he may have even been drunk or hungover (errr, "dehydrated") during the games. That is 100% on him for working so hard to create that impression. And A&M has done a lot more for Manziel than vice versa.

Being the starting QB instead of a 3rd stringer who has never been in a game? Yes, it makes a difference. And he should be a year more mature. Instead he is building a pattern. And you are right, if he can roll out of the locker room drunk off his butt and lead the team to an undefeated season then that's awesome. As to the silly "choirboys can't win" no one is demanding angels. But I don't see how having your star player being drunk 7 nights a week and hungover 7 mornings a week improves your chances of winning.
Manziel is from a wealthy family, his family is the type that are successful at whatever they do. (Competitive people tend to be successful and have addiction issues. they are all in at whatever they do. Business/playing football/drinking etc.) I wouldn't worry about Johnny football ending up in the poor house.

If he was drunk/hungover last yr on thfield, Aggies need to buy him a shot before every game next yr. Tell me how has A&M for Manziel done more for A&M than Manziel has done for A&M? When he became the starting QB most Aggies would have been happy with a winning record in their 1st yr in the SEC. Now Manziel has them in the hunt for a national championship. So again, how is it that A&M has done more for Manziel.

I wouldn't count on A&M winning a national title this yr. They lost too much off their defense. Let Sumlin win the 1st confrence title in his career before the NC talk begins.

As far as the drunk/hungover thingy, Manziel seemed to do quite well like this last yr. (He led his team) I think the championship or bust mentality that A&M is putting on Manziel is unfair.

The good thing, being a Longhorn fan is that the Bryan/College Station crowd is doing everthing they can to make sure top notch recruits will look elsewhere if the recruitment process is close between A&M and another school after seeing how they treat a Heisman winner.
Old 07-17-2013   #214
Stemp
Brew Master

Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How you take my comments as being a hater is beyond me, but maybe you're just a jock rider. If that's is the case, then I fully understand.

Wow take things personally much? Not only did I give reasons but I said OR you are just a hater. And I put an emoticon. Get your panties out of its twist.
Old 07-17-2013   #215
Stemp
Brew Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The good thing, being a Longhorn fan is that the Bryan/College Station crowd is doing everthing they can to make sure top notch recruits will look elsewhere if the recruitment process is close between A&M and another school after seeing how they treat a Heisman winner.
You could make a tornado with that kind of spin. Lol.
Old 07-17-2013   #216
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You do sound like a hater.

That said, Manziel has got to get his act together. I don't blame him for partying, but get your ****ing act together when it involves going to a football camp led by football royalty like the Mannings. Not to mention he crushed the hopes of some high school kids who had gotten all excited about getting trained by Johnny Football.

He has some growing up to do. There is no question about that but until he shows himself to be unprepared in an actual game, you'd sound like less of a hater to tone down those comments. It makes you sound foolish or just anti-A&M.
Old 07-17-2013   #217
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
You do sound like a hater.

That said, Manziel has got to get his act together. I don't blame him for partying, but get your ****ing act together when it involves going to a football camp led by football royalty like the Mannings. Not to mention he crushed the hopes of some high school kids who had gotten all excited about getting trained by Johnny Football.

He has some growing up to do. There is no question about that but until he shows himself to be unprepared in an actual game, you'd sound like less of a hater to tone down those comments. It makes you sound foolish or just anti-A&M.
I don't see how he has to get his act together when he has yet to step on the field for a 2013 football game. All of this nonsense about his partying habits during the offseason will completely disappear if he goes back to being "that kid from Kerrville who can ball".

If he plays 2013 like a hungover 20 year old then yeah, I can see where all of this is coming from, but this is entirely way too premature since he hasn't played yet. All of this stuff sounds like old-farts who want their college football players to be all "nose in the playbook" and to not have a life outside of the pigskin. That's all well and good, but if a guy parties a lot off the field and kicks ass on the field you know A&M fans won't say a peep about it.
Old 07-17-2013   #218
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197411 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bingo!
Old 07-17-2013   #219
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't see how he has to get his act together when he has yet to step on the field for a 2013 football game. All of this nonsense about his partying habits during the offseason will completely disappear if he goes back to being "that kid from Kerrville who can ball".

If he plays 2013 like a hungover 20 year old then yeah, I can see where all of this is coming from, but this is entirely way too premature since he hasn't played yet. All of this stuff sounds like old-farts who want their college football players to be all "nose in the playbook" and to not have a life outside of the pigskin. That's all well and good, but if a guy parties a lot off the field and kicks ass on the field you know A&M fans won't say a peep about it.
Re-read my post. I said that I really don't care about his partying. Hasn't been all that long since I was his age, and I STILL like to party a little. My problem with Manziel is what he did at the Manning football camp. He could have kept himself straight for one weekend. It concerns me that he couldn't do that.

That said, I won't actually "worry" about it until it appears to be damaging his game on the field.
Old 07-17-2013   #220
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Re-read my post. I said that I really don't care about his partying. Hasn't been all that long since I was his age, and I STILL like to party a little. My problem with Manziel is what he did at the Manning football camp. He could have kept himself straight for one weekend. It concerns me that he couldn't do that.

That said, I won't actually "worry" about it until it appears to be damaging his game on the field.
If missing a football camp is the big indicator that you have found for not liking what Manziel is doing this offseason then I think you were just looking for a reason to have a problem with him.

If he's missing practices at A&M that's your warning sign, blowing off a Manning football camp for kids is fairly small potatoes for a college football player in all honesty. At least he's not getting arrested and jailed for felonies (Like we have seen in almost every offseason for college football ever). If he's not giving points to A&M in the Fulmer Cup then it should probably be considered a successful offseason.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read