Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-17-2013   #61
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I read a lot of the same stuff in these threads and it always ties back to misguided hate. A lot of you hate Schaub and want him removed, what's your solution?

Go get Alex Smith at the end of the season? I promise you Schaub is better.

Let TJ Yates run the show? LOL, I promise that dude sucks. When his rookie contract is up he will likely be out of the NFL if he can't find a team that keeps 3 QBs on the 53 man roster.

Go draft RusWil in the 3rd? I promise a lot of teams have tried for years and haven't done it yet. And let's not give these rookies the Lombardi trophy just yet. I want to see how all of them do in their 2nd year (that includes RG3 and Luck). I've got a lot of money with friends riding on Seahawks missing playoffs.

Go use a 1st round pick on a QB when we have a 2 year window to win a Super Bowl? This leads to a lifetime of mediocrity not addressing key positions when it's time to strike.

Jaws knows football quarterbacks better than most. Jaws stood on top of his desk yelling about how Flacco could make "all the throws" and everyone else just laughed at him and called him an idiot. 1 Super Bowl MVP later people aren't laughing anymore.
You should change your user name to 'The Promisor'

Is Schaub a top 10 QB? Depends on who you ask

Can Schaub get us to the SB? Depends on who you ask

Does Schaub have a strong arm? Depends on who you ask

Is Schaub an "elite" QB? Depends on who you ask

See where I'm going here? Rankings = Everyone has theirs and they mean absolutely nothing to me except maybe a smidgeon of entertainment
Old 07-17-2013   #62
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

See where I'm going here? Rankings = Everyone has theirs and they mean absolutely nothing to me except maybe a smidgeon of entertainment
What are you doing here? What is the function of a message board? You can ask similar questions like the ones you just asked on every opinion based topic ever seen on a message board. Thanks for your input though.

I asked for solutions. You changed the direction of the argument in an attempt to mock me. Let's go back 2 posts.... What is your solution?

I think this year everyone will see that Schaub is truly the 9th ranked QB. It's not Schaub's fault Casey and Dre were dropping TDs down the stretch. It's not his fault that defenses had our number down the stretch last year (overload the left side of the line, force Foster to the right, double Andre and have a solid safety cover up OD).

Kevin Walter was absolutely worthless. Everyone talks about his game changing blocking, but the dude was rated below average by Pro Football Focus at blocking and couldn't separate from a wet paper sack let alone an NFL corner.

This is the year. A Schaub led Texan team that can avoid big injuries by our key players and we are AFC Championship game or bust IMO. #9 is about to take us to the dance, I'll bet on that.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Say that reminds me. Remember when San Diego was a perennial play-off team? You know, for a good while there they had no competition in the division. They had LT & Sproles, & Gates, & Merriman, & Wade, & Olshansky & they had a pretty good club.

Never got to the Super Bowl though. It was always one reason or another.

When I see the Schaub hate I think people are thinkinig about those Chargers. Where Phillip Rivers was good, but he wasn't good enough to overcome the mishaps or what not that an NFL team will encounter as they make a run for a Championship.

Looking back it's hard to argue. Rivers had all the stats, his team would win a game in the play offs.... but that was about it.

I get that that could very well be the case. I understand if you believe in your heart of hearts that is the case, then now is the time to find your QB of the future.

Personally I always felt that if you see a guy that you think has what it takes & you can get him without selling your future, go for it. Unless I've got Tom Brady or Peyton Manning I'm not too worried about hurting anyone's feelings (maybe I'd add Brees & Rodgers to that list as well).

But it doesn't upset me that Kubiak didn't feel that Kaepernick or Wilson was that guy, the guy to take that chance on.... It also wouldn't surprise me if he thinks Yates or Keenum is that guy.
Old 07-17-2013   #64
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Say that reminds me. Remember when San Diego was a perennial play-off team? You know, for a good while there they had no competition in the division. They had LT & Sproles, & Gates, & Merriman, & Wade, & Olshansky & they had a pretty good club.

Never got to the Super Bowl though. It was always one reason or another.
I've brought up the Chargers before...But not in relation to Schaub, but the team as a whole.

You have to be able to strike while the iron is hot.

I know Baltimore got some good fortune and got into the SB last year, but they still played really good football on top of all the luck they had.

I don't care to look back in ten years and remember that Schaub put up some good numbers and the team as a whole was good but could never get over the hump. That means zilch to me.

I want a superbowl. And I feel that in football, you should be able to put together a squad good enough to at least make it there once every 10-15 years on average. If you aren't doing that in the NFL then I don't think you'redoing it right. 1 trip to the superbowl every 10-15 years on average is not a lot to ask of for a good organization I don't think.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #65
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Schaub is my biggest worry for this season. He is definitely not a top ten QB. He is around 13/14 and should be pushed lower if the young QBs continue progressing.
About those young qbs...

1's coming off major knee surgery....

1 threw a buttload of ints and had a buttload fumbles

1 has only played a little over half a season...

All of these guys like to run / have to run and take way too many hits.

People need to slow down annointing these guys as better than schaub. Teams now have a year of film on them, and across the board their schedules will be tougher seeing as they all took their teams to the playoffs last year. Wouldn't be surprised if none of these guys made it through the season next year, or they all made little to no progress from their rookie years.

The only one of these guys that seemingly doesnt have any negatives or skepticism attached to them is russell wilson....Dude is smart when he runs and doesnt take hits like the others above...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Jaws played in the era where hitting the qb was legal and concussions weren't recognized.
Many reps for that.
I must admit that I was a bit harsh on Warren Moon.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #67
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

What does that have to do with any "promise" you bolded? He said Schaub is better than Alex, TJ or a 3rd round pick. As he asked, what is your solution?
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #68
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

The solution is to grab cheap guys and groom them until you find one that is better. Or wait until you are in position to draft one that you think is better. Or be aggressive and trade up for one.

Another possible solution would have been to let him walk and chase after Peyton Manning.

Hard to have any possible solution when you aren't actively exploring options.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #69
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
What does that have to do with any "promise" you bolded? He said Schaub is better than Alex, TJ or a 3rd round pick. As he asked, what is your solution?
My post was more sarcasm than worthy

Solution? There is no solution. Schaub is our QB whether we like him or not.

I was goofin with him for the number of "I promise" used. Geesh, lighten up peeps
Old 07-17-2013   #70
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The Texans offense scored 1 td in 16 qtrs at the end of the yr, but the only reason the Texans fell short of their goals was because of the offense. LOL

Maybe just maybe the offense was very poor. Did you notice that the Texans selecte 2 WR's/2 OT's, one high and one low and a TE in this yrs draft. Appartently Gary thought the offense was a big part of the problem judging by how the Texans drafted this past April.
You answer your own question here, SteelB (it was a pleasure to work with you and others in the Mock Draft Forum).

The Texans have given Wade plenty of toys to play with through the draft and FA, wouldn't you say?

Did that provide Schaub with the help he needed last year?
You tell me.
(Love you man BTW).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #71
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The solution is to grab cheap guys and groom them until you find one that is better. Or wait until you are in position to draft one that you think is better. Or be aggressive and trade up for one.

Another possible solution would have been to let him walk and chase after Peyton Manning.

Guys better than schaub at qb arent coming out on the FA market...the manning situation was the exception not the rule..

Its all about the draft......
Old 07-17-2013   #72
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yesterday we had Texans quarterbacks coach Karl Dorrell saying Schaub needs to be a better “crunch time” player. Today Texans General Manager Rick Smith appeared on NFL AM and said that Schaub has to play better in the biggest games, against the best teams.

“Quarterbacks are judged by championships,” Smith said. “That’s just a function of the position. That’s just the reality. And he understands that. He knows that. And he does have to play better in those situations for us to take our team to the next level.”

Smith wasn’t necessarily knocking Schaub — he also referred to Schaub as “tremendously successful” — but he was making a point about where the Texans are as a franchise right now, and where they’re trying to go. A 12-4 record and a playoff win is good, but it’s not good enough for Smith. And if Schaub can’t help the Texans go beyond that this year, Smith may be looking for a new quarterback next year.
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #73
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I think that much is clear to everyone....which is why they went offense in the 1st...
Old 07-17-2013   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know Baltimore got some good fortune and got into the SB last year, but they still played really good football on top of all the luck they had.
When it counted they played some really good football. They played some stinkers in 2012 as well.

Quote:
I don't care to look back in ten years and remember that Schaub put up some good numbers and the team as a whole was good but could never get over the hump. That means zilch to me.
I feel ya.

Quote:
I want a superbowl. And I feel that in football, you should be able to put together a squad good enough to at least make it there once every 10-15 years on average. If you aren't doing that in the NFL then I don't think you'redoing it right. 1 trip to the superbowl every 10-15 years on average is not a lot to ask of for a good organization I don't think.
Sounds reasonable.
Old 07-17-2013   #75
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Guys better than schaub at qb arent coming out on the FA market...the manning situation was the exception not the rule..
Manning was a gamble. If I've got Tebow & Orton on my roster it's a gamble I take.

If I've got Schaub or Phillip Rivers.... I don't.
Old 07-17-2013   #76
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm pretty sure finding guys who are "cheap" to play the QB spot is not a good idea at all. The Texans are probably looking for Schaub's replacement, but as 90% of the NFL has shown us, finding a great QB is no small task at all. I mean look at who the Chiefs have had playing QB for the last 20 years, or the Bears, or the Lions or the Browns or one of the other myriad of teams who draft, trade for, and start terrible QB's.

Kubiak got us a decent QB after the David Carr experience, I'll trust him to try to do the same thing after Schaub.
Old 07-17-2013   #77
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Quote:
Yesterday we had Texans quarterbacks coach Karl Dorrell saying Schaub needs to be a better “crunch time” player. Today Texans General Manager Rick Smith appeared on NFL AM and said that Schaub has to play better in the biggest games, against the best teams.
I found it interesting how many times Kubiak said that Arian seemed to play better on the bigger stages.

I've heard him say the same thing about Andre.

I wondered, "If I were Matt Schaub & my coach said this about my RB & my WR... & we keep failing in those situations...

is he trying to tell me something?"
Old 07-17-2013   #78
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub does need to step up in big games. He isn't blameless in all of this. But he is the best we have for sure and I will stand by that. QBs are not perfect. I remember Brees and Ryan both having a 5 interception 0 TD game last season. I remember Peyton throwing 2 interceptions and failing to beat the Ravens even with 14 points from a Kick Returner we cut (our Special Teams coach sucks BTW). It's pretty cool if his worst games are better than some of the elite QB's worst games.

As for finding a replacement QB... You don't find guys late in the draft and groom them. Just doesn't happen. There's only been 1 Tom Brady. If you trade up to select a QB you don't address key positions like a 2nd WR, or O Line. So your rookie QB would have a worthless #2 and a terrible right side of the line. It then takes him 2 years to contend and in that time you lost Andre to father time, now you need another #1 WR. Perpetual rebuilding...

If you let Schaub walk to go after Peyton you likely wouldn't have got Peyton anyway and would have been stuck w/ Yates. People forget we had a top 3 defense in 2011. Look at before and after Schaub, it's pretty noticeable: http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/schedule.../hou/year/2011 Not one single game over 22 point after and only 1 under 22 points before.
Old 07-17-2013   #79
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
If you let Schaub walk to go after Peyton you likely wouldn't have got Peyton anyway and would have been stuck w/ Yates. People forget we had a top 3 defense in 2011. Look at before and after Schaub, it's pretty noticeable: http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/schedule.../hou/year/2011 Not one single game over 22 point after and only 1 under 22 points before.
Peyton was rumored to want to play for the Texans:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...all&id=8542447

Quote:
Someone I know who is close friends with the Manning family says Peyton is definitely interested in coming to the Texans. Manning will be released by the Colts early next month and will be a free agent. The person who knows the Mannings says Peyton wants to play on a team that has a chance of going to a Super Bowl, and the Texans fit that description.
Bob Allen usually doesn't make stuff up like this, and I believe if we wanted Peyton, we could've had him.
Old 07-17-2013   #80
TexansFTW
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Peyton was rumored to want to play for the Texans:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...all&id=8542447

Bob Allen usually doesn't make stuff up like this, and I believe if we wanted Peyton, we could've had him.
I hear what you're saying, but I don't think we ever had a chance. Peyton was "interested" in MANY teams. Bob Allen is a Houston only guy, therefore if there was a story on Peyton I wonder what he would talk about...

This article was created with odds a month AFTER that Bob Allen story, there are 10 teams on here with a shot at Peyton, notice how the winning team isn't even on this list of 10. http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...tons-next-home

This doesn't even factor in that we are a completely cap strapped team and Peyton is a $7+ million increase per year on the cap vs. Schaub. So 2 options would happen: 1. We never would have got Peyton (I think this is the most likely) or 2. We would have to shed a LOT to afford him and where are we then? I don't remember it being a given he wins Super Bowls or even competes in them in Indy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read