Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-15-2013   #1
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...-qb-countdown/

Not sure what Jaws is looking at, but there it is for your discussion...
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #2
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 31864 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jaws: Schaub is NFL's 9th Best QB

Remember folks, this is about ranking not wanting. So let's not throw monkey's feces into the fan just yet. For me the only QB I would not want over Schaub are Sanchez and Ponder. But I have no problem where Jaws rank Schaub on the list.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #3
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Jaws has been smoking some good stuff. Stop hanging with Snoop man.

Seriously though he made an interesting case, but its hard to agree with him after seeing him those last 6 games. Hope he proves everyone wrong.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...-qb-countdown/

Not sure what Jaws is looking at, but there it is for your discussion...
He pretty much laid it all out there. His words are true & hard to argue, imo..
Quote:
“I like Schaub, maybe more than others. Did he struggle at times down the stretch? He did. But overall, he’s a very solid quarterback who’s shown the consistent ability to execute a well-structured and efficient offense. That puts him in my top 10.”
Not saying that I would rank Schaub at 9 (I haven't looked at all the QBs in depth, but of the ones he's got ranked behind Schaub, there are only a couple I might put ahead of him. Schaub's only deficit, again imo, is that he doesn't "take over the game" when it's time for him to take over. Whether that's because he can't or won't I don't know. It's very hard to quantify & when we see these kids running around making plays out their butts we think that's it, but it's not....... it's close.

Most people probably won't agree with me, but so far, Luck is just a younger Tony Romo. In the next few years, we'll see which way he goes, he could be the next Tom Brady, or the next Tony Romo. 10 is way too high for Luck.

Henne is "much" better than Sanchez, Ponder, & Weeden.

RG3 & Wilson are the two I question being behind Schaub. Those guys...... high QB ratings, plenty of yards, keep the chains moving... good - great accuracy... the only thing Schaub has on them is years.

Kaepernick is another one, but I'd like to see him over a full season before I rank him above Schaub.. pretty close but he had less than half the attempts as the other guys.
Old 07-15-2013   #5
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 114477 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I call Bull*******, yes you heard me Bull*******
Old 07-15-2013   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 290661 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

meh....I think we all realize Schaub is a better than average QB. It's how MUCH better than average we argue over.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 248675 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He pretty much laid it all out there. His words are true & hard to argue, imo..

RG3 & Wilson are the two I question being behind Schaub. Those guys...... high QB ratings, plenty of yards, keep the chains moving... good - great accuracy... the only thing Schaub has on them is years.

Kaepernick is another one, but I'd like to see him over a full season before I rank him above Schaub.. pretty close but he had less than half the attempts as the other guys.
This is Jaws remember. He's still a big time proponent of old-school pocket passers. Schaub is definitely one of those.

AND, as he specifically said, it's also about the body of work. Year-in and year-out, Schaub has put up the numbers to be in the top ten.

But he's still got a ways to go before he cracks the top five.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2013   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127995 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Schaub, I really do... That said, I would have him at around 12th/13th at best.

I generally like "Jaws'" takes, but let's remember he was an average (at best) QB himself. Yes, he lead the Eagles to a Super Bowl, but lost to Jim Plunkett and the Oakland Raiders.
Old 07-15-2013   #9
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 81301 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless a QB wins a championship within the past year or two, a fan's opinion of that QB's value or rank depends squarely on what he has done lately. In the offseason, fans will rely on the second half of the season and post-season for their evaluation.

But a sports analyst will more likely consider the big picture, which is why Jaws prefaces his evaluation of Schaub with: "My normal inclination is to look at a large body of work over a long period of time."

Big picture, it seems that Schaub has the potential to be championship worthy. But in latter 2012, he seemed indecisive and rattled. My conclusion is to take the big picture evaluation for now, because I believe he was not fully recovered in 2012 from the lisfranc injury. But if he does not come out early in 2013 and prove that he's over it, then the rattled, 2012 version of Schaub will be the final phase of his legacy in Houston.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105274 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Unless a QB wins a championship within the past year or two, a fan's opinion of that QB's value or rank depends squarely on what he has done lately. In the offseason, fans will rely on the second half of the season and post-season for their evaluation.

But a sports analyst will more likely consider the big picture, which is why Jaws prefaces his evaluation of Schaub with: "My normal inclination is to look at a large body of work over a long period of time."

Big picture, it seems that Schaub has the potential to be championship worthy. But in latter 2012, he seemed indecisive and rattled. My conclusion is to take the big picture evaluation for now, because I believe he was not fully recovered in 2012 from the lisfranc injury. But if he does not come out early in 2013 and prove that he's over it, then the rattled, 2012 version of Schaub will be the final phase of his legacy in Houston.
Ehh, people forget that the team as a whole didnt play well in those last 6 games....it wasnt just schaub. And imo, at least some of that contributed to schaub's bad individual play the latter part of the season.

Dont know if i'd put schaub at 9...but he's not any lower than 11 imo.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I like Schaub, I really do... That said, I would have him at around 12th/13th at best.

I generally like "Jaws'" takes, but let's remember he was an average (at best) QB himself. Yes, he lead the Eagles to a Super Bowl, but lost to Jim Plunkett and the Oakland Raiders.
Haha Bill,

It was just a few days ago that you said...

Never mind.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #12
Clamp
Rookie

Rep Power: 167 Clamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

You can be average at doing something, but have the knowledge and insight to coach or analyze well. Plenty of average or even bad players have gone on to become very good coaches and anylists....though there are just as many who suck at both of those things too lol.

HOW DOES MERRILL HODGE STILL HAVE A JOB??
Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #13
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 248675 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamp View Post
You can be average at doing something, but have the knowledge and insight to coach or analyze well. Plenty of average or even bad players have gone on to become very good coaches and anylists....though there are just as many who suck at both of those things too lol.

HOW DOES MERRILL HODGE STILL HAVE A JOB??
Some questions are just flat unanswerable...

What happens to the matter that disappears down a black hole?
How the hell does gravity really work?
Where do all those missing socks end up and do they contribute to "dark matter"?
Where are the flying cars like George Jetson had? (I want mine dammit)
Why is First Take still on the air?
Why does Merrill Hodge still have a job?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #14
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 115966 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rank Schaub 11-13th based on last year alone. If he comes back fully healthy, fit and mentally strong like he was in 2011, he's top 6-8.

I don't think he was struggling too much with hidden injuries the way some people do, but his confidence and decisiveness were not in the same place they were before his injury, especially after getting beat up early in the season and (IMO) losing confidence in his line.

Worth noting, even during a down year in 2012, Schaub had the highest ESPN Total QBR in the NFL on throws between 10-19 yards.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
AND, as he specifically said, it's also about the body of work. Year-in and year-out, Schaub has put up the numbers to be in the top ten.

But he's still got a ways to go before he cracks the top five.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Big picture, it seems that Schaub has the potential to be championship worthy. But in latter 2012, he seemed indecisive and rattled.
I think the only thing missing, is that "clutch" gene. That ability to "take over" the game.

In our final game of the season, when Danieal Manning got us into the redzone on the opening kick-off, that said a lot to me.

The first pass to Casey (easy Obsi) was on the money, should have been caught. I've seen Peyton make that type of throw, end up incomplete, the receiver knows it was his fault. He comes back to the huddle seemingly saying, "That was me, I screwed up." & Peyton would say, "Don't worry about it, we'll make up for it on this one." & the next play they'd get their TD.

More often than not, when we are in that situation, we didn't make up for it. Not in 2012, not in those games against the Packers & Patriots.

I know we put too much of the blame on the QB, but (I think) had Schaub correctly identified the LB in zone taking away the OD slant he could have located Andre earlier in his route & got him in the back of the end zone.

It sucks, & I am "faulting" Schaub for that one, but I'm not as down on him as some folks. I've got confidence that he will grow from what happened in 2012 & we're going to see Schaub emerge as a bonafide star in 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Ehh, people forget that the team as a whole didnt play well in those last 6 games....it wasnt just schaub. And imo, at least some of that contributed to schaub's bad individual play the latter part of the season.

Dont know if i'd put schaub at 9...but he's not any lower than 11 imo.
In all honesty, I consider this Kubiak's best year as a HC & game manager, because we've been complaining about this team & the product they put on the field from week 1. They got booed at home week 1.

Look through the game day threads & it's hard to believe we went 12-4 playing some of the best teams in the NFL. Baltimore, Denver, Chicago, Green Bay, New England.......

Pretty impressive when you consider we struggled with the OL, running game, & were short handed at WR, RB, & TE at various points through the season.
Old 07-16-2013   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Really, did Schaub watch the last 5-6 games of the season

If weak armed, immobile QB's with late season accuracy problems do to a chronic foot problem is your thing, then Schaub is your guy Jaws.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Some questions are just flat unanswerable...

What happens to the matter that disappears down a black hole?
How the hell does gravity really work?
Where do all those missing socks end up and do they contribute to "dark matter"?
Where are the flying cars like George Jetson had? (I want mine dammit)
Why is First Take still on the air?
Why does Merrill Hodge still have a job?
These are questions that will vex mankind for years to come. Well posed, ObsiWanson.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Really, did Schaub watch the last 5-6 games of the season

If weak armed, immobile QB's with late season accuracy problems do to a chronic foot problem is your thing, then Schaub is your guy Jaws.
I think we're blaming Schaub for a lot of things that was not his fault. Expecting him to do things he can not. I also think Kubiak has proven that he can do quite a bit with Schaub. As far as "late season accuracy problems" I'd need more than this past season as evidence of such. As it is, putting the football in James Casey's face mask does not point to an accuracy issue.

There was a thread before our Divisional play-off game vs the Patriots, where the consensus (more or less) agreed for us to win that game, the Defense was going to have to step it up & show up. The running game was going to have to step it up & show up. Foster was going to have to have his best game of the season, the OL was going to have to dominate the LOS & Schaub was going to have to step it up & show up.

None of that happened, but we're focused on Schaub's failure..... doesn't make sense to me.
Old 07-16-2013   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think we're blaming Schaub for a lot of things that was not his fault. Expecting him to do things he can not. I also think Kubiak has proven that he can do quite a bit with Schaub. As far as "late season accuracy problems" I'd need more than this past season as evidence of such. As it is, putting the football in James Casey's face mask does not point to an accuracy issue.

There was a thread before our Divisional play-off game vs the Patriots, where the consensus (more or less) agreed for us to win that game, the Defense was going to have to step it up & show up. The running game was going to have to step it up & show up. Foster was going to have to have his best game of the season, the OL was going to have to dominate the LOS & Schaub was going to have to step it up & show up.

None of that happened, but we're focused on Schaub's failure..... doesn't make sense to me.
Things a top 9 rated QB shuld be able to do?

True the defense needed to step up and help cover Schaub's weaknesses. They did this against the Bengals, against a great offense ike the Pats the defense needed Schaub and co to step up and help get them off of the field so they could get some rest. This didn't happen. (Not saying the defense was blameless)

If you watched the offense the last 6 games of the season and still think Gary is some kind of offensive guru and Schaub is a top 9 QB, then we will have to agree to disagree.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #20
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 115966 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub didn't need the defense to cover up anything. He needed them to not embarrass themselves. The offense put up 28 points which was all the Ravens needed to put the Pats away. Why? Because the Ravens' defense showed up and held Tom Lady to 13.

The vaunted Texans D got rolled over, punked and shamed by the same team twice in one season. They are 100% to blame for that loss.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read