Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-01-2013   #101
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zierlein Breaks Down Improvement Needed For Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So we shouldn't criticize Jacoby Jones, Shilo Keo, Chris Brown, Matt Schaub?

One way or another, we're going to watch our team & we're going to comment on how they play. Most likely without input from the coaches.

You can go back & watch that video LZ posted. Then come & read his comments regarding that video.... there are discrepancies in what he is saying here & what he's saying on the video. LZ doesn't have anymore input from the coaches than we do.
Not true. I speak with John Benton after practices from time to time about players and certain specifics. For example, I didn't know why they double dueled B-gap blitzers and DTs with guards so we spoke about that. Methinks you sell me a little short.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013   #102
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
Not true. I speak with John Benton after practices from time to time about players and certain specifics. For example, I didn't know why they double dueled B-gap blitzers and DTs with guards so we spoke about that. Methinks you sell me a little short.
As an aside, how's your Traeger?

I haven't done a suckling but I did some lamb. FANTASTIC!!!!
Old 07-01-2013   #103
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

My daddy can beat your daddy up. Why can't we talk football and not denigrate each other. You see it one way & I another, let it go. If some of us were as good at this as we think we are, we have different jobs. State your opinion and knock off putting down the other guy.
Old 07-01-2013   #104
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
My daddy can beat your daddy up. Why can't we talk football and not denigrate each other. You see it one way & I another, let it go. If some of us were as good at this as we think we are, we have different jobs. State your opinion and knock off putting down the other guy.
All I can say is marine engines and superchargers are weak. Start talking diesel engines and turbos, NOW you're talking power. As far as daddy's go, my daddy will kick both of your daddy's asses and still get 3,000 yds in a 10 game season. That's how bad ass MY daddy is. LOL.
Old 07-01-2013   #105
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
All I can say is marine engines and superchargers are weak. Start talking diesel engines and turbos, NOW you're talking power. As far as daddy's go, my daddy will kick both of your daddy's asses and still get 3,000 yds in a 10 game season. That's how bad ass MY daddy is. LOL.
Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are. Please forgive me Lord for what I am thinking about DocBar.
Old 07-01-2013   #106
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I stand corrected.
Old 07-02-2013   #107
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
As an aside, how's your Traeger?

I haven't done a suckling but I did some lamb. FANTASTIC!!!!

Working as great as always. It's funny because I just told my wife I wanted to do a suckling pig as well.
Old 07-02-2013   #108
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

LZ you are one of my favorite sports radio personalities and I think it's really cool that you come here and post. Here's my question:

When are you going to FM radio? You've been everywhere else...
Old 07-02-2013   #109
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80683 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
LZ you are one of my favorite sports radio personalities and I think it's really cool that you come here and post. Here's my question:

To add on to this comment, if anyone hasn't heard LZ's "Worst Hour of Sports Talk Radio" it's freaking hilarious.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #110
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

With all due respect, and Lance and Rey are among the most respected sources around this part, I continue to have my own thoughts and observations.

One has to keep learning to move foreward.

It's the only way.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #111
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not going to keep arguing the point. The TE was not a big part of the problem on this play. Newton handled the play poorly and used improper footwork. I don't know what else to say. You can access all the manuals and instructional tapes you want, but I'm telling you what I've learned from studying directly under and NFL offensive line coach and from speaking to him about this particular play before I posted it. Why we are continuing to argue about what your videos are telling you is beyond me. It was a poorly executed play across the board. Seems like this is just turning into arguing for arguments sake now.
And I'm going back to this point.
I've been studying this part about the TE and I must say I disagree completely.

The TE is an integral part of the outside zone or the stretch play.

The blocking TE plays an important role in this system; I really don't get it when Lance and Rey insisted that the TE was not a problem in this particular play.
Especially after I had studied many similar situations in both 2011 and 2012.
Old 07-02-2013   #112
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Lance can qualify himself as having learn this and that; and so can Rey.

I can qualify myself as to have known about Duane Brown before Lance came on board and I can claim that I saw Myers as a capable Center while many were on his case.

I can claim that I saw a solid CB in Kareem Jackson against the grain.

Instead, I had to work hard for the things I believe in.
Pardon me, but who the hell is going to tell me that I just make a little nice peewee coach (even though it's a good thing.)

I detest authority, especially when it isn't real authority.
It's something I always said; one may know something; he doesn't know it all.

You just need to keep learning.
Old 07-02-2013   #113
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

I can qualify myself as to have known about Duane Brown before Lance came on board and I can claim that I saw Myers as a capable Center while many were on his case.

Pardon me, but who the hell is going to tell me that I just make a little nice peewee coach (even though it's a good thing.)

Easy.... Easy.... Easy John!!

First off, I think Lance's Dad has waaaaaay more credence than your personal analysis. He actually did it for a living at the professional level, for many, many, many years.

While you spend many hours studying film (and I appreciate that), I defer to the professionals (i.e. Lance's Dad).
Old 07-02-2013   #114
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Easy.... Easy.... Easy John!!

First off, I think Lance's Dad has waaaaaay more credence than your personal analysis. He actually did it for a living at the professional level, for many, many, many years.

While you spend many hours studying film (and I appreciate that), I defer to the professionals (i.e. Lance's Dad).
& if Lance's Dad was here saying these things I'd give it more credence.

But it's not. It's a guy who wrote a newspaper article telling us what we already knew..... Derek Newton is not a 6 year veteran.

You want to know why our run game was so bad? If you're sheep, we can point to Derek Newton & Ben Jones and tell you Kubiak made a boo-boo. If you really want to know, listen to 76. Brown, Wade, & Chris didn't perform up to expectations.

They made the Pro Bowl, but on that play & every run play, the RB should have options. The first read on the DE says cut it back. The LBs are pursuing that outside edge like a mudda. If Myers gets a real block on that LB, there's a sliver of a cut back. If Smith gets his block, it's 30+ yards.
Old 07-03-2013   #115
LZ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post

If I went to FM, it would probably mean I'm doing sports in another city.
Old 07-03-2013   #116
LZ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

At this point, I'm not even sure who you are arguing with. I don't remember even responding to your last 6 comments. We disagree and that's about it.
Old 07-03-2013   #117
LZ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
& if Lance's Dad was here saying these things I'd give it more credence.

But it's not. It's a guy who wrote a newspaper article telling us what we already knew..... Derek Newton is not a 6 year veteran.

You want to know why our run game was so bad? If you're sheep, we can point to Derek Newton & Ben Jones and tell you Kubiak made a boo-boo. If you really want to know, listen to 76. Brown, Wade, & Chris didn't perform up to expectations.

They made the Pro Bowl, but on that play & every run play, the RB should have options. The first read on the DE says cut it back. The LBs are pursuing that outside edge like a mudda. If Myers gets a real block on that LB, there's a sliver of a cut back. If Smith gets his block, it's 30+ yards.

I tell you what.... how about the three of us meet up for a film session with coaching tape from NFL Rewind and I'll let you school me on line play. We can go through inside zone, outside zone, FB responsibilities and reads, when to change MIKE calls. All of that. I'll sit and listen for the first 30 minutes and I won't say a word. I'll just let you guys have the floor. I'll buy the lunch too. Deal?
Old 07-03-2013   #118
LZ
Veteran

I know I'm just a guy who "wrote a newspaper article", but I've been talking about o-line play here in Houston and abroad for longer than you give me credit. I never said I knew anything. To the contrary. I said that we all need to slow our roll a little bit because we shouldn't get too far into technique, etc. The play I posted on the Chronicle blog was a disaster. You can try and position it any way you want, but it was a mess all the way around. Newton is not going to be a good NFL tackle. I'm willing to make a wager on that. He's got core strength issues, balance issues and sloppy hands and feet that both get too wide when he's in pass pro.

Just to prove I'm not just guessing on this stuff, here is a piece I did where I'm sure I told you everything you already knew about the Giants defensive scheme vs. the Texans, but I'll link it anyway.

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...-running-game/

Not sure why you and 76 keep trying to keep this thing alive. I thought I had moved on to suckling pigs.
Old 07-03-2013   #119
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I tell you what.... how about the three of us meet up for a film session with coaching tape from NFL Rewind and I'll let you school me on line play. We can go through inside zone, outside zone, FB responsibilities and reads, when to change MIKE calls. All of that. I'll sit and listen for the first 30 minutes and I won't say a word. I'll just let you guys have the floor. I'll buy the lunch too. Deal?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013   #120
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not sure why you and 76 keep trying to keep this thing alive. I thought I had moved on to suckling pigs.
Have you met my friend 76? (On the internet, not IRL.) Persistence is his middle and last name. He looks at film, posts what he sees, looks at film, posts what he sees, looks at more film, posts what he sees.

It's an endearing trait once you get used to it but the first couple of times and it's like... wait... what?

He's a good guy, though. Heart's in the right place.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read