Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-31-2013   #21
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reports: Mutual Interest in Antonio Smith Extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Possibly. Or, and to be honest I haven't cued in on this, they concentrated on both Smith and Watt? More proof showing how poor out OLB play was by not winning one on ones. I know for a fact ( just me re-watching games) that Barwin couldn't win one on ones to save his life. When your OLBs stink like that, opposing Olines would roll protection to our two big boys inside.

Just a thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Truth is that both Jj & Antonio were getting double teamed on just about every snap & that's what made the lack of an outside rush unacceptable.
Good points. The rest of the team has to step up to take advantage of those opportunities when J.J. and Smith are both locked up or misdirected out of the play.

Hopefully Cushing comes back in full health and in full force. I really think he will make the difference and give opposing offenses fits trying to defend against him, Cushing, and Smith. OLB's have to be better this year, though, without a doubt.
Old 05-31-2013   #22
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Truth is that both Jj & Antonio were getting double teamed on just about every snap & that's what made the lack of an outside rush unacceptable.
^^^ This.

Our OLBs should have been CRUSHING teams. In THIS defense? With the job responsibilities OLBs have in it? With the Ninja and JJ getting the attention they were getting? There was just no excuse for someone not to come free on almost every play except maybe when the offense was in max-protect.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013   #23
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
^^^ This.

Our OLBs should have been CRUSHING teams. In THIS defense? With the job responsibilities OLBs have in it? With the Ninja and JJ getting the attention they were getting? There was just no excuse for someone not to come free on almost every play except maybe when the offense was in max-protect.
I think the staff did not like what they got from outside either considering two draft picks on OLBs. Now that's different than expecting them to just walk into a starting line-up of a play-off caliber team, but the Texans clearly thought that more bodies/talent/production was needed at the spot.
Old 05-31-2013   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
^^^ This.

Even then, we were seeing RBs & TEs block very effectively against our OLBs one on one & we shouldn't. RBs like to cut block & I know pass rushers hate that.

But put a TE or a RB one on one with Ware or Bloodline & see what happens. I'm not expecting our guys to play like those two on every play, but every once in a while would be nice. There shouldn't be a TE in the league who could stand up to Connor's strength & he kept saying Brooks was stronger. I didn't see it.
Old 05-31-2013   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

He's freak'n huge

& look at that wingspan, if he could get his body on a TE, he should be able to bench press that guy into next week, of if he could get one of those long arms under his opponents reach, he should be able to swim by them & create enormous separation. Then he can jump over a man from a stand... no running start like he did to get that penalty on special teams.

His performance last year made no sense to me.... a contract year. Maybe his knew coaches will be able to unlock all that God given ability, but for whatever reason, Wade, Kolar, & Hearing couldn't.
Old 06-02-2013   #26
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ive been banging this drum since the off-season began. It seems like a no brainier to extend Antonio to free up space and keep him around longer. DL can play longer so extending him until he is 35 or 36 is not a crazy idea and would allow us to convert a good chunk of this years salary into bonus thus really lowering our cap hit this season.
Old 06-03-2013   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Not sure I am fan of this, outside of clearing short term cap space. The Antonio smiths of the world are the type of nice to pretty good players that a team should not want on its cap later in their career.
Yep

Re-signing Smith to an extention is a bad idea, almost of Schaubian extention proportions. Especially with Watt and Cushing FA on the horizon.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #28
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep

Re-signing Smith to an extention is a bad idea, almost of Schaubian extention proportions. Especially with Watt and Cushing FA on the horizon.
How can you declare this a "bad idea" when no one knows what the numbers (length & $$/yr) will be??

There's no way he'll get a Schaub-level extension (money-level, I mean) because DT/DE hybrids just don't make that kind of $$. The guys over at BattleRedBlog are thinking this level of money...

Quote:
With all that in mind, I think Antonio is looking at about a three-year extension worth about $4-5M a year. When added with his current owed money, I think he'll see some of this salary converted into a signing bonus to help cap relief now. The extension I'd lock in at is three years for $13M with $5.75M guaranteed. It's not a crazy number, it's a nice show of loyalty to a hard-working veteran, and it doesn't hinder you from making a cap casualty cut if he declines drastically in two or three years. It's a win-win move on both sides.
That doesn't sound outrageous to me.

...unless you're thinking of low-balling Ninja to set the stage to low-ball Cush and J.J. when their time comes.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #29
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Is this true?

My perception here, as I thought Smith under-achieved last season when J.J. was getting so much attention from opposing offenses. Smith should have had a greater impact as a result. JMO
Smiff was rated 6th/24 3-4 DEs in 2012 and 8th/32 in 2011 by PFF.

He is is much better against the pass versus the run, rated 2nd in both 2012 & 2011.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep

It depends on how they structure it.

He's due $9M this year, which is his cap hit. We can turn $6M of that into a signing bonus over 5 years & his cap hit will drop to $4.2M. Over the remaining 4 years, his cap hit will be the $1.2M plus incentives, plus whatever you make his salary. We can cut him after 2 years if need be (but I doubt we'll need to) & it will cost us $3.6M, after 3 years $2.4M, after 4 years $1.2M

I like Antonio & I think he's worth $4-5M/yr against our cap for the next 5 years so I wouldn't have a problem with an extension like that.

Of course, even though I do not like Schaub, I think he's worth the $11M he's costing our cap, which doesn't even put him in the top 10 of QB caphits of 2013.

But we're tied to him for another year..... whaaaaa... 12 wins. 4000 yards. Whaaaa....
Old 06-03-2013   #31
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
How can you declare this a "bad idea" when no one knows what the numbers (length & $$/yr) will be??

There's no way he'll get a Schaub-level extension (money-level, I mean) because DT/DE hybrids just don't make that kind of $$. The guys over at BattleRedBlog are thinking this level of money...

That doesn't sound outrageous to me.

...unless you're thinking of low-balling Ninja to set the stage to low-ball Cush and J.J. when their time comes.
Why on earth would Antonio sign that deal? He could do much better on the free market next year, assuming he doesn't have a big injury. 4.33m a year average would put him in the range of guys like Ray Macdonald, Mike Devito, Jason Babin and Osi Umenyoria. The 5.75 guaranteed is pretty low, and is less than the salary he supposed to make this year. He could do better than that.

I think if he were to hit the open market right now, he would get somewhere in the range of 3 years 18-20m. He's worth about 6m a year to a 3-4 team, assuming he doesn't take a nosedive this year. He restructured his deal to help the team a couple years ago, and now his 2013 cap hit is a bit higher than it should be. The Texans need a bit more capspace to finish signing rookies, so this is the logical choice to free up some cash. I just hope they don't overpay the guy and regret it for the next 4 years.
Old 06-26-2013   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

This from Tania Ganguli June 25th basically saying extend Antonio Smith. IMO, we have $3m under cap and no evidence of anyone on radar. Why extend when we do not have to? I like Smith but hopefully one of the younger guys will be ready to go by 2014. Smith's $9m hit would go well to Cush if he gets even that much. We have plenty of time to decide what to do with Brian, especially to allow him to show what he has.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/daGVR?u...houston-texans

If they gave Antonio Smith a four-year extension through 2017, they could lower his 2013 cap number significantly just by reducing his base salary to the minimum — $840,000 for someone with eight years experience — and making up the remaining $5.16 million in a signing bonus. He would receive the full signing bonus up front, thus not impacting his cash flow for the year, but the amount of the signing bonus that counts against the salary cap would be evenly split over the length of the contract.

That $3.5 million pro-rated amount from his original contract would still count in his cap number for 2013. But even carrying that number and adding it to the new pro-rated amount and his base salary, the Texans would reduce his cap figure by about $4 million with this plan.
Old 06-26-2013   #33
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
This from Tania Ganguli June 25th basically saying extend Antonio Smith. IMO, we have $3m under cap and no evidence of anyone on radar. Why extend when we do not have to? I like Smith but hopefully one of the younger guys will be ready to go by 2014.
Maybe because we like him, expect him to keep performing at a high level, and want to keep him on our team for longer?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe because we like him, expect him to keep performing at a high level, and want to keep him on our team for longer?
Still does not fit for me. Extend him towards end of season to avoid injury impacting a new contract. I am not saying not to extend just no reason to do it now. This is one time I am not willing to push salary to later, at least not until I see how other players do.
Old 06-26-2013   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Still does not fit for me. Extend him towards end of season to avoid injury impacting a new contract. I am not saying not to extend just no reason to do it now. This is one time I am not willing to push salary to later, at least not until I see how other players do.
If not now, when? He's a FA at the end of the season. Then we're talking new contract.
Old 06-26-2013   #36
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why extend Smith for Cushng if the $9.5 cap hit from Smith leaves with Smith after this season? Now if they want Smith for longer than this season at lower price, cool but different issue. If afraid of losing Cush we can redo Smith anytime. I am hoping they have another target and it should be substantial.
This is why I added only if the numbers work. I would be OK with seeing how Crick does this year but other than that, the Texans are very, very light at DT depth. Are there any DT draft prospects on your radar, that will be ready to start and available at 32 in the draft, that you have your eye on?
Old 06-26-2013   #37
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Justin Smith’s role, age and ability could mean his contract provides benchmarks for Antonio Smith’s extension with the Texans. Both Smiths are skilled 3-4 defensive ends, disruptive and in their 30s. Antonio is 31, turning 32 in October, while Justin is 34.

Consider: Before making this deal, Justin Smith’s salary cap figure for 2013 was $8 million with a $7.5 million salary this season. Now the 49ers cut nearly $4.3 million off his cap figure while leaving his salary virtually unchanged for 2013. They gave him a minimum-base salary of $940,000 with a $6.56 million signing bonus and a $500,000 workout bonus.

Justin Smith’s cap number does rise to $6.737 million in 2014 and $6.237 million in 2015. But that isn’t astronomical. He’ll be paid $4.55 million in 2014 and $3.586 million in 2016 including base salary and roster bonuses, unless he gets released or retires.
Link

The 49ers got a screaming deal from Justin Smith. Unless he was in danger of being cut (which I highly doubt), Smith gave up free agency in 2014 for 500K. Antonio Smith will not give the Texans that kind of deal.
Old 06-26-2013   #38
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Link

The 49ers got a screaming deal from Justin Smith. Unless he was in danger of being cut (which I highly doubt), Smith gave up free agency in 2014 for 500K. Antonio Smith will not give the Texans that kind of deal.
Justin Smith also negotiated his own extension. Smith's agent has been there and done this.
Old 06-27-2013   #39
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Link

I also question whether it would be wise to have Antonio carrying $6+mm cap hits for the next two years when we have Watt, Cushing and Jackson to re-sign.

With Watt on the d-line we are probably going to have to go bargain basement at the other two positions in order to have a prudent and balanced allocation of the cap.
Old 06-27-2013   #40
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It seems that the Texans normally try to wrap up all their deal deals early?!?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read