Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-21-2013   #61
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: 4th round Trevardo Williams De/OLB

I don't know if it's so much about "technique" & pass-rush "moves"

When I look at CMIII, Bloodline, I don't think "moves" or "technique"

I think more jeet kune do. Form without form. He maintains ball awareness, then he's got the burst & quickness to get to the ball.
Old 05-22-2013   #62
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2408 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know if it's so much about "technique" & pass-rush "moves"

When I look at CMIII, Bloodline, I don't think "moves" or "technique"

I think more jeet kune do. Form without form. He maintains ball awareness, then he's got the burst & quickness to get to the ball.
You are right, when he identifies the run he maintains good awareness and does a good job of shedding the lineman and getting in on the tackle. That is why I think he has more strength that a lot of the scouting reports suggest.

The problem is that he does the same thing in thing after his initial outside or inside speed rush is negated due to his lack of countermoves. On his tape he will juke the OL some of the time, not much, when he realizes his initial move is beat but that will not work at the pro level if it is not combined with proper hand usage. He does maintain awareness after his initial speed move is negated but needs to develop more pass rush moves and better hand usage (bad coaching). I believe he will with some good coaching, and when he does he could be really good because the talent is there in spades.

Watch 4:32 to 4:52 in this video. It is of the less talented Travis Long who has some pass rush moves. Too bad he is not very athletic. If Williams had displayed these moves on tape he would not have lasted until the 4th round. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVtju56nqzE

Personally I think he will be a holy terror once he has a better pass rush repertoire.

Last edited by SW H-TOWN; 05-22-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: FORGOT TO PUT IN WEB LINK
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #63
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think his playing strength is good enough yet.

I think he needs some NFL training on more upper body exercises than just bench press...Bench press is only part of shedding blocks...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #64
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

This pick is a lot more intriguing seeing as how through mini-camps and the first few days of OTA's it appears that the coaches believe that Williams is ahead of 3rd rounder Sam Montgomery. I won't say that the OLB position is in shambles, but there is quite a bit of inexperience (But losing two OLB's to high priced contracts will do that) and that is always worrisome.
Old 06-26-2013   #65
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I asked him about simultaneously becoming friends with and competing against Montgomery.

“He’s playing a different position now, he’s on the Will, I’m on the Sam,” Williams said. “We both compete in pass rushing, but other than that he’s basically working on honing his skills on that side of the field while I’m working on dropping back.”

"It’s taking some time, a gradual change,” Williams said of starting plays off the line of scrimmage, standing up. “I don’t think it’s completely different than a three-point stance. It takes a lot of balance and building habits. I don’t feel it’ll be a problem, I’ll be practicing it over the next several weeks …

“The big difference is the initial attack. Usually in a three-point stance you have a more explosive attack. In a two-point stance you’re required to use a little more technique, using your arms and your footwork. It needs to be more coordinated. It’s not difficult.”

entire article http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...pot-for-texans
Old 06-26-2013   #66
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm confused.

I thought Montgomery was the SAM and Williams was the Will.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #67
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm confused.

Hopefully you are the one who is confused, and Trevardo is the one with a handle on things. For it to be the other way around would be a bad thing.
Old 06-26-2013   #68
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Makes sense that TW would be the SOLB....I would not want Mont covering players much at all next year...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #69
GoCoogs
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respectedGoCoogs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm confused.

So Sam is not the SAM, and Will is not the Will.

But who is on first?
GoCoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #70
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm confused.

I thought Herring said he was going to start Montgomery at SAM, then later teach him the Will. Maybe they're switching it up for TC.
Old 06-26-2013   #71
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Makes sense that TW would be the SOLB....I would not want Mont covering players much at all next year...
They'd been saying that Montgomery was going to be the Sam because he could hold the point of attack against the tight ends and be more of a force against the run while Williams, as more of a speed guy, would work on the weak side. At least, that's what I thought I'd heard Herring and Wade say... but... I guess I was wrong.
Old 06-26-2013   #72
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoogs View Post
So Sam is not the SAM, and Will is not the Will.

But who is on first?
No.

Who is on Second.
Old 06-26-2013   #73
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I think of SAM & WILL as the OLB positions in the more conventional 4-3 defense, while with Wade's defense it's very much a hybrid defense with a 3-4 alignment sometimes but others with one or both of the OLBs actually assuming 3-point stances. But because of his greater size and strength it's easy to assume that Montgomery is more suited as the SAM type to be over the TE.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #74
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No.

Who is on Second.
...and Watt's on Third. If it wasn't a walk-off.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #75
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I think of SAM & WILL as the OLB positions in the more conventional 4-3 defense, while with Wade's defense it's very much a hybrid defense with a 3-4 alignment sometimes but others with one or both of the OLBs actually assuming 3-point stances. But because of his greater size and strength it's easy to assume that Montgomery is more suited as the SAM type to be over the TE.
It's true Wade's 3-4 isn't your run-of-the-mill 3-4. His is a one gap system & it looks more like a 4-3

This is one of those formations you're talking about with one OLB in a 3 point stance & the other standing up.

I wish there were defensive guys here who could explain the whats & the whys of the different formations we use.

Why is Meci Standing up? He's going to rush the passer, we know he's going to rush the passer, why not let him explode out of a 3 point stance?
Old 06-26-2013   #76
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
IMO, Wade still uses a fairly standard definition of Will and Sam at the OLB positions. The biggest difference is that the Will OLB will line up on the LT more often than the RT, unless it's a left handed QB, and will mostly be used as a pass rusher but will still have to maintain containment on the end. I could very well be wrong, though.
Old 06-26-2013   #77
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's true Wade's 3-4 isn't your run-of-the-mill 3-4. His is a one gap system & it looks more like a 4-3

This is one of those formations you're talking about with one OLB in a 3 point stance & the other standing up.

I wish there were defensive guys here who could explain the whats & the whys of the different formations we use.

Why is Meci Standing up? He's going to rush the passer, we know he's going to rush the passer, why not let him explode out of a 3 point stance?
I'm not a defensive guru but... my guess is that he's making it look like he might take the RB in coverage.

They appear to be in a dime with Quin taking the spot of the other ILB. Normally in that situation, I'd expect Mercilus to have his hand down. BUT... he may actually have coverage responsibilities OR he may just be acting like he does to try to confuse the QB or the RB to bust the blocking scheme.
Old 06-26-2013   #78
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
IMO, Wade still uses a fairly standard definition of Will and Sam at the OLB positions. The biggest difference is that the Will OLB will line up on the LT more often than the RT, unless it's a left handed QB, and will mostly be used as a pass rusher but will still have to maintain containment on the end. I could very well be wrong, though.
It all depends on the TE. If the TE is on the right, the Sam will be on the right and the Will on the left; if the TE is on the left, the Sam will be on the left and the Will on the right.

And this is one of the problems with our defensive scheme. If the offense shifts and moves the TE from one side to another, our entire defensive line and OLBs have to swap positions. That takes time and energy. And both the Packers and the Patriots took advantage of that to grind our guys down and get them out of position.
Old 06-27-2013   #79
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Plenty of great pass rushers have done perfectly well doing it from a 2 point stance.

To me I thought Williams was the speed guy/pass rush type on the weak side and Montgomery was the clean-up strongman on the strong side. Who knows.
Old 06-27-2013   #80
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 293364 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No.

Who is on Second.
No, Who is on first.
What is on second.
I don't know is on third.

...back to football.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read