Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-21-2013   #41
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 295498 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: What are realistic projections for DeAndre Hopkins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Imo, Hopkins over Kmart and Jean. Posey not there until late season if at all. I'm not sure Hopkins realizes he is a rookie.
What are you talking about? Hopkins is a one man team now?

If there is no Andre, Hopkins will be on the field as the #1, LeStar or KMart will be #2, unless Posey is back. It's not Hopkins vs LeStar, etc...

It's Andre & DeAndre vs Hopkins & whatever we got left.
Old 06-21-2013   #42
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

DeAndre is almost a straight up comp to Hakeem Nicks, NG fame & former North Carolina Tar Heel. 6006 212 4.51 vs Hopkins 6010 214 Clemson. Strength of each is they pluck the ball & can snatch it away from defenders in tight coverage. Nicks rookie year he had 47 receptions 790 yards for a 16.8 ypc. & 6 TD's. Manning tends to spread the ball around more than Schaub plus he had Steve Smith catching 107 balls & Mario Manningham 57. So I really expect somewhere between 50-60 receptions & minimum of 7 TDs. That realistic. Also feel his yards per catch will be closer to Hakeem than a Steve Smith, plus he does have a little more speed than Nicks so 17 ypc. isn't out of the question, say 55X17= 935 yards & 7 TD's.

Back to the comparison both were Junior or underclassman early entries. Nicks selected in first round #29th overall DeAndre 27th overall. Both attack the football with strong hands. Both have the same impressive arm length 33" 10" hands, 36 vertical jump & both set multiple school records in receiving. However, there is one big advantage DeAndre will enjoy over Nicks & that is being mentored both on & off the field by Andre Johnson.

BL

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 295498 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
So I really expect somewhere between 50-60 receptions & minimum of 7 TDs. That realistic. Also feel his yards per catch will be closer to Hakeem than a Steve Smith, plus he does have a little more speed than Nicks so 17 ypc. isn't out of the question, say 55X17= 935 yards & 7 TD's.
I'd be happy if he has a 17 ypc & 7 TDs... he'll have earned his draft spot in my mind.

What's going to help is that it looks like "everyone" is saying he has a big catch radius & he plucks and fights for the ball. That's going to help him with Schaub & his trust issues.
Old 06-21-2013   #44
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What are you talking about? Hopkins is a one man team now?

If there is no Andre, Hopkins will be on the field as the #1, LeStar or KMart will be #2, unless Posey is back. It's not Hopkins vs LeStar, etc...

It's Andre & DeAndre vs Hopkins & whatever we got left.
Here is posts

Originally Posted by badboy
Again very astute comment my Amigo! Fans should not overlook that if AJ goes out Hopkins should be able to fill in.

Originally posted by TK in response

As a rookie? I'd be very impressed.

Now if Andre were to go down later in the year & Posey is back, or if LeStar had a great year, then maybe... maybe. But if we're talking about no Andre in week 5 & we go out there with DeAndre, LeStar, KMart...... @ SanFrancisco??

I'm not holding my breath.

TK, where did I say Hopkins is a one man team? Big over reach on your part.
Martin was not drafted with any hope he would replace AJ if the latter goes out. Jean while he has the size and maybe the skills to be #1, we have seen nothing to support that despite his experience. IMO, if Andre were to miss a game, based on what we know right now, I'd start Hopkins.
Old 06-21-2013   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Here is posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy
Again very astute comment my Amigo! Fans should not overlook that if AJ goes out Hopkins should be able to fill in.

Quote:
Originally posted by TK in response

As a rookie? I'd be very impressed.

Now if Andre were to go down later in the year & Posey is back, or if LeStar had a great year, then maybe... maybe. But if we're talking about no Andre in week 5 & we go out there with DeAndre, LeStar, KMart...... @ SanFrancisco??

I'm not holding my breath.

TK, where did I say Hopkins is a one man team? Big over reach on your part.
Martin was not drafted with any hope he would replace AJ if the latter goes out. Jean while he has the size and maybe the skills to be #1, we have seen nothing to support that despite his experience. IMO, if Andre were to miss a game, based on what we know right now, I'd start Hopkins.
Andre is Andre. He's going to be a badas5 with scrubs lined up on the other side of him. Whether that be a scrub named Kevin Walter, LeStar Jean, Kevin Martin, Eric Moulds.. it don't matter.

What we've needed is a guy to step into Andre's shoes & be a bad ass with scrubs named LeStar Jean & Kevin Martin on the other side of the field.

I'm not saying.... & none of my posts alluded to, maybe someone other than DeAndre being that replacement for Andre. I'm not saying & did not say I think LeStar or KMart has an opportunity to be that guy.

I said I do not believe we'll see DeAndre be that Andre replacement in his rookie year, especially not with the likes of LeStar Jean & Kevin Martin lined up on the other side of the field. If Posey were healthy & lined up on the other side..... maybe DeAndre can produce like a #1 (maybe).

Other than that, if Andre misses any time at all, our offense is going to suffer big time.
Old 06-21-2013   #46
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Andre is Andre. He's going to be a badas5 with scrubs lined up on the other side of him. Whether that be a scrub named Kevin Walter, LeStar Jean, Kevin Martin, Eric Moulds.. it don't matter.

What we've needed is a guy to step into Andre's shoes & be a bad ass with scrubs named LeStar Jean & Kevin Martin on the other side of the field.

I'm not saying.... & none of my posts alluded to, maybe someone other than DeAndre being that replacement for Andre. I'm not saying & did not say I think LeStar or KMart has an opportunity to be that guy.

I said I do not believe we'll see DeAndre be that Andre replacement in his rookie year, especially not with the likes of LeStar Jean & Kevin Martin lined up on the other side of the field. If Posey were healthy & lined up on the other side..... maybe DeAndre can produce like a #1 (maybe).

Other than that, if Andre misses any time at all, our offense is going to suffer big time.
I think the point is if Andre misses any time Texans finally have somebody who can step up & fill the void until he returns. That cannot be said in the past. Of course lets just let it all play out & everybody gets/stays healthy.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 06-21-2013   #47
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

My realistic projection for Deandre Hopkins is to have an impact on the Texans offense this year. If that is done by catching balls, running great routes, run blocking with effort, whatever, that's my expectations.

Getting into the bits about arguing about numbers is just semantics, he could catch 800 yards worth of balls while the Texans have a sub par season and it wouldn't matter. My only expectation is impact, and I think he's going to do just that for the Texans. Have an impact.
Old 06-21-2013   #48
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think trying to compare Hopkins to other receivers drafted by other teams is a good way to go about predicting his impact. We should look at other #2 receivers we have had and compare Hopkins' talent and skill set to those receivers. The problem is that we haven't had many #2 receivers worth targeting alot to predict Hopkins' production with any accuracy.

Hopkins compares to Walter in that they are both, mostly, possession type receivers. I think Hopkins has about equal route running ability right now than what Walter was last year, but with more run after catch, pure catch strength, and explosiveness. I'd suspect that Hopkins, in the beginning of the year, will be targeted a tad more than Walter was last year and will give us more production per target. If that is the case, we probably will be seeing Hopkins' opportunities increase toward the end of the season and into the playoffs. Obviously, that is assuming we don't have injuries to Andre, our TEs, or Hopkins himself. Injuries to other weapons will only see Hopkins' targets increase.

Alot of this has to do with Hopkins' confidence and development going forward. If he takes advantage of his opportunities early on, I think the sky is the limit for him this year. If he shows Kubiak that he can produce early when given the opportunity, he could become a pretty large part of the offense. We don't have alot of weapons that would take away from his opportunities.

Long story short, Hopkins' numbers should be better than Walter last year and he should most definitely be a bigger part of the offense than any #2 receiver we have ever had.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 388264 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Alot of this has to do with Hopkins' confidence and development going forward. If he takes advantage of his opportunities early on, I think the sky is the limit for him this year. If he shows Kubiak that he can produce early when given the opportunity, he could become a pretty large part of the offense. We don't have alot of weapons that would take away from his opportunities.
This. All this system talk, etc., last year our young WR's failed when trusted. I am sorry but 40% completions is unacceptable. HC, OC, QB aren't going to keep throwing the ball to 40% options when they have 80% options.
Old 06-21-2013   #50
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Seminole, while I agree with a good part of the things you said, what I've been wanting to do is to lay out the best course for the Texans as a team.

Number one, we hope that the D get back to the top five form of 2011.

Number two, we hope that Lechler can help win the field position battle as he should.

Kubiak is a "percentage" HC.
If he can trust the defense and the special team play, you just know he won't take a lot of chance in throwing the ball.

On top of that, as long as the top guys are healthy, Schaub is going to rely on AJ, OD, Foster, and now Graham to move the chain while the Texans keep feeding the ball to the RB with Jones as the lead blocker.

That is the key to the Texans success, not how many balls a rookie receiver is going to catch.

But if the opponents' defense go to sleep, like they did with Foster in his career year, I would hope that Kubiak takes advantage of it just the same.

But as we're talking about "average" and "likely hood ", I do not expect Hopkins to be a top 3 contributor in his rookie year.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #51
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216794 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This. All this system talk, etc., last year our young WR's failed when trusted. I am sorry but 40% completions is unacceptable. HC, OC, QB aren't going to keep throwing the ball to 40% options when they have 80% options.
They didn't tale advantage of one of their best options in the passing game as much last season as they had in the past - Im talking about Foster. Really boggled my mind as to why he didn't get as many looks as he had in seasons past.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #52
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 351224 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
...Schaub is going to rely on AJ, OD, Foster, and now Graham to move the chain while the Texans keep feeding the ball to the RB with Jones as the lead blocker...
Outside of Hopkin's capabilities, my concern is whether Schaub will get comfortable finding Hopkins.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 388264 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
They didn't tale advantage of one of their best options in the passing game as much last season as they had in the past - Im talking about Foster. Really boggled my mind as to why he didn't get as many looks as he had in seasons past.
I wondered about Foster. Still don't get it.
Old 06-21-2013   #54
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216794 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Outside of Hopkin's capabilities, my concern is with the health of Schaub's foot
FIFY

Quote:
I'll fill you in after I ask the question , its one that really didn't cross my mind until that reply.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013   #55
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With how many carries he got last year they might have been trying to limit his total touches. Of course this is utter speculation and he might not have bee catching the ball that well in practice who knows.
Old 06-22-2013   #56
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, that is a pretty bold and safe statement. Multi year pro-bowler versus a rookie and they guard the rookie differently?
Did you read the post that I responded to? I know I wasn't breaking any news, lol.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013   #57
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Good chance though not a sure thing that eventually Hopkins will be our #1 WR depending on how his career develops and to what degree he succeeds as an NFL receiver, but in the meantime being the #2 is the ideal scenario for him with Johnson appearing to still be a very good #1 WR.
I like to compare it to what teams reportedly are planning to do with their OT picks in this years draft, including the very highest picks like Fischer in KC, Joeckel in Jacksonville, and Johnson in Philly who were all LTs in college. For atleast the first year or 2, these teams are going to play these guys at RT and then eventually move them over to the more challenging LT position.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
With how many carries he got last year they might have been trying to limit his total touches. Of course this is utter speculation and he might not have bee catching the ball that well in practice who knows.
Did he just not go into a route?

I'd have to imagine he went out for a pass just as often as he did in previous years, Schaub either didn't have time to check it down or he found a better target.

We didn't run as many HB screens as we have in the past, I don't think. I'm sure that was part of it.
Old 06-22-2013   #59
beerlover
Site Contributor

Off season is full of conjecture & anticipation for upcoming season, happens every summer. there may be unrealistic expectations/hopes based on many factors your pick - Kubiak tendencies, past years WR production for Texans, current state of roster, historical rookie success in the NFL, College numbers as well as scouting reports/analysis & player comparisons. Back to Hakeem Nicks who I followed & was my favorite WR in College back in 09. Comparing him to Hopkins is quite the compliment in my book. So color me guilty of high expectations, like Texan Chick (good article) been extremely impressed with his work ethic & attitude something you need to see in camp to verify.

Let me flash another angle based off his College production @ Clemson were he played with a higher rated & probable future early, maybe top 10 WR in teammate Sammy Watkins. All DeAndre did was assert himself, the #2 WR on this club with 82 receptions, 1405 yards, 17.3 avg. per catch & 18 TD's. Watkins caught 57 balls, 708 yards, 12.42 avg. per catch & 3 TD's. We all would love to see that kinda of production from Hopkins for the Texans but don't expect Andre Johnson, unless injured, to drop off his game like Watkins still it does provide an example that DeAndre is capable of being the teams #1 WR option if so used.

Hence I consider my expectations of 55/800/17/7 well within reasonable certainty based off values coming into the NFL fitting on roster, in this system with Gary Kubiak as his head coach. FWIW

BL

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 06-22-2013   #60
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I thought that had come up during the season.

But also, going just from memory and feeling, he dropped a lot of balls last year that he normally would have caught in previous years. And when he drops a ball, it usually kills a drive because it's on a 3rd down where he gets the ball around the line of scrimmage and is expected to do his thing to get to the first down marker.

In previous years, he caught those things and broke them. Last year, not so much.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read