Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-20-2013   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What are realistic projections for DeAndre Hopkins?

Don't answer the question. Because I'm not sure.

But I do frame the question with a lot of contextual, perspective stuff which is what a lot of my blog posts do. Maybe a few things that will surprise.

What are realistic projections for Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins?
Old 06-20-2013   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: What are realistic projections for DeAndre Hopkins?

Good read.

I think most people are going to be disappointed by he receptions & yards. His true value, imo, will come off his avg & his touchdown. We need someone to stretch the field & score TDs. That's what will free up Andre & the gang.
Old 06-20-2013   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Good read.

I think most people are going to be disappointed by he receptions & yards. His true value, imo, will come off his avg & his touchdown. We need someone to stretch the field & score TDs. That's what will free up Andre & the gang.
Im not going to read the article - I refuse to click for the Crapical .... Sorry TC.

As for being disappointed , that's a possibility but I think many may end up surprised by the numbers he puts up. He played against some tough defenses in LSU (13/191 yards & 2 TD's) , Auburn (13/91 & 1 TD).
He also had some of his best moments when it mattered most ....

What I think might disappoint people is the average as while he has long speed and will get some YAC , he's a possession type receiver when all is said and done.

I'll be happy with 60 catches and an average around 12.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Numbers are misleading if that is how you choose to measure #2 WR in Kubiak system. Traditional blocking possession receiver who is 3rd/4th option. However if #1 goes out for any extended period all bets are off. DeAndre could really fill the void & that is something Texans have never had. IMO

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #5
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Thorough job of analyzing our top pick T_C.
Now my biggest question is did the Texans make the right decision in going with
the very competent Hopkins with the promise of more near-term productive ability vs the potential of a genuine burner like either one of the Tennessee WR prospects, Patterson or Hunter ? And I like Hopkins' hands, but just wonder if the offense wouldn't have been better served with one of the speed guys who unlike Hopkins could definitely have stretched the field ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Good read.

I don't know about you, but if he starts catching a bunch of TDs, that's just going to make me consider AJ's lack of TD production in a different light.
Old 06-20-2013   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I don't know about you, but if he starts catching a bunch of TDs, that's just going to make me consider AJ's lack of TD production in a different light.
Depends. If Andre has a good TD year I'd be convinced it wasn't an "Andre" problem, but more of a "who else are you going to guard" problem.
Old 06-20-2013   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm expecting around 750 yards for Hopkins. I have no TD expectations.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #9
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

i said around 55 catches and 760 yards with around 4 TDs after he was drafted.
Old 06-20-2013   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Julio Jones had 54 receptions on 96 targets for 959 yards and 8 TDs in his rookie year. Hopkins won't touch that, imo.

Walter had 68 targets in 2012.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Julio Jones had 54 receptions on 96 targets for 959 yards and 8 TDs in his rookie year. Hopkins won't touch that, imo.

Walter had 68 targets in 2012.
Two totally different offenses ....and Jones didn't have #80 opposite him. Its very possible Hopkins ends up with 60 catches.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Numbers are misleading if that is how you choose to measure #2 WR in Kubiak system. Traditional blocking possession receiver who is 3rd/4th option. However if #1 goes out for any extended period all bets are off. DeAndre could really fill the void & that is something Texans have never had. IMO
Again very astute comment my Amigo! Fans should not overlook that if AJ goes out Hopkins should be able to fill in. As you point out Texans have never had that. Hopkins was one of a very few in this draft that were #1 potentials. That insurance is great to have.

Side note, check out my thread about Outlaw Shootout in Entertainment forum. Mario Williams will have his boat here.
Old 06-20-2013   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Im not going to read the article - I refuse to click for the Crapical .... Sorry TC.
You know how you encourage good articles? You click on good articles. That encourages the powers that be that quality content is worth hosting.

That anyone clicks on my articles at the Chronicle is the reason why I can go to camp and write things that are details fans care about.

If my articles do not get page views, then at some point the blog will go away. The NYTs has eliminated many of their sports blogs, and probably wouldn't had they got more page hits.

Clicking on analysis pieces gets more analysis pieces. If you don't, then the slideshow and crap content wins.
Old 06-20-2013   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Thorough job of analyzing our top pick T_C.
Now my biggest question is did the Texans make the right decision in going with
the very competent Hopkins with the promise of more near-term productive ability vs the potential of a genuine burner like either one of the Tennessee WR prospects, Patterson or Hunter ? And I like Hopkins' hands, but just wonder if the offense wouldn't have been better served with one of the speed guys who unlike Hopkins could definitely have stretched the field ?
I think Hopkins has the potential to blow the top off the offense.

I've watched him run into an extra gear. He is very, very aggressive once in the ball is in the air. Hard to knock off his stride, catches the ball even with interference.

So no, he's not a 40 time guy, but neither was Jerry Rice. You aren't going to be a great GM if you go after slowish guys from small schools on a regular basis. But you go after special guys.

I think Hopkins has the potential to be a special player. I see the physical tools-- just about learning the offense.
Old 06-20-2013   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Good read.

I hope we are *disappointed* in receptions/yards/TDs even.

That likely means that the defense is wrecking shop and the running game works the way it does best.

Let fantasy football peoples be concerned with numbers.

I think the point isn't just stretching the field, it is in general, making teams pay if they key too much on Arian Foster, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, etc.

Another reliable option means in any one play, you can kill the defense if they overplay anyone. If Hopkins learns up the offense, and Andre Johnson stays healthy, Hopkins will be able to abuse defenses.

But there will be up and downs--mistakes by wide receivers tend to be glaring and bad timing and can be devastating if it results in an interception.
Old 06-20-2013   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Again very astute comment my Amigo! Fans should not overlook that if AJ goes out Hopkins should be able to fill in.
As a rookie? I'd be very impressed.

Now if Andre were to go down later in the year & Posey is back, or if LeStar had a great year, then maybe... maybe. But if we're talking about no Andre in week 5 & we go out there with DeAndre, LeStar, KMart...... @ SanFrancisco??

I'm not holding my breath.
Old 06-20-2013   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Two totally different offenses ....and Jones didn't have #80 opposite him...
The guy next to Jones was 2nd in receptions with 100 that year.

Jone's was a very good recent rookie WR season with a decent(+) QB and a very good #1 for comparison.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

That anyone clicks on my articles at the Chronicle is the reason why I can go to camp and write things that are details fans care about.
So... what's going on at Reliant right now? Do you think you can get in & strike up a conversation with someone? Cedric Smith? Jeff Zgonina? Marciano?

Maybe an update on the scoreboard?

Something? I'm feemin hard.
Old 06-20-2013   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
So... what's going on at Reliant right now? Do you think you can get in & strike up a conversation with someone? Cedric Smith? Jeff Zgonina? Marciano?

Maybe an update on the scoreboard?

Something? I'm feemin hard.
It is vacation time. For a while.

And even it is wasn't, you can't just go walking around Reliant with a notepad and camera like Lois Lane scaling mountains in the dark in the arctic. You do interviews at time when interviews can be done--or set them up through PR staff.

So, in other words, this is the time of year where I do analysis focused pieces instead of news focused ones.
Old 06-20-2013   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
It is vacation time. For a while.

So, in other words, this is the time of year where I do analysis focused pieces instead of news focused ones.
I think the system focus is a bit misplaced. Have you examined 1st round picks who came into the league to be #2 WRs?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read