Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-19-2013   #1
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default PFT: Texans Mount Rushmore

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...vely-speaking/

Quote:
In the league only 11 years, the Texans waited until their 10th season to make it to the postseason. Which should skew their Mt. Rushmore toward the more recent contributors.

It didn’t. In large part because the most important player in team history has been there for 10 of the 11 seasons. And receiver Andre Johnson has shown no signs of slowing down.

Along with Johnson, owner Bob McNair, running back Arian Foster, and defensive end J.J. Watt made it onto the mountain.
I'm surprised that Bob McNair made it on the mountain instead of another player. Should have been Cushing instead IMO.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: PFT: Texans Mount Rushmore

For what it's worth, McNair is viewed as the guy who brought back football to Houston so I'm fine with him being on there and Cushing not.
Old 06-19-2013   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
For what it's worth, McNair is viewed as the guy who brought back football to Houston so I'm fine with him being on there and Cushing not.
I don't have a problem with that choice but I think Florio is wrong in saying Cushing has never been the same since his suspension. I think that is just ignorant.
Old 06-19-2013   #4
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I voted for McNair, Andre, Watt and Duane Brown. So, I was close.

What I found interesting was that, in the voting, there were no options from the Casserly era.

When they started doing this and it was talked about on the radio it was almost unanimous that Aaron Glenn would be in the running for it. He wasn't even an option.
Old 06-19-2013   #5
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 110481 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I don't have a problem with that choice but I think Florio is wrong in saying Cushing has never been the same since his suspension. I think that is just ignorant.
Florio smokes crack, and is a known Texans hater so its no surprise.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013   #6
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Totally disagree with the pick of Watt, no matter how great his 2012 season was. That's just a single season, and he's only been on the team and in the league for 2 years.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Totally disagree with the pick of Watt, no matter how great his 2012 season was. That's just a single season, and he's only been on the team and in the league for 2 years.
That single season will be remembered for a very very long time in how dominant it truly was.
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2013   #8
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was also arguably the greatest season a DL has ever had. If you put up a season that ranks in the greatest of all time category you get onto the Mount Rushmore list.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013   #9
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's been on the team for 2 out of 11 years, not coincidentally the only two resulting in playoff berths and division titles - it's all relative. Additionally, while 2012 was the year that was arguably the greatest of all time for a DL, the interception returned for a TD in the first Cincy wildcard game may very well be the most significant single play in the team's short history.
Old 06-19-2013   #10
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Fair enough.

I'd have liked to see Duane Brown in there, maybe over Arian?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013   #11
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is my list organized by categories:

Certifiable locks
Andre is no brainer. The best of the early era and possibly the first HOF player. Has been doing it at a high level for a long time.

Not a certifiable lock but a near certainity
Watt should have been a lock. While he has only played 2 seasons, one of those seasons was one of the greatest of all time for a DL. Anytime you do anything on that level, especially for such a young franchise, you get in.

McNair. He brought the game back to Houston, hosted 1 superbowl, and has gotten another. He is the consummate professional and whenever people talk about him they talk about him in a positive manner. He has done a great job promoting the brand. More over he realizes his own deficits. He is not a Jerry Jones type who thinks he knows more than others. He learns and goes forward. One of the better group of owners in the league.

Consideration

At this point there are several people who could have made it and definitely deserve consideration.

My choice would have been Aaron Glenn. He may still be the best CB this team has ever had. While Joseph is good, Glenn was a multitime probowler who managed to stay healthy. He was the team's first Probowler and was arguably the best player on Defense. On a team where there have been few probowlers in total, the guy who did it first deserves serious consideration.

Other possibilities:
1. Arian Foster: dynamic RB and good person. Helped change the culture of losing.

2. Duane Brown: one of the best OL in the league. Protects Schaub's back and help create running holes for Foster.

3. Matt Schaub. I may get some flack for this, but he changed the culture. Infinitely better than Carr, Schaub has had 1 losing season, 2 .500 seasons, and a couple of winning seasons in his tenor in Htown. Carr never had a winning season in his time here or in Carolina. In a QB driven league, the best QB your team has ever had deserves consideration.

4. Chester Pitts. The stallwarth of the early OL. While there were numerous experiments with the likes of Wand and others, Pitts went out and played the OL. He was great at OT and OG. He played 3 or 4 of the OL positions well. On a team devoid of real stars, he was certainly one of them.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013   #12
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
It was also arguably the greatest season a DL has ever had. If you put up a season that ranks in the greatest of all time category you get onto the Mount Rushmore list.
But it was just one season. Watt most likely won't have a "statistical" season this year anything like the past year, and much of that of course will be because teams will be game-planning for him in a way they haven't done up until now. But I'm in the minority here, because even my own wife (also a huge Texans fan)
has Watt in her group.
My own choices: Bob McNair, Andre Johnson, Demeco Ryans, Matt Schaub.
Old 06-19-2013   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McNair. He brought the game back to Houston, hosted 1 superbowl, and has gotten another. He is the consummate professional and whenever people talk about him they talk about him in a positive manner. He has done a great job promoting the brand. More over he realizes his own deficits. He is not a Jerry Jones type who thinks he knows more than others. He learns and goes forward. One of the better group of owners in the league.
I think people really underestimate the SB deal. McNair also became one of the most influential owners very quickly.

Quote:
Consideration

At this point there are several people who could have made it and definitely deserve consideration.

My choice would have been Aaron Glenn. He may still be the best CB this team has ever had. While Joseph is good, Glenn was a multitime probowler who managed to stay healthy. He was the team's first Probowler and was arguably the best player on Defense. On a team where there have been few probowlers in total, the guy who did it first deserves serious consideration.
I still don't get Florio limiting the candidates for the Texans. People should have been able to vote for Glenn. Now the flipside of that is it goes against the anti-Watt argument as Glenn was only here for 3 years.

Glenn was technically tied for first probowler. Gary Walker went in 2002 as well.
Old 06-19-2013   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster
Watt
Andre
Cushing

no brainer!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Particularly true on a team that's only got a decade's worth of players to choose from with the majority of the first half of that being guys who never made much of an impact anywhere. 2 years like Watt has had easily puts him on the Texans Mt. Rushmore. Easily.
Old 06-19-2013   #16
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Completely concur - and more credibly and objectively, so does the AP, who named Cushing 2nd team All Pro for the 2011 season.

I will add that due to the express criteria that coaches, front office personnel and owners were expressly to be included in those considered, I believe McNair to be almost as much of a no-brainer as AJ.
Old 06-19-2013   #17
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 15034 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But it was just one season. Watt most likely won't have a "statistical" season this year anything like the past year, and much of that of course will be because teams will be game-planning for him in a way they haven't done up until now. But I'm in the minority here, because even my own wife (also a huge Texans fan)
has Watt in her group.
My own choices: Bob McNair, Andre Johnson, Demeco Ryans, Matt Schaub.
You dont think teams gameplanned for Watt by atleast the halfway point last year. He is this era's Reggie White. C'mon Tenn. drafted Warmack just for Watt, like we took Mario for Peyton and look how that played out.
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #18
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ive stopped using the 'arguably' part myself. i used it just after the season but after looking at it, JJ's season was historic in every single category. he didnt get the strahan sack record but when you factor in his tfl's, passes deflected etc it was UNARGUABLY the greatest overall season by a defensive player in nfl history
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #19
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

btw my own vote was mcnair, kubiak, JJ and AJ
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013   #20
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
You dont think teams gameplanned for Watt by atleast the halfway point last year. He is this era's Reggie White. C'mon Tenn. drafted Warmack just for Watt, like we took Mario for Peyton and look how that played out.
The Titans probably drafted offensive lineman Warmack for the same resaon the Houston Oilers did it with their first-round picks multiple years back in the day - used it on top OLinemen like the Titans current HC & OLine coach and they would have done the same thing whether or not the Texans had Watt just as the Texans wisely took Mario because they viewed him as the top prospect in that draft, not because of Manning.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read