Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-17-2013   #121
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [ESPN] FB Vonta Leach eyes Texans return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
2. Jones has better hands than Leach.
Why does this keep getting asserted? Jones is a better open field runner I can understand.
Old 06-17-2013   #122
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Why does this keep getting asserted? Jones is a better open field runner I can understand.
It's the offseason. We can't beat each other with any more facts so we might as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #123
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I guess I didn't say it as clearly as I wanted. What I mean is he is able to catch the ball a little more easily which enables him to get into his open field running a bit better than Leach. While Leach can certainly catch he is not the same type of open field runner. Jones is a more fluid catcher (i think he was used that way in college too) and can certainly make moves in the open field. Leach is not quite as good, but when he gets the ball will run you over.

I am not sure I would want to sign leach, I was just trying to come up with ways to use him. In a perfect world. I would use the money I would have given leach to resign Winston to play RT...

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #124
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I guess I didn't say it as clearly as I wanted. What I mean is he is able to catch the ball a little more easily which enables him to get into his open field running a bit better than Leach. While Leach can certainly catch he is not the same type of open field runner. Jones is a more fluid catcher (i think he was used that way in college too) and can certainly make moves in the open field. Leach is not quite as good, but when he gets the ball will run you over.

I am not sure I would want to sign leach, I was just trying to come up with ways to use him. In a perfect world. I would use the money I would have given leach to resign Winston to play RT...
As much as I disliked Winston, I'd go for this. He's much better than what we have to choose from this year, especially early in the year.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #125
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"I know I can play in this league, and I've got some teams that are courting me," Leach said Friday, according to the Daily Reflector. "In the next two weeks, I know where I'll be playing."

Leach has called a return to the Houston Texans, where he earned his first Pro Bowl selection in 2010, his first choice. He visited with the Miami Dolphins last week. Nearly every team that features a fullback has been connected to Leach at some point in the last week.

"There are a lot of teams out there that want me; about seven teams," Leach said. "Me and my agent are going to take our time and see what's the best fit for me. I'm probably going to play three more years before I hang it up."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...thin-two-weeks
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #126
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
As much as I disliked Winston, I'd go for this. He's much better than what we have to choose from this year, especially early in the year.
I never disliked him, per se, just understood his weaknesses against speed rushers. He's still a better option right now than anything the Texans have ready.

Can we have both?

Old 06-18-2013   #127
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I never disliked him, per se, just understood his weaknesses against speed rushers. He's still a better option right now than anything the Texans have ready.

Can we have both?

Probably not. There's about 4 or 5 million reasons a year why Winston isn't currently signed. He's probably also going to actually look in earnest for a job once teams are into TC, so he doesn't have to go through that again.
Old 06-18-2013   #128
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I think Newton was an instant upgrade in pass protection until his injury.

I don't like to "hope" that a guy can return to form when preparing for next year. & being that our new guy is also coming off injury... I really don't like the situation we are in.

Picking up Eric would be nice, we can cross that off the list. But at what cost. I don't think he should play over a healthy Newton. So.... how much money do we want sitting on our bench?

Harris fits that bill. We're not paying him so much that he'll go to waste on our bench. We can cut him before the season starts if Newton & Williams are 100% (which we should know a few weeks into camp).

Worse case scenario, we go into the season with Harris starting & Quiz is our only "healthy" second option. For that to happen, both Newton & Williams has to have major set backs with their injuries.

I think that is an acceptable risk/rewards option & I don't see the point of bringing Winston back.

If I looked at the whole team that way my only concern is NT.

Not because we don't have a big fat guy for the position, but because Eric Mitchell is the only known commodity to me. I don't know any of the back up guys. I've seen Crick take a few snaps there, but I don't think it's a position he can "hold down" if needed.

& Safety. Keo is still too high on the depth chart.
Old 06-18-2013   #129
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think Newton was an instant upgrade in pass protection until his injury.

I don't like to "hope" that a guy can return to form when preparing for next year. & being that our new guy is also coming off injury... I really don't like the situation we are in.

Picking up Eric would be nice, we can cross that off the list. But at what cost. I don't think he should play over a healthy Newton. So.... how much money do we want sitting on our bench?

Harris fits that bill. We're not paying him so much that he'll go to waste on our bench. We can cut him before the season starts if Newton & Williams are 100% (which we should know a few weeks into camp).Worse case scenario, we go into the season with Harris starting & Quiz is our only "healthy" second option. For that to happen, both Newton & Williams has to have major set backs with their injuries.

I think that is an acceptable risk/rewards option & I don't see the point of bringing Winston back.

If I looked at the whole team that way my only concern is NT.

Not because we don't have a big fat guy for the position, but because Eric Mitchell is the only known commodity to me. I don't know any of the back up guys. I've seen Crick take a few snaps there, but I don't think it's a position he can "hold down" if needed.

& Safety. Keo is still too high on the depth chart.
I think I know who you meant.

On the other question, my guess is that Harris/Quiz may very well be the two a RT. I have questions of both Newton and Williams being fully game ready by the beginning of the season. I feel that as far as Winston, his idea of a "home town discount" would run something like 1%....he thinks way too much of himself.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #130
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Every since this story came out, its been on my mind. I REALLY hope they can maneuver some cash around to get him here.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #131
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Please show some of the 2 FB sets used in the NFL last year.
green bay still runs the full house package, and some of the pistol/option teams are using 3 back sets. of course it's usually 2 halfbacks instead of fullbacks, but i could certainly see kubiak doing something like this, especially late in games with a lead.
Old 06-18-2013   #132
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think lack of team success has hurt jones in some regard. Leach is not head and shoulders better than Greg jones.

I think it was Cushing that said he was glad that he wouldn't have to be meeting jones in the hole anymore when playing the jags.
Both of the above statements made because Jones is on the roster.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #133
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
or maybe Cushing actually meant what he said.
Old 06-18-2013   #134
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I think I know who you meant.

On the other question, my guess is that Harris/Quiz may very well be the two a RT. I have questions of both Newton and Williams being fully game ready by the beginning of the season. I feel that as far as Winston, his idea of a "home town discount" would run something like 1%....he thinks way too much of himself.
My concern is Williams moreso than Newton. Newton played last year and has some experience. Williams got hurt the first day or two of OTAs. He is WAY behind Quiz and Harris. Considering he is that far behind, I would not be surprised if he is IRed in order to give Quiz and Harris some more snaps. I think we will know in thee first couple of weeks of camp. If they bring in a Winston type at that point it suggests Newton is further behind than indicated. If they don't, perhaps they think Harris/Quiz can hold down the fort until Newton is ready to go.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #135
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Well thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Has nothing to do with whether the statements are sincere.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013   #136
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
or maybe Cushing actually meant what he said.
Year in & year out, MJD has been among the leagues leading rushers.
Old 06-18-2013   #137
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Year in & year out, MJD has been among the leagues leading rushers.
For those arguing that you don't want to spend money on someone who is going to be playing a lesser percentage of plays.

In 2009, MJD's most productive year, Jones was in on only 40% of total offensive plays. Some positions can create great impact with limited appearances.

Leach was on the field for the Ravens ~ 37% of the offensive plays and ~ the same for the Texans..........but the teams were made much better for it.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #138
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

John Clayton says we're in on him. Too lazy to grab the quotes from Twitter.

I GUESS they can balance Jones and Leach?
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #139
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
John Clayton says we're in on him. Too lazy to grab the quotes from Twitter.

I GUESS they can balance Jones and Leach?
Greg Jones only has $240k guaranteed money so it is pretty much guat in the grand scheme.
Old 06-21-2013   #140
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind having Greg Jones for special teams and as an emergency running back, assuming we pick up Leach. It can't hurt to have a back-up fullback like Jones who is versatile and also cheap.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read