Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-16-2013   #101
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [ESPN] FB Vonta Leach eyes Texans return?

If Leach cap could be made right, I'd still like to have both and dump a bench guy at another position. BTW, Clutts is still on roster I believe at $555,000 cap space, non guaranteed with no dead $. Not much but that could go to Leach as part of his deal.
Old 06-16-2013   #102
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If Leach cap could be made right, I'd still like to have both and dump a bench guy at another position. BTW, Clutts is still on roster I believe at $555,000 cap space, non guaranteed with no dead $. Not much but that could go to Leach as part of his deal.
I can see both Leach and Jones ending up on this year's roster.........Leach lives here, identifies with the Texans, likely to give a home town discount............and I truly believe that Kubiak is actively pursuing him........wanting him and the creative FB-heavy packages he and Jones could bring with it for critical situations that the Texans had few answers and little success in the past.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013   #103
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
To me, I feel like the reason we kept CLutts on the roster after we signed Jones, was to run a 2 FB set every now and then. IF we could land Leach, I'm certain we release Clutts, and have a great blocking tandem in Leach and Jones.

When Jones gets tired, get Leach in there, or vice versa.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013   #104
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
To me, I feel like the reason we kept CLutts on the roster after we signed Jones, was to run a 2 FB set every now and then.
Please show some of the 2 FB sets used in the NFL last year.
Old 06-16-2013   #105
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be interesting to see a variation of the old T-formation.

Old 06-16-2013   #106
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

We probably still wouldn't PA Fake on 1st Goal w that offense. 3 runs and a FG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013   #107
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a 6 page thread about a fullback. My god the off season is long!
Old 06-16-2013   #108
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
And it's gonna seem longer if we get into talking about 2 FB sets. Jiminy Cricket!! A 2 FB set??? Really?? Hell, it might be so crazy it could work a couple of times.
Old 06-17-2013   #109
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hasn't Kubes been keeping 2 FB's of late? Vickers and that other guy both stuck around with Casey. I know the Casey thing was experimental but this isn't a huge departure guys.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #110
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Please show some of the 2 FB sets used in the NFL last year.
Just speculation.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #111
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
We probably still wouldn't PA Fake on 1st Goal w that offense. 3 runs and a FG.
I dunno.... we've done P/A passes out of three TE sets. Snuck one of the TEs into the flat while Schaub/Foster sells the run. Dreessen used to be pretty good at that in the redzone.

No reason why two TEs and 3 RB sets (with Jones on the end like the third TE and Leach in the backfield) wouldn't totally sell the run fake and get one of the TEs loose for an easy catch.

Heck, maybe Schaub could keep it and bootleg it into the endzone....
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #112
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I dunno.... we've done P/A passes out of three TE sets. Snuck one of the TEs into the flat while Schaub/Foster sells the run. Dreessen used to be pretty good at that in the redzone.

No reason why two TEs and 3 RB sets (with Jones on the end like the third TE and Leach in the backfield) wouldn't totally sell the run fake and get one of the TEs loose for an easy catch.

Heck, maybe Schaub could keep it and bootleg it into the endzone....
The award for first chuckle of the day goes to you sir.
Hahaha good way to start a Monday.

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 06-17-2013   #113
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jones was a Pro Bowl Alt in '07 and Leach has gone twice. Personally, Pro Bowl FB means to much to me as Pro Bowl ST'er.

Both guys have proven not only a willingness but a desire to block.
I think lack of team success has hurt jones in some regard. Leach is not head and shoulders better than Greg jones.

I think it was Cushing that said he was glad that he wouldn't have to be meeting jones in the hole anymore when playing the jags.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #114
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
LOL I had to rep this because I thought the same thing. Six pages on a guy most likely not on the radar just shows how much we miss football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Hasn't Kubes been keeping 2 FB's of late? Vickers and that other guy both stuck around with Casey. I know the Casey thing was experimental but this isn't a huge departure guys.
No, we just had Vickers and Casey and that was because Casey wasn't a good lead blocker. There wasn't any other FB and of course Casey wasn't just a FB. Jones and Leach are FB's and nothing more. So I would say it's a bit of a reach especially citing the money equation in it all. It would be something else if our FB was...well...Clutts since he's rather poor at blocking. But we're talking Greg Jones one of the better run blocking FB's in the league.

Just doesn't make sense to invest that type of money in one position that sees the field 35-40% of the time.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #115
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think lack of team success has hurt jones in some regard. Leach is not head and shoulders better than Greg jones.

I think it was Cushing that said he was glad that he wouldn't have to be meeting jones in the hole anymore when playing the jags.
Good Lord I butchered that post...glad someone was able to make sense of it.

I think they're easily the best 2 FBs in the league. Can't go wrong with either but can we afford a roster spot for a 2nd FB/STer? That would be one hell of a 2 man "wedge", Leach and Jones.

Quote:
Old 06-17-2013   #116
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good Lord I butchered that post...glad someone was able to make sense of it.

I think they're easily the best 2 FBs in the league. Can't go wrong with either but can we afford a roster spot for a 2nd FB/STer? That would be one hell of a 2 man "wedge", Leach and Jones.
Ooooh... Now THERE'S a very interesting thought...
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #117
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
.....then would the player caught in the middle be called "The Wedgee"??........
Old 06-17-2013   #118
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
Never have two grown men holding hands been more intimidating! They'd have to be good for an extra 5-10 yards.

Quote:
Old 06-17-2013   #119
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Just to clarify, I am not calling for sets with two full backs. I am saying I would like to see a more run dominated offense with Foster/ Tate running behind Jones/Leach.
Old 06-17-2013   #120
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Couple ideas:

1. Could Greg Jones become the #2 RB behind Foster and be used in short yardage? A system where Leach makes a hole for Jones would be potentially scary.

2. Jones has better hands than Leach. Could Jones become the safety valve TE/FB option that acts like a blocker and then drops into the flats to get a pass or two?

3. Use a 2 FB set where each FB runs forward and makes a whole one one side of the OL. This confuses defenses since they don't know which hole the RB would go through. This would make the defense flinch for a second or two which could result in an improved running game.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read